Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 1,317

StableInvadeel

And we haven't even talked about cousin Chrono.

Poor guy just tells the same stories about his glory days on every family reunion.

Romani Ranch enthusiast.

Eh! My gameplay videos

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Venus_Adept

Morpheel wrote:

And we haven't even talked about cousin Chrono.

Poor guy just tells the same stories about his glory days on every family reunion.

A funny, but sad true.

Venus_Adept

Snaplocket

@Morpheel Except that one time he took drugs and talked about a crazy cat man that killed his best friend. And that was awesome.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

-Juice-

OBJECTION!!!!

Game Freak does not make the models, that task goes to Creatures Inc.
None of this is surprising though, because Game Freak's PR has been wiling to lie many times outside of just the modelling department. The animations are not new, Pokemon like Tyranitar still are not properly scaled in battle (but are properly scaled in the over-world), and the "balance" excuse went out the window the moment they made a battle feature that only select Pokemon can use.

I can handle losing the National Dex, but what I do not like is being lied to.

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

-Green-

Yeah I’m calling a lie there too. There’s no way they had to redo every model. Not to mention the amount of time it would take to make every model look as identical as they are now to the previous ones would be absurd

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Octoguy

I don’t believe GF had to redo every model but if it is true then GF is really stupid, they had the chance to change the game’s visuals to something better, but they opted to recreate every 3DS model the way they were before, even when they knew that people would get angry with them, GF went out of their way to upset fans.

Playing: Splatoon 2, Pokémon Let’s Go, Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Super Mario Maker 2

Let’s play together! ⭐️

Switch Friend Code: SW-6548-3003-2425

MsJubilee

@Tsurii Don't take everything at face value.

I've died,there is no more me.

If it's bitter at the start. Then it's sweeter in the end.

Reading Grappler Baki & The Saga of Tanya the Evil(light novel volume one).

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Anti-Matter

Disney movies also have some Deja Vu animations from previous movies.

Disney did before Gamefreak.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

-Green-

Tons of people reuse animations and models etc. the reason some people are upset with Gamefreak about it is that they don’t like that Gamefreak is using greater quality animations and such as a justification for the cutting of Pokémon. That and some are upset that they’re still reusing 3DS era animations.

Ralizah

What's the opposite of damage control? lol

Look, I think this is a stupid controversy in the first place (especially the thing where we ignore how pretty the rest of the game looks because one tree somewhere in an unfinished project looks bad), but this excuse making isn't a good look.

They have three options (that I can see):
1) Own the direction they're going and stop making excuses for their decisions.
2) Pull a Sonic the Hedgehog and delay the game so that they can make the necessary changes to please the fans (though I imagine Nintendo would not be enthusiastic about sinking their lucrative holiday season sales, especially after Animal Crossing was delayed into next year)
3) Release the game as it is, promise to patch in support for the rest of the Mons over time, and promise to "do better" in the future regarding the Pokemon animations

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Anti-Matter

@Ralizah
Pokemon Sword / Shield will features Zacian & Zamazenta as Wolf Pokemons.
I think Gamefreaks should learn from TECMO how to animate Wolf monster beautifully like Tiger from Monster Rancher 4 PS2.
Just my opinion.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Monkeido

@Ralizah You forgot number 4: Just keep doing what you're doing and still make tons of money.

Monkeido

iKhan

Ralizah wrote:

2) Pull a Sonic the Hedgehog and delay the game so that they can make the necessary changes to please the fans (though I imagine Nintendo would not be enthusiastic about sinking their lucrative holiday season sales, especially after Animal Crossing was delayed into next year)

This is why I have some sympathy for Game Freak here. They don't have the freedom every other developer under Nintendo has to delay when its necessary. They have effectively become slaves to the greater franchise at this point.

TPC is just such a monolith, and they need Game Freak to keep feeding it.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

CanisWolfred

Octane wrote:

@Tsurii Check the second clip. I don't believe any of it.

It uses the same animation, but clearly has different models. The article itself said that the staff was split into two groups, so only half of their art team are working on Pokemon. They did indeed have to do some copy/paste with animations, but the models themselves had to be redone. The larger areas, more involved backrounds during gym battles, etc. likely required that more people than usual from modeling and animation had to be moved to this second group, leaving the guys at Gamefreak in charge of handling the Pokemon and their various attacks shorthanded.

-Juice- wrote:

OBJECTION!!!!

Game Freak does not make the models, that task goes to Creatures Inc.

No they don't. Not for the main games in the series, at least. Game Freak handles the models for the main games in-house. They did provide assistance on Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, looking at their official website, but Creature is mostly in charge of other aspects of the franchise.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Tsurii

@-Juice- Wolfred beat me to it (not that I didn't take my sweet time even looking at this again) but Creatures hasn't even been credited on the 3D Pokémon games. I'm pretty sure they still play a big part in modeling, but Gamefreak have to actually implement s*** themselves and I know that they, at the very least, modeled the (new) Pokémon in X/Y because I do remember reading something involving Sugimori talking about that ages ago. It's probably real easy to find that one.
That said, Creatures are probably much more busy with other stuff because they handle TCG, spin-offs and I believe a bunch of the merchandise.

Anyway, I didn't mean to have y'all take the stuff they said around E3 about the models at face value. But knowing Gamefreak, and I doubt many will disagree with me on that, I can totally see them having done whatever "future proofing" they intended for the 3D(S) Pokémon models in a way closely tied to whatever engine they used for the 3DS games, fully expecting another handheld with similar architecture to the 3DS, and running into trouble when Switch wasn't just that. Just because they have a history of f***ing really stupid crap up as far as programming goes. The beyond convoluted and dumb programming for Gen 7 encounters is just the latest stop on that odyssey of theirs.

Also, of course the models will look very similar/close to identical to what was on 3DS.even if, they had to redo the models, that doesn't mean they have to redesign everything. But that's still a ton of work and a hell of a lot more than merely copy pasting what was on 3DS and throwing some prettier shaders and textures onto everything, which seems to be what most of the people whining about these things believe.

Again, we don't know what's actually going on with the models/Gamefreak, but they DID try to communicate a reason CLOSE to E3/the interviews that kickstarted the whole s***storm and everyone ignored them. Whether that's entirely true or not doesn't even matter. It's a believable reason, in my opinion and knowing Gamefreak's history. But I guess everyone can believe what they want. They did show that the visuals in general already improved a lot between trailers tho.

And...I'm not even gonna acknowledge the nonsense about reused animations because that's such a common, obvious thing to do for animation/videogames, I don't really see why people latch onto that.

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

-Green-

We can’t say for sure atm, since we don’t have the game here to actually break down, but I do have a innate bias against Pokémon and their PR talk. They usually just come up with some half baked excuse instead of just saying the actual truth

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic