Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch Lite Announced

Posts 141 to 146 of 146

BruceCM

I like how Nintendo have the top 13 places there, @Toy_Link .... Can't say I'm surprised that Lite did so well, though

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

aVagabond

I bought a switch lite. The yellow one.
But after a week of playing it, I returned it. It feels good in hands, but that's it. Nothing more.
I just felt that it is a half baked product. Barebone. It doesn't deserve the name "switch". I really tried to give it a chance. But, like I said, apart from the feeling when having it in hands... nope
The d-pad... I don't know if it was the unit I picked, but it felt so... low quality. It felt like a new 2ds xl d-pad. I played street fighter on it and out of 15 tries to pull off a dragon punch I succeeded 2 times. Many times I couldn't jump diagonally. As if it didn't register the input.
I liked the feel of buttons and joysticks, but that feeling of a potential drift occuring hovering over my head... nope
On the other hand, playing my other switch(v2) felt much better. It is a switch. Plus, it has a better battery, even though it is not a dedicated handheld. Ridiculous.

I would absolutely not recommend the switch lite. Maybe aftef the revision, after the potential joycon drift is dealt with. After better quality d-pad is added. And after it gets a new name, because the "switch" doesn't suit it well.

As long as we support these half finished products with our money, Nintendo will get away with it. Look at Microsoft and Sony. They don't degrade their products.

Use your common sense, not feelings induced through hype.

aVagabond

My Nintendo: aVagabond

rallydefault

@aVagabond
It is a half-baked product; it only does half of what a Switch is supposed to do.

The 2DS doesn't have the 3D, obviously, but it still has the double screens AND it managed to change the name slightly to accurately show what it's capable of. "Switch Lite" to me is just another Nintendo naming disaster, much like the Wii U. If I'm a totally unaware parent or grandparent, "Switch Lite" to me doesn't communicate its inability to switch. It literally still has "switch" in its name. I would probably say, "Well, it's smaller and it looks like the controllers don't disconnect." But otherwise I may be a bit in the dark about it missing half the Switch experience.

I also shake my head at this. And for $200 bucks, no less. Fine for an entry point for young kids, but otherwise... I really don't get it.

Anybody know if they're turning profit on these per unit?

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

aVagabond

@rallydefault
In a weird, sick way I'd like the switch lite to flop, or at least not reach expected sales goals. Only then will Nintendo realise it needs to improve.
Look at that mobile cart racing game. Money grabber. But it is we who allow this. Same as we allow incompetent self-absorbed polititians decide our fate.
Anyway, I gave the "switch" lite a chance. Liked the feel of it and the form factor, but nothing else.
I'll stick to my new 2ds xl(wtf is it with japanese and namings?) for my handhelding desires.
But probably in the near future will reduce gaming in general. Work, studies, reading. Plus of course, trying out these half baked products really puts me off of gaming in general. I miss the good old first game boy days.
Rant over

aVagabond

My Nintendo: aVagabond

rallydefault

@aVagabond
I miss the old days, too. In lots of ways.

Modern gaming is plagued by so many hobby-killing things: near-mandatory DLC/expansion passes, "open world" frenzy to the sacrifice of good gameplay, fps/resolution obsession, hardware iterations like never before, free-to-play/free-to-start "games," games as movies more than games, and so much more.

I mostly stick to Nintendo these days because they at least seem to be the least caught up in these trends, though that has started to change, especially with their mobile stuff in the last year. It's all about money, man, and you're right - years ago when companies started testing the waters with DLC and free to play, and consumers took the bait, we forever doomed ourselves. If only we could go back and NOT buy that Oblivion horse armor (for like 15 or 20 bucks, right? lol), those loot boxes, those whatever...

But we set our path, and now we're just left with pitiful little boycotts from time to time and stuff like that. I cringe to think what it would be like growing up as a "gamer" if I only started gaming on the PS3/Xbox 360 and onward.

Oh well. Back to the games. Let me try to find something where I don't have to climb towers to reveal portions of the map and various objectives. Maybe something where I don't need to collect 150 tree otter pelts to craft a bow upgrade. Or maybe something where a CASH SHOP isn't glowing on the main menu. And maybe I won't have to play it on my Switch Lite XL Ultra. <sigh>

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Sorry, this topic has been locked.