Forums

Topic: How Would You Rate This Year For the Switch? (2022)

Posts 1 to 20 of 26

iLikeUrAttitude

Hello like last year I'm going to sum up all the major (with some niche) games that have been released for the Switch this year and give my overall opinion of this year. Forgive me if I don't add that many games or don't include some I may not think they're "big" enough to put on this list or just out of laziness.
Before anyone points out that there is already a "review" thread for the year the reason I'm going about making this one is because that one is on gaming as a whole while I want to keep this on Switch focused.
If the two threads existing causes too much confusion then I can easily contact a mod to archive this one.

With that out of the way here is what released this year:

January:
Pokémon Legends: Arceus

February:
Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection (Switch)
Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream (Switch)

March:
TRIANGLE STRATEGY
Chocobo GP
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Rune Factory 5
Kirby and the Forgotten Land

April:
MLB The Show 22
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Neptunia x SENRAN KAGURA: Ninja Wars​
Zombie Army 4: Dead War
Nintendo Switch Sports

May:
Prinny Presents NIS Classics Volume 2
Touken Ranbu Warriors
PAC-MAN MUSEUM+
Kao the Kangaroo

June:
Wonder Boy Collection
Metal Max Xeno: Reborn
Mario Strikers: Battle League
Demon Slayer -Kimetsu no Yaiba- The Hinokami Chronicles
Wreckfest
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
Capcom Fighting Collection
AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative
Rabbids: Party of Legends

July:
KLONOA Phantasy Reverie Series
Severed Steel
Live A Live
Digimon Survive
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
MADiSON

August:
Pac-Man World Re-PAC
Nexomon + Nexomon: Extinction: Complete Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Prinny Presents NIS Classics Volume 3

September:
LEGO Brawls
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle R
Temtem
Splatoon 3
NBA 2K23
The DioField Chronicle
Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero
Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris
FIFA 23

October:
NieR:Automata The End of YoRHa Edition
No Man's Sky
Them's Fightin' Herds
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Persona 5 Royal
Bayonetta 3

November:
It Takes Two
Harvestella
Sonic Frontiers
Sifu
Tactics Ogre: Reborn
Pokémon Scarlet and Violet

December:
Dragon Quest Treasures
Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII- Reunion

So those were the most relevant release I could think of.
Overall I think this was another solid year for the Switch, regarding my bias aside for a moment I think there was a clear balance of games throughout the year released to the point where there were little to no droughts for the userbase. Weakest month probably goes to August though, but the next immediately redeemed itself with Splatoon 3. I'm having a hard time deciding which year I prefer between this one of 2021 - on one hand 2021 gave me MH Rise, MH Stories 2 and SMT V while this year gave me Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3 and Thems Fightin herds.

This may change but as it currently stands I would rate the years for the Switch as follows:

2017 > 2021 > 2022 > 2019 >2020 > 2018

What do you all think of this year? And how is compares to the others in your opinion?

Edited on by iLikeUrAttitude

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

blindsquirrel

2/10, the only games that I bought ( that released in the year) were Kirby and Lego Star Wars. Kirby was fun but Star Wars was a huge disappointment. I am getting Legends Arceaus for Christmas , so that might raise the score, but it alone can’t save the year.

If I had to rate the years it would be:

1. 2017
2. 2020

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

kkslider5552000

A 7/10 by Switch standards, an 8/10 by general Nintendo standards, and at least a 9/10 by 2022 standards.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

iLikeUrAttitude

@kkslider5552000 By 'Switch Standards' do you mean in terms of 1st party games? In case that I would agree.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Pizzamorg

Looking at it all laid out like that, the Switch year as a whole is worse than I realised. The Switch sorta didn’t really start delivering until the summertime, and while it remains at a pretty high standard from there, I guess you can’t call it a truly great year when I feel like I could have skipped about five months and not missed anything (which is what I basically did).

7/10.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Fizza

One of my personal favourite Switch years. I got brand new entries in my two favourite series, had a bunch of retro stuff come to NSO that I got to experience for the first time and was able to dig my teeth into a whole bunch of older collections, I absolutely adored 2022. If I had to give my personal ranking then:

1. 2019
2. 2022
3. 2017
4. 2018
5. 2021
6. 2020

I am prepared to be roasted on a spitfire.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Extreme-G (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

MarioBrickLayer

I'm in a bit of a weird situation in that there are so many games I still want to play that the releases in this year (or even last) don't matter that much to me. I received my 2022 Nintendo email and my 3 most played games are Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Alien Isolation and Luigi's Mansion 3, all of which I picked up for the first time and played to completion this year. I thought all three were excellent and amongst the best games on the Switch.

My biggest surprise of the year was No Man's Sky, a game I have wanted to play for years and now I'll be able to. I'm hoping to start it on boxing day!

My biggest disappointment was Mario Strikers, I bought it at launch and was expecting much more from it.

MarioBrickLayer

Magician

It was a 10/10 for me.

Radiant Silvergun

My #2 all-time personal favorite game, regardless of genre or platform, came to my favorite platform.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Buizel

Solid 9/10 for me. This has been my favourite year for the Switch so far - the only thing it was really missing was a top-tier title from Nintendo (your Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Smash Ultimate type games).

But we had:

• Two Pokemon games that, while massively flawed, were highly ambitious and enjoyable for what they were. Scarlet/Violet in particular are my favourite games since the series moved to 3D.
  • The release of my all-time favourite non-Nintendo game (Persona 5) on Switch, plus the announcement of Persona 4 and 3 for next year. We also got 4 Arena Ultimax which was a neat little surprise.
  • A Musou spin-off to one of my all-time favourite games in Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes
  • Sonic Frontiers, while flawed, was a blast and a promising return-to-form for the hedgehog in 3D.
  • Return of some classics, including Sonic Origins, Pokemon Snap, Mario Party 1+2, Earthbound, TMNT collection, etc.
  • First fully 3D Kirby game.
  • Some short but sweet experiences: TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
  • DLC adding longevity to Mario Kart 8.
  • Tons of great titles that I either had no time for, or not enough time for, including Xenoblade 3, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Nier Automata, Digimon Survive, Mario and Rabbids 2, Live a Live, Death's Door, Tunic, Eastward, Cuphead DLC, 13 Sentinals.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

ElRoberico

I got my Switch in 2020, so my perspective is a little skewed, but it's been one of my favorite years for the console. I will admit that my budget has kept me from picking up most of what I really wanted to pick up this year, but what I've played has been fantastic. It's been my favorite year of owning the console so far.

Currently playing: Marvel's Spider-Man

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS

iLikeUrAttitude

Pizzamorg wrote:

Looking at it all laid out like that, the Switch year as a whole is worse than I realised. The Switch sorta didn’t really start delivering until the summertime, and while it remains at a pretty high standard from there, I guess you can’t call it a truly great year when I feel like I could have skipped about five months and not missed anything (which is what I basically did).
7/10.

Eh thats fair but keep in mind I didn't literally list everything that released this year, I mostly just tried to get all the major releases with some niche ones listed.
I'm sure there are some games that people liked that I missed.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Pizzamorg

iLikeUrAttitude wrote:

Pizzamorg wrote:

7/10.

Eh thats fair but keep in mind I didn't literally list everything that released this year, I mostly just tried to get all the major releases with some niche ones listed.
I'm sure there are some games that people liked that I missed.

Yeah I appreciate that, but if you asked me to remember off the top of my head what I played on Switch between Arceus and Live a Live, I’d have a hard time answering you, so I think that says it all.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Anti-Matter

This year I rated :
Switch = 2 / 10
PS4 = 8 / 10

Reason: This year 2022 I really hyped with PS4 games from 3rd party multi console games.
Games like Epic Chef, Dodgeball Academia, Youtubers Life 2, Doraemon Story of Seasons, Story of Seasons Pioneers of Olive Town really got my hype.
And I bought the most games on PS4 during this year.

Meanwhile, from Nintendo Switch, despite I bought some Switch games during this year but I also sold 4 Switch games due to have no interest to play them anymore. The Switch games purchase Youtubers Life 2 was the last time I want to purchase 3rd party multi console games and it was my last straw so I made some decision by consider the 1st party + 3rd party exclusives + 1st / 3rd party remastered from other Nintendo machines for my Switch games purchase while my PS4 & PS5 will get 3rd party multi console games since I don't want to get half baked games on Switch version with downgraded quality anymore.
Also, I really disappointed to see some not good decision from Nintendo by release incomplete games like Switch Sports, DLC from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe that we don't get all the stuffs before next year, the issues I heard from 3rd party multi console games on Switch version.

Not sure I will get the same hype on Switch on next year like during year 2018.

Btw,
2018 > 2017 > 2019 > 2020 > 2021 > 2022

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

NintendoByNature

First half was so-so, but the 2nd half were all bangers. Solid 7.5-8/10

NintendoByNature

Ralizah

I'd go 9/10 as well. This was probably the most consistently excellent year to date for the system in terms of quality exclusive releases. On average, nearly one every month. I'll say it again: I could own nothing but a Switch this gen and still have access to almost all the modern games I want to play.

Anyway:
2017 > 2022 > 2021 > 2019 > 2020 > 2018

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Matt_Barber

I'll give it a 10/10. Mostly that's down to Xenoblade 3, but there was also a strong supporting cast including Sparks of Hope, Triangle Strategy, Bayonetta 3 and Kirby (the good one) that played their part. I've also got Persona 5 and The Ezio Collection as Christmas presents lined up to keep me busy well into the new year.

For those who somehow think that the Switch isn't getting many new games, a quick check on Deku Deals suggests that there were 2075 new releases this year. That includes a lot of shovelware, mind you, so perhaps the figure of 101 games that scored a 75 or more on Metacritic would be a truer indication of the number that were worth considering. Either way, those are the sort of numbers that any previous Nintendo console would only get near over its entire lifetime, let alone in a calendar year.

Switch years ranked: 2017 > 2020 > 2022 > 2019 > 2021 > 2018

Every Xenoblade, Fire Emblem or Zelda year is a good year for me and we've always had at least one of those. Next year promises to deliver all three, so will possibly be the best yet.

Matt_Barber

iLikeUrAttitude

@Matt_Barber Pretty generous scoring if I do say myself, but I agree this yeah had a lot to offer and Xenoblade 3 was a big part of it.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

praystation

For me this was the best year since maybe 2017 in terms of games that I absolutely fell in love with. Helps that there were so many great RPGs: Triangle Strategy, Live a Live, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 carried the year for me. Pokemon was surprisingly good, Kirby was in 3D, and Splatoon 3 and Bayonetta 3 were very welcome additions. But what really sold me was that third part support was amazingly strong: MLB the Show (never thought I'd live to see the day) Rune Factory 5, Tactics Ogre, Diofield, Persona, Nier, a Dragon Quest spinoff, and there's still so many more amazing games. I think this may have been the best year for third party Switch support. I'll easily give this a 10/10.

If I had to rank years: 2017 > 2022 > 2019 > 2021 > 2018 > 2020

praystation

iLikeUrAttitude

praystation wrote:

For me this was the best year since maybe 2017 in terms of games that I absolutely fell in love with. Helps that there were so many great RPGs: Triangle Strategy, Live a Live, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 carried the year for me. Pokemon was surprisingly good, Kirby was in 3D, and Splatoon 3 and Bayonetta 3 were very welcome additions. But what really sold me was that third part support was amazingly strong: MLB the Show (never thought I'd live to see the day) Rune Factory 5, Tactics Ogre, Diofield, Persona, Nier, a Dragon Quest spinoff, and there's still so many more amazing games. I think this may have been the best year for third party Switch support. I'll easily give this a 10/10.
If I had to rank years: 2017 > 2022 > 2019 > 2021 > 2018 > 2020

This year did have a lot of amazing RPGs I hope 2022 follows that trend with DQ3 remake.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

BongoBongo

2022 was a weak year for me - spent most of it catching up on historic games rather than new releases, Kirby excepted. 2017 really was the pinnacle with 2019 not far behind - the last two years have not had much for my personal tastes but hopeful 2023 could be a top 3 switch year

1. 2017
2. 2019
3. 2020
4. 2018
5. 2021
6. 2022

BongoBongo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic