Forums

Topic: ARMS

Posts 381 to 400 of 1,369

Joeynator3000

Weird....other than the blocking/backing mix up it controlled just fine for me...

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

TuVictus

I had a lot of fun with my bf. It's a great game to play online with a friend

TuVictus

Nin10dad

Well I enjoyed that! Controls were fine, no issues, everything I wanted it to do, it did! The secret I guess is small precise movements, no need to throw your ARMS around. Finished with a score of 92 which was the highest in my lobby. Tried all characters but think that, for now, Ninjara is my jam! Got a bonus near the end for a 30 game streak! Not to shabby. The best part is, my newborn baby stayed asleep throughout the entire 80mins! Yeah, I got 10 mins either side of the hour! 😁

nintendad.co.uk

Twitter @nintendad

Switch - SW-5274-3655-0708

MyNameIsRandy

@Ralizah movement is slow I agree but maybe you moving too fast for the rest. It did want I want, but I had to move much slower than I would want to move for a fighting game.

Switch SW-3961-9294-9210

-Green-

Me too. The only issue I had with the motion controls was basically what Joey/Megumi had. I really got into it in the later fights and it felt really great.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

gokev13

I thought it was quite fun and didn't have any issues with the motion controls or anything.I wasn't that good though and when things got more intense I found myself flailing my punches rather than being calm and actually having any kind of strategy. I didn't seem to win very much as a result but I had fun. I am not sure if it is something would buy though because fighting games don't have long lasting appeal for me. I think it could sell well though.

gokev13

ThomGee

Whew, that was fun. I only joined in around halfway through the Testpunch, but I still loved it. The punching controls were excellent, though I was pretty terrible, and it was just a blast overall. I even found myself jumping in real life and wondering why Ninjara wasn't jumping.

My one gripe is movement, which I find very hard to do, which is strange for a fighting game, but that could just be me. I also didn't like how lobbies worked, but that's probably just the Testpunch's way of shoving everyone into every mode possible.

Great experience, and I look forward to tomorrow's sessions, especially since today was just me randomly throwing punches with no discernable strategy. Bring on the jumping around like a jumping bean again!

(And yeah, Ninjara's my character so far, but that will almost definitely change.)

Edited on by ThomGee

ThomGee

My Nintendo: ThomGee | Nintendo Network ID: WakerOfWindsHD

Blue_Blur

It was better than I expected all around. I thought the motion controls worked pretty well, though it definitely took quite a few rounds to stop accidentally guarding when wanting to move backwards. I played as Ninjara the entire time, and won most of my matches. I love his disappear ability!

I didn't really like the volleyball that much, though. The matches seemed real short and I wasn't a fan of how the volleyball would explode after a while...

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

Eric258

After playing the test punch I can safely say I'm gonna definitely pre-order it. It was so much fun! I played with both my niece & nephew and it was just a bunch of laughs the entire time. I was surprised by the speed of the game. From the trailers and the direct, matches seemed to go at moderate pace, but playing it yourself, there's heaps of on the spot thinking and every match just flew by. There's also heaps of depth in the game that I've only now really realized. I mostly played as Ribbon Girl and her multiple jumps + her quick drop is really good for dodging . I also loved the motion controls, only issue being that I had no idea how to swap targets. I loved what I played I can't wait for when it releases!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

Pigeon

Joeynator3000 wrote:

Weird....other than the blocking/backing mix up it controlled just fine for me...

I had issues with the punches until I realised I could use ZL and ZR.

Blocking is still an issue though. Hopefully I can assign block to L, and have R the only dedicated button for the super attack. Tapping L3 is ok, but holding the analogue stick down is where it's uncomfortable for me. Especially as that's the same stick for moving.

Pigeon

KirbyTheVampire

I only tried Master Mummy and Ninjara. I liked MM at first, but I realized pretty quickly that his health regen when guarding is basically useless, since it regenerates so slowly, and I didn't find myself guarding very often at all. Maybe it's because I'm new to the game though, and maybe guarding is more important than it seems. From what I saw though, he's basically just a tank and little else.

Ninjara on the other hand, I liked a lot. He actually moved at a speedy walk, rather than slowly inching across the floor like some of the other fighters, and jumping and dashing was extremely useful for avoiding those flurry/power/charge attack thingies.

Does anyone else find grabbing in this game slightly OP? I get that you can counter it with a punch, but jumping and grabbing people over and over seemed like a strategy people had a really hard time countering. I suppose time will tell as people learn the game and figure out ways to avoid stuff like that. It seemed especially useful with Ninjara. I found myself jumping, dashing sideways, and grabbing my opponent way more than I found myself actually punching.

EDIT: Also, volleyball is incredibly boring, and I couldn't wait for those rounds to be over so I could get back to fighting.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

ValhallaOutcast

The 1v1 was really fun, didnt like the 2v2 or 1v1v1

The Volleyball was strange

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

Pigeon

Eric258 wrote:

I also loved the motion controls only issue being that I had no idea how to swap targets.

R analogue stick to switch targets (or, at least it is when playing in handheld mode).

Pigeon

-Green-

V-Ball basically had me almost punching my TV. I'm not use to motion controls, so I was getting really into it in real life. Kept moving forward trying to smack the ball and almost hit my TV like twice. lol.

Nicolai

Yeah, I can tell this is definitely the kind of game that will take me a long time to master, and it's clear to me that many others online are mastering it way faster than I am. Which means that if I buy it, I'm going to fall into the usually pitfall of a) not having enough gaming friends willing to play local multiplayer with me on the count of it being so competitive and tricky to master, and b) playing online while falling way behind the meta of this game and losing to a bunch of pros who won't let me in close enough to get a single hit in, due to tricks and strategies I can't work past. A perfect example of the latter happened during the testfire, where a person playing Helix had double Ice Dragons that I had a difficult time dodging, and he/she kept me at a safe distance while continually freezing me, and took me out almost completely without taking any damage. There was little I could do. I'm not usually fearful of a little strategy or challenge even if it's a little frustrating, but there's something about online competitive fighting games that heightens the frustration levels to the max, when I can't get a single thing past my opponent.

So I'm facing the delimma I always face with online-focussed competitive games. It's an old issue, and it's a shame it gets on the way of my enjoyment of awesome games like this. Perhaps the game's popularity will typhoon all over the U.S. and local ARMS parties will become the norm. A man can dream But until then, maybe friendly ARMS matches with Nintendolifers will do?

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Jhena

It was fun and i managed to win some rounds. The laugh of springman when he defeated me was diabolic. Its more fun than i thought it would be but the movement feels much harder than i imagined. It was hard to actually hit the enemy. Really intense matches. Im sure the game will make me very sweaty when summer starts.

The 3 people matches were aweful. Its pretty much impossible to defend if they gang up on you for a while. 2vs2 is fun though especially volleyball.

Only played with the joy cons and i think it was good enough to play. Not gonna buy pro controller. The global testpunch convinced me to preorder the game. Its really good and i dont like fighters.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

veeflames

Okay, so a quick (well, not so quick) update to @ThomasBW84, @OorWullie, @Maxz, @aaronsullivan
So, I took the Switch outside where there wouldn't be any interference and, thankfully, for the most part it worked just like it should. Inputs - both motion and buttons - were as fluid as it could get. There were some instances of lag but in Zelda it was perfect.
Then I went to my front door and did the same tests. Yep, as you would expect, it ran beautifully. At this point we can probably rule out defect Joy Cons and place the blame on interference. Why? When I went back inside and tested the controller the problem returned. So it's probably something in the house that's interfering with the Joy Con's communication with the Switch. That for sure explains the sudden development of the problem.
So then I went outside again and yep, the problem went away as fast as it came (this time, there wasn't any lag at all). So then I thought about turning off the Wi-Fi and while there was no effect outside, the problem was subdued by a lot inside. So I continued doing some more tests (with Wi-Fi off and on) and the problem gradually corrected itself. As of the last time I used the Joy Cons inside the house they held pretty smoothly. Fingers crossed that it stays like that before and during the next TestPunch.
Oh, and while I was outside the left Joy Con fell from my hands and hit the concrete floor. Gave the Joy Con tiny dents... that's probably torment me for a while

EDIT: To those wondering what the heck this post's about, my Joy Cons started malfunctioning about 30 minutes before the TestPunch and would not work for the whole of the Testpunch period. I had to use the Pro Controller which was basically a hit and miss for me (the hits were really fun, I cannot lie). I made the post to report my troubleshooting back to those who were in NLife's live chat. So... there it is.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

NightMoon

God it was so short, but a ton of fun. I've played with the joy cons and the pro controller. Both were very fun, but for rank its all pro for me.

NightMoon

Switch Friend Code: SW-1763-0139-7023 | Nintendo Network ID: NightMoonArt

Ralizah

How did people feel about arching their punches in joycon grip/procon mode?

I think I'll play with the grip next time. Haven't used my joycon grip in a month, but I think the split joycons are confusing the game and making the controls switch back to motion. Kind of stupid, but I want to test it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

-Green-

Twisting the punches was fine for me. It wasn't as extreme as I thought it would be as I imagined they'd curve more and faster, but it worked decently for me.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic