Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 2,301 to 2,320 of 3,493

AgentLA

I think @Lroy’s idea is good for taking a short break.

As far as the WC, im taking two weeks off from work just to watch the group stages. I’ll be in Vegas getting blitzed the first weekend, watching France/ Australia at 3am.

I’m dual citizen of France & US, with France being my home country, so it’s Allez Les Bleus for me. 1998 redux? Yes please. Can’t wait to see Mbappe lay it down...I’m also a very long time fan of PSG, growing up in Paris.

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

monkeyspasm

@GrailUK - You, sir, are a machine! Unbelievable, well done

Switch Profile name - monkeysp

Switch Friend Code: SW-7394-3764-7014

masterLEON

@GrailUK Dude, that's some rivalry you got going on! You know you've made it when you're trading spots with a Japanese player Congrats!

@Lroy That's a fantastic idea! Almost every other week, I'm thinking what I could do if only I had one or two more good days, or even a couple hours more of play time.

@RetroGamerAndrew I'd definitely be down for 2 weeks of Ikaruga!

@meppi64 Hope you're feeling better, man! Up until I entered college in the mid-late 90's, I was dabbling in pinball. But thanks to Theatre of Magic and Creature from the Black Lagoon being posted up in the cafeterias (we had multiple buildings), pinball had officially clicked with me. And those skills were solidified by the lovingly crafted physics of Little Wing Pinball's tables around the early 00's which taught me how to nudge properly (and I also hold them as high in regard as Farsight's engine for video pinball, may they return back to us some day), then translated to Pinball Hall of Fame, and now Pinball Arcade. So goes my pinball story in a nutshell.

I'm still giving the whole Pinball Arcade thing some deep thought. You're right about iOS, though. I have this one game, RoF (Rhythm of Fighters, a music game by SNK that had a lot of tracks from KoF, Fatal Fury, etc.) that is just a dud now because I didn't do the last update before the game got pulled (which I believe would have let me use it up until iOS 10). And the day before it got pulled, I had purchased all the songs, but I didn't download them in time, thinking "I could do this later". But of course, it wouldn't let me download it later

The one option I'm thinking of, is to download it for PSN (even though I don't have a PS4, I still have an account) because it's easier for me to record from if it comes down to it. The downside, of course, is I'd need to buy a PS4 in order to play at all. Who knows when I'll get around to that? And on Steam I'm on the Mac version, so the graphics are pretty much equivalent to iOS, without the new environment and lighting. Good pointing out the extra voice lines in Scared Stiff, I didn't know that. Otherwise, I'd only consider the Pro tables because some of them have tournament modes that remove extra balls from being earned. Back in January, I participated in my first actual pinball tournament (aside from launch parties) and I found the format fascinating, and maybe I want to go for the upgrade. However, I can just as simply plunge the extra balls, but I lose out on accurate tournament scoring. Decisions, decisions, but so very little time :-/

"You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!"

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

GrailUK

@Lroy I think open weeks are a tremendous idea.

@Agent721 Cheers mate. Still plenty of dropped points to snaffle

@masterLEON Thank you mate. I can't help but wonder how similar our runs are. Like I said earlier. I think 115K is the holy grail. If anyone reaches that they can have the leader board lol. You aren't beating it outside of sacrificing some lambs and 5 hail Marys. (Switch really has rekindled my gaming lol!)

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

OorWullie

With a combination of Switch video capture ,Twitter,Twitter Video Downloader, 2 Video Editors & too much time I've put a little video together showing the quickest and easiest ways to score big points on the Sorcerer's Lair table.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Lroy

@OorWullie Oh cool, I will definitely watch this later and have a go on the table.

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Lroy

As for the Open Weeks idea. Seems that is settled then. Guess we just need to decide if we are doing an Open Week every other week or every third Week?

And just to clarify. @Grail Has been crowned the weekly champion of TERRE CRESTA Yes? That Leaderboard is now closed correct? Or am I misunderstanding?

Any higher scores posted on that game will now go into the Open Leaderboard Yes?

Just asking as I've gotten a little confused ☺️

Edited on by Lroy

OorWullie

@Lroy About Terra Cresta ,no the weekly challenge leaderboard will remain open for an extra week. I think that's what we agreed on anyway. I added some details in the leaderboard thread.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

GrailUK

@Lroy I'm happy for the leader board to still be live for an extra week. A few folk haven't had chance to play and there is quite the scuffle going on for 1st place lol.

Lroy

@GrailUK @Oorwullie Ah cool. Thanks for clarification. Will give it another run then 👍

meppi64

@masterLEON
Not doing too hot again sadly. But it might be due to side effects from certain medication.
So I stopped taking them yesterday and hope that all those things will subside in a couple of days time.
(dizziness, nausea, sleeping problems, severe headaches, etc) A ton of stuff that might be caused or made worse by those drugs. Getting kind of tired of feeling so sick to be honest.

I picked up all the tables in TPA on Switch yesterday but only been able to play a couple of tables a little bit to check them out.
Since I have all the released seasons for Xbox One, PS4 and PS3/Vita, I'm still surprised at how great the Switch version turned out.
On first sight it does seem that the lighting is a bit toned down. Especially the dynamic lighting and real-time reflections on the balls stand out I think.
But that's most likely been scaled back to be able to get the 1080/720 60fps going on the little system, so I fully agree with those changes to get it running perfectly.
After all, pinball should first and foremost feel good.
Edit:
My first impressions seemed to be way off the mark.
Realtime reflections and lighting on the bass certainly are in there after all.
The texture on the ball seems a bit different which might have messed with my head. Seems way more in line with SternPA than with TPA on Xbox. Might have to compare the overall lighting again as well. Could be because this is the first updated version of TPA after Williams and others might have a similar look with the upcoming update. Not sure.

From the very limited time I've put in at this point, I can say that the Switch version is without question my favourite iteration of TPA. Being able to play in TATE mode makes a huge difference as you're able to get to see the play field in a much more realistic way with a ton more detail.
This also makes it a lot easier to make certain shots and get a feel of how the ball is traveling.
Oh what I wouldn't do to be able to have all those Williams/Bally tables on my little Switch right now...

I would absolutely recommend picking up as many of those tables as possible on PS4 or Xbox One, because for all we know, this might be the last time you'll be able to get any of them.
It's quite a bit of money indeed, so on PS4 I'd start with season 3 and make your way upwards since both Season 1 and 2 are readily available at retail for €15 or so each.
I actually bought another set of each just to be sure. That's how much I love these games.

Might try and join in on the FX3 tourney, since pinball is one of the games I can play right now for a long time before completely tiring myself out again.
The only problem is that for me at least, most of their tables become really boring in a matter of a couple of hours.
Kinda makes sense since so much time can go into creating a real pinball table, compared to how quickly these FX ones are coming out.

Edited on by meppi64

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

hybridseed

@meppi64 Really hope you start to feel better soon ☺

Been playing Blazing Star and just had my first go on Caravan Mode, (mostly to see all of your scores!), I got about a quarter mill and I'm trying to comprehend how some of you and others score so high?!?

Of course it's @GrailUK at the top spot with over 2 million!!!

I'd love to join in with you all in Terra Cresta but after turning my ps4 on a few days ago I realised I already bought it on that, in a sale and couldn't justify buying it again, my funds are tight and could only afford one more ACA title for this month and bought Stakes Winner which I really wanted..

Might just be able to afford Ikaruga at the end of the month and am on board for 2 weeks tourney on that... I've never played it!

Edited on by hybridseed

Switch: 5859 4845 9859

NNID: Hybridseed

PSN: odogzero

RetroGamerAndrew

Having SO MUCH fun with pinball FX tournament right now. Really, we gotta get more tournaments like these going in the future, and I have to say that the caravan-like 5 min formula is just spot on!

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

meppi64

@RetroGamerAndrew Absolutely, the 5 minute rule for FX tables is a good thing as these tables can go on and on forever and end up becoming really stale.
This way it's quite a bit harder to activate the best modes or hit a good combination of shots to get a high score.
Haven't read up about any ruleset for this table yet, but I was able to set the score to something around 27 million for now.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

RetroGamerAndrew

@meppi64 I'm third at 22mil-something and fellow @Oorwullie between us at 24mil-something. Having a blast so far!

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

GrailUK

@hybridseed What's the top score in the PS4 version of Terra Cresta caravan out of interest?

Edited on by GrailUK

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic