Forums

Topic: Zelda's Wii U-Turn to NX

Posts 241 to 260 of 641

LetsGoRetro

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

@LetsGoRetro: Actually, I never meant to infer that Nintendo was healing relationships with third parties. If a NX home console has anpy chance of succeeding it needs third party games, but we all know how good Nintendo's third party relationships are (very bad, FYI). And in order for third parties to get onboard a console that is supposedly releasing next year, Nintendo has to do something about it's third party relationship. I seriously doubt Nintendo can take care of that on top producing games for the new system IN A YEAR.
Of course, we don't know what the NX is, anyway. Do you get me?

I could pretty much copy and paste my last response to this. Let me put it this way:

You keep suggesting that if the new console releases in a year, that Nintendo will have had a year by that point to "do something about their relationship with third parties" This suggests that you know when they STARTED healing these relationships, which you don't. Since you are suggesting in one year will be a year they've had to fix things with 3rd parties, then that would mean you know they are starting NOW. You don't know that. Maybe they started 2 years ago. Maybe 3. Maybe 8. Maybe they're not going to start until a year from now, so it'll need to release in 2018? My point is this argument holds no weight.

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

@LetsGoRetro: Actually, I never meant to infer that Nintendo was healing relationships with third parties.

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

And in order for third parties to get onboard a console that is supposedly releasing next year, Nintendo has to do something about it's third party relationship. I seriously doubt Nintendo can take care of that on top producing games for the new system IN A YEAR.

How the heck are these 2 points not only in the same paragraph, but only one sentence apart? Yeesh.

Edited on by LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

Octane

@LetsGoRetro:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I've said this so many times that I have to believe you are purposely ignoring how easy it is to see the math works here.

Hold on a minute. There you go again. ''13 months left''. If you believe this thing comes out next year, when do you expect it to come out? Two days before New Year's Eve? And that's not taking in account manufacturing, shipping, distributing, getting the game done in time for age certification... We're talking about 10 months at most from now.

And that's the reason why it's so unlikely that a new home console comes out in 2016. Developers need a lot more time than that. Look at the Wii U. That wasn't a pretty launch. In terms of third party games, most games were ports of games that were already available on other systems. Unless Nintendo wants an even worse launch for NX, we're not looking at a 2016 launch for their new home console.

Octane

skywake

LetsGoRetro wrote:

1. Contradict may not have been the best word. The point I was trying to make was that since the dev kits presumably haven't been out a very long time, the lack of leaks is not evidence.

The lack of leaks is evidence to support the theory that the dev kits haven't been out long. Supported by the rumours that the dev kits only just went out last month. This wasn't a point you were trying to make it was a point I was making. I have no idea why me using the lack of rumours to support a rumour about the dev kits not being out for long weakened my argument.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

2. Except it's not 12 months. We still have 13 months to go. And it's been atleast a month since we heard dev kits went out, meaning it's been atleast that long. Maybe it's been 2 months? (Still not a ton of time if you intend to use this against bullet point 1 ). So that's approximately 14-15 months. Which is probably a fair amount of time for a good amount of games. And guess what? They don't all need to be there on day one of launch to create hype. I'm not sure what constitutes "launch window" but I'm sure it's atleast a few months and that gives a grand total of 17 to 18 months for these ports. I've said this so many times that I have to believe you are purposely ignoring how easy it is to see the math works here.

Why not just say that these games only have to be there in the first year? While we're at it they don't even have to have games don't have to be out in the first year because people expect that now. This thing could release tomorrow with just 1 month of third party development time..........

11 + 1 != 11 + 1... +1 ... +2 .... + 6

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

GrailUK

@LetsGoRetro: What even is NX?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

veeflames

@LetsGoRetro: ... What?
How am I inferring that Nintrendo has started healing their third party relationships? I think you're trying to place words in my mouth. I'm just saying that Nintendo needs to have third parties on board their next home console. Simples.
Just forget it. I just don't think it's feasible for Nintendo to release the new console next year.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

LetsGoRetro

rallydefault wrote:

@skywake: Well, the more I review all of the "information" (we say that loosely, of course) we have, the more I'm actually thinking the NX is going to end the DS line and be their next handheld system. It would be a good first step of sorts in creating this new "platform" that they keep harping on about to transition to a new home console in two years' time.

And I know this is just a drop in the proverbial bucket, but I read an article stating that the Wii U was the highest-selling item on Target's website for Black Friday today, and that overall Target had a killer day, even compared to what they were expecting. So that's great news, and a small example of what I think we're going to be seeing: I think Wii U sales are going to rise over the next year, and as we pass the New Year and every day brings us a day closer to Zelda, attention on the Wii U will steadily build. If this game turns out to be anywhere CLOSE to Ocarina's impact and quality, I don't think the Wii U is done quite yet.

(And yes, this is a TOTAL reversal of what I used to think.)

You think the Wii Us fortunes are going to turn around because of a Black Friday sale. Oh, boy. You just dont give up. We all thought this for years, too. If Kart and Smash didnt save Wii U halfway through its life, then Zelda isnt going to at the end of its life.

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

@LetsGoRetro: ... What?
How am I inferring that Nintrendo has started healing their third party relationships? I think you're trying to place words in my mouth. I'm just saying that Nintendo needs to have third parties on board their next home console. Simples.
Just forget it. I just don't think it's feasible for Nintendo to release the new console next year.

Because you're stating the very reason Nintendo wont be releasing it next year is that itll have only given them a year to fix their third party situation!!

It's like 2 different people are typing for you and unaware what the other is saying.

So, let me try to understand this, then: You believe the NX cant possibly launch next year as they cant fix 3rd party relationships in "JUST A YEAR". You fo not mean to infer that Nintendo IS fixing these relationships, though. You just mean that they won't release a console because it doesnt give them enough time to do what youre not even saying theyre doing. Do i have that right?

LetsGoRetro

veeflames

@LetsGoRetro: The third party thing wasn't the only reason why I believe the NX (home console) will not launch next year, you know...
And I don't know why you're trying to twist my words. If Nintendo wants to succeed with the next home console, they need strong third party support alongside their first party efforts (surely YOU should know that). Not the paltry third party support they received with the Wii U. Nintendo has to show (note: not "Nintendo IS showing") that the next hardware is third-party friendly and may even have to receive (note: not " Nintendo IS receiving) suggestions from third party companies.
No one's inferring anything. Of course, the NX home console can release next year, but I believe it's more effective to release the console in 2017 or so. SIMPLES.

God first.

LzWinky

Actually this whole thread is nothing but guesses and inferences

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Nintendo has to show that the next hardware is third-party friendly

Exactly. Nintendo dropping hardware on the feet of developers and saying "oh, and it's out next year" isn't going to win them many fans. And before even that is twisted obviously by "fans" I mean developers.

LztheQuack wrote:

Actually this whole thread is nothing but guesses and inferences

It's fair to guess about what the NX is and isn't. But when people repeatedly misunderstand what everyone who disagrees with them it gets a bit much.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LetsGoRetro

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

@LetsGoRetro:

it's not like third party relationships are built up again the the blink of an eye. Those people who are expecting a home console next year shouldn't be surprised if there are game droughts and lack of third party (and, thus, low sales); yet they will be surprised, and the complaining that will ensue after that... shudders
I expect a new Nintendo home console to launch in 2017, really. Plenty of time to make quality software, and plenty of time to heal third party relationships. Win-win for everyone.

I'm just saying that Nintendo needs to have third parties on board their next home console. Simples.

If Nintendo wants to succeed with the next home console, they need strong third party support alongside their first party efforts (surely YOU should know that). Not the paltry third party support they received with the Wii U. Nintendo has to show (note: not "Nintendo IS showing") that the next hardware is third-party friendly and may even have to receive (note: not " Nintendo IS receiving) suggestions from third party companies.
No one's inferring anything. Of course, the NX home console can release next year, but I believe it's more effective to release the console in 2017 or so. SIMPLES.

These are YOUR words on the subject, no? So, which did I twist? And what have I put in your mouth, there, Simples?

LetsGoRetro

veeflames

LetsGoRetro wrote:

These are YOUR words on the subject, no? So, which did I twist? And what have I put in your mouth, there, Simples?

You claimed... Ah, forget it. Bottom line, I don't expect a home console to launch next year.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.

LetsGoRetro

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

You claimed... Ah, forget it. Bottom line, I don't expect a home console to launch next year.

Fair enough. We're all entitled to our opinions on the matter. That is what this thread is all about, in fact. I personally am much more interested in NX's future possibilities than I am Wii U's current ones, so this has been enjoyable. I ask all with different viewpoints than me ( @octane , @skywake , @veeflamesNL ) as well as those with similar ones ( @LZthequack ) to please return to this thread when we learn the following:

1. When the NX is launching
2. When the new Zelda (hehe) is releasing

It'll be interesting to see who was right about what!

Edited on by LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

Oh, hey, guys, on a somewhat different note, in regards to NX, what do you guys think of the whole "Nintendo merging the handheld and home console teams together" news that came out a year or so ago. I wonder if that points towards what the NX could be. I have no idea, so I'm not suggesting any of this to be true, but could it be possible that if the "hybrid" rumors are true, it's basically essentially a PS4 and Vita bundled together type thing?

I mean, could a hybrid not just be a PS4 level console in the same box with a vita level portable with a slick interface to make them feel like "one hybrid machine"? By the time it launched, it'll have been 3 years since PS4 came out, more since the Vita, so the parts would've gone done quite a bit, ya? This would also help solve the 3rd party problems if the system was on par with PS4 as it'd make porting much easier.

Essentially, in the same way the WIi U was less powerful because of the gamepad, the NX would be less powerful because of it's "Vita", however it wouldn't be nearly as big of an issue this time as it'd still be just as powerful as the PS and Xbox machines.

Just a thought. And not an especially unique or clever one, by any means. Just happened to think of that old news article.

LetsGoRetro

GrailUK

@LetsGoRetro: They merged departments so they can make games on portable and home consoles (like Smash Bros) easier. It sounds to me like an effort to increase output across their consoles. I'm guessing NX will be the OS for both handhelds and home consoles so making 2 versions requires the minimum effort and they can then appease Japanese (mobile) and Western (home) gamers. I don't think the NX will be a hybrid. I think it will be a home console that will be compatible with the next handheld like a Wii U gamepad. I don't think we are going to be playing PS4 quality games on a handheld anytime soon but I do see having scaled down versions of home games more common and vice versa.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

LetsGoRetro

@GrailUK

I totally agree that they did it to increase output across their consoles. What I'm wondering is how far it goes. Let's say every game that came out for either Wii U or 3DS was available on both systems. Instead of seeming like a barren wasteland for years it would be awash with all those amazing titles that came for 3DS.

Nintendo is stretched so thin having to make games for both, but if every game can go to both, they essentially double their output. Someone like me is a great target. Besides playing and absolutely loving Link's Awakening as a kid, I absolutely just cannot get into portable gaming. I want to relax on a couch with a big screen.

Having the Ps4/Vita style hybrid system would mean all those 3DS games that I have no chance to play would come to me. It would bring so much more content with essentially zero extra effort. I don't know if it's what they're doing, but I'm into it if they are!

LetsGoRetro

WiiWareWave

LetsGoRetro wrote:

@GrailUK

I totally agree that they did it to increase output across their consoles. What I'm wondering is how far it goes. Let's say every game that came out for either Wii U or 3DS was available on both systems. Instead of seeming like a barren wasteland for years it would be awash with all those amazing titles that came for 3DS.

Nintendo is stretched so thin having to make games for both, but if every game can go to both, they essentially double their output. Someone like me is a great target. Besides playing and absolutely loving Link's Awakening as a kid, I absolutely just cannot get into portable gaming. I want to relax on a couch with a big screen.

Having the Ps4/Vita style hybrid system would mean all those 3DS games that I have no chance to play would come to me. It would bring so much more content with essentially zero extra effort. I don't know if it's what they're doing, but I'm into it if they are!

I don't really agree with most of your posts, but I do agree with this. I occasionally play with handhelds, but only because most RPG's are on Nintendo's handhelds. I much prefer gaming on a big-screen.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.