Forums

Topic: Zelda's Wii U-Turn to NX

Posts 201 to 220 of 641

LzWinky

You don't need a full year to hype a machine. We all know the NX is coming eventually.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LetsGoRetro

After this response, I plead with somebody to show me how to break up their quote and respond to different parts without messing with the little html tags, lol. It is the only way I know how to do it and it has 2 annoying problems: 1.) It makes "_______ said" appear over and over and 2. It takes way too long, and for obvious reasons I CAN'T do it on this long post! So to make my text stand out, I'm going to do in caps this one time until someone can explain to me how to break quotes up the easy/right way.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

ALLRIGHTY! Get ready for the wall of text!

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Would it be the first time it happened? Did people not buy a PS3 expecting Final Fantasy Versus 13? Kingdom Hearts 3? The Last Guardian? Many more titles? I'm sure some people were pissed off. Let's see how it affected the sales of the PS4 so far... (Sorry for the sarcasm)

LztheQuack wrote:

Twilight Princess released for the Wii and Gamecube while Pikmin 3 moved onto the Wii U from the Wii. I wouldn't say it's "lying" as plans and minds can change.

YES, those games were expected to be released on those systems you mentioned, HOWEVER, some of the games you've listed have been through development Hell (Which Zelda U has not been in. It was simply delayed.), and you also said this:

YOU'RE JUST ARGUING SEMANTICS, REALLY. YOU'RE APPLYING DIFFERENT WORDS TO DIFFERENT SCENARIOS. IT DOESN'T MATTER EXACTLY WHY SOME GAMES WERE DELAYED. SOME WERE AND YOU OR I DON'T KNOW THE REASONS. THE POINT IS THAT, MANY PEOPLE BOUGHT CONSOLES FOR MULTIPLE GAMES THEY DIDN'T GET AND THEY STILL FAITHFULLY FOLLOWED THE NEXT GEN OF THE CONSOLE. SO THEY'RE NOT GOING TO BE SUDDENLY UNLOYAL TO NINTENDO FOR NOT GETTING JUST ONE GAME. OR DO YOU SUPPOSE PEOPLE GO THROUGH THE THOUGHT PROCESS "I WAS GOING TO BUY NX BECAUSE I ALSO BOUGHT PS4 WHEN THE SAME THING HAPPENED MULTIPLE TIMES BUT WHAT THE HECK, BRO!? I MEAN DUDE I BOUGHT A PS4 BECAUSE THOSE OTHER GAMES WENT THROUGH DEVELOPMENT HELL SO IT'S OK, BUT ZELDA WAS ONLY DELAYED ONE TIME!"

LetsGoRetro wrote:

even if it [bold]WASN'T coming to Wii U[/bold], they would still refer to it as the Zelda game coming to Wii U until they announced the NX and that it was coming to it.

So...it's possible that a decision to make the game on NX and not put it on Wii U was already made? And that they're only calling it a Wii U game and making people THINK it's still being released on Wii U because they haven't talked about the NX?...that kinda does sound like lying to me.

iF I WAS TO GO THROUGH ALL THE TIMES NINTENDO LIES, IT WOULD TAKE ALL WEEK. IT'S CONSTANT, MAN. BUT, THE POINT THAT ISN'T SHOWN AS YOU DIDN'T POST THE FULL COMMENT, IS THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO REFER TO IT AT THIS POINT (PLUS I'M STILL VERY OPEN TO IT ALSO COMING TO WII U IN A DUAL RELEASE) IF THEY CALL IT:

"THE NEW ZELDA" FANS: "WAIT, WAIT, THEY DIDN'T SAY WHAT IT'S FOR. MAYBE IT'S A BRAND NEW ENTRY? MAYBE IT'S A NEW 3DS ZELDA. THERE HAS TO BE A REASON THEY ONLY SAID A NEW ZELDA!
"THE NEW ZELDA FOR NX" THEY AREN'T TALKING ABOUT NX YET, THOUGH, SO WHY WOULD THEY SAY THAT?

SO WHAT ELSE ARE THEY GOING TO CALL IT AT THIS POINT?

LetsGoRetro wrote:

At a basic level, sure, it would probably be better for the upcoming games if they came on NX instead of Wii U. However, of course they have to keep some games coming out. If Nintendo completely released NOTHING for the system, then sure, there would be considerable backlash. Deciding to keep one game off and move it? Different story. There is a reason I continually mention that Nintendo should do this BECAUSE Zelda is it's one title with an insane amount of anticipation and hype. Relating to your point, do you remember the backlash to the e3 presentation? Metroid Federation Force, Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer. Everyone was mad that all Nintendo had to show was these little spinoff games VS the big, meaty titles. Why do you think not much was shown coming for Wii U? What's announced? Of course there are some games coming still. Games take years to make, and those games have been in development for 1-3 years, likely. I'm simply saying it makes much better business sense to take the title with the highest probability to cause buzz on a new system, and to move it there. This fact alone screams "Nintendo realizes it's more important to put it's muscle behind what's on NX than it is to keep dragging along the Wii U"

That doesn't mean it's going to happen.

WE COULD POST THIS RESPONSE TO EVERY ONE OF EACH OTHER'S POINTS, ALMOST. THE POINT IS THAT NINTENDO IS SHOWING THEY ARE MAKING THE NX A PRIORITY AND PUTTING WII U ON THE BACKBURNER. WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO TAKE FROM THAT IS UP TO YOU.

LztheQuack wrote:

Game companies piss off customers all the time and they are doing fine. You are making a big deal out of nothing. Besides, I doubt they would simply not release it for Wii U. Also, who among us said it wasn't coming for the Wii U anyway?

Well, technically @LetsGoRetro said that it was possible.

I'VE SAID I AM SURE THAT IT MAKES SENSE THAT IT HAS TO COME TO NX AS A NEW GAME. WHATEVER HAPPENS FROM THERE, I'M NOT MAKING ANY ASSUMPTIONS AND I'M OPEN TO EITHER OPTION.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Very true, it could possibly have a stellar launch lineup without Zelda. Or it could not. Like you said, we don't know what they're working on. What we do know is that Zelda titles take very long to develop, and that whether or not the launch lineup would be strong without Zelda, it would surely be stronger WITH Zelda, right?

LZtheQuack wrote:

They can have a stellar launch with the new Zelda game...again assuming it can run the game (i.e. it's a console or a powerful handheld).

I never said that it wouldn't be better. Obviously it would. But that still doesn't mean that it will happen.

SEE THE LAST TIME YOU SAID THAT SENTENCE ABOVE.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Fair enough. Whether or not it's enough time to build hype is debatable, though. I would argue that Nintendo doesn't feel that way for a couple reasons. One being the dang company hardly advertises anything ANYWAYS so they're not great at building hype. They're clueless apparently when it comes to that, so even if it's not enough time to build hype, that's hardly evidence that Nintendo still won't do it. However, the NX has ALREADY had a lot of hype for what, 6 months is it? What type of "hype" do you think is going to be created? On gaming sites and blogs, no? It's already EVERYWHERE, the talk of it. Find me a gaming site, blogger, etc. that hasn't talked about it a ton. It's going to be 18 months into the talk of it by Holiday 2016. That's not enough time?

But we haven't heard anything about it. When Nintendo shows us what the NX actually is, they're going to have to make sure that people want it.

PS4 OFFICIALLY SHOWN IN FEB, RELEASED IN NOV. DOING GREAT. SEE YOUR BELOW COMMENT. WHY DID YOU POST THIS ABOVE WHEN YOU WERE GOING TO POST THAT BELOW??????

LztheQuack wrote:

PS4 revealed in February, released in November with stellar sales.

Alright, fair enough.

LztheQuack wrote:

Now you're making assumptions. We don't know when they got dev kits.

Again, alright, fair enough.

AND WE ARE ALSO PRETTY SURE THEY WENT OUT, LEAVING THEM 15-18 MONTHS FOR A PORT BY THE END OF NEXT YEAR.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

1. It's not super rushed. It'll be a year short of a typical console cycle. I'm sure most consoles don't actually take 5 full years of constant development. And, if they do, again, it's a different scenario when dealing with a failing console they expected to do well.

But it can result in an unfinished product. I'd rather they take their time with this to make sure it's actually good as opposed to them speeding to get it out the door just because a system isn't doing as well as you would've liked.

IS THIS POINT BASED ON AN ASSUMPTION THAT AN EXACT 5 FULL YEARS ARE NEEDED TO BUILD A CONSOLE, OR DO YOU KNOW A LOT MORE THAN ME REGARDING THE SUBJECT?

LztheQuack wrote:

Because the Wii U is selling like crap right now and is a joke in the market to those who aren't Wii U owners.

But that doesn't mean it HAS to be a Wii U replacement. It could still be a 3DS replacement. Or, if you're going by the rumors that it's a hybrid, BOTH!

IF IT'S A HYBRID THEN IT'S CERTAINLY A WII U REPLACEMENT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO THINK NINTENDO WANTS TO IGNORE THE AWFUL SELLING CONSOLE AND REPLACE THE DECENT SELLING ONE, THEN GO FOR IT. I'M NOT STOPPING YOU.

LztheQuack wrote:

Assumptions again. Do you know when development started? How are they "rushing" it?

Fair point. However, look at what @LetsGoRetro said:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Another thing to consider, regarding that point, is that even if I am right, Nintendo almost certainly didn't originally intend to release the NX at the end of 2016. If it is to happen, it was most certainly a result of a scramble they made when they finally had to write off the possibility that the Wii U wasn't going to be saved. I'm guessing sometime between Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. U would've been this time, as if any tiles should've been expected to have a chance to save it, it would be those 2. So, applying the normal "When companies first announce a console vs when it actually released" wouldn't apply if you factor in the fact that at some point the people in charge would've had to decide something along the lines of "Our biggest francises aren't saving this box, we need to do something NOW. Get the new system out there".

He's saying that they would speed up production just because the Wii U isn't selling well. That sounds like rushed to me!

ANOTHER REPEATED POINT I ALREADY ADDRESSED ABOVE. BUT HERE'S A NEW ONE: @LZTHEQUACK IS CONSTANTLY BEING ASKED TO ANSWER FOR WHAT I SAY. GIVE THE GUY A BREAK, HE AND I HAVE NEVER EVEN HAD AN INTERACTION BEFORE THIS THREAD, SO STOP ASKING HIM TO ANSWER FOR WHAT I SAY, WILL YA? I'M SURE IT'S ANNOYING HIM BY NOW. HE JUST HAPPENS TO SHARE THE THOUGHT THAT NX IS COMING IN 2016 WITH THE NEW ZELDA ON IT.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

2. Nintendo has returned to profitability, you're right. They had a rough 2 or 3 years where they weren't profitable, though. And much of that is the 3ds. Are you going to argue with me that Wii U is selling well? Come on, man. You're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing at this point. EVERYBODY know the Wii U is not doing well. Shigeryu Miyamoto is on record with the REASON he thinks it bombed (tablets stealing it's thunder).

My point wasn't that the Wii U was selling well, it was that Nintendo made a return to profits.

SO, IS NINTENDO JUST GOING TO SAY "GOOD ENOUGH! WHO CARES WHAT'S SELLING WELL AROUND HERE, AS LONG AS WE'RE MAKING SOME KIND OF PROFITS, WHY BOTHER SEEING HOW MUCH MORE WE CAN MAKE?"

LztheQuack wrote:

Won't last forever if they don't shake things up.

I never said that they would last forever; I just said that Nintendo made a return to profits.

AGAIN, SEE ABOVE ANSWER.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

3. Final Fantasy. Kingdom Hearts. Last Guardian. PS4 doing well. See above. Rinse, repeat.

LztheQuack wrote:

By doing what?

I refer you both to my previous statement at the beginning.

I REFER YOU TO MY PREVIOUS RESPONSE AT THE BEGINNING.

LetsGoRetro

Octane

@LetsGoRetro:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

As for Octane , I didn't miss the point. Your point is based off of "if the NX is coming in 2017". I have no reason to believe that. All I know about the NX is that we're learning about it in 2016, and I choose to believe that's when we're getting it, which I've explained why. Am I right? I don't know. That's just my opinion.

I don't think I ever made the assumption that it is coming in 2017. It could launch next year, it could launch in 2017 or even 2018. I don't know, but I acknowledge the fact that there are more possibilities than a 2016 launch. All I'm saying is that the little we know about the NX doesn't favour a 2016 release if it's a home console.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

What is a very good point is that Zelda U is the title that Nintendo is holding on to that has the highest probability of bringing the company momentum. The question then becomes is it smart to release it on Wii U with the NX coming the same year (assuming I'm right, again). The answer is, since the Wii U is not a success, it's smarter to put it on the new console with more hope. That's much more important than not releasing a new Zelda game on Wii U because it'll get people mad who bought the console for it. I'm sorry to let you know, but people buy consoles for games that don't come to them all the time. Some people bought a Wii U expecting Metroid, some expecting F Zero... The same goes for the other consoles with Final Fanasy Versus 13/15, Kingdom Heart 3, The Last Guardian. People buy consoles all the time for games that never end up coming to them. It happens. Not only does it happen, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that any company says "We have to release this game for this console because some people bought the console wanting it and they'll leave us next gen if we don't". No, they won't. Atleast not enough of them to matter, or notice.

In the unlikely event that the NX is a home console coming in 2016, is it smart to still release the game for Wii U? Yes, it absolutely is. Because one, they would not let the development of the Wii U game that they've been working on for the past couple of years go to waste, and they do not want to piss off the people they've been telling to that the game is coming to the Wii U.

Delaying is one thing, that's asking people to be more patient, asking them to buy another console for the game is another thing. If they said ''The new Zelda is in development'', I wouldn't have had a problem with it, but they've said more than a handful of times that the game is coming to Wii U. If people bought a Wii U expecting Metroid and F-Zero, they are stupid, Nintendo never released trailers, gameplay and other information on those games. Nintendo never told them that those games were coming to the Wii U.

I'm not sure what you expect the NX to do, but you seem to be under the impression that it'll generate an audience comparable to NES and Wii numbers and magically solve all of their problems when it comes to install base. Nintendo's home consoles have been steadily declining ever since the NES. Last generation was an exception, an anomaly. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft sold exceptionally high number of consoles, both handheld and home consoles, arguably due to the temporary interest from the casual crowd. Removing the Wii out of the equation, and the situation becomes clear. They're better off solidifying the install base that they have and ensuring they're happy with Nintendo. Pissing them off and assuming that other people will buy the NX in millions because reasons isn't really an argument at all.

Untitled
It's an old image, Wii is now somewhere at 100+ million units sold and the Wii U at 10 million. But you get the idea.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I'm almost positive that you're wrong that Nintendo never called the game ZeldaU, but I simply don't want to go through a bunch of videos to check. If you're right, then you're right and it does make my point about the terminology changing, but that isn't the meat of the argument anyways.

It has always been called The Legend of Zelda for the Wii U. Nintendo never used the words ''Zelda U''.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

As for the little picture at the end (cute), I really feel like I've already addressed the points and didn't want to again. I don't believe Wii U is coming in 2017, I believe it's coming in 2016, as I've said. I don't know a ton about development and how similar systems need to be to have a game released on both. I do know it MATTERS since that is one reason Wii U doesn't get a ton of 3rd party support, but I also know that it CAN be done as some companies DO go ahead and go and put in the extra work to make the game run on Wii U as well as Sony/Microsoft systems. So, if those developers can do it for multiple systems, I'm quite sure Nintendo can make a Zelda game work for Wii U and NX both. And I also don't believe the NX is not a home console. Maybe it's just a home console, maybe it's a hybrid, I don't know

You don't know, yet you claim you do know. I could be anything really. There are various possibilities, some are more likely than others and I choose to stick with those that are most probable.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Let me ask this question:

Since the NX was announced to show Nintendo is still primarily focused on it's core gaming development, you would agree with me that it is either a home console or a portable, right? (Or a hybrid?) So, that brings us to the question of- Which needs upgrading more? We know that's the Wii U, right? Why was the New 3DS released if this is it's replacement? So that they can release like 4 games that only run on it? It just seems more likely to me that the NX is a home console. Nintendo can't sit there when the Wii U is bombing and do nothing.

I do agree that it's a dedicated gaming device. I don't agree that the Wii U is in more need of an upgrade than the 3DS. The 3DS is older and that's really showing. A portable releasing in 2016 could do relatively more than the 3DS compared to what a new home console could do more than the Wii U. The Wii U's problem isn't the tech. Nintendo showed that with the Wii, people are willing to buy consoles with lower specs than their competitors. The Wii U's problem used to be marketing and a terrible launch line-up, now it's no third party support, bad press, and doom and gloom talk about the upcoming NX.

Other have pointed this out as well, but the DSi is comparable to the new 3DS. It only had a handful of exclusive games. I've said it before, but release of an upgraded model doesn't tell you anything about the future of the console itself. Nintendo even launched newer models after their successor had been released: Wii Mini and GB Micro for example. Still, the new 3DS will be two years old as well next year. The 3DS was also released when the DSi was two years old, so much for that comparison...

The Wii U failed to gain commercial success, but if I recall correctly, Nintendo is making a profit of them again, so it's not going to hurt Nintendo financially by supporting the Wii U another two years.

Octane

LzWinky

Use [quote ] and [/quote ] without the spaces

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LetsGoRetro

@octane, i just responded to a very long one, let me check that out later tonight. I'm almost to where we should all just walk away, here. The line is the sand has been drawn. Points have been made. This is becoming a merry go round.

LetsGoRetro

Octane

@LetsGoRetro:
(quote=Octane)Hello. How are you?(/quote)

(quote=Octane)Hello.(/quote)
(quote=Octane)How are you?(/quote)

Split quotes like this. Copy (quote=''name'') and (/quote) and place them where you want to cut the quote. It's a bit of work, but it makes it much easier to read and respond to. Replace the ''()'' with ''[]'', but I'm sure you were aware of that.

Octane

LetsGoRetro

I mean, @octane, I just look your comment over really quick. You know I'm going to respond with the PS4 reveal/release to the first point, and the many games on other consoles that were moved, to the second point. Right? Do I have to.. Do the thing again?

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

sorry, i think i meant 2nd and 3rd points, not 1st and 2nd. I just woke up, lol. Talk to you later today, guys.

LetsGoRetro

Octane

@LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I mean, octane, I just look your comment over really quick. You know I'm going to respond with the PS4 reveal/release to the first point, and the many games on other consoles that were moved, to the second point. Right? Do I have to.. Do the thing again?

I'm not really well informed about the PS4's history, but we definitely knew that it was coming ever since the tech demo during E3 in 2012. I'll gladly bump this thread in a few months from now and see what everybody's stance will be then. If the lack of information isn't enough to raise suspicion about the 2016 release claim, then I'm sure the lack of official ''next home console reveal'' in early 2016 will be.

I know that games have been delayed in the past causing them to be moved to other platforms, but find one major game, that was so heavily promoted to come to the planned hardware, faced no development difficulties and where they were adamant that the game is still coming to the planned console, despite the fact that the newer platform was due to arrive the following year and where the only reason for the game to be shifted to other console was to create a better launch line-up.

The only game I can come up with is The Last Guardian, and even that game wasn't in the same situation as Zelda U. They only showed one cinematic trailer and didn't do much to promote the game other than that. The development was troubled by severe problems with the hardware. On top of that, Ueda, the director, and many of the Team Ico members left Sony's Japan Studio. It was pretty much a given that the game would suffer a major delay. In no way, shape or form was it possible for The Last Guardian be to released on the PS3.

Octane

rallydefault

@Octane:
Oh gosh. I can think of one. Dead Rising 3 comes to mind. And that was definitely a "major" release that certainly helped its launch lineup (poor Ryse... I did enjoy that game despite the hate).

But you still seem to be attacking a strawman: LetsGoRetro has conceded that Zelda is likely coming to both platforms. He's not stating that it's NOT coming to the Wii U. We all understand that, right? I mean, maybe you do... but just the way you phrased that question, "game to be shifted to other console" tells me that you're not acknowledging this fact...?? What's going on?

rallydefault

GrailUK

Zelda U is an open world rpg. Now for all of you professing to have amazing business acumen, Xenoblade is an open world rpg. Nintendo cannot release both games because they do not want to be competing with themselves over Christmas (if you could have afforded both games then you probably cannot see the sense here and still cry it has been delayed!). Releasing Zelda now would have probably murdered Xenoblade's sales. So ye, all you Zeldaphiles would be sated but the company would lose money elsewhere.

Now another point to make is with Xenoblade releasing and having a Wii U bundle pack, they are obviously still trying to sell systems and Xenoblade is a system seller for them. So they can build momentum up with releasing Zelda later. Honestly, Ninitendo can have an amazing 2016 but most on this stupid forum are blinded by a sentence Mr Iwata said during a mobile phone announcement (a dedicated game system with a new concept THAT IS ALL WE KNOW !!!) and imagining that they know how to run a company buy just dropping something that has just started to turn a profit and rushing out something else. HAHAHA! THAT IS NOT THE ATTITUDE THAT WINS! and you should be ashamed of yourselves as fans thinking their craft is so throwaway! Please kill this thread.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Octane

@rallydefault:

rallydefault wrote:

Octane:
Oh gosh. I can think of one. Dead Rising 3 comes to mind. And that was definitely a "major" release that certainly helped its launch lineup (poor Ryse... I did enjoy that game despite the hate).

But you still seem to be attacking a strawman: LetsGoRetro has conceded that Zelda is likely coming to both platforms. He's not stating that it's NOT coming to the Wii U. We all understand that, right? I mean, maybe you do... but just the way you phrased that question, "game to be shifted to other console" tells me that you're not acknowledging this fact...?? What's going on?

There's no strawman.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

What is a very good point is that Zelda U is the title that Nintendo is holding on to that has the highest probability of bringing the company momentum. The question then becomes is it smart to release it on Wii U with the NX coming the same year (assuming I'm right, again). The answer is, since the Wii U is not a success, it's smarter to put it on the new console with more hope. That's much more important than not releasing a new Zelda game on Wii U because it'll get people mad who bought the console for it. I'm sorry to let you know, but people buy consoles for games that don't come to them all the time. Some people bought a Wii U expecting Metroid, some expecting F Zero... [...] People buy consoles all the time for games that never end up coming to them. It happens. Not only does it happen, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that any company says "We have to release this game for this console because some people bought the console wanting it and they'll leave us next gen if we don't". No, they won't. Atleast not enough of them to matter, or notice.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

They even say in the video that ZeldaU is still planned for Wii U, but like I said, they often say wrong things, or plans change, etc. etc.

He has said both things. He has said that he thinks it might be treated as a dual release, but he also seems to challenge the idea of Zelda U coming to the Wii U. And when he does that, I'm going to counter him. So again, there's no strawman. He started about ''the many games on other consoles that were moved'', ''movement'' implies the act of moving from one place(/console) to another.

Also, what about Dead Rising 3? I'm not familiar with that game, but I just looked up its development history. The game was officially announced as a Xbox One exclusive in 2013, and it was a released as a timed exclusive on Xbox One in the same year. It got a PC port in 2014, but many Xbox games do, so no big surprise there... So, I'm not sure if I understood your example correctly.

Octane

skywake

LztheQuack wrote:

You don't need a full year to hype a machine. We all know the NX is coming eventually.

The reason a year isn't long enough has nothing to do with hype or business strategies. It's more about the fact that with every person that knows it's harder to keep it a secret. For a portable it's easier to control the message because its less newsworthy and the development cycle is smaller. For a home console its like clockwork, if you want games at launch you have to get third parties on board at least two years before launch. It's at that point that the leaks start.

It's almost the end of 2015 and we've heard basically nothing at this point. No significant leaks and no consistency amongst the rumours. Which means that either there has been some organisational miracle and they've somehow kept third parties quiet.... or it's not a 2016 home console.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LetsGoRetro

@Octane

Thank you for the help with the quotes.

"I will stay loyal to Sony despite not receiving many games because the development on those ones had tons of problems. However, I will not stay loyal to Nintendo because they failed to give me 1 game. The reason for this is the game had less development problems."

You believe people actually think something along these lines?

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

skywake wrote:

LztheQuack wrote:

The reason a year isn't long enough has nothing to do with hype or business strategies. It's more about the fact that with every person that knows it's harder to keep it a secret. For a portable it's easier to control the message because its less newsworthy and the development cycle is smaller. For a home console its like clockwork, if you want games at launch you have to get third parties on board at least two years before launch. It's at that point that the leaks start.

It's almost the end of 2015 and we've heard basically nothing at this point. No significant leaks and no consistency amongst the rumours. Which means that either there has been some organisational miracle and they've somehow kept third parties quiet.... or it's not a 2016 home console.

Uh.. Huh? Whether or not an amount of time is enough is CERTAINLY about hype and business strategies. That's ALL it's about. As far as which is more newsworthy is subjective, however to me home consoles are certainly MUCH more newsworthy. And, again, it's been months since we heard dev kits went out, with 13 more months to go. So, it sure looks like devs will have had 16-18 months from when they got their kits to launch, leaving plenty of time to hit the launch window.

Edited on by LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

skywake

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Uh.. Huh? Whether or not an amount of time is enough is CERTAINLY about hype and business strategies. That's ALL it's about.

Well sure but that doesn't change the fact that leaks are more likely to happen the more people know about something. Thus far we've had no significant leaks about the NX. We don't even know what it is at this point beyond the "industry leading chips" rumour from last month. That says something about how far away from this thing we are. You're not even touching the sides of my argument here.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

As far as which is more newsworthy is subjective, however to me home consoles are certainly MUCH more newsworthy.

Then you agree with me and yet are still missing the point I was making. The more newsworthy something is the more likely there are going to be leaks. The more newsworthy it is the more likely journalists are just going to assume that's what it is. It has been surprisingly quiet if what you're predicting turns out to be the correct theory. At this point I suspect that the "hybrid" nonsense that's being pushed has a lot to do with the fact that people just assume this thing is replacing the Wii U.... but get bits of information that make it sound like a portable. "it must be both!"

LetsGoRetro wrote:

And, again, it's been months since we heard dev kits went out, with 13 more months to go. So, it sure looks like devs will have had 16-18 months from when they got their kits to launch, leaving plenty of time to hit the launch window.

The rumour about the dev kits was last month. That's when we got that single rumour about the NX having "industry leading chips". They also changed the branding of their developer website at around the same time. Remember that they gave the Wii U dev kits out 2 years before launch and look at the issues it had with software at launch. You're suggesting that they'll only give their next home console 1 year. I think that's not only unlikely but it's pretty ominous if true.

Edited on by skywake

rallydefault

skywake wrote:

The rumour about the dev kits was last month. That's when we got that single rumour about the NX having "industry leading chips". They also changed the branding of their developer website at around the same time. Remember that they gave the Wii U dev kits out 2 years before launch and look at the issues it had with software at launch. You're suggesting that they'll only give their next home console 1 year. I think that's not only unlikely but it's pretty ominous if true.

What "issues" did it have with software at launch? Are you referring to the famous "game draught" between launch and Pikmin 3? I still don't get that. The Wii U launched with excellent first-party titles, NintendoLand and NSMBU, and exclusive ZombiU. 3 excellent games with tons of content. How is that not considered awesome? The new PlayStation or Xbox launches with 1 or 2 "ok" exclusive games (IF that many lol)and the launch is considered a resounding success... what the heck?

Anyway, I think your claim here about the development time needed is totally bogus. Aside from the 1st party stuff and exclusives, there were PLENTY of other games from third-party developers at Wii U's launch, and quite a few were really not that long on the market (a month or less, even). CoD was right there, a Mass Effect trilogy for owners of Wii who never got to experience the series, Darksiders II (I know I bought it - loved it), Assassin's Creed III just a couple weeks behind its mass release, Batman Arkham City (or was it Origins? I don't know, but I have it lol)... it had tons of software. And, as far as I know, none of them had gameplay/programming "issues." They all played just fine and a few like Batman even used the gamepad in little cool ways.

rallydefault

TuVictus

No Mass Effect trilogy for the Wii U. The other consoles got it, Wii U just got the third, unfortunately. Which is sad, I would have killed to be able to have them all on the Wii U

TuVictus

skywake

@rallydefault:
Like it or not there were issues with releases on the Wii U in that first year. Games they expected to hit launch had to be delayed by a few months. That was with a good two years between the dev kits going out. And yes the same was true for the XBOne and PS4 which also had about a 2 year gap before launch. So that's not all what I'm suggesting here.

What I'm saying is that if the NX comes out in 2016 that's only about 1 year for them to develop for it. About 6 months for them to have something to show at E3. That would be insane if true, I can't see that working. And we know that the dev kits haven't been floating around for a year already because we haven't got any major leaks yet.

As I've said a few times if it's a portable system then they might be able to get away with it especially if they're heavily leaning on first party content (Nintendo have been working on it for longer). But not for a home console, a home console game needs a lot more work. They need third parties on-board. So if it's a home console I can't see it being 2016.

Edited on by skywake

LetsGoRetro

skywake wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Uh.. Huh? Whether or not an amount of time is enough is CERTAINLY about hype and business strategies. That's ALL it's about.

Well sure but that doesn't change the fact that leaks are more likely to happen the more people know about something. Thus far we've had no significant leaks about the NX. We don't even know what it is at this point beyond the "industry leading chips" rumour from last month. That says something about how far away from this thing we are. You're not even touching the sides of my argument here.

I'm glad I read your whole post before responding, because the 2nd half of this post contradicts this first half. You corrected me that the Dev kits have only been out one month. So, in your own words, if they have only been out a month, that isn't a ton of time for stuff to leak. Maybe the still are researching. Maybe the first wave was sent to developers they have strong relationships with. And we've already had that leak about the industry leading chips. We know Nintendo is notoriously tight lipped, so we can't go by their lack of saying anything. The dev kits have been out a month, and we don't know who they went to. Maybe they sent them to companies they have a strong relationship with that are less likely to leak info. And there still was a leak. Maybe it takes the devs time to look at what the hardware is and the specifics of it before there are any details worth leaking? The fact that a ton of info didn't leak already is a very flimsy argument as to why the system can't come out in 13 months... To clarify: The contradiction I'm pointing out is, if the dev kits only went out a month ago, the lack of leaks doesn't matter as there hasn't been a ton of time FOR those leaks.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

As far as which is more newsworthy is subjective, however to me home consoles are certainly MUCH more newsworthy.

Then you agree with me and yet are still missing the point I was making. The more newsworthy something is the more likely there are going to be leaks. The more newsworthy it is the more likely journalists are just going to assume that's what it is. It has been surprisingly quiet if what you're predicting turns out to be the correct theory. At this point I suspect that the "hybrid" nonsense that's being pushed has a lot to do with the fact that people just assume this thing is replacing the Wii U.... but get bits of information that make it sound like a portable. "it must be both!"

[/quote]

Actually, this time I believe you missed the point, not I. Yes, I am a console gamer, not handheld, so to me personally home consoles are more newsworthy. The main point of that statement, however, which you missed, is that it's subjective. There are many people that feel portable announcements are way more newsworthy. The vast majority of Japan as an example. So your attempt at using this to be the likelihood of it being a home console is not effective, as you're stating your opinion as fact.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

And, again, it's been months since we heard dev kits went out, with 13 more months to go. So, it sure looks like devs will have had 16-18 months from when they got their kits to launch, leaving plenty of time to hit the launch window.

[/quote]

Ok, so it's been a month with 13 more to go. So companies have 14 months on what has been explained to me as an approximate 18 month dev period. Since 18 is approximate, let's say between 16-20. So, that would mean games would start coming to the system 2 months from launch at the earliest, 6 months at the latest... IE, the launch window! Hmmm, so there's a 2 month gap between launch and when those 3rd party games hit. Gonna need something good to fill that gap. I wonder what

LetsGoRetro

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.