Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 5,401 to 5,420 of 12,088

LuckyLand

I don't like the Dreamcast. The only Dreamcast game I like is Rez, it is great but it is just one game, and I don't even like the graphics in Dreamcast games. I think that Dreamcast is way overrated by many gamers. Once I heard an Xbox and Dreamcast enthusiast who said that the Xbox was the new Dreamcast. Probably I could say that I agree since I never liked the Xbox either. In my opinion both Gamecube and PS2 were much better and had much better games. I think that the best Sega console was the Genesis / Mega Drive, and unfortunately in my opinion they have never been able to keep up to what they did with it. Sega made some great games back then but they have never been able to capitalize on them, usually the first episode of all their ip was the best one, and this is not a good thing when someone makes both games and consoles.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

KirbyTheVampire

CanisWolfred wrote:

^Hahaha no that's...could you imagine how long that would take? I've had matches in Splatoon where 1 person dropped out on each team, and you could go really long spurts without encountering the other team. It'd be pretty boring. I mean, even if they have bots (do they?), it might not be nearly as compelling as somebody who can think or react or strategize like a human being. It's why bot matches went the way of the dodo in other FPS games (despite them being perfectly viable in non-team-oriented games! You don't need to coordinate in games like Call of Duty! No one nibelsnarfing talks to eachother, unless kareoke & hate speeches count).

...So, my unpopular opinion is that I would like to see more bot-compatible games is FPSes. Killzone for the Vita added them in via an update/DLC, and I had a blast with it. And it's not like I was steamrolling them or anything. How hard is it to program an AI that runs around the map and shoots anything it sees? Occasionally switching weapons, throwing grenades and knowing when to retreat - yeah, that might be more difficult, but I could still have fun even if those aspects were more rudimentary, since a lot of the fun is running around, shooting anybody you happen to see.

Isn't it possible to play a regular online match with just your friend and other random people? I would assume so, but I know nothing about Splatoon, so I could be wrong.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

KirbyTheVampire

CanisWolfred

CreamyDream wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Let's be real: even if you don't like it, it's undeniable that the system's ability to allow full portable play of its games is extremely popular so far.

Well, yea. I mean, I knew that, which is why I posted my opinion in the unpopular opinion thread.

Don't feel bad, a lot of people forget that's what this thread is about, instead of ComeAtMeBro 'R' Us, where the pitch forks are found right at the front, and the cashiers only accept floggings.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

MegaVel91

Other M did not assassinate Samus's character and people are overblowing their reactions entirely. They had this false expectation that Samus is supposed to be like Ripley from Alien just because Alien was the inspiration for Metroid, except she isn't. Samus didn't even have an actual, definable personality before Other M or Metroid Fusion, which showed inner monologue on a few occasions.

Everyone keeps claiming she did have a defined personality via her actions and body language, but that's pure bullpoo. That's just people trying to take the easy way out of the argument by using something that can be viewed subjectively just so they can try insert their own truth as gospel by saying "her doing X says Y and Z and ABC about her personality".

Face it. Outside of the Nintendo Power Comics and Captain N entries, which are non-canon to the games, she had no defined personal until Fusion and Other M. This is a fact.

watch the language please...-Joey

MegaVel91

Tyranexx

MegaVel91 wrote:

Other M did not assassinate Samus's character and people are overblowing their reactions entirely.

This always seems to be the "popular" reaction to Other M. I'm currently playing through the Prime games, but I'm willing to at least try out Other M after I'm finished with those. There are still a few physical copies of the game floating around in stores near me.

MegaVel91 wrote:

Everyone keeps claiming she did have a defined personality via her actions and body language, but that's pure bullpoo. That's just people trying to take the easy way out of the argument by using something that can be viewed subjectively just so they can try insert their own truth as gospel by saying "her doing X says Y and Z and ABC about her personality".

I agree. Other than in Fusion, she's more or less a blank slate, a canvas where you can fill in the blanks yourself (similar to other silent protagonists, like Link). This hasn't been more apparent to me than now, since I'm playing through Echoes and Samus has been exposed to some basic dialogue. Other than text blurbs in the beginning/end, the other Metroid games I've played (the 2D entries, and MP1) haven't really built upon Samus's personality other than Fusion's monologues.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

LuckyLand

@MegaVel91 yes but Other M was disappointing as a Nintendo game released for one of their consoles. It was a mediocre game and Nintendo never used a brand like this to create something like this on Wii. All their famous classic characters had great games on Wii, and in general in their other consoles, expecially home consoles. I'm not even a fan of Metroid, the only Metroid game I like is Metroid prime 1, I think that even Metroid prime 2 and 3 were disappointing compared to the first one but at least they were acceptable as games of one of their most famous recurring series.
Other than that, the fact that one character never had any personality and all of a sudden they make a game that changes that can legitimately make fans unhappy in my opinion. I have never been a Metroiid fan or Samus fan, but if I was I'd probably have been against that.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Ralizah

CreamyDream wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Let's be real: even if you don't like it, it's undeniable that the system's ability to allow full portable play of its games is extremely popular so far.

Well, yea. I mean, I knew that, which is why I posted my opinion in the unpopular opinion thread.

I understand all your points, and I think they're really great points, but my personal opinion is still unchanged.

Different people like to experience their games differently, and it's sad that the way I personally like to enjoy console games doesn't lend well to the Switch's philosophy.

When it comes to 3rd party, I personally will always choose the more competent/powerful version of the game over the one with a portability feature, I understand the appeal of portability though; it just isn't a good fit for me.

Personally, I can't make any progress in Breath of the Wild in a short play session aside from (maaaaybe) finding some random Korok seed, but that goes to show how differently people play the game.

Well, in fairness, I was responding, in particular, to this claim you made: "Now whenever there's non exclusive 3rd party games, people are obviously always gonna get the version on a more powerful console, and rightfully so." That seemed less like a claim about yourself and more a claim about what you expect other people will actually do, which would conflict with my argument that this isn't the case due to the popularity of the Switch's ability to play games anywhere.

I expect most games will still sell better on PS4, though, at least for the next few years, if only because that system has such an enormous install base.

Sounds like you'll be playing the Switch like I play the PS4: grudgingly, because the hardware philosophy doesn't really resonate with you.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MegaVel91

CreamyDream wrote:

MegaVel91 wrote:

Other M did not assassinate Samus's character and people are overblowing their reactions entirely. They had this false expectation that Samus is supposed to be like Ripley from Alien just because Alien was the inspiration for Metroid, except she isn't. Samus didn't even have an actual, definable personality before Other M or Metroid Fusion, which showed inner monologue on a few occasions.

Face it. Outside of the Nintendo Power Comics and Captain N entries, which are non-canon to the games, she had no defined personal until Fusion and Other M. This is a fact.

I disagree.

Video Games have a very unique form of storytelling that is often overlooked in favor of more traditional methods like cinematic cut-scenes and text-boxes.

However, in Video Games, a vast majority of the narrative is driven through the adventure the player unfolds him/herself through the actual gameplay.

Classic Metroid and the Prime Trilogy (whether it was intentional or not) had a great understanding of this.

I would argue that the Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and the Prime games did have solid characterization of Samus through the actions and adventure of the actual game, her visual acting, and smaller details like vocalized grunts and reactions to stuff when in distress.

The gameplay paints Samus to be a no-nonsense explorer, who traverses areas with wonders of the unknown but also with a realistic caution of her hostile surroundings. She defeats these ancient behemoths and keeps going and getting stronger and smarter, as she not only charts out uncharted territory but also uncovers ancient history that gives everything she does significant pretext.

These things aren't explicitly told to you and they shouldn't be. More importantly though, they also are not subjective.
They're directly experienced by the player through the gameplay and that doesn't make the presence of these narrative elements any less valid or legitimate.

You yourself, as Samus are a no-nonsense explorer, who traverses areas with wonder of the unknown but also with a realistic caution of your hostile surroundings. You defeat these ancient behemoths and keep going and getting stronger and smarter, as you not only chart out uncharted territory but also uncover ancient history that gives everything you do significant pretext

All of this is in the gameplay. You're exploring this planet you don't know, and as you do you chart it out on your map. You have to explore everything to uncover powerups to grow stronger and also learn how to traverse the world better. You're constantly attacked by hostile creatures, so you while you explore, you have to be cautious of them to successfully progress. You destroy these giant ancient beings and literally grow stronger from the experience to progress. You scan things to uncover the history of the area your in, or details you otherwise would not have known, and it gives what you're doing some pretext.

This is all mechanically ingrained into the game. It's what you do in Metroid, and no matter how much you dress it up with cutscenes telling you that you're suddenly playing as an emotionally fragile young woman who cries and has a breakdown at the sight of Ridley, the narrative being told through the actual gameplay says otherwise, as Samus has defeated Ridley time and time again BEFORE Other M with no issue.

It's just like how Niko Bellic in GTA 4 makes no sense in the cutscenes because he acts as if he wants to redeem himself and stop killing people, but the narrative told through the gameplay has you killing innocent people for fun.

Other M's story betrays and neglects what you did as Samus in the past games. The easiest and most clear example is simply that Samus never cried and lost her suit at the sight of Ridley, and she has fought stronger and more powerful iterations of him too. Several times.

EDIT: And this is not even counting how poorly executed almost every other story element in Other M was, like the very obvious stupidity of Samus not activating her Varia or Gravity suit despite it being a huge impediment to her progress and also not harming anyone.- This makes Samus seem like an emotionally immature fool, which again, betrays the past Metroid games.

I find your assessment incorrect: it's basically the same as other people are doing: you're trying to prop up something that isn't actually there by filling it with your own BS. Visual acting is only a thing if the character makes any actions that can hint at their character, in a way that actually makes any sense.

What you're doing is basically trying to put meaning to absolutely nothing, a lack of anything. You're trying to put character into a character's lack of defining action from early on in their franchise, where the design limitations and system limitations meant they couldn't fully define Samus' character. In other words, you're just looking for ways to justify hating her portrayal in Other M by propping up stuff that doesn't exist.

Other M was also just one instance of Samus breaking down at the sight of Ridley. One instance does not mean it happens every single time, the same way. It also ignores the fact that PTSD incidents can happen with varying severity.

Edited on by MegaVel91

MegaVel91

MegaVel91

@CreamyDream The player is in control of Samus the majority of the time, and you're saying "that's part of her character". You're attributing a players actions to being part of her character, and that is why it is nothing: that's not actual characterization. That's you making stuff up.

Zero Mission, Fusion, Prime 3 and Other M, are the only games where Samus has anything close anything regarding characterization. In Zero Mission we see some of Samus's reactions

-and her reaction to Ridley is not that of being a crybaby. You're over-exaggerating just because you hate the game and the way it portrays her, and I say that even as I admit the way the story was written was hot garbage, with little to no lead up for a lot of things and a lot of loose ends. Hyperbole doesn't make a good argument.

Her reaction to Ridley was one of extreme disbelief, probably because she believed Ridley was finally, you know, actually, factually dead and gone? For good reason too considering Zebes blew up in a planetary detonation, something pretty much nothing can survive.

Not to mention Ridley's body is never found in any of the games after he's defeated, save for Other M, where his clone escapes destruction and death by Samus' hands. Most of those can be attributed to limitations as well. Lets not forget the main reason Ridley even came back in Super Metroid was more than likely because of the Phazon he was injected with which began regenerating his original body (evidenced by the semi-fleshy / mechanical appearance of Omega Ridley).

-and I honestly don't really give a crap that my opinion is unpopular. I can't help laughing off the people who can't stand the idea that Samus can be vulnerable in more ways than just being caught of guard in combat, like she's not allowed to be a human character who has human problems and issues, like having PTSD for having her family murdered by Ridley, as if that's something that can't happen.

Edited on by MegaVel91

MegaVel91

MegaVel91

@CreamyDream I'm defending it cause people can't keep their hateboners for that scene in their pants and actually think about why it could make some amount of sense.

Also again, limitations man.

MegaVel91

Haru17

MegaVel91 wrote:

What you're doing is basically trying to put meaning to absolutely nothing, a lack of anything. You're trying to put character into a character's lack of defining action from early on in their franchise, where the design limitations and system limitations meant they couldn't fully define Samus' character. In other words, you're just looking for ways to justify hating her portrayal in Other M by propping up stuff that doesn't exist.

Yeah, people have this pseudo-intellectual dogma about cutscenes being a bad thing and the absence of storytelling somehow becoming a good plot. The plot and action of a story does matter, but it all becomes meaningless without some dialogue, cutscenes, and just text explaining it. I haven't played Other M and the writing looked pretty bad when I looked at it (like the title is cringe), but they can certainly do a lot more with Samus (and Link and Mario for that matter) than a silent protagonist.

Corruption was a step up in storytelling from the other Prime games because it actually had other characters and a more complex plot than, say, Prime 1 that was talking about the end boss lore the whole time. And despite the rhetoric, Corruption still feels like a wild, hostile, and isolating.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

I don't feel superior personally, but I do feel that my opinions are pretty good, and get irascible when exposed to the pseudo-intellectual dogma I mentioned. If you don't condescend toward cutscenes, then that's not you — I never said it was.

To tell a complex story though, you need dialogue, written or spoken. Games like Inside are Journey are, well, about the literal journey taken. Not to mention highly interpretive, and extremely short. As someone who follows games closely, I am not aware of an AAA title that replicates that. I love environmental story telling in games that are about that like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3 and 4, Life is Strange, Deus Ex, and of course the Prime Trilogy. However, in Elder Scrolls/Fallout you read diary entries and meet NPCs, in Life is Strange you read notes and listen to Max's comments on objects in the environment, and in Metroid Prime you read probably more text than either of those games for its length. Some form of text is a basic storytelling requirement essential for telling any sort of complex, specific and not interpretive story. To argue against that is just... you do know we were just talking about Metroid Prime, right?

Haru17

CreamyDream wrote:

Oh I totally agree with you that the Bethesda and Metroid Prime methods of storytelling are really cool. I love finding little stuff that just adds lore...

I don't think either approach is necessarily better or worse. It just depends on what the game is going for. There are games that I love on both ends of the spectrum.

Okay, you're not one of the dogmatic sorts — that's good. There seem to be a lot of cutscene hipsters in 2017...

I haven't played Sonic 3, but it's just hard to get across a lot of... character and plot detail without words. Like you could do it if you really tried, but what's the point besides having the story understandable to most cultures without a translation?

One of my favorite things about The Elder Scrolls is that it's been one of the only fully voiced open world games since Oblivion in 2006. Having that audio element in an HD, first-person, realistic fantasy world really adds to the immersion.

And then there's games like Twilight Princess that I really love for being third-person, linear, and telling a story through carefully written and directed cutscenes (a narrative tool that Bethesda games don't use, instead opting to have scenes play out in 3D space with your character/avatar moving around and watching as if you were standing there).

The only non-linguistic narrative games I can really say I like are Journey, Inside, and Abzu, which all go for that interpretive, mostly emotional narrative.

Guovssohas

That Starfox Adventures for the Gamecube is a great game, better than any other Starfox games.

Guovssohas

Luke64

The Memes Nintendo puts on twitter aren't that annoying

Nintendo Rules
NES Classic Edition Owner
Come on Reggie, Give us Mother 3!
#Vapenation
Keyblade Wielder and Jedi
History is cool

NEStalgia

@Haywired "I find NintendoLand depressing. Not because of the game itself (though I suppose it was an underwhelming launch title and representative of the Wii U Gamepad being dead on arrival), but because the NintendoLand Plaza feels like it's in heaven, so it feels like everyone's dead."

That is some SERIOUS emo junk going down here.

NEStalgia

Chalupa

Now I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but in my opinion I think Sun and Moon weren't really good. The Pokemon introduced were really meh, I did like all of the starters though(especially Litten), but the other Pokemon just felt really lacking. I was not a fan of the trials and were definitely my least favorite part of the games, besides the ghost trial that one was actually kind of cool. I know Pokemon really has been trying to develop a deep story-line into their games recently, but like there were also other objectives that kept you entertained in previous titles; in Sun & Moon it just felt like that's all there really was to it. I felt like I was playing Sun and Moon for just the story instead of going to gyms and challenging them to be the best. I feel like B&W did this perfectly; Black and White had a great plot, but also kept the aspect of gyms and reaching your goal to be the best. With trials it felt like you were just doing chores instead of a challenge. Now not to say gyms were challenging but it's the aspect of it, like conquering a gym and getting the badge notifying you that you have this many badges to get to challenge yourself at the E4. I know my explanation is pretty vague but the best way to put it is that Sun and Moon really did not feel like a main series Pokemon game. I know they wanted to try something different and the Alola region's big thing is 'not having gyms' but in the end I just wasn't a fan of the execution of the trials. I really hope trials are only an Alola region thing and for future installments to the series they use gyms again.

Trust in yourself
https://vid.me/Chalupa
https://mastodon.social/@Chalupa

Oat

@Chalupa I completely agree with you on Sun and Moon. I'm someone who hasn't actively played pokemon since gen 3 ( I was put off by gen 4 and I never got around to gen 5 even though it interested me and looks hella ambitious. Gen 6 was ok). I just didn't like the trial system and it felt like not enough was changed for gen 7. It seems like nowadays almost all the major changes affect competitive battling which I have no interest in. It leaves the single player portion feeling like an afterthought which makes me sad.

So zetta slow!
3DS Friend code : 0662-8265-1183
NNID: CaptainCharacter
Switch Friend code: SW-6964-7226-0016

Switch Friend Code: SW-6964-7226-0016 | 3DS Friend Code: 0662-8265-1183 | My Nintendo: Oat | Nintendo Network ID: CaptainCharacter

SharkAttackU

I think Star Fox Zero is the best Star Fox game.

NSMBU is a top 3 2D Mario game.

Paper Mario Sticker Star and Color Splash are fun, enjoyable games. I didn't really care for the speghetti-meet-wall character designs of ttyd. Looked like they were the rejects from a Sonic game.

And battle mode in Mario Kart is dumb. Never missed it in 8.

Edited on by SharkAttackU

SharkAttackU

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic