Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 43,681 to 43,700 of 96,530

ThanosReXXX

@WoomyNNYes I've simply bookmarked https://www.nintendolife.com/news as my main Nintendo Life go to page instead. I don't like how the home page is formatted.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

BabyYoda71

@ThanosReXXX As for the BotW vs. ACNH- agree to disagree. I heard it doesn’t have the best story, and I love story’s! I’ll still get it sometime.

Edited on by BabyYoda71

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

WoomyNNYes

@BabyYoshi12 I was being silly with strikethrough font, because of the formatting thread I helped you with a week ago. 🤪 That's all. 😉

Regarding the NL reviews page, it wasn't always sorted by most-recent. Which is why i haven't been using it. One to two years ago, I said something through the NL contact page or site ideas thread, recommending a chronological sort. They said they intended to sort by most recent, and would get to it when they got a chance. I don't know when they implemented the chronological sort. So, I just discovered it today.

@ThanosRexxx Yeah, I've always defaulted to news page, too. But sometimes I've just wanted to see if any new reviews were added.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

BabyYoda71

@WoomyNNYes Oh, yeah, I forgot about that thread. I’m pretty sure if you click the reviews filter from a review, it does sort by most recent, but maybe you’re talking about something else? Either that, or they added that feature shortly before I joined (I only started using this website in late March)

ThanosReXXX

@BabyYoshi12 Agree to disagree on what? I wasn't stating my opinion, I just explained the FACTUAL differences between the two games. You cannot disagree with facts, my friend.

As for the story: in my opinion (lol) it is the player that MAKES the story, by how you go about defeating the arch nemesis Ganon. Go straight in, or first do all the side quests and gather your strengths. You can do that, and all of the dozens of choices in between, which is what makes the game so versatile and fun. People who call the game empty, soulless, thin on story or whatever, just don't understand. Any story in any Zelda game is always just a background history, or it is the player retreading history, and learning as they go along.

The downside for fans of the more traditional Zelda players, is probably that these story bits/story lines are now found much farther away from each other, simply because of the immense size of the world, and that is more than likely what makes them feel the way they feel, perhaps not even knowing what to do, in between the many in-game miles of travel you need to do, in between places, because they're used to everything being packed closer together and gated.

Funny thing is that many fans always cried and moaned about wanting to have an open world Zelda game, and now that they have one, some of them are all like "yeah, I wanted it, but not like THAT"...

Luckily, there's still many people that ARE able to enjoy it for what it is, and it's clear that it's a good game, even by just looking at the majority of reviews. Having said that, there are undeniably some flaws in the game, but that's obviously due to it being the first time that they changed up the formula of the game that much, so personally, I'm expecting them to take what they've learned, and apply that to the upcoming sequel, to iron out all the kinks, and make it an even better experience.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

WoomyNNYes

@BabyYoshi12 When you select REVIEWS in the red header of the NL site, it takes you to a page of just Reviews. When I started using NL in 2017, that reviews page didn't sort by most recent. Even applying the sort-by-most-recent filter didn't sort the reviews chronologically. There was a bug. So, sometime in the past 1-2 years they fixed it

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

NEStalgia

@NotTelevision I kind of agree on Astral Chain, but I'm not sure. There's lot of discoverables I'm missing my first time through in that game. It might need a second play to really explore once I know how it all works.

FE is a game I almost never complete or even get close to completing. I take sooooooooooo loooooooooong thinking about every turn and testing each possible move idea each battle takes hours. I enjoy it but I also burn out on it quickly. I never even got to the time jump!

NEStalgia

BabyYoda71

@ThanosReXXX Well, the way you stated the facts makes it sound like your opinion was that BotW is better than New Horizons, which isn’t my opinion. I will probably get BotW, but not before Xenoblade, which I hear has a better story , while Zelda has better gameplay .

I’ve been wondering lately- What does ‘open-world’ actually mean? Does it mean you’re free to do whatever you want? If that’s the case, it’s very misleading, I thought it meant you’re free to walk wherever you want in a 3D world. Also, what classify’s as ‘whatever you want’? Would Odyssey count as open-world?

Edited on by BabyYoda71

BabyYoda71

@WoomyNNYes So, somewhere in between 2017 to March 2020.

BruceCM

Well, there's a bit of variety, these days, @BabyYoshi12 .... Open World games generally give you at least a lot more freedom in the game world but there are, usually, limits For BotW, once you've finished the initial area, in theory, you could try going straight for the final boss fight, although that would be extremely difficult & you'd miss out on most of the game
For the 'do whatever you want', again, there always are limits to that &/or consequences of doing some things but, generally, there's more freedom of choice in the genre than in older, more 'linear' games I don't know enough about Animal Crossing to compare it to BotW, really & they're obviously completely different sorts of games in every other way

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

ThanosReXXX

@BabyYoshi12 I think you misunderstood, then. To make it simpler/more factual, here's a short list of the main differences:

• BotW: completely free game progression vs ACNH: assignment-based progression of the world/game
  • Botw: true, go anywhere open world vs ACNH: gated/boxed-in environments with invisible borders
  • Botw: after initial prologue, no hand holding vs ACNH: near constant hand holding by means of assignments and/or contacts in game (aka the Nook gang and such)
  • BotW: completely free reign of exploring/mining the world, collecting weapons and crafting food items vs ACNH: fixed templates for tools, decoration items and so on, except for some basic design options for clothes, wallpapers and flags/banners.

Now, it IS true that you can also shape the world in Animal Crossing, but that too, is in basic templates, by which I mean that when you use a shovel, you make a perfectly round hole every time. When you carve away ground or a wall, to let the water run through, or make a waterfall, then that section that's carved away, is basically a square block. Breath of the Wild's game environment sculpting, or rather: destruction, is far more organic. That's a conscious design choice on both accounts, obviously, but still...

As for your question: I don't know in what other way I ought to interpret open world, than in "go anywhere". It does not mean "do anything", that's more something that often comes along for the ride, but it isn't the main factor.

And sure, you could basically do "whatever" you want in Super Mario Odyssey, but that would defeat the purpose of the game, and it most definitely isn't an open world game, because it has worlds, levels and gated sections. In comparison, you can truly do whatever you want in BotW, and it also adds to the experience, as well as your in-game skill, seeing as you need to collect items to be able to achieve certain things.

Now, I can almost hear you think "but isn't that the same as in Mario Odyssey, where you also collect stuff to further the story?" and the answer is a resounding "no", because where in the Mario games, you collect predestined stuff like coins, stars and moons, you can collect whatever you want in BotW, to either make various kinds of foods or potions, and each and everyone of these myriads of crafted items, will grant you some kind of prowess or protection, to be able to achieve something new. But for all intent and purposes, you can keep fishing, hunting or potion brewing for as long as you wish (albeit depending on your inventory's storage space, which will grow as you progress), whereas in the Mario game, when you have collected all the coins/stars/moons, then that world, or section of the world, is finished, so walking/running around in it doing whatever you like, even though you could basically do that, is pretty useless, once those main objectives are achieved.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

BabyYoda71

@ThanosReXXX I didn’t say that Animal Crossing is open world. BotW is more open. Just personally, in my humble opinion, I like Animal Crossing better. Nothing to do with open world, I just like playing with other people.

It’s honestly kind of hard participating in this without playing BotW, but it doesn’t let you go anywhere, does it? You can’t leave Hyrule.

Aside from the story, in Odyssey, you can essentially do anything. There’s four different endings, which makes it seem pretty huge.

Edited on by BabyYoda71

Anti-Matter

Oh, gosh!
EA Play Live 2020 will be started 1 hour later in my place.
Cross finger for Sims games on Nintendo Switch....

Anti-Matter

NintendoByNature

Ill be watching while enjoying a nice beer, and some Chinese food 😊

NintendoByNature

BabyYoda71

Well, I’ll be watching Netflix, so enjoy your livestream guys!

Dark_Magician

Have you guys noticed on the EA live stream, it already has 90 dislikes😂

Mancer_X

NotTelevision

@Dark_Magician Haha. Maybe there are already anticipating FIFA 2021 Lagacy Edition.

But nah I’m going to give it a watch in sec. Its that time of year again, after all.

@BruceCM Yeah I heard that’s the longest Assassin’s Creed game in the series. Might give it a shot one of these days, but I still have yet to any of The Witcher DLC, and I “beat” that game a couple years ago. Need to put aside a couple of weeks for that.

@NEStalgia Yeah I put about 20 hours into Astral Chain the first time, and tried to find everything. Still there are some things I definitely missed. I had a good time with it, but there are only certain Platinum games I really feel the need to revisit. I’ll give Wonderful 101 a try, when I get a chance though.

FE battles are indeed very long. I definitely learn more and more each time I fall in battle, but you just have to get used to regularly losing hours of progress because you screwed up.

It’s a good strategy game, but I understand taking a break for a while. Return when you get the urge to play a slow paced strategy game.

NotTelevision

Heavyarms55

@WoomyNNYes Sorry, I was sleeping when you tagged me. And I think the latest review thing has been there a while. Though I don't pay that close of attention.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Anti-Matter

The Sims 4.... For Steam.
But NOT for Nintendo Switch. 🙄
EA hates money from Nintendo gamers. 😒

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic