Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 32,881 to 32,900 of 35,423

HobbitGamer

@BougieBeetle Ah, the Chit Chat thread. Also called The Long Forum 😂

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx I'll make a mental note to remind myself to tag you in all of my future text walls.
Just because...

@BougieBeetle Heheh... if you've seen some of the replies that me and @NEStalgia fling back and forth, you'd easily be able to guess that I'm not that easy to offend. Once I am, though... let's just say I got an elephant's memory...

But in all seriousness: no, I took absolutely no offense, and I already kinda amended for calling you "unequivocally" wrong by toning down my earlier comment in the following one, but I do think that the allocating resources comment was a bit too short-sighted, because it really isn't as simple as that.

If it were, then we wouldn't be having famine in third world countries, and we also wouldn't have first world countries robbing second and third world countries of all their natural resources and habitats, in order to create space for all of our useless luxury product ingredient plantations...

So, in short, it's a complex situation that requires an equally complex solution, especially if it's supposed to be a sustainable solution that'll last us more than just a couple of generations.

As for all of my comments in general: I'm the most social guy you'll never meet, so none of my comments have any angry intent, and should therefore also not be interpreted as such. I'm actually also not really a confrontational guy, but if and when challenged/provoked, I won't walk away either, because I'm afraid of nobody.
But I never go looking for trouble, and all of that only counts in real life. On forums, I'm pretty mellow.

And since I'm also a "say what you mean" kinda person, you'll know when I actually am ticked off or about to virtually strangle someone. Right, @NEStalgia?

The thing with online discussions/communication is that, somehow, a lot of people always try to read between the lines when reading other people's comments, or at the very least interpret things their own way, which is where (in my opinion) most of the conflicts come from, so I'd say that in more than half of the cases, there never even needed to be any discussion or disagreement in the first place. But because you're missing important factors such as tone of voice and being able to look someone in the eye, you have to be extra clear with what you're trying to say.

Sometimes even I myself tend to forget that, and then I find myself spending two or three text walls to re-explain my original intent or point...

@HobbitGamer Amen to that...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX That's a dramatic simplification of history though. Somehow history has been reduced to comic book villains single handedly responsible for their nations actions, wholly crazed without practical rationality, where the heroes won and the villains were dispatched, and justice always prevails! Stalin's probably the only one of the group that comes close to that anti-ideal.

It's so much more complicated, for all the nations of the named dictators. In the case of the Nazis, it wasn't a one-man show until late in the war years where he was fully tyrannical and in control unchecked. In the beginning he was the face of the movement, largely because he was highly charismatic, a great orator/motivational speaker, and his partially manufactured background story was perfectly tailored for the message/provocation it was designed for. But it was very much a COMMITTEE movement. He was involved but wasn't even the main drafter of the agenda. He didn't have unchecked power at the time, especially before the war began in earnest in the 30's and was very much part of a consensus panel, albeit as the figurehead. It was a lot bigger than one person. And there was a lot more involved than "revenge". Yes, the mixture of the excessive reparations from WWI, the humiliation of defeat, and the Great Depression mixing with that to make a truly miserable place made the public overall desperate for revenge, and regaining status....but that was only part of it. The actual historical context gets lost. The Ottoman and Austrio-Hungarian empires had collapsed (notice you almost never hear that aspect mentioned in modern infotainment history?) The actual political and social structure had just been crushed and radically altered producing vast uncertainty. There was the economic crisis of the Depression (and specific problem of the Depression + overreaching sanctions/reparations by the US and France mostly.) There was the dawn of the industrial revolution and it's tremendous upheaval of the order of society and the realization that whoever controlled industrialism controlled the world - and Germany was being entirely left out of it as a result of the said overreaching sanctions and reparations.) And there was the threat of the Iron Curtain expanding ever Westward. That one there is really the catalyst that finally started the whole process. The public voted on the fairly radical party (but not as radical at the time as after they had cemented power and gained control of all things) because they were desperate for solutions on all that, and it was something that stood opposed to their idiot aristocrat leaders who got them into their current problem for their own ends to begin with, and that was the only party that actually seemed to have an agenda to address all of it. But with the cocktail of problems present, in reality, even if there had never been a Hitler or a Nazi party, there probably still would have been a war, just a more conventional one without the comic book larger than life villains. The situation was untenable, and IMO, historians massively blew it, separating WWI and WWII in historical context. Viewed as a whole, it's actually just one long war with a sizable lull between phases as the pieces regrouped. That's more a failure of historians segmenting things after the fact that are really a single long event. Instead of "WWI and WWII" it would probably make more sense to have just called the whole thing "The Great War" rather than only referring to "WWI" by that name. Historians mark the surrender of WWI as the end of that war, but in reality it was a fake surrender - the hostility fomented only until a leadership with a renewed strategy was found, and it didn't take long. It was much more a continuation than a second war (and many of the other regional wars continued unabated, or followed in step with the powers resuming hostilities.)

And then there's Stalin and the USSR....I could fill 10 forums just on that alone, so I won't bore you

There's so, so, so, so much detail, and nuance, and inter-connectivity. I swear nobody understands a thing about history. Even relatively recent history! No WONDER we keep going in circles in the world! If nobody knows what actually happened in the past and everyone just knows storybook cliff notes of it, of course we'll keep screwing up the same things! From overpopulation and the ME in the 11th century to understanding the situation in Germany from WWI into the election of the Nazi party nobody ever seems to have awareness of what really happened! You just get comic book cliff notes of a comic villain in a police state and death camps and a warpath. That was the END of the story. After everything already was going very badly. It misses everything about how it got there, the real practical concerns that it was attempting to solve! Especially how history is taught in the US, you would think the Nazis sprang into existence fully in control of Poland and Czechoslovakia and bearing down on the UK. It's as though nothing between the Hundred Days Offensive and the Warsaw Blitzkrieg existed.

@Heavyarms55 That's remarkably shocking in Japan. If it were here I'd yawn...just another normal day in a place of dissimilar groups/"tribes" squashed together in a world of make believe. But in Japan? I mean that sort of thing is practically unheard of! I'm curious to hear if they release any details on motive etc. I feel like whenever that sort of thing happens in Japan the culprit is usually someone that's very visibly unbalanced, and is known to be unstable, etc. just a true deranged individual, versus here where it's usually ideology/political message/revenge/hate demonstration related. I'm interested in hearing more details whenever there's more information.

Also, if you ever go back, you're taking me with you. No exceptions. I'm not going to listen to you living the life I wish I were living again.

@HobbitGamer We're not even warmed up yet.....

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

I swear being a collector is a disease. This is an insane amount of mark up, but I must have it... I just need them to start releasing Starlights merch so I can get my 3 statues and get my life back.

https://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/figures-goodies/23017-sailor-...

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia Agreed on the historical context of what I call ‘sound byte storytelling’. The US Civil War faces some of the same tropes, in terms of most folks only discussing the abolitionist ideal as the reason. There were a lot of lead up policies and political tit for tat events before Fort Sumter. Yet all the dang tourists in Charleston would love to look out the bay at Battery Park and day “So that’s where the South started the war”.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Ralizah

@Heavyarms55 30+ people dead. It's a really shocking act of mass murder, especially for such a peaceful nation.

There's a GoFundMe set up by Sentai Filmworks on behalf of KyoAni that has already hit almost a million dollars, if anyone is interested in donating.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama Until you start buying Pokemon cardboard for $60,000 you're still ok.

@HobbitGamer Oh absolutely, the history told on the US Civil War is disastrously incomplete to the point of being almost entirely fiction as a result. I've heard tell that the history taught in Germany about WWII is even worse than how they teach it here. It seems like whenever history is taught in the country where something happened , the first priority is making sure to save face for the winning side, and villainizing the losing side at the cost of reality and truth. Understanding the events is readily sacrificed to be sure everyone has the "right opinion", and no sympathy for the "wrong side."

Maybe instead of "sound byte storytelling" a better label is just "storytelling" - that's what it amounts to. It's interesting stories with heroes and villains, tightly packed with the most exciting and dramatic events, with an introduction, climax, and resolution. All the boring real life details and inner workings are stripped out since they're not the exciting parts, and the characters and events are all larger than life, such that the events that happened then were so much bigger than anything that could happen today, and thus it all stays safely in the past.

The Civil War is such a complexity going all the way back to the signing of the Constitution itself. You can't get to C without starting at A. All the threads started being woven there with the rejection of the Articles of Confederation, escalating until Fort Sumter. And worse is that most Americans believe the Civil War was about preserving/ending slavery, when it was never actually about that at all, it was about much more overreaching political/economic/fundamental conflict, of which the continuation or discontinuation of slavery was a critical component for each sides economic design, and political leverage.

If the basis of any discussion isn't even based on the actual causes, catalysts, and objectives of events in history, the conversation is doomed from the start.

(I thought I posted this like 3 hours ago...oh well!)

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia wait what? 60K cardboard?

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

NEStalgia

@Ralizah It's about the last place on Earth I'd imagine that sort of thing happening. I realize it was an isolated incident, no doubt by a single disturbed individual, and probably not related to any ideological message or anything, but the scale of it for a fairly "random act of violence" is unexpected. You expect that to be possible on something corporate/political/olympic/something with complications and implications...but a film studio?

I'd say it seems arbitrary but considering Pokemon fans....maybe fandom is becoming actually dangerous when it comes to art & entertainment?

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia The problem is that, when something like this enters the public consciousness, it makes copycat attacks more likely to happen. It's why the media circuses surrounding mass shootings and whatnot are ultimately so irresponsible. Although I'm uncertain how the national media in Japanese covers events like this.

Hopefully it also pushes Japanese politicians to mandate new fire safety precautions for office buildings. It shouldn't have been so difficult for these people to escape. Although I'm guessing the huge amount of paper everywhere and the use of petrol probably didn't help in terms of giving people there time to make it to safety.

Considering the arsonist was reportedly screaming "Die!" as he set the fire, I'm guessing he was probably a few cards short of a full deck. He hadn't worked there, and he doesn't seem to be some irate super-fan.

Off-topic, but have you ever seen the film Perfect Blue? Its chilling dissection of obsessed fandom, the interplay between privacy and technology, and the exploitation of women in the idol industry was hugely ahead of its time when it released in the 90's. I was even more impressed when I read the original novel and found out that the source material was complete schlock. Satoshi Kon somehow took this baudy Silence of the Lambs knock-off and turned into one of the most intelligent thrillers I've ever seen.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Ninfan

@Knuckles-Fajita hello
I don't know if I asked you before .If I did sorry to ask again. But do you know an online company in Britain (I'm in ireland) that sells brand new Sinclair zx spectrum 48K games or can I get +2 games .when I say +2 games I mean actual +2 games you know probaly better graphics than a 48 k game or was there ever +2 games

Ninfan

3DS Friend Code: 5430-2977-8452 | My Nintendo: Nin10dofan | Nintendo Network ID: 462971 name nin10dofan

Knuckles-Fajita

@Ninfan Oldest I've seen is Master System/NES. Nothing in terms of traditional British gaming systems.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ryu_Niiyama

Ralizah wrote:

@Heavyarms55 30+ people dead. It's a really shocking act of mass murder, especially for such a peaceful nation.

There's a GoFundMe set up by Sentai Filmworks on behalf of KyoAni that has already hit almost a million dollars, if anyone is interested in donating.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal

I just saw this. Wow. How can someone do this and live with themselves? People can't even let others just go to work and live their lives in this world. So glad tomorrow is payday, I'll be donating as soon as my check deposits. Thank you for the notice.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ninfan

@gcunit

Ninfan wrote:

@Knuckles-Fajita hello
I don't know if I asked you before .If I did sorry to ask again. But do you know an online company in Britain (I'm in ireland) that sells brand new Sinclair zx spectrum 48K games or can I get +2 games .when I say +2 games I mean actual +2 games you know probaly better graphics than a 48 k game or was there ever +2 games

Ninfan

3DS Friend Code: 5430-2977-8452 | My Nintendo: Nin10dofan | Nintendo Network ID: 462971 name nin10dofan

Ninfan

@gcunit sorry to bother you could you tell me anything about what I wrote to knuckles-fajita

Ninfan

BougieBeetle

@ThanosReXXX Ah, it's true, you did tone down your comment, and I should give you credit for it! Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I agree that tone and interpretation are an issue in online forums, and something I've fallen victim too (especially in my younger days). It's easy to fall into "argument mode" and lose sight of the other person's feelings (not that I'm saying you're doing that, just that it's easy). I'm into non-violent communication these days, and I try to be more mindful of how my posts might come across.

Perhaps I was being reductive about a complex issue. I would group a lot of the problems you mentioned under the broad umbrella of resource allocation (on a global scale), but I understand why some might disagree.

Just for context, I was almost a lawyer in one life, and I've grown weary of endlessly litigating things that people have written, lol. I was also almost a professional chess instructor, and in that sense I like exchanges that must necessarily reach a conclusion. And now, I'm a sort of a historian by trade, which informs my viewpoint that all of history is murky and all the evidence we have is unreliable.

@HobbitGamer, you said it, haha

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

bimmy-lee

@BougieBeetle - I like lore. What lore do you like? What histories do you keep with you? I’d say I’m generally interested in all strange and unverifiable human stories, but my specialties are probably pre WWI American primitive music, depression era hobos, mid century carnie culture, and pro wrestling.

bimmy-lee

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia You know...I have no desire to be a kept woman. But sometimes I understand why some women make that a life goal. Although honestly I'd be afraid if I married some geeky rich woman. No checks and balances...it isn't like I'D be the responsible one. And if we shared the same hobbies/fandoms...That is the only time I can justify a house bigger than 4 bedrooms (I detest kids so to me anything large is excess)...gotta have the hobby rooms!

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic