Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 32,901 to 32,920 of 34,160

NEStalgia

@Ralizah he must have had SOME connection to the place.... Or someone that worked there to have targeted an entertainment studio... It does sound targeted. If not a fan or employee, maybe a competitor, contractor, mailman, crazy ex of the receptionist.... Something connecting him. Still, that's not normally the Japanese psyche. Sounds like Western snapping.

Agreed on the copy cats. Not sure about office fire codes. If it's an old building I'm not sure it's right to force people to spend money to retrofit something that's been fine. Usually (here) that only applies to new construction and modifications.

As you said though. Art studio. Paper, acetone, oil, etc, by the gallon and drum. Ever see a tattoo or nail salon go up? Nasty.

No I've never seen that film. Sound fascinating but also probably not my idea of a good time

NEStalgia

BougieBeetle

@bimmy-lee Lore is great! Right now I'm actually really into Nintendo lore (both the history of the company and the lore of the Mario franchise). I host a podcast (link in my sig, shameless self-promotion baby, lol) where we go through the history of SMB stage by stage and just go super in depth on the history and lore of the game. I've been reading David Sheff's book Game Over and Steven L. Kent's The Ultimate History of Video Games, as well as various Nintendo comics, shows, films, etc.

IRL, I work at a history museum in the midwestern US, so we get into all kinds of lore about Lewis and Clark, American Indians, 19th century diseases, disasters, frontier life, the American Civil War, all that stuff. Also more contemporary stuff like the civil rights era.

But in general I love history, including the topics you mentioned! The stuff about hobos and pro wrestling sounds especially cool to me. What kind of stuff have you been grooving on lately?

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

Heavyarms55

As others have pointed out, I woke up to the news that the death toll from the Kyoto attack has tripled since I saw the breaking news yesterday. Hatred. That's what I feel toward the attacker. Actual hatred. I want him to suffer before they execute him. And I didn't even know any of the victims. I can't imagine what the survivor's and the family of the dead feel right now. The news said it was one of the worst acts of mass murder in Japan since WW2. They had to go all the way back to WW2 because this kind of violence is not normal here.

Damn the attacker. And I don't mean that as the swear word, I mean it in the literal sense. I hope he is damned straight to hell.

No excuses, no "mental illness get out of real punishment free card". Nothing short of God himself could forgive this. And I hope he doesn't.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia Trust me, as someone born in Virginia and then living in South Carolina and Georgia the majority of my life, that particular history is always told by the ‘winners’ 😂

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 IIRC In Japanese law, accusation is effectively guilt, and there are no plea bargains and remittances. The accusation = guilt thing is actually one thing i do dislike about Japanese society... Trials are effectively theater..... However if it were any other society it would be a horror show, but in Japan it's generally on the level, and part of the reason is they spend far less on the legal system than we do, and prosecutors are underfunded, so they effectively don't actually try cases they aren't already certain they'll win, because they don't have the resources to spend on dead end results. This one seems pretty slam dunk. And there aren't any Johnny Cochran's there (unless Phoenix Wright is based on a true story...). I wouldn't worry about that... You're not in Kansas anymore..

I'm more curious about connection and motive and why that would suddenly happen in a place where that sort of thing doesn't really happen. Here if a few dozen people are killed you just shrug and carry on, it's normal. Bodies in the park is a daily thing. But that's result of our immensely conflicted and twelve way divided society. Not there.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama oh snap, she wants the 60k cardboard now. What have i done..........

@HobbitGamer of all the history teaching crimes, the us civil way is far and away the most egregious attempt at soviet style revisionism.... They've almost entirely rewritten history to tell a story that suits modern political agendas. Most people don't even know any part of the real history. Most don't understand the effect of the start of us involvement in wwI on the reconstruction in the South and it's event right through today, and on what was at the time the newly freed slaves and it's event right through current society and conditions. Nobody today would link segregation and Wilhelm II...... But they're intrinsically related. And above all everyone is taught to revere Lincoln.... The only man to declare Total War on his own country this side of Josef Stalin.

(Event = effect.... Darn phones..)

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia I agree that Japan's legal system isn't perfect. No country has a perfect system. But I don't care about the motive. Whoever or whatever he is, I want them to deny him everything. No infamy, no documentaries to understand why or how, just buried shame. Make him the faceless scumbag sent to the gallows with nothing!

Feel free to add me

Anti-Matter

I always upset to hear mass murder by guns.
I mean, to the HELL those f***ing evil peoples. 🤬😠
I blamed 18+ movies / video games with too much violences, foul languages and guns were the root of all that mass murder.
It might be didn't colerate between fiction violences and human behaviour but it still inspired someone to get into that sin. It motivated some peoples to do evil things just only saw the titles / hear about that.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Link-Hero

@Anti-Matter
Of course, you're doing it again. Blaming media for someone's violent tendencies instead of the person's well being and mental state. Also, the attacker used arson on the people and building, not guns. 😒

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

NintendoByNature

I rarely post on these types of hot button topics but I'm with @Link-Hero on this one. It's not movies or games causing this. It's best to consider what the mental health is of the person committing the crime. I watch tons of horror movies and slasher films. Especially around Halloween. You won't see me out there committing murder. Heck I haven't even been in a fight since 8th grade that I can remember. All im saying is, it's hard to pinpoint the reason being games or movies that are violent. People can be violent all on their own. Think of how violent people were hundreds of years ago before all of these electronics were available to them.

NintendoByNature

HobbitGamer

Edit; topic dropped.

I’m playing some Red Faction. Love driving around mars and smashing ore deposits.

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

bimmy-lee

I love Native American history. My area is rich with Miami lore. I did a lot of arrowhead hunting with my dad when I was young. Aside from some nice collection of large and small game heads, we found a perfect spear head, some fish hooks, and a gorgeous obsidian head that traveled a looong way to end up here.

The library is my main resource for hobo info. Most of the good older books are out of print and hard to come by. I’ve been learning about hobo signs by googling around, and carnie speak from www.goodmagic.com. Viceland has a couple decent docu series about pro wrestling that I’ve watched lately and enjoyed. All the docs in The Dark Side of the Ring series are good, but the Bruiser Brody episode is the clear stand out. There’s also a series about wrestling around the world titled The Wrestlers. The final episode is witch catch wrestling in the Congo.

I’m always up for some Nintendo lore. I’ll check out your pod!

bimmy-lee

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 while you're just about the last person I'd have expected to hear calls for violence as revenge for violence from, my inner Neitzche and the little Machiavelli that sits ever upon my shoulder applauds you! Tribes, indeed!

Still a mystery must not go unsolved. I agree, no documentaries and so on should (ever) happen. However a simple report of facts without sensation is useful, and especially so to those involved, but also those emotionally affected such as yourself, to make sense of the event. Random attacks without a known cause, even if it's a cause that only truly makes sense to the stake, are more disturbing than when you understand what happened, even if the reason doesn't make sense. The human psyche doesn't agree with an attack "just because they could" so much as "because they had a grudge against someone there" or even a deranged reason like "because the sign was looking at me funny".... Our brains like to make sense of things that happen rather than leave them as "for no reason"... Because we know there's usually no such thing as no reason (except in cases of true disassociate behavior at the far end of sociopathy)

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

On the topic discussed above (I'll keep this short and concise): This is terrible news. I'm always saddened and sickened when someone takes innocent lives for whatever reason. Whatever the cause, whatever made the guy snap, I agree: do not plaster every iota of info about the guy on the airwaves. What they need to do is respect the victims and their families.

@ThanosReXXX Oh, so THAT'S how it's gonna be....

@HobbitGamer That... doesn't sound very fun. I find report building in my own environment tedious a lot of the time, but I suppose it beats the brain workout that I and another developer had this afternoon when we were trying to figure out a bug on his end. It dealt with a part of the system that neither of us know much about, and nobody with the knowledge was around at the time.

Also, was "cold dead hands" unintended, what with the family business and all?

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS), SteamWorld Heist (Wii U)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia It's not purely about revenge. I am pro death penalty in general because I believe certain people remain a threat to society, even locked up. That some people prove themselves to be so dangerous that it is too dangerous to keep them alive, even in prison. However in this case, I admit some desire for vengeance because I am particularly disgusted by this man, for attacking a place I hold so dear personally. I've been to Kyoto dozens of times. I love the city more than my own home town!

And yeah, I don't want it buried like a cover up, it's important to understand why something happened so we can work to prevent a re-occurrence. But I don't want this man to live in the archives of history as some famous evil dude who gets movies made about him in 30 years. I want him tried, convicted and executed. And I want his time prior to execution to be as miserable as legally possible. Then I want his story shamed, and treated as taboo. Something only ever looked at again in a purely intellectual study.

He murdered at least 32-33 people, injured dozens more, possibly destroyed the careers of the survivors, destroyed families, friends, lovers, partners and coworkers. Possibly destroyed a talented company. And all that is just scratching the surface. No possible motivation justifies anything less than the fullest and most extreme punishment possible within the law. And if it were up to me, we'd change the law and make a special case for an even more extreme punishment for a crime like this.

And to be clear, it's not just because this happened in Japan. (Though that does make me more angry) I feel the same sort of extreme punishment is needed for every one of these mass murderers no matter where they occur. Kyoto, Orlando, Las Vegas, San Benadino, Sandy Hook, London, Paris, anywhere. Mass murders like this are a special kind of evil. A gross excess of violence far beyond the norm. And this violence seems like it is spreading. But perhaps we just hear about it more, but I think, in a way, that's part of the problem. The idea is out there more prevalent than ever before.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Feel free to add me

HobbitGamer

@Tyranexx Haha, no I was referring to the old “They can take X when they pry it from...” phrase. But I like the new idea better!
Did y’all get it sorted? I wound up getting all mine wrapped up after this week’s billing cycle this morning. I found out that one of the IT folks is leaving next week, and he’s the one most familiar with our EMR. I also found out that my agency may be an eligible employer for the public services loan forgiveness afternoon ten years. If it is eligible, I may go to the execs and see if I can leverage that. 10 years for x increase annually or such.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Tyranexx

I forgot to mention something cool that I found out recently. I spoke with an older acquaintance who was drafted into the US Army just after WW II. He spent a lot of his time after Basic stationed in Sendai, Japan. Definitely a neat experience, according to him.

@HobbitGamer Hah, don't worry, I knew what you meant. I just thought the use of the phrase was funny in light of previous conversations.

We made some progress but decided to table it for the day. It was getting late at that point, and we were both mentally shot. XD I left work late because I needed to wrap up something else and deploy a new build of my side of the software (desktop) for them to test through tomorrow.

I'd definitely try to work that opportunity! Good luck, and I hope things pan out in your favor!

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS), SteamWorld Heist (Wii U)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

BougieBeetle

@bimmy-lee I live kind of close to Cahokia Mounds, if you've heard of that. Lots of fascinating history there on the Mississippian people, whose history is more or less lost except for archaeological information and oral histories from other native peoples. There are plenty of other groups that lived in my area also, like the Osage, but there were lots of others. A lot of that dove tails with William Clark who was a very important figure in relation with Native Americans.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll be sure to check out some of those sites and docu series you mentioned. I've always been fascinated by pro wrestling, both the performance angle of it and the behind the scenes stuff. And you'll have to let me know what you think of the pod!

Re: the tragic events in Japan, I'm sort of avoiding the discussion because of how painful it is, but I am of course deeply saddened and troubled by what happened and can't help thinking about the Aum Shinrikyo attacks from 1995.

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic