Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 30,421 to 30,440 of 96,530

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Oh, THAT blue light. I thought on the console itself, obviously. Well, to be honest, it doesn't really sound like anything even remotely useful, so far as I'm concerned, it doesn't sound like a huge loss.

But now that you've explained it, I also think that it may have been tied to the whole Miiverse thing, and seeing as that was canned, much like TVii, another thing that might possibly have used these notifications, there probably wasn't much need or useful purpose for that notification light.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

1UP_MARIO

The blue light on the gamepad was used for the quick start menu, aswell as notifications like directs or new releases, dlc. I’m sure most Switched the feature off as it use to wake the game pad on for a while with it’s ringtone too

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

NEStalgia

@1UP_MARIO Hmm, interesting, I had it switched on, but I never had it light up, on 2 consoles in the house.

You're in the UK....I wonder if it could be by territory? I.E. could US region models have had it permanently disabled when it worked in the rest of the world? That's very curious.

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - I’m US, and I’m pretty sure I turned off the blue notification light on the home button early on because it drained the 20 minute battery. Didn’t matter much though, the gamepad was dead or dying every single time I used it.

@ThanosReXXX - Cheers. Five unexpected things happened this morning, and I didn’t get to watch any of it.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee The extended battery was the best thing that ever happened to the GamePad. I also used the charging cradle....man, I can't imagine a GamePad without it.

NEStalgia

1UP_MARIO

@NEStalgia I’m not 100% but I think I did leave it on. The last time I remember it flashed was with the breath of the wild dlc 2.

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - I really wanted that extended life battery. By the time I realized it existed, it was long since sold out, and the second hand market was absurd. I played nearly all of BOTW tethered to a wall. Even with a full charge, that gamepad would make it about 30 minutes before the blinking red light of doom.

limby-bee was a jerk.

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee That's a really depressing thought, the WiiU was so unloved those batteries will be extinct. Then it becomes not only a tethered to the TV home console compared to hybrid switch, but the only console that still effectively uses a permanently wired controller

NEStalgia

Eel

Assuming the controller works at all without the battery...

Wasn't it made to require a battery installed or something?

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NintendoByNature

Ill be firing up the Wii u tonight for some skyward sword..

NintendoByNature

NEStalgia

@Morpheel Eww, I hadn't heard that. That would be dreadful....a guaranteed self-destroying console.

NEStalgia

Eel

I just tested it, and it indeed refuses to turn on without the battery pack installed. It just has an orange led that never stops blinking.

I guess there could be a way to fool it into thinking it has a battery.

This is all made better when you remember the gamepad is always constantly using up battery power, so even if you don't use it, it will likely run out on it's own, requiring you to charge it up again. Constantly. Battery friendly!

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - Yeah, I could only laugh about my “wireless” gamepad. I also couldn’t leave the main floor with it. If I went four steps up or down, disconnect. I have a weird layout at my place, but I still always found it absurd. I don’t want to come across as bitter about it as I really enjoyed the system, but there were frustrations. Switch cleared them all up in my opinion.

@Morpheel - Yeah, I don’t think the gamepad runs at all without a battery even if it’s plugged in, but I’ve never tried. For a brief period of time, Nintendo sold extended life batteries which could replace the stock battery, and hold a charge much, much longer. For the last year I played my launch model, my gamepad would only last 30-40 minutes on a full charge.

Edit - I’m slow at typing.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee My biggest frustration after getting he larger battery was mostly related to the s.l.o..w boot time, even with "quick start". And getting to any system menu was painful. That was just bizarre oversight.

That's really really depressing they can't run without batteries though. I hadn't realized WiiU's are ticking time bomb consoles. So much for "physical games preserve your copy forever" if the hardware itself will fail to run when a replaceable but no incentive to manufacture battery unit will keep the hardware from even being used in the future

NEStalgia

1UP_MARIO

@bimmy-lee they still sell the bigger battery here in the uk (Nintendo.co.uk). Shame they stop selling it over there as it does give you a better playing experience. It gives roughly 5 hours or more on the gamepad.

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - It was really frustrating. First thing I noticed with the Switch. Instant gaming, and I can just bounce from game to game in seconds. I always liked the Mii Plaza, and all the ambient music and noises on Wii and WiiU, but I’m happy to trade them in for snappy UI.

limby-bee was a jerk.

bimmy-lee

@1UP_MARIO - That’s interesting. I followed the NOA site for months hoping they’d re stock, but they never did, and eventually I gave up. Maybe they’re back, but I haven’t checked for years now. It really would make a huge difference. Five hours is multiple play sessions for me. Unless I fall asleep while playing. Which happens a lot.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee 3DS and Vita had spoiled me prior to Switch, but it is so nice having a "main" game system taht does that. (To be fair PS4 and X1 now do that as well. Usually. )

I think I imported my battery from Japan even at the time. NoA's website is disastrous. Not just a Nintendo thing, I've noticed a lot of things ,even things like European audio companies, their US shell corporation is just that. EG, one of the German headphone companies, sells pads, cables, etc for all the headphones they make on their German website, but won't ship to the US. Their equivalent website here has only a handful of such items. If you contact them they get back to you over 2 weeks later with a paper order form that you're supposed to fill out and email to them - with your credit card number on it !!!!

Why is it the US is pretty much equal to Guatemala in terms of international business support?

NEStalgia

1UP_MARIO

@bimmy-lee it really does make a difference. I doubt you’ll find it on the NOA site but give it a try as for the price too it’s a great purchase.

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - Ha, I had to bookmark the battery page on NOA’s site because it was almost impossible to find it from the main page. I should have imported. Were those VW or BMW headphones because it’s a similar deal trying to get parts for those vehicles around here. When I was in service and would call dealers about ordering even the simplest of OE parts, they were always weeks out. I just always assumed they were carnies and trying to steal my customers, except they were my customers precisely because they had previous dealings with the dealerships.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic