Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 28,741 to 28,760 of 96,537

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I know, but like I said before: I don't have the latest release. I'm using Firefox ESR 52.9.0, happily trucking along with all my add-ons still fully functional. The only annoying thing is when you go to the installed add-ons page/tab, a lot of them have this disclaimer added to them:

"<name of add-on> could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution."

Oh, well. It's not like I check my installed add-ons page every day, so I guess I'll have to learn to live with it...

@Tyranexx I usually try to free my schedule, either by clearing my schedule for these days/hours, or (when I was still working for an employer) by simply taking a couple of days off. But most of the time, the events/presentations are broadcasted during the late hours of the evening or night, over here, except for Nintendo's presentation and Treehouse sessions, so usually, that means only having to take care of being free the next morning, so I don't have to get up too early after having watched some presentation at 2 or 3am...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, the ESR definitely benefits, but of course once support for it ends you'll be caught up to the new stuff as the replacement ESR eventually, and join in the belated fun. Either that or you'll use a modded unofficial version of 52.9 forever, but then you're not using Firefox, you're using a different browser forked from an old build of Firefox, like Tor and Ghostery are.

Well, at least you don't have to clear time for Sony's show this year!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, you see, that's where running a PC on a custom version of Vista comes in handy: my support has already ended, and it still works, because this OS isn't getting any updates for the browser anymore, so unless they completely disable these older versions of ESR in some sneaky way, I'll be just fine.

And who cares about not using an official version of Firefox? Once they've gone all Google Analytics on us, even they themselves aren't the official Firefox anymore...

And other than having modded some options and using the ESR version, mine is and will stay very much an official version of Firefox.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@Morpheel Too bad you locked that "I LOVE THIS GAME!" thread. Now I'll never know which game it was...

HobbitGamer

They tagged Bird Game +

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@AlohaPizzaJack Is that like Flappy Bird, aka smart phone crap?

HobbitGamer

It’s like some minimalist version from what I gather. Not something that would prompt me to react that way, but whatever floats a boat, I guess. Just don’t put that boat in my lake.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@AlohaPizzaJack Yeah, I can definitely agree with that. They say that there's no accounting for taste, but if you ask me, we can definitely disregard that notion in specific cases...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX They won't disable the older versions but they won't support them with security and standards compliance updates, either, so you'll have to seek outside updates. Which may exist, but as I said, that means you're not actually using Firefox at that point, you're using a forked project browser.

But, yeah, agreed on the Google Analytics point At that point I'd probably actually go Red and get Opera. Better Red than grass-fed.

@AlohaPizzaJack Bird Game +, for when cheap, flash games are in need of inferior knockoffs.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I'd consider it more to be a legacy version. A fork is something that has at the very least gotten a different name, and a cosmetic overhaul, or different/added features. (edit: which is what puts it on a different path than the original program, hence also the label 'fork')

As for security support: don't need it. Like Nintendo, I've got my own, FAR above average measures in place, in case of a hostile takeover attempt. Then again: I doubt it'll ever come to that, seeing as the contents of my home PC really aren't all that interesting, so they'll probably go and look elsewhere for some real hidden treasures, and stacks of greens...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Browser security and standards compliance are a must though. Ever take an old browser and try to load a modern page? The CSS is a mess, the formatting is wrong, the HTML5 doesn't work at all. Your ESR version would be a mess in 5+ years once it's out of maintenance. Someone would need to fork it and maintain it with compliance. (Which is possible given how many people are disgruntled with Mozilla.)

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

Note to Self: Even seemingly innocent articles can have a dumpster fire for a comment section. Do people not think before they type? Good grief. Facepalm

@ThanosReXXX I'm on US Central Time, so unfortunately I can usually just catch the tail ends of some broadcasts. With some exceptions, I primarily just tend to follow stuff coming to Nintendo platforms though.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx oh yea, people have been coming out of the wood work firing on all cylinders lately. No one is safe 😕

NintendoByNature

HobbitGamer

Haha, for sure. And bimmy caught them. I’m all for dev engagement, but not when it’s “Nu-uh, you just don’t get it”. Very Molenuex-esque 😂

#MudStrongs

NintendoByNature

Haha gottttttem! Reminds me of the fox n Forest review on NL. The devs showed up in the comment section and were displeased with the score they got. Except, they at least made it clear they were the devs. Too bad I didn't agree with their opinion of the game. I felt like NL was being kind that day on the review. Oh well..

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature It really didn't used to be this bad. It's a double-edged sword that I think was introduced along with the Switch. Though I think some of it has to do with the internet becoming slightly more toxic in general.

Someone doesn't like X and compares it with Y, which is an apples to oranges comparison, someone else dislikes something with X AND Y and mentions Z, THEN they get dragged down further but the next user comparing all of those to A, B, and C.

@Morpheel I legit feel sorry for the mods and staff on articles like that. I only made it down about twenty comments and then lightly skimmed the rest. I had to stop before my face began sporting a permanent bruise.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx yep the internet is wild these days. It's a shame really . You'd think people discussing video games all day would be happy go lucky when in fact it's the exact opposite.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic