Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 21,681 to 21,700 of 96,538

HobbitGamer

Do it. One of us. One of us.
I’m currently playing Prime Trilogy on it, and playing Yoshi Story off screen sometimes

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Eel

My WiiU has been sitting in a bagpack for several months. Only coming out of it when my friends want to play smash.

And soon enough it won't even have that.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Yosheel A bagpack or a backpack?

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Vinny

Yosheel wrote:

My WiiU has been sitting in a bagpack for several months. Only coming out of it when my friends want to play smash.

And soon enough it won't even have that.

Isn't it kinda heavy?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Vinny

@Yosheel Yes, the Wii U needs some exercise too.

@ReaderRagfish The most interesting games in the console to me were 3D World, Pikmin 3, XCX, NSMBU and Smash 4, but none of theses were "wow I must get a wiiu immediately to play them!" kind of games.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

Eel

Haven't you ever used an old backpack to store things?

In the WiiUs case it's mostly there because when my friends want to play it's usually at someone else's house. So instead of plugging and unplugging it every time I started leaving it in the bag all the time.

It's not all that heavy.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Vinny

@Yosheel Ah, I get it now. I remember storing some magazines and comics in an old backpack when I had magazines.

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish I guess it comes down to the list of games that offer a unique experience on the Wii U alone, or games that will, for whatever reason, never come to any other console. If you could find, say 4 to 6 games in that list, then it's already worth it.

Heck, I've known multiple people that have bought consoles for only one title, but for me personally, it would at the very least have to be a handful of titles. And in the case of the Wii U, there's of course also the native backward compatibility with Wii games, so there might even be some gems from that console as well, that you skipped, which you would now be able to play with a better quality image than on the Wii itself, so there's that as well.

So, perhaps you need to browse through the Wii U's catalog, and make a little list of what titles might interest you, and then decide if the list that you ultimately come up with, is worth purchasing a Wii U for.

Here's the entire list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@Yosheel I store all of my "currently not in use" consoles in dedicated storage cases/bags, not in normal backpacks or any other kind of bag, because they might either be too roomy or too tight fitting, and both could cause damage or scuff marks/scratches.

For example, these are the carry cases I've got for my N64 and GameCube:
Untitled
Untitled
And the same goes for my handhelds: only sturdy official, or officially licensed cases.

There's official bags for the Wii and Wii U as well:
Untitled
Untitled

The advantage of these kinds of bags/carry cases over normal bags, is that they're always padded, and have separate compartments for the various parts of the console, for the controllers, and for the games.

So, at the very least, I would advise people to put some padding in a bag, if they move their console.
Even wrapping it in a towel first is better than just putting it in any old bag without any protection...

HobbitGamer

Yep, them consoles ain’t never gon get preggers long as ol Thanos his summin ya say bout it. Twernt no unlicensed prodics twixt them cables. Mmhm.
Why ol Jim up in tha holler yonder just slapped a plasty bag round his Wii to go show it down it tha corner. Hand ta tha book, nex thang ‘e knew all his bits n bobs just a shootin out!

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Eel

Welll I can’t say I care enough to get a dedicated bag. Or to find one.

As I say it’s technically still in service, I just don’t use it very often.

I do actually want to plug it back it now that switch is getting smash, since I doubt it will go out very often after that, and I really want to play BoTW again (without paying for the switch version...)

Bloop.

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish Well, don't know about you, but 10 would be more than enough for me.
And besides Monster Hunter and Xenoblade, there are some titles, even those that are also available on other consoles, that are either (still) unique to the Wii U, or simply offer a different experience on the Wii U:

Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Zombi U
Rayman Legends
Super Mario Maker
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition
Star Fox Zero
Star Fox Guard
Need for Speed Most Wanted U
LEGO City Underground
Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director's Cut
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
Splatoon
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
The Wonderful 101
Scribblenauts Unlimited
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Steamworld Dig
Yoshi's Woolly World
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Minecraft Wii U

And yes, even The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Because this is a game, that was actually made from the ground up, with the Wii U in mind, the difference between the Wii U and the Switch version isn't that big, and you could even say that this is part of the reason that the game doesn't stretch the Switch to its limits.

So, all in all, quite a few games either unique or still worth getting for the different experience that the Wii U offers. I do hope that this deal you were talking about, is for the black model, because that just looks better, but the bigger storage is of course also welcome, and a black console doesn't get (visibly) dirty as quickly as a white one or light-colored one does...

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Yeah, you go ahead and make fun of it. I'll be laughing all the way to the bank in a couple of decades, because I will still be able to boot up my near mint condition consoles, whereas other people will need to either get theirs fixed, polished, or will desperately try to find a second hand model online, in hopes they won't have to pay five times the amount that they ever paid for a new one...

@Yosheel Tssss.... taking care of one's console should be law no. 1 in the gamer's bible...
All kidding aside: to each their own of course. Personally, I just want to take good care of my things, and not just my consoles, so that they can at the very least last me a decent couple of decades, or perhaps even a lifetime, and just stuffing them into any kind of bag, cables and controllers and all that stashed in there with them, just sounds like some kind of horror story to me.

And if there isn't any budget or mindset to get a dedicated carry case, then there's always that towel wrap, that I also mentioned. Quick, easy and cheap as well...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Tyranexx

I typically wait until there are at least three retail games that I want before jumping on a system, and even then I'll bide my time a little. I had just moved into my own place a few months prior to getting my Wii U and was still trying to get a few things situated (like buy my own TV and do some minor remodeling before moving in). There were definitely enough games by mid-2015 for me to jump on: I could finally play Arkham City on a Nintendo system (huge Batman fan here), finally had a system where I could play Wind Waker, and also hosted the latest Mario (SM3DW). Throw in backwards compatibility since the old Wii stayed at my parents' house, and it all made total sense!

I'm still biding my time a bit before grabbing a Switch. It definitely has enough games at this point to make it worthwhile, but I'm between two major home improvement purchases and feel like I should mow through most of my Wii U backlog first. ... It'll probably around the holidays at the rate I'm going.

If only I could quit picking up VC games....

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

SuperLuigi111

ReaderRagfish wrote:

I was on the fence about getting a Wii U throughout its entire life, but I never actually ended up getting one. I'm considering getting one now that they're cheaper, but I don't know. I'm still on the fence.

I know people are gonna be all "Woah, you need a Wii U, it's a great system!" and I'm sure it is, but if I bought everything that people recommended, I'd have way too much stuff.

I feel that I'm pretty unbiased in that I avoided getting one through it's lifespan and just now got one. I have Nintendoland, Super Mario Maker, Smash Bros, Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost World, and Super Mario Bros U. I can honestly say that it's not worth getting. The gamepad is not comfortable to play with, you will have to shell out for a pro controller, and not all games support it. Most titles are just disappointing, there are very few must-have top notch games for the console. And the game library is dismal. Unless you can find one that comes with some games and everything you'll need for like $150, I wouldn't bother. I'm currently regretting my purchase and keep having to justify it by buying more games that so far haven't been anything to write home about.

SuperLuigi111

Eel

Heh, I dusted off the WiiU and connected it.

Of ALL the things that could break in the backpack... The hard drive case's mini USB port decided it was a great time to completely disassemble. I probably stuffed it in the bag with the cable connected.

Welp I ordered a new one, let's hope it works fine with the U. For the mean time, I managed to find a 4GB USB drive that should be more than enough to hold BoTW's update and dlc data.

(I already had Metroid Prime, Wind Waker and Smash installed in the internal memory, it's pretty much full)

Edit: darn. Not it wasn't. Ugh, Metroid Prime there you go.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Fooligan

I had moved my Wii U into my room when I got my Switch. I thought it would be great for VC on the gamepad, and it was... maybe too great. I stayed up way too late playing VC games and games that could be played with only the gamepad. I've since moved it back under the TV alongside the Switch and PS4. It has actually seen more use than the Switch this month, but not more than the PS4.

These pretzels are making me thirsty

"See, my damie, Pootie Tang don't wa-da-tah to the shama cow... 'cause thats a cama cama leepa-chaiii, dig?" - Pootie Tang

Alantor28

@DannyBoi Dude, when will you stop talking about how bad the Switch's Online Service will be? It's getting old and annoying already. > : (

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic