Forums

Topic: Other Unpopular Opinions (non-gaming tech/media)

Posts 201 to 220 of 351

AlliMeadow

I find it really strange and kind of annoying when people say "It is x% likely to happen". Unless you have calculated the likelihood of something to happen, you shouldn't be throwing percentages around like they're based on data and facts. I can understand that people say "I'm x% sure it will happen", but the former instance is just annoying and usually false.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

RR529

I dislike like it when people make lists, and start at number one, and count down from there (this is something I really only see on forums, most recently the thread about your favorite Mario Kart games here on this site).

A big part of the appeal/excitement of lists is that anticipation of what is going to make the top spot, which is why most lists you see in publications, TV, YouTube, etc. start at 20/10/whatever, and work their way up to #1.

Whenever someone starts a top 10/"Your Favorite" list on the forums and everyone starts out at #1 and works their way down, it just takes all the excitement out of it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Whydoievenbother

Pixels (the Adam Sandler movie) is the worst movie ever made (a lot of people say this was bad, but not not so bad that it's a stain on the history of mankind). The humor breaks down into 2 categories: 1. References to old video games treated as jokes and 2. stupid things the characters said played up as if it isn't bad writing. The characters aren't memorable or distinct in the slightest. The only character who plays his role well is Peter Dinklage, but his character is incredibly annoying (It's a shame too, because with the right role and the right dialogue, he could be a really good choice for a comedy). The story plays out in the most safe, boring and predictable way imaginable. It's casually sexist and hugely bro-centric. The pacing is terrible: the movie is about 100 minutes long and yet the movie feels like it takes an eternity to watch.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how hypocritical this movie is.
The movie constantly breaks logical consistency. For instance, (Spoilers):
1. The son of Ms. Van Patton (from what I remember,Ms. Van Patton (Michelle Monaghan's character) never gets a first name in the whole film) is established as being unfamiliar with classic games, yet later in the film, he finds the Pac-Man cheat code for super speed on Eddie's (Peter Dinklage's character) glasses and recognizes the code. How? He's been established as being unfamiliar with classic games! (P.S. How Did Eddie input a cheat code?????)

2. Like I said before, Eddie was caught cheating during the Pac-Man scene, and because of that, the aliens unleash all of the characters to raid the city, and Eddie has to learn that cheating is wrong. Later on, for the final battle, Adam Ihateeveryonewhichiswhyimakethiscrap Sandler has to play through Donkey Kong, and I'll give you a moment to guess how they win that.

Guessed yet? Good, because they win the battle against Donkey Kong.......... by cheating.

REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?!? WHY??? WHY DID YOU THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA ADAM SANDLER??? YOU ESTABLISHED THAT CHEATING IS BAD!!!

*sighs * but I digress.

3. In one scene, the laser guns used to stop the pixel monsters are demonstrated to Sam Brenner (Adam Sandler's character) and Ludlow Lamonsoff (Josh Gad's character). Two scenes later, a general asks if the guns work, to which Ms. Van Patton says that they haven't tested them yet, but they work in theory. Except the guns were tested two scenes ago. What happened to that?

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

LaserdiscGal

@MrMario02

Someone hasn't seen Jack and Jill...

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

Dave24

Santa wrote:

@MrMario02

Someone hasn't seen Jack and Jill...

Or Transformers 4. Still can't decide what hurt me more.

Dave24

Whydoievenbother

@Dave24 I would actually argue that Trans4mers isn't the worst movie in the reboot of the Transformers.

Also, why aren't more people calling it Trans4mers?

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Dave24

@MrMario02: because nobody wants to hurt someone's feelings, like Mers going to be trans or having trans, whatever that could mean.

Dave24

Ralizah

I was disappointed by Star Wars: The Force Awakens. While it certainly succeeds on the level of pure spectacle, the film is otherwise a bit of a mess.

Things I wasn't a huge fan of:

• It's essentially a re-skinned version of A New Hope. Almost every plot point in that film is repeated here in some way, only without the novelty or charm.
  • The characters, while not as bad as the ones in most of the prequel trilogy films, are still miles below the standard set by the original trilogy. Outside of the awesome cameos from the original trilogy, almost every character introduced in this film is either forgettable or entirely unlikable. The protagonist, in particular, is an unpleasant Mary Sue who magically becomes good at doing certain things because that is demanded by the plot. The film tries too hard to make the primary antagonist come off as intimidating and hardcore from the very beginning, but then it gets even worse when he takes off his helmet and reveals himself to be an angsty teenager in a thirty-year-old man's body.
  • The dialogue, likewise, while not necessarily bad, is certainly not great, either. I really doubt anybody will be quoting lines from this purely serviceable script in the future.

With that said, it's not a terrible film. I certainly won't go out of my way to rewatch it in the future, but I also won't groan or complain when someone suggests watching it along with the other Star Wars films (as I am known to do with episodes 1 and 2 in particular). It feels more like fanfiction than a legitimate continuation of the saga, and is seemingly terrified of deviating from the exact formula used in Episode 4.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

jump

I have more respect for My Chemical Romance as a rock n roll band than Guns n Roses.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Socar

Youtube has spoiled the trill of experiencing and marketing games. Whatever happened to the magazines that we always read to reveal news? Nope. Instead we have to stick to youtube footages to get excited on the game.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

jump

Youtube didn't start to kill magazines off the internet did and note the the topic of the thread is non-gaming tech/media.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Socar

@arronishere: Youtube is non-gaming tech media. You're using such media that isn't meant to display copyright videos. Its Youtube meaning You on TV.

Speaking of which, why on earth would people watch other people playing a game or showing footage of one? Really, wouldn't you rather play it yourself?

Socar

@arronishere: touche.....

• Disney is the most evil person out there being dumb to own all the copyrights of the original stories.
  • Edison<Tesla. If it weren't for Edison, Tesla could have easily done what Edi did. In fact, we could have gotten free electricity if Edi here didn't throw cats on the electric wires.
  • Governments have no idea what to do....they just make laws and can't figure out why many of them are stupid.

Ralizah

Socar wrote:

• Disney is the most evil person out there being dumb to own all the copyrights of the original stories.

...what?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

LaserdiscGal

Ralizah wrote:

Socar wrote:

...what?

Untitled

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

NintendoFan64

Santa wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Socar wrote:

...what?

Untitled

It's just @Socar being...@Socar.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

jump

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Santa wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Socar wrote:

...what?

Untitled

Well as long he's not being Artwark.

Nicolai wrote:

NintendoFan64

arronishere wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Santa wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Socar wrote:

...what?

Untitled

Well as long he's not being Artwark.

This might sound crazy, but I think I actually preferred him then...

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Socar

That's what my bro said....that Disney owns the original works of the stories that no one else can use.

If I'm mistaken, then sorry, my bad.

LaserdiscGal

@Socar you're right about Disney doing awful things with public domain copyrights, but as for public domain stories like the OG Princesses (along with other old fairy tales) other people can make their own interpretations of the original stories. What Disney has done wrong is lobby for the change of public domain law to extend it so that their characters like the Mouse can't be used by the general public.

So I'm not sure if you heard it wrong from him, or he was just ill informed and told you the misinformation.

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

LaserdiscGal

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.