Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Book Club

Posts 101 to 120 of 583

Ryu_Niiyama

Time to re-read Ki in Daily Life By Koichi Tohei. Also just picked up a copy of Aristotle's collected works (I'll start that this weekend I think...I've read a great deal of his works but I wanted it in one volume). Reading the Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand. Trying to get back to reading for pleasure on the regular instead of studying until my eyes bleed.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

RR529

Finished up Rising Sun yesterday.

It was my first crack at a crime thriller, and I really enjoyed it. The heavy focus on the feelings of the business relationship between the US & Japan at the time certainly made it more interesting as well, IMO.

Are there any other fiction novels (either Western or Japanese in origin) where Japan (or Japanese culture in general) is prominent that I should be looking out for? I know one of the Tom Clancy novels focuses on a new war between Japan & the US, and I'm going to be on the lookout for that, but can't think of anything else.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Captain-N

@shaneoh: I absolutely hate how the main KoTOR characters' eventual fates were written. I haven't read Revan, but from other sources, I kinda have a basic idea of how things go. Just opinion, but Disney could have made some dough, if they made a series of movies, or even a mini-series on streaming services, focused on that era, the "Old Republic". By the way, KoTOR2 is awesome by itself, & totally better with the right mods, specifically the Restored Content mod. The mod also made it to the Steam version of the game.

Captain-N

shaneoh

@Capt_N
Yeah it doesn't go well for them. I'd love a trilogy of movies that covered the original KotOR, I can't get enough of Revan (I even spent a couple of hundred on LEGO SW sets so I would get an official Revan Minifig). The KotOR comics are worth reading too, if you can get your hands on them. The only issue I had with the restored content mod of KotOR2 was the droid planet, there were quite a few bugs and it was quite a dull place. Both games were great though.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Captain-N

@shaneoh: I had no idea there was a Revan minifig. That's awesome! As for the droid planet, mine was buggy, too. I did play a large chunk of the planet, but bugs ultimately prevented my progress. At that point, I just used the warpbelt mod to open doors. Last I knew, the mod team is still working on the entire thing. I knew there were comics about the Old Republic, but I was unaware there were ones specific to KoTOR. Thanks for making me aware of those things! Edit: I, too, thought the droid planet was desolate.

Edited on by Captain-N

Captain-N

Krull

@RR529 Well, there are lots of Japanese authors translated into English! I particularly like both Murakamis (Haruki and Ryu), though they are very different. For western writers, there are James Clavell's historical romps, Shogun and Gaijin, which are both highly entertaining. For something a bit more highbrow there's Ruth Ozeki's A Tale for a Time Being. A personal favourite is David Mitchell's Number 9 Dream - though really it's a Haruki Murakami pastiche.

Edited on by Krull

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

shaneoh

@Capt_N
Glad it wasn't just me who had issues with the droid planet. The KotOR comics take place during the mandalorian wars, there are plenty of cameos from characters from the games, (Revan, Malak, Atris, Carth and Saul come to mind). Have a snippet:
Untitled

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Captain-N

@shaneoh: Thanks! That image alone is kinda desktop wallpaper worthy.

Captain-N

Late

I just finished reading Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" (the book goes by many names but that's the name mine has). I stumbled upon it quite some time ago when I was researching for other media similar to Zero Escape series but I didn't buy it until recently. I haven't read many books in my life but this one is now my favorite. It is a murder mystery where ten people die one by one on an island. If you like Zero Escape or murder mysteries in general, I highly recommend picking it up. It's also quite short, you can read it in few hours. I'd say anyone can finish it easily.

I also read John Verdon's "Think of a Number" before I started Christie's book. I found a collection of the first 3 books from him for 5€ when I was buying groceries and thought: "Why not, it's cheap and I can start reading them while I wait for my order to arrive". (I had just ordered Christie's book a day before.) It's also a murder mystery but the way it's written differs quite a lot from the previously mentioned book. This one is more slow paced and focuses on retired homicide detective Dave Gurney who is the main character in all his books. This is the first book so it's a good place to start. The book is twice as long as "And Then There Were None" but I never got tired of reading it. The characters are top-notch and the mystery is fascinating. The premise is that there's this person who contacts one of Gurney's old friends, Mark Mellery, and threatens him to send him money or else he'll tell everyone about his past mistakes. Later the person contacts him again and wants Mark to think of a number. He thinks of number 658 and the other person tells him the exact same number. Mark Mellery becomes paranoid about the whole situation and wants Gurney to solve who this person is and how does he know him so well that he can tell which number he's thinking of.

In addition to those, I've been reading The Art of Fire Emblem: Awakening. Or browsed through the pages since it's mostly art... until you get to the last 1/3 of the book which consists of all the support conversations. 100 pages of text printed in very small font.

I also bought The Legend of Zelda: Art & Artifacts. That's waiting until I'm done with Fire Emblem book.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Barbiegurl777

I've been reading the Dr. Slump comic / manga book series by Akira Toriyama & love it! 😘

@Late,

Agatha Christie is good. I read & then there were none by agatha christie years ago for my senior year in high school english class lol. That's actually what got me reading Agatha Christie!! 😅

Happy Reading! 😊

The Beatitudes: Matthew 5:1-12

Switch Friend Code: SW-4995-4179-4294 | Nintendo Network ID: Barbiegurl777

Eel

I finally finished the Jurassic Park 2, it included way too much babble between the characters, but it was ultimately fun to read.

I'm halfway through Alien right now.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Ryu_Niiyama

Studying as usual but just picked up Iwata-san. I read Japanese slowly so it’s gonna take me a few months to get through it but looking forward to it all the same.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Eel

Funny that you would revive this thread today, I bought a copy of Coraline a few hours ago.

I like the movie so I figure the book should be fun too.

Edit: yes I did finish reading Alien.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Ryu_Niiyama

@Eel I just got a third of my books out of storage so I should be in here more. Trying to game less and read more like i used too. Only issue is it is starting to look like Yomiko Readman’s apartment in here.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Static_Fanatic

Has anyone here read, "No Longer Human" by Osamu Dazai or "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," by Ken Kesey?

Voted Static City's No. 1 Consumer of Media

Tyranexx

Eel wrote:

Funny that you would revive this thread today, I bought a copy of Coraline a few hours ago.

I like the movie so I figure the book should be fun too.

I need to pick up Coraline (the book) at some point. I absolutely love the movie. Stop-motion is a wonderful art form.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Krull

@Static_Fanatic I’ve read One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Marvellous book. Any particular reason for asking?

Static_Fanatic

@Krull It's my favorite book and I was wondering if anyone else felt kind of bad for Nurse Ratched. Like yes, she was a bad person, but she did try to keep the patients safe.

Edited on by Static_Fanatic

Voted Static City's No. 1 Consumer of Media

Krull

@Static_Fanatic Interesting. It honestly never even occurred to me to feel sorry for Nurse Ratched! Always felt she represented The Man, in that Sixties counter-culture sense, deciding what’s best for you without asking or caring whether that is what you want or even what you need. TBH, I should probably read it again. It’s been a long, long time, and I’m sure I’d have a different or more nuanced take on it today.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic