Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,101 to 12,120 of 13,108

Maxz

@RR529 Interesting, I didn't know there was a live action FMA film. I'm a bit cautious about live action adaptions, but I might give it a watch.

I'm currently rewatching Brotherhood, which I dipped into it again after my girlfriend made me watch Attack in Titan. I thought it was a bit pants, so I restarted FMA to see if it was just AoT I didn't like, or whether I'd completely gone cold on Shounen anime in the last few years.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying Brotherhood, so it seems I simply don't like Attack on Titan very much. Both shows have got their shocking moments, but I feel that FMA uses them to ask interesting (if uncomfortable) questions, whereas AoT just uses them reinstate the point that rampaging flesh-eating giants are... a bad thing. Which was never really in question to begin with. In the 15 episodes I've watched, that seems to be the only real point it's established: monsterous giants are bad.

I also watched Your Name for the first time, and I liked it. @Ralizah did his own synopsis a few weeks back, which I remember finding interesting, so I'll give it another read again now that I've actually watched it. I won't post anything nearly as detailed, but I think it's fair to say I enjoyed it, and felt Shinkai left his question marks in much more satisfying places than some of his previous films. Looked gorgeous too. Really wish I'd been able to watch it in a cinema. There's just so much detail and depth to the scenes.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

LzWinky

Movies that don't really make sense are usually the best ones though

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Joeynator3000

So...yeah, last night I finished the first season of....erm...Sailor Moon.
Yeah, I like the anime now, get over it. TwT
I'll get around to R later, lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

kkslider5552000

I started watching Robotics;Notes, which I've been planning to watch basically since it came out. I'm not gonna assume it's gonna be as good as Steins;Gate but I'm interested in where it's going to go nonetheless.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

kkslider5552000

I'm just here to remind people to watch Little Witch Academia, because it is the best.

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'm just here to remind people to watch Little Witch Academia, because it is the best.

...Yeah, I needed that reminder. I haven't booted up Netflix in quite some time, so I keep forgetting about it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

Actually watched a few episodes of LWA last night. It's... okay. Most of the stuff I like about it is stuff I like about every Studio Trigger anime. The dumb protagonist reminds me of the main characters in almost every shounen anime I've seen in the last decade.

But, you know, it's wholesome and cute. That's probably enough.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JoyBoy

CanisWolfred wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

...Yeah, I needed that reminder. I haven't booted up Netflix in quite some time, so I keep forgetting about it.

I wanted to love it. On a personal level, and even though it’s considered cliche, I found that the intro was perfect. I loved everything about it. Till... he went to the actual academy and things went down rapidly for me. Just everything from characters, pacing and quality overall. I was really offended and gave one more episode a go, but it didn’t convince me to continue watching.

Did I watch filler or something? I’m curious if other people felt the same. I’m also open to continue watching if things get better, because I really liked it.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Ralizah

What's everyone watching this season? Lots of interesting shows lately.

For me:

• Cutie Honey Universe
  • Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory
  • Steins;Gate 0
  • Persona 5: The Animation
  • Magical Girl Site (SO edgy)
  • Magical Girl Ore

CanisWolfred

@Ralizah

All the oldies-made-newies. I even watched a ton of trailers last night to be sure, but no, all I currently am interested in this season are all based on old classics, save for My Hero Academia S3, since that's just a modern classic.

• Cutie Honey Universe
  • Lupid the Third -Part V-
  • Fist of the Blue Sky ReGenesis
  • GeGeGe no Kitaro
  • Full Metal Panic! Invincible Victory (I see what you did there...Part I.V.)
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These
  • MEGALOBOX (And I'm not even a boxing fan. It just looks that cool)

Sadly, Cutie Honey is looking like it'll be exclusive to Sentai's paid site that looks just as bad as The Anime Network, so...that's at the bottom of my priority list at the moment. I haven't even been able to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes legally through that POS...I'll probably have to resort to fansubs again...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

@Tsurii As in the reviewers are saying incredibly stupid things in an attempt to be funny, ie user reviews/blog reviewers thirsty for hits? Or did a bunch of people jump on it to say it's disappointing? I haven't seen it yet (Knew it'd go on for more than 1 season, so I decided I'd hold off so I could binge it in one go), so I'm hoping for the former than the latter...not that it ever matters to me. I rarely pay attention to anime reviews, or really any critique of non-interactive mediums, since there's so much that hinges on personal experience and expectations going in that I the reviews themselves are counter-intuitive to why I read reviews in the first place: To know whether or not a piece of media will be worth my time.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

@Ralizah, I haven't kept up with the whatever the current season is in quite awhile, so I have no idea what's currently going on in the world of anime, lol.

I just usually wait until something interesting pops up for streaming on Netflix, or for purchase on the digital storefronts (like Amazon Video or Google Play). Of course, there are some disadvantages (I don't think Sentai or Aniplex release anything on the digital storefronts... for whatever reason), but there are advantages as well (I know I won't have to deal with the broadcast censorship that's still present in the Crunchyroll streams, as they simulcast the TV versions).

The last thing I watched was A.I.C.O. Incarnation on Netflix, which was decent, even if a bit short.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

Spanjard wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I wanted to love it. On a personal level, and even though it’s considered cliche, I found that the intro was perfect. I loved everything about it. Till... he went to the actual academy and things went down rapidly for me. Just everything from characters, pacing and quality overall. I was really offended and gave one more episode a go, but it didn’t convince me to continue watching.

Did I watch filler or something? I’m curious if other people felt the same. I’m also open to continue watching if things get better, because I really liked it.

No, you're just flatly wrong.

also you're complaining about pacing of a Trigger show but have a One Piece avatar. Dude, cmon.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Ralizah

Watched Otomo Katsuhiro's Memories tonight. I've owned the DVD for years, but have just now got around to it. While not all of the three films were equally compelling (the first one, "Magnetic Rose," is significantly better than the other two), it was a pretty wonderful experience all around. The animation is some of the best I've ever seen: almost completely hand-drawn 90's animation, and given the film's apparently large animation budget, everything is super-detailed and beautiful to look at.

@Tsurii I really need to watch Darling in the FranXX. The premise seems like it could make for a supremely stupid or weirdly insightful show. Maybe it's like Kill la Kill and is kind of a mixture of both.

@CanisWolfred Speaking of oldies-made-newbies, I really need to get around to watching all of the original run of Cardcaptor Sakura so that I can move on to Clear Card. I absolutely loved what I saw of it, but I had to stop halfway through for financial reasons (and wasn't about to watch the bastardized dub). It's too bad all of my VHS anime got lost along the way, as I'd be super nostalgic watching the subbed VHS tapes again.

It's crazy we're getting straight-up sequels to pretty ancient anime at this point (FMP and CCS). Not to mention another, more classic looking iteration of Cutie Honey!

Edited on by Ralizah

Krull

I've been working my way through Trigun on Netflix recently. Just a couple of episodes to go. I was a bit put off by the art style to begin with, but it's turned out to be a terrific series.

Netflix is upping its game, isn't it? One Punch Man has recently landed too, so that'll be on my list.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

kkslider5552000

So between the new FLCL and finally airing MHA, Toonami is finally picking up again. Thank god, I've been so worried about them for like a year. They've been hurting in a post-streaming world for a while, and even most of the good series they've been getting have honestly been like...a 7/10.

GameOtaku

Picked up the Dragonhalf Omnibus Collection 1 over the weekend and it's an amazing read really hilarious. Makes me want to watch the 2 episode series of Dragonhalf just to see the zaniness in motion.

GameOtaku

CanisWolfred

@GameOtaku I remember that one...it was really weird...also unfinished.

Also, I recall one of the members here bringing up Gigguk's youtube channel, and I finally watched some stuff there a few eeks ago. TL;DR His stuff can be both funny and insiteful so long as he's talking about more general anime topics instead of focusing on one particular series. But really, I'm only mentioning that because his most recent video about anime that inspired him (along with his life cycle of an anime fan video) served to remind me how...out of touch I am with a lot of modern anime fandom. I fell off the seasonal wagon a while ago - I know I bring it up every season, but only because I like the discussion as a topic. I'll admit that I never actually keep up with anything week-to-week. I just don't handle schedules well, period. That'll never be my thing.

Even outside of that, though, I'm also reminded that I laser-focused my viewing habits, to the point where a lot of stuff just gets outright ignored. I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, but it's part of why I don't even really talk about anime that much anymore. In that video, while it was neat to hear about his experience watching a show that connected with him...a lot of it ultimately fell flat for me, because the show in question just looked utterly boring to me, and I really couldn't focus on it. I can't stand contemporary settings in fiction, so when I encounter scenes that look like they were pulled straight out of a Royal Carribean Cruises commercial, I just started tuning it out, I had to switch tabs to keep focused on what he was saying. Mind you, I don't ever think that I'll ever get to the point where I do care about contemporary fiction, nor do I feel that should be necessary, but I never thought it would get to the point where I couldn't even relate to someone else who is sharing what I otherwise felt was a well-thought out and constructive narrative about how it made them feel...that's a bit worrying for me...

I dunno what to do about it, though. I guess I don't really watch anime-related opinion videos very often anyways, but I was also reminded that I did have a lot of fun talking about anime, and would like to do more of that. That might prove more difficult than I anticipated, though, if this recent experience is anything to go by.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

HeavenlyHalberd

Has anyone here read Ubel Blatt? I need something to fill the Berserk void in my life. How good is the world-building and characters?

College student, geek, boxer/runner, One Piece fanatic, wannabe activist, cat dad, actual EVA pilot

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic