Forums

Topic: Protect Yourself From Counterfeit/Bootleg DS Games!

Posts 1 to 14 of 14

joshforester

Recently I was foolish enough to buy Pokemon Black Version from China to save about $15 opposed to buying it in the states. But I became a victim of piracy, and I want to post my findings and tell-tale signs if you have been scammed. Yes and I realized kind of sketchy buying a game that is "Made in Japan" from China. But hey it never hurts to just see these failures at coping games.

The DS Cart (Cartridge)
Untitled
Notice the white around the Pokemon logo, and that the ESRB rating does not have a white outline. You can also tell because the font of the text "The Pokemon Company" is the incorrect font. And just the overall quality of the label is poor. And the huge giveaway is the game id on the bottom that is supposed to be TWL-IRBO-USA. NOT NTR-IRBE.
Here's a picture taken by Moby Games of the Genuine Cartridge:
Untitled

The Back of the Cart:
Untitled
Notice the 'O' in Nintendo, it's the wrong shape.

The Giveaway if you actually open the cartridge:
Untitled
Untitled

Game Case:
Wrong ESRB Details & spacing on the web address.
Untitled
Real ESRB Label:
Untitled
Quality of art & spelling of Pokemon:
Untitled
Real Art:
Untitled
Manual Warning (Spelling):
Untitled
Real Important Message:
Untitled

More coming soon

Edited on by joshforester

joshforester

TOMBOY25

sorry you lost your money but all of this is common knowledge......im amazed you fell for it.

TOMBOY25

3DS Friend Code: 0275-8827-8761 | Nintendo Network ID: TOMBOY25

Hokori

I accidentally picked up a pirate version of super princess peach this summer, but I got it at a retailer and when I noticed all I did was bring it back and said "it doesn't work" and got a full refund

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

joshforester

TOMBOY25 wrote:

sorry you lost your money but all of this is common knowledge......im amazed you fell for it.

Lol I know, I was fooled by the good feedback and price. Sadly I realized this one day after I bought the game. faceplam

joshforester

JunkosBoobies

I accidentally picked up a pirated copy of NSMB ds in 2008,and went back to gamestop and said 'it dosen't work' and switched it out for a new copy
I learned my lesson the hard way

Edited on by JunkosBoobies

Discord: JunkosBoobies#5379
Backloggery
MAL
DeviantArt
Avatar: Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa)

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing | Twitter:

rayword45

$20? Who the hell makes these bootleg carts? There's not much profit unless you sell this in mass amounts, which is unlikely (I mean, you either support the devs or you don't, but if you don't, there are cheaper alternatives)

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/809232

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

joshforester

rayword45 wrote:

$20? Who the hell makes these bootleg carts? There's not much profit unless you sell this in mass amounts, which is unlikely (I mean, you either support the devs or you don't, but if you don't, there are cheaper alternatives)

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/809232

It cost me $16.99 'new' with free shipping. It's like shipping is probably $1, the plastic case $.50, the sticker, $.25 the MicroSD $1-$2, PCB $.50, Cover Art $.50, shrink wrap $.15. So maybe $5-6 to make?

Edited on by joshforester

joshforester

rayword45

The market isn't exactly high (I'm sure around 99.99% of people with a DS choose either to buy legit games, or use a flashcart) and even with the potential customers you'd have to face some competition since there are several bootleggers. Combine that with the effort involved, and the $5-6 you listed in profits, and I'm not sure producing these is worth it.

Then again, I'm completely ignoring Chinese sweatshop wages so my opinion is highly uninformed.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

joshforester

rayword45 wrote:

The market isn't exactly high (I'm sure around 99.99% of people with a DS choose either to buy legit games, or use a flashcart) and even with the potential customers you'd have to face some competition since there are several bootleggers. Combine that with the effort involved, and the $5-6 you listed in profits, and I'm not sure producing these is worth it.

Then again, I'm completely ignoring Chinese sweatshop wages so my opinion is highly uninformed.

Agreed

joshforester

joshforester

the_shpydar wrote:

An easier rule to follow — never buy any game carts from China. Ever.

Haha oh I know now.

joshforester

joshforester

Got a refund! yay x) Free game case xD

joshforester

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.