Forums

Topic: Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow

Posts 501 to 520 of 539

TheSTW

@DarthNocturnal: Thank you so much!!! i changed the region to US and there they are all this games! i'll try buy Yellow and see if it worked!, thank you again for the answer!!

TheSTW

Rensch

@Meowpheel: That was basically it. I was afraid to get totally wrecked by some strong Fighting-type move once Bruno brought his Machamp into the fight, but he used Strength, a move moderately effective against most Pokémon.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

TheSTW

@DarthNocturnal: alright, i tried with my international credit card eshop couldn't accept it, dunno why, but buying a prepaid card on the internet worked like a charm~ now im playing some mario 3d land and when i get the money, ill play some pokemon yellow or Link between worlds.
Thanks again for the help!!!

TheSTW

Maxz

Any tips for HM Slaves?

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Sisilly_G

Maxz wrote:

Any tips for HM Slaves?

I used Farfetch'd or Paras for Cut early on in the game (and Farfetch'd for Fly as well if I don't have a main Pokémon capable of learning it). I ordinarily only have 3 or 4 Pokémon that I am regularly training at that point in the game anyway, so it isn't hindering my ability to nurture all of my Pokémon equally. I think I've used Abra in all three versions for Flash (and it's only needed for Rock Tunnel, and you'll never use Flash again, so it's not worth wasting on one of your mains). Surf and Fly, being a useful moves as is, should be taught to one of your main Pokémon anyway. Strength isn't too bad, as long as you are willing to sacrifice a paralysing or flinching Normal-type move such as Body Slam or Headbutt if only for the convenience of not having to regularly switch out one of your regulars for an HM Slave. Unfortunately, there aren't many "Bibarel" tier "jack-of-all-trades" types in Gen I (excluding Mew). Nidoking, Nidoqueen and Slowbro are also good options if you would like to main a Pokémon with Surf/Strength, who also happen to have a fairly varied moveset. Clefable and Wigglytuff are also really useful if you're after type coverage.

The available moves in Gen I are so miniscule anyway, that I don't really mind having one of my main Pokemon learn Strength. I will never teach one of my main Pokémon Cut though.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

KingMike

I'd say don't even bother with Flash in gen 1. It's nearly useless as an HM moves. You can already see the walls and stairs as that's all you need. (they should've put in trap floors if they really wanted to force you to use Flash.)
(Compared to other gens: in gen 2 though it's almost impossible to progress without Flash, as it makes the screen completely black. In gen 3-5 it's possible but mildly annoying to navigate. In XY it was changed to give a zoom-out effect. In ORAS it was changed back to its normal effect, but I think it might've darkened the rest of the screen instead of completely blanking it.)
As an odd result of the TM/HM system, Gen IV is the only gen where Flash is not infinitely re-teachable.

KingMike

Eel

Oh quite convenient that you revived this thread.

I gave up on waiting for my friend to trade with me, so I ended up buying Red on my 2DS.

In this one I'll try to use Pokemon I don't normally use, for starters, bulbasaur.

About Flash, it would be useful if at least there were items to find in the cave, but besides the trainers, it's completely empty. Talk about a wasted opportunity.

Even in gen II, it's not needed for progression since any dark caves are completely optional.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Maxz

@DarthNocturnal: I imagine pushing through the whole game with just/mainly Bulbasaur and its evos is difficult, but surely it makes beating Brock, Misty, and the swathes of Hikers in the early game pretty easy? At which point you'll likely have caught a Psychic type, or something with a Psychic move, that can be used as your go-to Rocket buster. The early Bugcatchers might take a little more work than with Charmander, but they rarely pose a huge threat anyway; it's just a case of Tackling a lot of Weedle and Caterpie.

I just caught my first grass-type in the form of Bellsprout, as it's been a revalation. Largely because Sleep Powder is OP, and Growth boosts Sp. Atk and Sp. Def (or really just "Special"), so it's very easy to 'set up' and sweep (with decent defensive stats to boot). Sadly its moveset doesn't include any very strong Grass or Poison moves, but I'm hoping to get Mega Drain and Acid on it eventually, as well as evolve it into Victreebell. Mega Drain should increase the time between Pokemon Center trips (although I can't remember how good the PP is).

I'd quite like a Psychic type too, as my 'Butterfree with Confusion option' is starting to look a little feeble, despite being relatively high level. I've caught Abra, but given I have nobody to trade to, it's long term prospects don't look perfect (i.e. no Alakazam). I really like Slowpoke/Bro, so I'm thinking about getting one of them as a main and Surf user. But I'm not sure how easy they are to get at the moment... Off to
Bulbapedia I go!

Edited on by Maxz

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

KingMike

@Maxz Zubat is pretty good against those early Poison types in RBY. Bug is SE on Poison is gen 1.
At least because Bulbasaur is a Poison dual-type, it should only take neutral damage from poison, and can't be poisoned itself.
Most Water types are late-game only. I can't recall how early Silph can be entered (to get Lapras), but otherwise no non-Magikarp water catchables until you remove Snorlax to unlock the southern part of the map.

KingMike

jelome1989

Hey guys, sorry for bumping this topic, I know this is kinda old, but I'd like to share this to you all:

To those of you still playing this game, you might want to take a look at this! Might have some potential good use when Sun / Moon comes out. Good luck!

Exploring the 8F / WS M Key Item glitches! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOOHeFHSv0

Sisilly_G

This may be a stupid question, but is there any post-game content in Gen I aside from Cerulean Cave?

Perhaps my memory is fuzzy but I don't recall there being anything else to do.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

jump

Well there are fun challenges like seeing if a level 100 Caterpie can defeat the elite 4 on it's own!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

ManChild

Been makin my way through Pokemon yellow. Love my New 3ds XL. Forgot how fun handheld gaming can be.. Not to mention nostalgia with Pokemon. #Team3ds

Mess with the best, Lose like the rest..!

Rumorlife

I use to make teams based on the Gym leaders and see if they could beat the elite four. Going through them with just a Geodude & Onix like Brock is still mostly easy if you bring the proper healing items.

Before we had explanation as to how gym leaders became leaders, I assumed you had to beat the elite four to "prove yourself a master" to become one. So I figured their Pkmn (although the wrong levels) should be able to still beat them at a point without much struggle.

Rumorlife

Maxz

@Dankykong If you managed to beat the Elite Four using Onyx and Geodude at the same levels as Brock had, that would be seriously impressive. In fact, I think it's quite impresseive you managed to beat them with Onyx and Geodude at all.

I really need to get back to finishing this. I think I just beat Misty last time I played, but I've been away from it for a while. In the meantime, I learnt how to use some very primitive 8-bit software and made this: https://soundcloud.com/user-327390218/team-axiom-gb-sounds

I've always been a fan of the original chipmusic (even though whenever I get unaccustomed to listening to it, it sounds really shrill upon the first playback), so it was really cool to be able to get a basic grip on using the same tools and playing around with square/triangle/pulse/sawtooth waves.

Has anyone else had a go at using chiptune software or toying around with the games in any other way?

Edited on by Maxz

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Rumorlife

HAHA Heavens no I did no beat them using the actual levels. That'd be nearly impossible. I'm pretty sure I was using lv 50+ each time but I did mimic the movesets as much as I could, no evolving (ex. using Geodude not Graveler/Golem)
Brock has the worst duo though. Almost all the other teams of gym leaders are easier to survive with.

Rumorlife

Eel

I once played through Ruby with just a zigzagoon (with more 'goons added in for hm use and Pickup, but not battling).

He was level 70+ before I could beat the elite four.

It was fun though.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ManChild

Love the fact this was brought back to the 3ds.. Havin so much fun running through things that i missed many years ago as a kid.!

Mess with the best, Lose like the rest..!

Don

In a recent interview Masuda said they have no plans to release G/S/C to VC. Does that mean they won't be coming any time soon, if at all?

Don

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.