If you're a fan of 3D platformers, you probably remember Demon Turf from last year, a tight, neat-looking little gem from Fabraz (Slime-san) and Playtonic Friends that released in November. Mixing 2D visuals into a 3D space, we very much enjoyed our time with it, so it's exciting to see a new game featuring Beebz shadow-drop on Switch eShop.
Demon Turf: Neon Splash is a totally new game that ditches the combat from the original — the one part we found a little dull when we reviewed the game — and focuses on what it does best. That's right: no filler, all platforming. That's how that phrase goes, right?
You can check out the new release in neon-drenched action in the launch trailer above, and read some of the new features in the PR blurb below:
- This painting is no joke! Explore these surreal worlds, filled with bright neon colors, and enjoy the intoxicating combination of 2D & 3D art!
- Beebz will focus on what she does best! Platforming! Maintain a constant momentum with no stopgaps or combat, it's all about the platforming that is faster & better than ever before!
- A unique checkpoint system, tweaked to perfection! Place your own checkpoints at any time with no limit! Retreading is for losers!
- Lots to do! Explore 10 finely crafted levels with a plethora of unique challenges and hazards that are constantly introduced to you at a record pace!
- Setpiece levels with a fun narrative to boot! After all, Beebz didn't get sucked into the painting alone and her friends certainly are characters!
- A ton of additional goals for you to complete, such as: Collecting all the sweets in a level, finding the hidden vinyl which unlocks 10 more remix levels & getting all the trophy times!
- Remix levels?! You betcha! And don't be fooled, these are expertly crafted to be entirely new levels with brand new challenges! Better bring your A-game!
- Who knows what awaits you if you complete the game 100%? We do, and it's pretty sweet, so you should do it.
- 6 finely tuned modifications you can buy with your collectables: Sweets! Only the best of the best, such as mods that add an extra hit point, tweak or add new movesets etc. They even change your looks!
- Leaderboards, baby! That's right, compete for the best times across the world and show off your mettle!
- Photo Mode! Look, at this point it's mandatory and Beebz is really good at taking selfies! So snap away!
- Settings galore! Seriously, this thing's packed with options, so customize your game the way YOU want it to be
We gave the original Demon Turf an 8/10 in our review (check out the video below), saying that despite some repetitive combat, it's "a game that rewards daring and bravery, bolstered by wonderful platforming controls that let you string together incredible combos".
Demon Turf: Neon Splash is out now and will set you back just $4.99 / £4.99 / 4.99€. There's also a week-long launch discount of 10% if you want to snap it up, and anyone who owns the original game already will get an extra discount on top. You can't say fairer than that!
Let us know below if you enjoyed the original and if you'll be grabbing this over the long weekend (if you're having a long weekend, that is).