The enhanced version of Quake is easily one of the retro highlights of 2021, and it just keeps getting better - with Bethesda and its developers rolling out the second major update for all platforms, including the Nintendo Switch.
The highlights of 'Update 2' are Horde Mode - made by the team at MachineGames (Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus). This mode includes 1-4 player co-op as well as optional bots. And if that wasn't enough, there's also a new free add-on 'Honey' - "an atmospheric trip through a fog-laden village with a dark secret beneath the surface". Last but not least are some quality of life improvements and bug fixes.
There are also a few bug fixes specific to the Nintendo Switch version of the game. Here are the details in full, courtesy of Bethesda's official website:
QUAKE - UPDATE 2 RELEASE NOTES
Update 2 contains a brand-new Horde Mode made by MachineGames with 1-4 player co-op (including optional bots), new Add-on "Honey", some quality-of-life improvements, and bug fixes.It also marks the Quake release on the Epic Games Store (for PC). With Horde Mode you can play solo, with bots, or friends, and face off against waves of enemies of increasing difficulty. Earn Silver Keys to unlock access to better weapons. Survive long enough and earn a Gold Key, which will allow you to escape, or stay behind and fight against the armies of Quake until you fall
- All new multiplayer PvE experience designed by MachineGames
- Supports 1 - 4 players or bots in local multiplayer and online modes (Custom matches only)
- Playable on all difficulty levels
- Includes 4 new maps specifically designed for Horde Mode
- Score points by killing enemies
- Kill multiple enemies in quick succession for bonus points
- Your progression is reset after the last player dies
- Every 3rd wave has boss monsters but once you clear it, you get a Silver key to unlock more weapons and items
- After the 9th wave, you get a gold key to unlock the exit, or you can keep fighting as long as you are able
- Monsters have a chance of dropping quad damage and the pentagram of protection (powerups last for 5 seconds once picked up and despawn if not picked up after 10 seconds)
NEW ADD-ON: HONEY
- Expand your Quake experience with the free Honey Add-on and delve deep into the darkness to conquer a deadly plague infecting the land
- For a unique look behind the curtain, check out our Nods to Mods interview with the author of "Honey", MachineGames' own Senior Level Designer - Christian Grawert here
- Read more about how to access Honey here
- Improved auto aim to reduce amount of snapping and view locking onto enemies
- Crosshair color and type can now be changed from the Gameplay options menu
- Add-ons menu can now be used to play previously downloaded add-ons while offline
- Text chat and push to talk voice chat are now available in pre-game lobbies
- Added ability to invite friends across PC platforms using players on your Bethesda.net friends list (optional)
RANGER SKINS IN QUAKE CHAMPIONS AND DOOM ETERNAL
- Owners of our Quake re-release can log in with their Bethesda.net credentials in-game to earn the Ranger Slayer Skin for DOOM Eternal and the Quake Guy Ranger Skin with the Gladus Axe in Quake Champions! (NOTE: In addition to owning Quake, players must also own DOOM Eternal or Quake Champions to use their respective skins)
- Note: Nintendo Switch users can unlock the Ranger Slayer Skin in DOOM Eternal alongside Update 6.66 sometime in early 2022. Stay tuned to the Slayers Club for updates!
- For more info, click here
- Fixed Death Knight incorrectly referred to as Hell Knight in the main Quake campaign
- Bots now chat less
- Fixed cases where texture borders were visible around certain HUD elements
- Fixed weapon firing immediately after respawning in multiplayer
- Turning off Enable Microphone before connecting to online services now properly mutes the microphone
- Fixed a crash related to secret levels when loading a save
- Fixed controller audio not playing in multiplayer when in someone else's lobby
- Deadzone and other sliders should no longer have unselectable values
- Fixed achievement popup getting cut off when the pause menu is active
Microsoft Store (PC)
- "First Controller" setting now works correctly
And in case you missed it, Quake on Nintendo Switch now also supports mouse and keyboard controls.
Have you downloaded this update yet? If you are still not sure about this game, check out our written review or the video review above - we gave it 10 out of 10 stars.