Nintendo has revealed that Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl will receive a patch tomorrow, 11th November, despite the games not actually launching until next Friday, 19th November. Even more bizarre is the fact that the patch appears to be adding quite a lot of the games' content – including their opening and ending title sequences, post-game content, and more.
Naturally, the update will be available immediately when you get your copy from the 19th November (if you're buying digitally, it'll actually download with the patch installed right from the off). A full list of the updates included can be found below, and it's worth noting that you'll need "about 3GB" of free space to download it.
Ver. 1.1.0 (Released 11 November 2021)
- Addition of Grand Underground, Super Contest Show, Union Room and Mystery Gift communication features
You will be able to enjoy local and online communication features of the Grand Underground, Super Contest Show and Union Room. Additionally, you will also become able to receive gifts using the Mystery Gift feature.
- Addition of content after entering the Hall of Fame
Some content that becomes playable after entering the Hall of Fame, including Ramanas Park, will be added in the update.
- Note: even if you have already entered the Hall of Fame before downloading the update, downloading it will allow you to play the additional content.
- Addition of some in-game cutscenes and animations
Some in-game cutscenes and animations will be added in the update, including the game’s ending cutscene and the title screen animation that is played when opening the software.
- Note: you can view the title screen animation by starting up the software with existing save data and with the update installed. Even if you have already entered the Hall of Fame before the update is installed, you can view the ending cutscene by entering the Hall of Fame again afterwards.
- Other adjustments and corrections were made to improve the gameplay experience.
- Regarding a planned update after release
On the release date for the software, up to two players will be able to interact in local and online play in the Union Room, and you will be able to select the “Battle”, “Trade” and “Mix Records” functions. In an update that will be made available after the software releases, the maximum number of players will be increased, and the “Greeting” and “Capsule Decoration” functions will become available.
Additionally, trading using the GWS in Jubilife City and the use of the Colosseum feature inside Pokémon Centers will also be added in a post-release update.
As you can see, the update is required to enjoy the newly revealed Ramanas Park, a place where you can catch Legendary Pokémon from past games.