Forums

Topic: VC Recommendations thread

Posts 921 to 940 of 1,082

Chrono_Cross

WaveBoy wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

^Kirby's Dreamland 3, Balloon Fight, and definitely Ecco the Dolphin go unrecommended.

No love for Ecco the Dolphin? Another unfortunate Genesis game i rented back during its release that didn't get too much game time. Lets just say it was one hell of a confusing trip under the sea. Plus Balloon Fight trumps 'Ballon Kid' on the GB, and i have to play Dreamland 3 regardless if gets a bad rap just so i can say i finally completed all of the console kirby's. Ya, so much for recommendation.

Bad rep? KDL3 is amazing. Definitely recommended from this Kirby fan.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

SomeBitTripFan

Should I get SSB64 on Club Nintendo? I have Brawl, which I have clocked countless hours on. NLife gave in a moderate review. Is it worth 200 coins or should I hold out?

Edited on by SomeBitTripFan

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Paperchema

What do you guys think of Ogre Battle 64 and Sin and Punishment? Are they worth their price?

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6428-0615
Mii Name: Chema
Super Street Fighter IV
Resident Evil Revelations

DarkEdi

You should hold out. Brawl is the most complete version of Smash Bros. You don´t need another until Smash U.

Me gusta jugar videojuegos. Soy de México. Sorry my english grammar. I love the Virtual Console, party and fighting games too.

Nintendo Network ID: edi_tena

Gamesake

Paperchema wrote:

What do you guys think of Ogre Battle 64 and Sin and Punishment? Are they worth their price?

It's not easy for me to recommend lengthy strategy games to console gamers. They usually don't like them unless they're people of lordly caliber. I really enjoyed Ogre Battle 64 myself. It has multiple endings, loads of secret items and classes, customization, variety, and it's graphics have aged better than most N64 games. I see people get overwhelmed and confused by everything in this game at first, but you can play an in game tutorial at the title screen before you start a new game. For 1000 Wii points it'll take you about 40 hours to finish one playthrough. It's pretty long.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

Paperchema

Gamesake wrote:

Paperchema wrote:

It's not easy for me to recommend lengthy strategy games to console gamers. They usually don't like them unless they're people of lordly caliber. I really enjoyed Ogre Battle 64 myself. It has multiple endings, loads of secret items and classes, customization, variety, and it's graphics have aged better than most N64 games. I see people get overwhelmed and confused by everything in this game at first, but you can play an in game tutorial at the title screen before you start a new game. For 1000 Wii points it'll take you about 40 hours to finish one playthrough. It's pretty long.

Thanks for the answer! I'll be getting it.

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6428-0615
Mii Name: Chema
Super Street Fighter IV
Resident Evil Revelations

brooks83

Ogre Battle 64 is definately worth the price, considering complete copies on Ebay are going for about $200 right now.

brooks83

cheetahman91

GamecubeMan wrote:

Should I get F-Zero fors the SNES?

If you don't have X then I would get that one instead. The original is alright but I always preferred it's sequel.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

CanisWolfred

WaveBoy wrote:

Mega Man X or X2?
X1 is considered the holy grail of everything X(It's FABtastic) but X2 is usually praised as being the greatest sequal.
I mean, it does make sense after all considering it's starring the most wonderous and gorgeous maverick of them all.....WireSponge

Wiresponge is a royal pain, him and his stage. Get Mega Man X1, it's leaps and bounds better than the rest of the series.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Omega

I'm interested in The Last Ninja 2 for the Commodore 64.
Before buying I wanted to know if this game has unlimited continues or not. But I got totally irritated by different statements.

After reading some reviews and comments, I ended up with these statements:

• "When you lose your 3 lifes you have to start at the beginning of level 1".
  • "The frustration is great when you always fail at a difficult location in level 5 and after loosing all lifes have to restart at level 1."
  • "After losing all your lives, you will start again on the same level you were on with the same amount of lives you had when you started that level."
  • "You can use the Wii's autosave in these games but you get unlimited retries of each stage until you get bored or reset."

These statements sound inconsistent. So what is correct. Unlimited continues? Or not?
Or may this be due to differences between the U.S. and European version?

Edited on by Omega

Ωɱɛɡɑ

Xyphon22

Posting in a better place:
So I recently acquired a free Wii points card. I now have 2500 points and am looking for some advice on what to get. Here are some of the ones I'm interested in and any of my thoughts beyond "It looks fun."
Adventures of Lolo, Faxanadu, Gradius-loved as a kid but never beat, presence on 3DS reminded me of it and would probably rather have on the Wii
Castlevania-a major franchice that I've played very little of, but there are so many games that I don't know if I want to go down that pricey road if I end up loving it
Ninja Gaiden 2-have and love the first, never played any of the others
Zoda's Revenge-played Star Tropics and liked it, but not sure if I liked it enough to want to play the sequel that has mixed reactions to it
DoReMi, Legend of the Mystical Ninja- probably the one I am definitely going to get, loved the N64 one and heard great things about this one
Ys Book 1&2, Beyond Oasis-just thought it looked interesting, Ecco-loved Tides of Time, never played the original
Shining Force, Phantasy Star-heard good things, but never played a Master System game before

Any thoughts on these or recommendations for others? I have pretty much all Marios and Zeldas. I also enjoy unique experiences (like Kirby's Epic Yarn and NightSky), so if there are any hidden gems that I might just not be aware of, please let me know. And although I mentioned the original games from their respective series, if any of the sequels are infitely superior, that'd be good to know too (Gradius, Castlevania, Phantasy Star, etc.) Finally, RPGs are my favorite genre, so if there are any great ones of those that I need to try (I already have Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3). Thanks for any help.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

cheetahman91

@Xyphon22: If you're interested in Castlevania then I'll recommend Super Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood. Those are the best two on the VC imo. If you only want one, then get SCIV. Also, if you liked the first Ninja Gaiden, then you'll like the second one two so I'll recommend it as well. DoReMi is a solid platformer so you should get that one too. Finally, do you have a 360 or PS3? Because if you do, then you can get Beyond Oasis, both Ecco games and all of the Phantasy Star and Shining Force games available on the VC on the compilation Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (it should be pretty cheap. I bought a copy for $20 a couple of years ago.) If you don't own either console, then pass on DoReMi and get Shining Force.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

Xyphon22

I'd heard SCIV was probably the best Castlevania, so I might think about that. And I don't own either of those systems, but my plan is to get a 360 when the new generation comes out and I get one really cheap to play the handful of games I want to but can't as a Nintendo only gamer, so maybe I'll save any of those games for that day down the road. Thanks.

Xyphon22

Gamesake

@Xyphon22 Ys, Phantasy IV, and Rondo of Blood would be my choices out of those. Lolo, Ninja Gaiden, Faxanadu, Oasis, Shining Force II, and Ecco are all great choices too.

@cheetahman91 Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is the best game on the PS360.

...in my pants.

ThePirateCaptain

@Waveboy
Mega Man X is a classic, plain and simple. X2 is a pretty faithful sequel with some colorful levels and bosses although the music wasn't quite as memorable imo. While I don't find it quite as good as the original, I would still highly recommend X2 as its still a fantastic game and btw, Bubble Crab is way better than Wire Sponge. X3 on the other hand felt a little bit more unoriginal and slightly more difficult. Weakest of the SNES MMX games, but still fun like any Mega Man game and the music was better than X2 for me.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Gamesake

@Xyphon22 If you're not sold on Castlevaina, you should check out the Nintendo Life review for Monster World IV. It's an action RPG similar to games like Faxanadu but with more puzzles and platforming.

...in my pants.

Xyphon22

Gamesake wrote:

@Xyphon22 If you're not sold on Castlevaina, you should check out the Nintendo Life review for Monster World IV. It's an action RPG similar to games like Faxanadu but with more puzzles and platforming.

I'd heard of that game but didn't know much about it. The review sounds good except for being too easy which I don't like that much. Would it be better to play the earlier games first, and which ones because I think they all have multiple versions on the VC, don't they?

Xyphon22

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic