Forums

Topic: VC Recommendations thread

Posts 881 to 900 of 1,082

Omega

I'm interested in Magician Lord because it looks absolutely fantastic. But I'm not quite sure. I've heard that the game is hard as nails. But I've also red somewhere that the original Neo Geo console allows players to save their progress on a memory card.

Does anybody have this game for the VC and can confirm that this feature (save to memory card) is still intact in the VC version?

Ωɱɛɡɑ

CanisWolfred

Xilef wrote:

Does anyone know a good VC game for 500 points? Preferably not an NES game, since i buy all my NES game for my NES now, unless it is a rare one.

...No.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

Omega wrote:

I'm interested in Magician Lord because it looks absolutely fantastic. But I'm not quite sure. I've heard that the game is hard as nails. But I've also red somewhere that the original Neo Geo console allows players to save their progress on a memory card.

Does anybody have this game for the VC and can confirm that this feature (save to memory card) is still intact in the VC version?

I recall the reviews saying nothing about saving progress, but that feature no longer matters, now that the Wii has savestates.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Omega

@Mickeymac: Yes, the reviews really say nothing about it. And the suspend mode save enables the player to pause the game indefinitely but unfortunately doesn't function as a "save state". And for NeoGeo games (which Magician Lord is) even the suspend mode feature is not supported.

But in a YouTube video I've seen that the game has two options in the title screen
"Play start" and
"Memory Card Continue"

But I'm not sure if this works on the VC without a real Memory Card from the NeoGeo system.

Edited on by Omega

Ωɱɛɡɑ

brooks83

Omega wrote:

@Mickeymac: Yes, the reviews really say nothing about it. And the suspend mode save enables the player to pause the game indefinitely but unfortunately doesn't function as a "save state". And for NeoGeo games (which Magician Lord is) even the suspend mode feature is not supported.

But in a YouTube video I've seen that the game has two options in the title screen
"Play start" and
"Memory Card Continue"

But I'm not sure if this works on the VC without a real Memory Card from the NeoGeo system.

The Neo Geo games I have downloaded do have memory card support, so I would imagine this game does too.

brooks83

Omega

@brooks83: Thanks for informing me! Even if it's not 100% sure, I think I take the risk and buy that game. (It just looks terrific like Ghouls'n Ghosts and Shadow of the Beast mixed together.) And I think Nintendo are conscientious enough that they would've removed the "Memory Card Continue" on the title screen if it wouldn't be supported.

BTW: @Brooks83, which other NeoGeo games have you downloaded which have memory card support. Maybe I'm interested in them, too.

Edited on by Omega

Ωɱɛɡɑ

brooks83

Omega wrote:

@brooks83: Thanks for informing me! Even if it's not 100% sure, I think I take the risk and buy that game. (It just looks terrific like Ghouls'n Ghosts and Shadow of the Beast mixed together.) And I think Nintendo are conscientious enough that they would've removed the "Memory Card Continue" on the title screen if it wouldn't be supported.

BTW: @Brooks83, which other NeoGeo games have you downloaded which have memory card support. Maybe I'm interested in them, too.

I have 2020 Super Baseball, Ironclad and Fatal Fury Special, and they all support it. The memory card just saves where you last left off, it's not like multiple saves that you can choose from. But if you do get it, let me know how Magician Lord is, I've thought about getting that game as well.

brooks83

Omega

brooks83 wrote:

The memory card just saves where you last left off, it's not like multiple saves that you can choose from.

Sounds good. I don't expect more. I just don't like it If I have to completely start over every time.

brooks83 wrote:

I have 2020 Super Baseball, Ironclad and Fatal Fury Special, and they all support it.

Thanks. That's nice to know. Though I'm not a fan of sports and fighting games, Ironclad could really interest me. I have been giving serious thought about getting this. Now that I know that you can have a savegame, I think I'll add it on my wishlist too.
I don't know when I'm getting Magician Lord. Maybe next month or so. I'll report back how it was.

Ωɱɛɡɑ

DarkEdi

The save states not apply in N64 or Neo Geo games. But both features the save data that originally used for the game. All Neo Geo games supports the save memory data.

Me gusta jugar videojuegos. Soy de México. Sorry my english grammar. I love the Virtual Console, party and fighting games too.

Nintendo Network ID: edi_tena

Omega

I just bought Magician Lord and played a bit. It has indeed the Memory Card save as expected.

It looks beautiful, music is nice and it has this really cool sort of creepy fantasy look with magic and dilapidated walls and Zombies and all and is really well done. Something like Ghouls'n Ghosts and it's tough as nails like GnG too. Thankfully we have the Memory Card Save which is imho an absolute must for this title.

The only thing that really gripes me is that everything retro looks like bleh on an LCD flatscreen. I want my CRT television back. Now! (But that's obviously not the game's fault.)

Edited on by Omega

Ωɱɛɡɑ

DarkEdi

Yes, Magician Lord is an excellent game. The Memory Card save helps you to save the level where you die, so there isn´t any problem to try hard each level.

Me gusta jugar videojuegos. Soy de México. Sorry my english grammar. I love the Virtual Console, party and fighting games too.

Nintenbro

Is The Last Blade the best fighter available on the WiiShop? Or would I be better off just putting those $9 towards the cost of the Samurai Showdown Anthology?

Nintendo Bro
3DS FC: 3222-6658-7489

Currently waiting for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

Omega

I'm not a fan of fighting games. But according to NintendoLife reviews the best downloadable fighting games are:

Samurai Shodown II (NeoGeo)
Rage of the Gladiator (WiiWare)
The Last Blade (NeoGeo)
Streets of Rage 2 (MD/Genesis)

which have all a 9/10.
For the anthology: Sorry, I Don't know.

Ωɱɛɡɑ

CanisWolfred

Nintenbro wrote:

Is The Last Blade the best fighter available on the WiiShop? Or would I be better off just putting those $9 towards the cost of the Samurai Showdown Anthology?

[/div]

Last Blade is better than 6 SamSho games put together, trust me on that. For one thing, Last Blade is actually accessible to some degree, and has a much better pacing to the battles. I also found the general systems to be better overall. I like SamSho, but The Last Blade really is better in nearly every way.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Nintenbro

Well, it appears as if The Last Blade will be the first fighter I'll be downloading from the Wii VC. Well, except for Final Fight, but I consider that more of a beat'm up/brawler than a traditional fighting game. There's no sense in owning a bunch of fighting games, when I can receive just as much enjoyment from one single game.

Nintendo Bro
3DS FC: 3222-6658-7489

Currently waiting for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

Gamesake

Mickeymac wrote:

I like SamSho, but The Last Blade really is better in nearly every way.

Certainly not better characters though. Last Blade features that same bland B level anime look that nearly every second rate SNK fighting game suffers from. Samurai Showdown was the only SNK fighter that ever looked as good as a Capcom Fighter.

...in my pants.

DarkEdi

Now that we have too World Heroes Perfect. Can you recommend it? I like fighters, i have SSFII, Last Blade and Fighter´s History Dinamite. I like a lot this 3 games.

e-love

Would anyone recommend the NES Mega Man games to me? I'm somewhat interested but not wanting to get games that I can't finish. Basically are these games really difficult? Like hard enough that an experienced Mario player couldn't get through them?

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

CanisWolfred

Gamesake wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

I like SamSho, but The Last Blade really is better in nearly every way.

[/div]

Certainly not better characters though. Last Blade features that same bland B level anime look that nearly every second rate SNK fighting game suffers from. Samurai Showdown was the only SNK fighter that ever looked as good as a Capcom Fighter.

I disagree, but then again, I find character design to be a total non-issue. It's about how they play, not how they look.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

KingMike

Emaan wrote:

Would anyone recommend the NES Mega Man games to me? I'm somewhat interested but not wanting to get games that I can't finish. Basically are these games really difficult? Like hard enough that an experienced Mario player couldn't get through them?

The second game had an easy mode (the "Normal" difficulty) added for the western release (makes the player do twice as much damage to the bosses). I don't think it's that difficult. Sure, a few tricky spots (such as Quick Man's famous pits of instant death lasers), but I don't think it requires TOO much practice to overcome.
(the original Japanese difficulty was called "Advanced")

KingMike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic