Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Thread of SPOILERS

Posts 361 to 380 of 391

the_shpydar

I wouldn't call the GF evil per se. They're presented as a military-industrial complex, and it's a fairly common story device (and real life device, lol) to have such entities (or clandestine groups within them) to be doing "questionable" things which they believe are for the "greater good".

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

BulbasaurusRex

Only a small splinter group of the GF is corrupt. Most of the GF is just fine.

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

Leonzable

Also that last "boss" sucked, you win by looking at it._

"WE ARE THE FATHERZZZZZZZZZZZZZ JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA"
-some random guy online

romulux

Gamesake wrote:

I scoff at the corrupt military too. Why did they decide to make the GF evil all of a sudden in Other M? And why does Samus work along side them after all this in Metroid Fusion?

Metroid has supernatural moments too and I let it slide. Like when "the baby" dies and bestows on Samus the hyper beam along with it's entrails.

fusion introduced the idea of the federation being corrupted, so as far as i see other m is just providing a bridge there. maybe the point is to emphasize why samus chooses to work independently, along with her personal reasons. as for why she continues to work with the federation, well she had been working for them her whole life and it was one sect of military higher ups who were crooked. after what happens in fusion it's pretty clear that she's done working with them for good, though.

i always thought the hyper beam came from the baby metroid overcharging samus' suit with the energy from mother brain. other m did offer another explanation that doesn't make as much sense , but i'm not going to dismiss the whole story over what amounts to a trivial detail. again, the hyper beam has almost no significance to the real story in this game, so why get hung up on it. if this were a movie, yeah, you'd probably be able to hold things like that against it, but video games can't be held to the same standard.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

retired_account

Leonzable wrote:

Also that last "boss" sucked, you win by looking at it._

Yeah that was stupid. IGN Guides had this complex strategy to win, and all I had to do is just focus on MB.

I wish the Other M story didn't happen. The way they tied up MB was completely unsatisfying. I felt no emotion for her, even though Madeline was doubled over and bawling like a baby. They just tried too much and it ended up being too little, and the result was that the story felt totally disconnected from the rest of the Metroid games.

They absolutely nailed Samus's looks and voice for me, though. Her internal monologue was perfect and inline with the other games in the series (barring some terribly written lines). I liked her newfound emotion, and the trauma with Ridley was really well done.

But what I missed was the atmosphere that Metroid is so well-known for. If they were trying to create it by the story, they failed miserably. There was never really a sense of horror or loneliness -- actually, there was that one section in the game where you begin to doubt Adam and to feel more self-directed (which was awesome), but that was it, and even that was short-lived.

I'll admit that the story was the main drive I had to finish the game in under a week, but I really hated how they wrapped it up. Completely unsatisfying. It was like a really bad JRPG.

retired_account

kkslider5552000

I have to agree that, at least, Fusion's story was far better. Mainly because Other M decided at the most random times when to be too obvious and when to be too subtle.

No one can ever regret the story though as long as Anthony appears in a future Metroid game (which he better as he is awesome)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

hylianhalcyon

@KingBroly: I just read it, and it was actually a pretty good read. It was lengthy, but also likely the most intelligent piece I've read that discusses Other M.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and cultural heritage for profit, or as an exercise of power, are barbarians." - George Lucas, 1988

LucinaSmash

What if Samus personality from Other M into Brawl. Samus approaches to Kirby and instead of fighting she will say "a baby"

For the best Wii U HD experience, Mad Catz Wii Component Cable in 1080p

Chris720

What I don't fully understand, and I've seen it posted around the interwebs where Adam shoots Samus to stop her from entering into a enemy infested room, when he could just shout stop...

But oh no, I'm (Adam) gonna have to shoot you in the back and make you go unconcious when an enemy's right in front of you. Or is it that he just wanted to see her in her Zero Suit?

Edited on by Chris720

Origin: chrisd1080
Steam: Chris720
Battle.net: Chris720
uPlay: Demonic720
YouTube

Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter:

Aviator

OtherL wrote:

What if Samus personality from Other M into Brawl. Samus approaches to Kirby and instead of fighting she will say "a baby"

Her final smash will be thoughts and feelings which people find confusing.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Philip_J_Reed

xDemon720x wrote:

What I don't fully understand, and I've seen it posted around the interwebs where Adam shoots Samus to stop her from entering into a enemy infested room, when he could just shout stop...

But oh no, I'm (Adam) gonna have to shoot you in the back and make you go unconcious when an enemy's right in front of you. Or is it that he just wanted to see her in her Zero Suit?

I think he shoots her not to stop her from entering the Metroid-infested area, but to weaken her so that she can't stop him when he enters with the purpose of sacrificing himself.

He already has a plan to deal with the Metroids, and he knows she won't let him do it, so he stuns her for a short time.

And he wanted to see her in her Zero Suit. Not a bad final image for the man, really.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

romulux

his shooting her makes sense, but doing it before shooting the metroid doesn't. he didn't seem to know whether a freeze gun would work on the larva, so it seems kind of stupid to make samus so vulnerable to it like that without even knowing if he'd be able to stop it. sometimes logic gets sacrificed for extra drama.

maybe it would have made more sense if james had shot her instead, then adam shows up to take him and the metroid out to save samus, i don't know. at least that would have stopped the whining about closure on who deleter was.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Aviator

I rekon Samus' should have grown some and shoot Adam.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Chris720

@Aviator How can a woman grow some? Its impossible.

Also, how about Adam denying her the ability to use the Varia Suit? I mean its not a danger or "health and safety" problem against other civilians, like for example, Power Bombs. But yet, when Samus goes into the lava area, she more-or-less goes on a suicide mission until half-way through Adam THEN authorizes use of the Varia Suit. Its also the same with the Grapple Beam, its not going to kill anyone, I mean really...

I'm sorry, but if I were Samus (I think we all would right?) I would disobey Adam and use the Varia Suit anyways so my butt don't get cooked.

Its little things like this that make Metroid: Other M a bit of a "WTF game".

Edited on by Chris720

Origin: chrisd1080
Steam: Chris720
Battle.net: Chris720
uPlay: Demonic720
YouTube

Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter:

KingBroly

What the article does is connect pieces from the game at face value. It doesn't interpret things. It says 'okay, this is here, adding this to here = this.' Okay yes, the game doesn't setup the idea of Ridley killing Samus' parents, but him causing her to freak does by some stretch of the imagination make sense.

Him shooting her, leaving her helpless against a baby Metroid is almost torture. They need to retcon this, or write themselves out of it in the next game. It's a bad and creepy situation that shouldn't be going on.

Also, if you take everything into account, and subscribe to the argument, the story for the most part, is actually told pretty well. That's scary in its' own right.

Edited on by KingBroly

KingBroly

Leonzable

A baby...

"WE ARE THE FATHERZZZZZZZZZZZZZ JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA"
-some random guy online

Philip_J_Reed

xDemon720x wrote:

I'm sorry, but if I were Samus (I think we all would right?) I would disobey Adam and use the Varia Suit anyways so my butt don't get cooked.

But you realize that this, by definition, is what characterization is. It's painting Samus as an individual. That is to say, she doing things and saying things and acting in ways that you and I might not. Because she's not you and I. And she's not Mario, or Master Chief, or Alucard. She's an individual who is going out of her way to respect the chain of command even when it places her life in danger. Whether or not you would act that way is beside the point. It shows Samus as having an unhealthy desire to atone for her past transgression(s), and that's a defining character moment for her.

In reality, yes, we'd just use the Varia Suit and get on with our day.

In the game, and in any form of art, you need to establish what makes Samus Samus. And that's--for better or worse--exactly what they were trying to do.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.