Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Posts 1,701 to 1,720 of 1,742

n0body

pixelman wrote:

@n0body, I have a hard time taking a game seriously if the game's director doesn't either. Getting butt shots and sexy poses in what are supposed to be highly emotionally scenes is crossing the line.

@romulux, that's interesting about the manga, but there's been absolutely none of that in any of the games, so it's really hard to take it seriously when by all appearances it's completely against her character. And if Nintendo considers its "true fans" to be the ones who read all of the manga and played every single game, then they just cut off a very large percentage of their Metroid fanbase. Hell, I didn't even know a manga existed until you brought it up. :/

Honestly, the idea of a mentally strained Samus who's having issues with guilt about past events sounds really cool. But again, they mentioned none of that in the game. We're only lead to believe that she feels motherly towards the baby Metroid and that she has a daddy complex with Adam. It sounds great for a Final Fantasy plot, but keep it out of my Metroid please.

alright, lets do this the hard way. The following is a compilation of every single shot of zero suit samus in other m.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKgnz3FRUD8
Being generous I'd say there are about a total of 8 shots where her butt is visible. The first two are clearly a result of the framing, since they are wide angle shots of Samus looking up at people on a higher platform, and all of them need to be in the frame. After that there are a few more where Samus is shown lying on her stomach after being shot by Adam. In these cases her front side is facing the floor (!)... After that there are a few more shots where Samus is talking to Adam and her butt is seen during a camera pan (I guess they wanted Adam not to face her when speaking, which makes sense in the context of the scene.). Another shot is right before she gives him the thumbs down which I'm not even sure can be described as an butt shot since it's in profile. That leaves one more shot where, once again, the camera is panning around Samus. All of these shots can be considered dynamic camera work, which is just a part of good cinematic presentation, and also fits into the sci-fi theme of disorientation, as can be seen in many movies of this genre. Furthermore, the use of third person shots from behind the back is nothing new in videogames, and it makes quite a bit of sense too.

The only thing you can try to argue IMO, is that Samus is built in a way that emphasizes her female parts more than absolutely necessary, in which case I'd point out that this is the LEAST cartoony and exaggerated character model she has ever received. Further more, the fact that she's only in her Zero suit when it makes sense to the story is also something you should consider. In total, including the gameplay sections and cinematics, this amounts to about 10 minutes out of a 10+ hour game, ie: a little more than 1% of the game's screen time.

If you want me to go on, you can also compare this percentage to the one for Samus' face and eyes, and I am sure you will find they receive SIGNIFICANTLY more screen time than her butt or boobs or any other part you fancy. Samus' face and eyes are even given special attention when she is in her armor, due to the transparent visor the developers implemented for this very reason. If you'd read the Iwata asks interviews with Sakamoto, you'd know that! Another thing you'd know is that D-Rockets, the CG production company for the game, wanted to have her in her Zero suit for even more shots, since it made their animation work much easier, and Sakamoto wouldn't budge on this issue!

Then again I guess you didn't notice all those other important points because you were too busy being enraged over a handful of scenes you considered to be perverse. Either that or you have the game constantly looping on those scenes exclusively so that they are the only thing you remember

Edited on by theblackdragon

n0body

romulux

for the record i don't think the manga is particularly good, nor do i think you should have to read it to understand other m. i was just offering it as proof that other m's samus has been around the whole time. skim through it if you want: http://metroid.retropixel.net/comics/metroidmanga/

as for why you didn't see her like this in the other games, was the capability even there in the 8 and 16-bit entries? it wasn't until the prime games that in depth storytelling became possible and they weren't made by the japanese staff. fusion and zero mission on the other hand were and they're very consistent with other m, hell, other m is practically a remake of fusion they're so similar.

again, not saying the game was perfect, i just don't agree with these particular criticisms. the reason i even want to argue about it is that people's overreaction to other m might have killed the series, at least for a few good years. it wasn't that bad by any stretch, but the outrage has certainly made nintendo feel that way.

by the way, the butt shots wouldn't be an issue if her suit weren't so revealing. no one would have noticed anything wrong with the camera work if she had a more modest outfit.... that's team ninja's contribution. at least you can admit that they did a nice job in the butt department.

Edited on by romulux

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

retired_account

@Straw_Hat_Luffy: I'm getting sick of being grouped in the "omg Samus was a stone cold killer" crowd. I've never considered her as such, because that goes entirely against what the games have suggested. Also, Sakamoto was in charge of everything, and he could've managed the scenes better if he really wanted to. At least he cut them down from what Team Ninja originally wanted (at least that's what I read somewhere), but it was a mistake to bring them in to begin with.

Oh and for the record, I played Super Metroid before I played Metroid Prime, and Super is one of my favorite games of all-time. I think that's mostly why I dislike Other M so much, since it's so directly related to such a great game.

@n0body: I'm really not interested in your in-depth analysis of the camera angles in her zero suit segments. If they wanted to throw them in, I'm fine with that; just do it at a light-hearted point, not the two most critical and emotional scenes in the game. There's a time and place for everything.

And yeah, I thought it was most effective when you only saw her eyes in her power suit; the Ridley scene was a great example of that. Can you imagine how much more moving the final scene with Adam would've been if Samus's power suit was broken down, sparking, and you could only see the desperation in her eyes? But no, Sakamoto took the campy route and made the scene completely ridiculous.

@romulux: Ninja Gaiden on the NES handled cutscenes really well, so yeah, it was possible. :3

I've always liked Samus, and it just pisses me off the way they handled her in this game. And the game itself is a sub-par action game to boot.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

SKTTR

pixelman wrote:

@n0body, I have a hard time taking a game seriously if the game's director doesn't either. Getting butt shots and sexy poses in what are supposed to be highly emotionally scenes is crossing the line.

Hey. This is just a goodlooking girl in her latex suit going through really bad times and all you do is watching her butt.
thank you for not bringing the insults to this thread — TBD

@Straw_Hat_Luffy: Glad you've commented again. I couldn't read the whole thread (too much) and appreciate you repeating yourself. 100% agree with everything you say.
I never thought people would compare Metroid to Halo though - because Metroid is thankfully very different from that generic PC game.

@ n0body: Thanks for bringing up that link. It's proof that there's definately serious butt lacking in that game.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Meta-Rift

romulux wrote:

as for why you didn't see her like this in the other games, was the capability even there in the 8 and 16-bit entries?

Capability has absolutely nothing to do with this. 8-bit and 16-bit consoles some of the best stories, characters, and dialogue in any video game, even by today's standards.

romulux wrote:

other m is practically a remake of fusion they're so similar.

I agree, but that doesn't explain why they suddenly gave Samus a different personality for Other M.

Meta-Rift

hylianhalcyon

pixelman wrote:

I've always liked Samus, and it just pisses me off the way they handled her in this game. And the game itself is a sub-par action game to boot.

This is my stance on Other M.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and cultural heritage for profit, or as an exercise of power, are barbarians." - George Lucas, 1988

retired_account

@SKTTR: Sorry, but if you want to troll me you'll have to do better than that. :3

retired_account

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

the key problem is you are ignoring the fact that Other M was written horribly.

And Fusion had like 1/5 of the dialogue for Samus that explained just as much information because it didn't treat it's audience like blind goldfish. SHOW DON'T TELL. Except for PTST, which should be told if you don't want your main character to suddenly look weak.

Like I said before, the only things they didn't make too obvious is the stuff that SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE MORE OBVIOUS.

Wow, for once I agree with you.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

n0body

We really need a woman or two in this discussion... preferably ones who have played the game..

n0body

theblackdragon

That woman is apparently going to be me, even though I can't stand Metroid games and have never played M:OM. Let's keep the skeezy insults out of this thread, and watch the language while we're at it, please. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Chrono_Cross

romulux wrote:

Kid_Crono wrote:

romulux wrote:

she recklessly makes a decision to save the baby metroid and it winds up killing a lot of scientists

Really? Because If I recall Ridley was the one who did that.

she saved it from sr388 instead of destroying it like she was ordered to is what i meant. it was a big risk but she thought she could keep it a secret, she was wrong and that's what led to ridley destroying the station and stealing the metroid, it was a direct result of her decision to save the baby. she was lucky enough to stop the cloning and wipe the pirates out in the process, otherwise she would have been in deep sh*t. the general at the end of other m even states as much and samus talks about adam losing respect for her for being so reckless.

I know this...

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

n0body

pixelman wrote:

@n0body: I'm really not interested in your in-depth analysis of the camera angles in her zero suit segments. If they wanted to throw them in, I'm fine with that; just do it at a light-hearted point, not the two most critical and emotional scenes in the game. There's a time and place for everything.

And yeah, I thought it was most effective when you only saw her eyes in her power suit; the Ridley scene was a great example of that. Can you imagine how much more moving the final scene with Adam would've been if Samus's power suit was broken down, sparking, and you could only see the desperation in her eyes? But no, Sakamoto took the campy route and made the scene completely ridiculous.

Saying you don't like the way the cinematography of one or two scenes was executed is quite different from saying the director didn't take the game as a whole seriously, don't you think? Even if you feel it was a terrible decision it's still only about one minute out of the entire experience. Where do you draw the line between being disappointed and being obsessive?

n0body

n0body

Let me say one more thing to everybody who's been using this thread as an opportunity to fling mud around.
It's called a DISCUSSION THREAD, ie: if you have something interesting and original to say, this is the place. If you want to continue finding creative ways to say "Other M is CRAP", "Sakamoto should be FIRED" and so on, you're not actually interested in discussing the game at all, are you?

Why don't you open a thread called "The Other M mud flinging thread" and continue there? I'll tell you why. It's because that thread would far too quickly be reduced to a boring pile of drivel unworthy of even an Internet forum, and you guys wouldn't have anything interesting to read in it, that's why!

You know what's NOT boring drivel?? You know what IS interesting to read?? Intelligent discussion backed up by actual information. Please feel welcome to contribute your own rather than leech off of other people's efforts.

n0body

grumblebuzzz

n0body wrote:

Let me say one more thing to everybody who's been using this thread as an opportunity to fling mud around.
It's called a DISCUSSION THREAD, ie: if you have something interesting and original to say, this is the place. If you want to continue finding creative ways to say "Other M is CRAP", "Sakamoto should be FIRED" and so on, you're not actually interested in discussing the game at all, are you?

Why don't you open a thread called "The Other M mud flinging thread" and continue there? I'll tell you why. It's because that thread would far too quickly be reduced to a boring pile of drivel unworthy of even an Internet forum, and you guys wouldn't have anything interesting to read in it, that's why!

You know what's NOT boring drivel?? You know what IS interesting to read?? Intelligent discussion backed up by actual information. Please feel welcome to contribute your own rather than leech off of other people's efforts.

This. All of it. So tired of this endless "debate". To the mud slingers, I hope you're happy to be killing a franchise that I love by being jerks. I wonder why Nintendo isn't doing anything to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Metroid this year...

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

n0body

Kid_A wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy is not a Metroid game

early 2002 called, they want their first impressions back

This is classic.
Also, I'm still amazed by how massively polarizing Other M is. I'm starting to think it's because they inserted a lot of "japaneseyness"into a very western franchise. I love Japanese games, so I loved Other M. I love uber-melodramatic cutscenes with ridiculous stories (for laughs, obviously) and off-the-wall gameplay. I can totally understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

You bring up an interesting point. Do you think any other franchise that was (recently) made by western developers and then transferred over to Japanese ones would receive a similar reaction? I think that is quite possibly the case. It really isn't something that happens all that much AFAIK, with the opposite being far more common.

n0body

kkslider5552000

I'm often one step a way from being a weeaboo idiot so I can confirm that has nothing to do with it.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Reala

Haven't played other M so haven't a clue if its good or not, but voicing that they didn't enjoy it isn't mud slinging if they have a valid point, if all they are doing is ranting and raving that's different but genuine contribution to the discussion whether positive or negative is perfectly fine within this thread, its only a game at the end of the day remember.

Reala

Cia

n0body wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy is not a Metroid game

early 2002 called, they want their first impressions back

This is classic.
Also, I'm still amazed by how massively polarizing Other M is. I'm starting to think it's because they inserted a lot of "japaneseyness"into a very western franchise. I love Japanese games, so I loved Other M. I love uber-melodramatic cutscenes with ridiculous stories (for laughs, obviously) and off-the-wall gameplay. I can totally understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

You bring up an interesting point. Do you think any other franchise that was (recently) made by western developers and then transferred over to Japanese ones would receive a similar reaction? I think that is quite possibly the case. It really isn't something that happens all that much AFAIK, with the opposite being far more common.

you guys realise that Metroid is a japanese franchise?

Cia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic