Forums

Topic: What do you think of the Wii U's 2014 Nintendo titles?

Posts 1 to 20 of 55

sub12

Just some general observations by me........

• Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and Mario Kart 8 (ties with MK DS), are arguably the best titles in each of their respective franchises, yeah, I just said that.
  • Despite the above titles, Q1/Q2 still needs more support from Nintendo, this year had a lot of quality during that period, but quantity is still a major issue, hopefully 2015 puts an end to the Wii U's spring and summertime droughts (something that the console had in 2013 as well).
  • Q3/Q4 is somewhat weak IMO, granted, I'm not the biggest Super Smash Bros. fan, but I'm sure the Wii U take on the series will be amazing regardless. On the other hand, Hyrule Warriors was "meh", not bad, but still "meh", and although I think Bayonetta 2 will be a killer title, I reckon it will fly under the radar of a lot of non-core Wii U owners, unfortunately. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker will probably be released right around Black Friday or in December. I'm expecting an enjoyable, charming title........but nothing that will blow my socks off.
  • Mario Kart 8's DLC in November was a fantastic move on the part of Nintendo, I'm actually more excited for this than any of the Nintendo published titles this fall.............
  • On the VC front, I'm gonna call a long shot and say that Nintendo is going to announce Gamecube titles for the VC after they start selling the new GCN controllers for Smash..............however, they will do the samething they did with the GBA VC titles in 2014.............use them as a spring cushion for the lack of titles in general, so yeah, I'm gonna say spring 2015. Although I do expect to see N64 titles on the VC by the end of 2014.

Edited on by sub12

sub12

DBPirate

*Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was pretty good. I just didn't like the difficulty so much. Better than Returns though. 9/10
*Mario Kart 8 was amazing! I enjoyed it a lot! Everything was spectacular except for the roster and I can't wait for the DLC! 9.8/10
*Looking forward to Hyrule Warriors. I was going to go get it Oct 3rd but I decided to get Smash 3DS. Looks great though.
*Super Smash Bros. is going to be as good if not better than Mario Kart 8 for sure. The roster and stages look great so far.
*I'm not getting Bayonetta 2 'cause it's M and I'm not into M games but it'll most likely be good.
*I was pleasantly surprised by Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and I'll probably get it for Christmas. I hope it'll be really good, at least as good as Tropical Freeze.
*You didn't mention Ultimate NES Remix or NES Remix 2. 2 was much better than 1 but I won't be getting Ultimate this year.
*I agree with you on the VC. I wouldn't say it's a "long shot." Though they'll probably show N64 games before GCN.

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

Olliemar28

I absolutely loved Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - the gameplay, the vsuals, the music, it was just a joy to experience. Same goes for Mario Kart 8, I'm still playing it regularly with friends and online. I don't really enjoy Dynasty Warriors, so I had to give Hyrule Warriors a miss. I have high hopes for Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2. I'm confident that Smash Bros will impress with its track record and stellar 3DS version, and I played the hell out of the first Bayonetta game.

In regards to Gamecube titles coming to Virtual Console, I think it would be silly not to, with the upcoming support for Gamecube controllers. My wish list (albeit, optimistic) would include Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, MGS Twin Snakes and Eternal Darkness, amongst others.

Olliemar28

Twitter:

kkslider5552000

There needed to be more of them and Nintendo should be thankful that everyone else has also struggled to release games.

I can't comment on them individually outside of Mario kart, but while I don't think lightning will strike twice with Tropical Freeze, I'm hoping that Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros are the light at the end of this dark 2014 tunnel known as major game releases.

Mario Kart 8 is a weird game in that it is 32 of the highest quality tracks...but little else of significant value. It lacks good variety to become a favorite of mine and is not a good idea to spend 60 dollars on unless you are hardcore into Mario Kart.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Joeynator3000

Tropical Freeze I enjoyed, still need to 100% it at some point, though.
Mario Kart 8....meh, I dunno. It's ok.
Can't wait to see what Smash Wii U will have compared to the 3DS version.
Gonna give Bayonetta/2 a try, not a huge fan on M games...but if they're interesting I'll try them.
Toad's game, I dunno yet.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

skywake

Any year with Smash and Kart is a big year. Last time they did it was in 2008 and the only big games the Wii got that year other than those two were Animal Crossing, Wario Land and Wii Fit. It was still a pretty massive year. They don't have a sales smash like Wii Fit this year but in terms of what gamers want? I'd say they're above par. It's not often that you get a year where instead of there being one clear winner or a scraping of a barrel you're instead arguing which of four games are the ones you're really hyped about.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

19Robb92

I LOVE DKC: Tropical Freeze. Best game of 2014 thus far IMO.

Mario Kart 8 is brilliant.

Hyrule Warriors seem to have turned out a little bit worse than I expected. But I haven't bought it yet.

Looking forward to Bayonetta 2 & SSB4 a lot.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

Octane

I usually wait a year before I give my final judgement on a game. Nevertheless DKC:TF and MK8 are great games. Personally I prefer DKC:TF over DKCR, MK8 is also up there with Double Dash!!. Hyrule Warriors is addicting at the moment, I've already spent more time on that game than on MK8.

Octane

crimsoncavalier

I just recently bought my Wii U, so I haven't tried everything out there from this year, but I am a fan of Mario Kart (one of the big reasons I took the Wii U plunge).

Although I feel some of the online gameplay is a bit unbalanced (items in particular), I think it's fantastic. It's one of my favorite installments in the series, and I love the game.

I'm looking forward to Bayonetta 2, not because it's M, but because a genuinely good game. Additionally, I never played the original, so I think it will be great to get two games – one of which is considered the best 3D Action/Adventure game of last generation – for the price of one is something I can't pass up. I'm looking forward to Smash Bros, but I will not be picking it up at launch, since I do not have time to play as much as I would like, and I'm still working on Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii, Mario Kart 8, and obviously, will be working on Bayonetta 1 and 2 in a few weeks.

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

rockodoodle

MK8 is awesome. Maybe my favorite game of all time. It's definitely worth $60 (tho it's $48 on Amazon and I got mine for $40 after trade in and power up bonus- but I got my game back digitally). Don't care for the baby characters and Rainbow Road, while a good course was a little disappointing. Throw in that for $12, you get more characters and 16 more tracks- I've got 80 plus hours on it and will likely get up to 200 by next year at this time.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

There needed to be more of them and Nintendo should be thankful that everyone else has also struggled to release games.

I can't comment on them individually outside of Mario kart, but while I don't think lightning will strike twice with Tropical Freeze, I'm hoping that Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros are the light at the end of this dark 2014 tunnel known as major game releases.

Mario Kart 8 is a weird game in that it is 32 of the highest quality tracks...but little else of significant value. It lacks good variety to become a favorite of mine and is not a good idea to spend 60 dollars on unless you are hardcore into Mario Kart.

rockodoodle

Ryno

Tropical Freeze: Fantastic game. The enivornments and music are top notch. The challenge is there and with a little practice you can overcome most. The K levels are another level though. Maybe someday I will go back and try and complete them.
Mario Kart 8: Fun game and gorgeous to look at. Great game to play with others but not one I want to spend a lot of time with single player. Free game promotion made it worth $60, otherwise I wouldn't want to pay that much for it.
Hyrule Warriors: looking forward to getting the game, for Christmas. backlog is to big
Bayonetta 2: See above
Captain Toad: Not interested in getting this game
Smash Wii U: See above

6 games for 2014 from one publisher (Nintendo) is pretty good. There are some high quality and fun games there and I don't think we can ask for much more.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

unrandomsam

Tropical Freeze: Good but too easy. Too similar to Returns to not have the difficulty ramped up or more mechanics. The minecart and barrel bits were particularly simplistic. If they had mandated the -K levels to progress they could have assumed more from the player for the next world. Think it is all about the same difficulty. (2-K being the exception).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

LzWinky

Tropical Freeze: Buy it
Mario Kart: Buy it
Hyrule Warriors: Not interested
Bayonetta: Not interested
Captain Toad: Maybe
Super Smash Wii U: BUY IT

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Punished_Boss_84

Six titles? Isn't that a little severely limited?

"They played us like a damn fiddle!" - MGS5
"Finish your mission, prove your loyalty." - MGS3
"We could take a s*** on you from such a height, you'd think God himself has crapped on you!" - GTA: SA
Currently Playing: The Phantom Pain.

3DS Friend Code: 3840-6320-8217

veeflames

I still have to buy some 2012... okay, maybe not that year. Let's say 2013 Wii U games let alone 2014 games. MK8 is AWESOME, it's up there with another favourite of mine, MKDD!! I WANT to play all the 2014 Wii U games, so yes I think good of them. I wish there were more in number and some certain 3rd parties cough*residentevilrevelations2*cough

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Ryno

Punished_Boss wrote:

Six titles? Isn't that a little severely limited?

How many games do you expect Nintendo to unreasonably reasonably pump out a year?

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

MajinSoul

There was a severe lack of Wii U titles this year, imo. Nevertheless, DKCTF is a masterpiece. Easily my favourite Wii U game right now. Mario Kart 8 is good and way better than MK Wii and MK7. However, they items are totally imbalanced and I still want to see a comeback of the Double Dash mechanics. It looks gorgeous though, and the soundtrack is spot on. As to Hyrule Warriors: I have clocked in over 70 hours so far and thus is my second most played game on Wii U right now (first being Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate). I know that the gameplay is repetitive but it's so much fun. I cannot wait until the DLC is out to spend even more time collecting Heart Pieces and weapons for the new characters.
Smash Wii U can't come soon enough. Hopefully we see more footage after the 3DS version has been released.
Nintendo has to pump out more games in 2015 though, especially with 3rd party support being pretty much dead. I'm really looking forward to Splatoon and TLOZ U

MajinSoul

Nintendo Network ID: UtoKid | Twitter:

Punished_Boss_84

Ryno wrote:

How many games do you expect Nintendo to unreasonably reasonably pump out a year?

Seeing as it is practically all to look forward to within the future, much more than six.

"We could take a s*** on you from such a height, you'd think God himself has crapped on you!" - GTA: SA

Ryno

Punished_Boss wrote:

Ryno wrote:

Seeing as it is practically all to look forward to within the future, much more than six.

How many should Nintendo publish, 10, 15, 20 games a year?

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Punished_Boss_84

Ryno wrote:

How many should Nintendo publish, 10, 15, 20 games a year?

That all depends on how much they cut back 3DS support. Judging by 2015 software efforts for 3DS V Wii U it is indeed at least 10+ for the Wii U for the time being.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.