Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: Color Splash - OT

Posts 901 to 920 of 960

Mister_Wu

This makes me think, how much did the original Paper Mario sell on the Wii U?

Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@Mister_Wu

VC sales data is borderline non-existent. The best we can go by is the top seller charts on the eShop itself (which only lists the “winning“ games, not sales numbers).

In other words, not enough, I'd reckon.

I hope that Nintendo doesn't read these numbers wrong...

(by the way, I actually played the first Paper Mario on the Wii U , until then I had only played TTYD, as I missed it on the N64 and skipped the Wii console altogether)

Mister_Wu

ZaraIsEarly

@Octane Thanks for the response, it sounds like a lot of fun! I might just have to pick it up soon, since I'm quite the fan of the genres you mentioned the game seems to cover.

Toys-to-life is life.

My Nintendo: Zara

meleebrawler

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I'd be MUCH worse off if the first three games had vanished from existence.

I'm just glad Virtual Console and HD remasters are a thing. I'll gladly take either for TYD (although I don't expect Gamecube on VC until NX).

Maybe that'd even be enough to make them reverse course, if they sell well enough.

Ah, hm, I see... developer claims Paper Mario is going lighter on RPG so M&L can focus on them, is considered poor argument by fans who claim there's easily room for both to be deep RPGs. Apply same argument to different styles of Paper Mario, though, and it's perfectly OK, totally not because of personal bias of not caring if a particular style goes away, regardless of any other fans said style does have.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

nf_2

Yeah, this game is super fun. I'm glad I preordered, and I really don't mind if the series continues in this direction. Most of my major complaints I had with Sticker Star are gone or minimized significantly, and there is a lot that this game does really well.

nf_2

3DS Friend Code: 0774-4745-0158 | Nintendo Network ID: Sajak19

meleebrawler

You know, now that I think about it, this game and Sticker Star kind of continue the trail that Super Paper Mario blazed of "existing Mario platformer sprinkled with RPG". Whereas that game used a 2D platformer, Colour Splash is pretty much Paper Mario 3D World (making it's predecessor Paper Mario 3D Land, except that it uses NSMB as a backdrop... bad call).

Colour Splash very much blends the two genres almost seamlessly, creating a game that is very fun and offers an experience not easily replicated by other games. I wouldn't say no to the return of a more traditional Paper Mario, but this game embodies the creative spirit of Nintendo; what other game can claim to be an action-platformer RPG?

Edited on by meleebrawler

kkslider5552000

This is my last complainy post, I promise (unless something really stupid happens). I think the game is as good as people have said lately, I promise.

But if anyone wants to call "screw the hardcore, casual only" on what Nintendo does nowadays, here you go. Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star sold well, completely ignoring that they were early-ish games on more popular platforms than N64 (certainly N64 in 2001) or GCN. Mario and Luigi stays on popular handhelds and people buy the popular brand on the more popular system. Automatic assumption it's because that's what people want, completely ignore everything else ever.

Even trying to think of young kids who might've been introduced to this series through Sticker Star, would they even want this? Even if they did have a Wii U? I'm genuinely asking.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Pokefanmum82

@kkslider5552000 my son has played sticker star and wanted this game.

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

meleebrawler

Not to mention, who's to say that Nintendo, after attracting a bigger casual audience, won't make deeper games as said player's experience increases?

TuVictus

It's Nintendo is the main reason why. Plus, games like this are easier to make. No need for hiring someone to design a bunch of characters, just copy past a bunch of toads and other generic NPC's everywhere. No need to hire a talented writer when it could be bowser stealing peach again while scattering the 6-8 magical doodads over the land.

I don't mean to say Color Splash is bad, it is a huge improvement in setting and writing over Sticker Star, but I definitely do not see them going anywhere closer towards a more RPG-like game in the future. Which I guess is fine, as long as they keep the writing witty and the music good.

TuVictus

JoyBoy

I only played Paper Mario 64 for a while and got sick of the repetive music and the horrible pacing.
This actually looks like something I could enjoy.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Shinion

As someone who only played Super Paper Mario out of the series (well I also tried out Sticker Star shall we say) the 'real proper hardcore' Paper Mario fans have baffled me this year. I've seen lots of vids about TTYD and I'm struggling to grasp how this is heralded so, so highly by the zealot fans that have seemingly come out of nowhere since Colour (I'M CALLING IT THAT NINTENDO DON'T CARE WHAT IS ON THE BOX!) Splash was announced. They formed a very good and entertaining angry mob next to the few F-Zero and Metroid fans.

But yeah TTYD. There's loads of Toads, dare I say 'generic' ones, certainly not as prominent as in this game it seems but still plentiful. Princess Peach of course gets kidnapped. And the turn based battle system looks incredibly basic, so much so that the guy playing the LP I watched made it through the entire game without needing to upgrade Mario's HP once. Not one time. And he wasn't exactly someone who knew the game inside out or anything. And attacks were Mario jumping and using a hammer and the partner Goomba, Koopa and Bob-Omb (well he was a pirate one but still) doing what you'd expect to attack. And attacks were basically just QTEs, press the button at the right time, mash 'A' etc.

I've not gone so far as to spoil the story but come on is it really that special? What I'm hearing in regards to CS makes me think that TTYD is Oscar winning material.

What is it exactly that makes this game miles ahead of the games that came after it for the zealots? I'm hoping once GC emulation is a thing on Nintendo systems I'll be able to try and see for myself but I figured if this is the only negative post about TTYD said in this thread then it helps restore some equilibrium. Somewhat.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

TuVictus

Honestly I kind of hope they just go back to Super Paper Mario style gameplay. If they're so dead set on making it a non-RPG, they should go the full mile and take out the sometimes annoying turn based battles.

TuVictus

kkslider5552000

Pokefanmum82 wrote:

@kkslider5552000 my son has played sticker star and wanted this game.

Oh cool. Obviously, that doesn't automatically prove anything based on a single person's opinion, but at the same time, the fact that someone could and would answer me that quickly makes me think it's likely kids genuinely like the game. Thank you.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

DreamyViridi

Having beaten and almost 100% completed it, (need to get all of the enemy cards, any easy way to go about that?), I can safely say I love it. That is all.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

TuVictus

Is anyone else stuck at like 97% for cherry Lake? I can't find any colorless spots.

Also, there's a hidden square that you can cutout in the hub in front of the dojo that I can't precisely line up. I'm going to assume I'll get an ability for that later

TuVictus

meleebrawler

Be sure to check behind bushes, and don't overlook any part of the bridges.

Octane

@Operative It's pretty annoying at times. I was at 99% for the Blue Beach level, and the only thing I was missing was a little teensy tiny pebble hidden in a corner on a near-white beach.

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.