Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: Color Splash - OT

Posts 541 to 560 of 960

TuVictus

Continue this in the Metroid thread, this one's been derailed long enough

TuVictus

CM30

Operative wrote:

Just to comment on Metroid, FF's art style is most definitely a stylistic choice. 1. It's easier than the realism the franchise usually goes for. 2. Japan absolutely loves chibi art styles for some reason. And considering Metroid doesn't do that well in Japan traditionally, it might have been meant to appeal to them more. When things like Revelations and, well, even Hunters on the DS are possible, the excuse "3DS limits the art style" doesn't fly. It could easily look more traditional styled, but they made a conscious decision to make it cutesy. Which is fair, I guess. Though obviously many people here in the west aren't fans, myself included.

And back to Paper Mario, the director says the story will make us cry. Ignoring the easy joke "yeah it'll make us cry because of how boring it is", it did give me a little bit of hope that it isn't gonna be just "oh no Bowser is back, go get him." Though the abundance of Toads and Sticker Star battle system leaves me very very skeptical. At the very least, it won't be as bad as Sticker Star. So there's that.

The crying thing could be another Kersti style situation. Where the partner has to sacrifice themselves and Nintendo thinks that somehow people will suddenly care about a flat (personality wise) character.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

NintendoFan64

CM30 wrote:

Operative wrote:

Just to comment on Metroid, FF's art style is most definitely a stylistic choice. 1. It's easier than the realism the franchise usually goes for. 2. Japan absolutely loves chibi art styles for some reason. And considering Metroid doesn't do that well in Japan traditionally, it might have been meant to appeal to them more. When things like Revelations and, well, even Hunters on the DS are possible, the excuse "3DS limits the art style" doesn't fly. It could easily look more traditional styled, but they made a conscious decision to make it cutesy. Which is fair, I guess. Though obviously many people here in the west aren't fans, myself included.

And back to Paper Mario, the director says the story will make us cry. Ignoring the easy joke "yeah it'll make us cry because of how boring it is", it did give me a little bit of hope that it isn't gonna be just "oh no Bowser is back, go get him." Though the abundance of Toads and Sticker Star battle system leaves me very very skeptical. At the very least, it won't be as bad as Sticker Star. So there's that.

The crying thing could be another Kersti style situation. Where the partner has to sacrifice themselves and Nintendo thinks that somehow people will suddenly care about a flat (personality wise) character.

I will honestly be (pleasently) surprised if there's any semblance of plot in this game that will be able to make me cry. Plus, you bring up a very good point. If the characters don't have any sort of personality and aren't really all that memorable (ie the overabundance of look-alike Toads in this one), why should I care what happens to them? I mean, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems obviously doesn't care enough to make these characters actual characters, so why should I care?

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Seacliff

@NintendoFan64 So it's either Risa was creating false hype, every play tester has low standards, or both.

Seacliff

Eel

shaneoh wrote:

TheSuperStarSaga wrote:

Metroid Prime HUnters was on the DS, weaker graphical power, but it still had a more realistic non-chibi art style

It also didn't have to render things in 3D, as well as process other players goofing about, the AI, other non-background objects (boxes, ammo, keys etc.)

They built that game around the idea of having impressive graphics (and multiplayer battles) on the DS (apparently mostly to attract an American audience).

I assume with this one, the graphics were designed around the game instead, as usual with Nintendo.

Anyway, why am I talking about metroid in a paper Mario thread? O_o

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

shaneoh

Meowpheel wrote:

Discussing whether Nintendo is attentive to feedback, as well as whether they should be specific about what it is they "want" from a game, or just expect N to psychically know what it is they "want" (hence the Monkey's Paw image).

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

NintendoFan64

@Seacliff Considering some of the stupid things Risa said in interviews ("You want an RPG? Go play Mario & Luigi!"...They should probably stop having her handle the interviews, because it's only making things worse.), I wouldn't be surprised if she's just over-hyping things. Remember, she also said that she wasn't sure if it could be called a proper story, so I'm doubting it'd be able to make me cry.

-Green-

Maybe it'll make you cry tears of sadness and disappointment.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Grumblevolcano

-Red- wrote:

Maybe it'll make you cry tears of sadness and disappointment that the NX is something that exists.

Fixed

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoFan64

Yellowkoopa wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Meowpheel wrote:

Discussing whether Nintendo is attentive to feedback, as well as whether they should be specific about what it is they "want" from a game, or just expect N to psychically know what it is they "want" (hence the Monkey's Paw image).

Of course Nintendo should already know what people want and expect with Metriod and Paper Mario. They made the games.

Quick little reminder that Tabata stated in the GamXplain interview that they knew fans liked the characters, yet they aren't focusing on the characters, for some reason.

shaneoh

Heaven forbid Nintendo try to do something different with their games. But they also better not rehash their games either. Well I'll be going into Colour Splash with an open mind.

Edited on by shaneoh

NintendoFan64

shaneoh wrote:

Heaven forbid Nintendo try to do something different with their games. Well I'll be going into Colour Splash with an open mind.

But this isn't different. This is Sticker Star all over again, which is something we have experience with. And it sucked. Why would we ("we" as in Paper Mario fans) be happy to see something we hated come back? Also, there is nothing wrong with change, but when they change things by getting rid of pretty much everything that people enjoyed about the series in the first place and pretty gave that series it's identity, that's bad. You can barely even consider this a Paper Mario game. The only thing this, Sticker Star and the first three games have in common is that Mario's in it, and everyone's made of paper...that's it.

shaneoh

NintendoFan64 wrote:

But this isn't different. This is Sticker Star all over again, which is something we have experience with. And it sucked. Why would we ("we" as in Paper Mario fans) be happy to see something we hated come back?

It received better than average reviews, sucked is obviously a personal perspective. You're also assuming that all Paper Mario fans disliked Sticker Star, which I doubt is the case. By "we" you mean all those who agree with you. It is different, they're using a different combat system, you get experience points, and from what I understand "more of a story than Sticker Star." Just because they've made one game previously that has perceived similarities to this game, doesn't make it the same.

NintendoFan64

shaneoh wrote:

It received better than average reviews, sucked is obviously a personal perspective.

So did Other M, yet Metroid fans hated that game.

shaneoh wrote:

You're also assuming that all Paper Mario fans disliked Sticker Star, which I doubt is the case. By "we" you mean all those who agree with you.

When did I say that all Paper Mario fans hated Sticker Star? Of course there's going to be at least one person out there who liked it. I as talking about the majority of Paper Mario fans, which, in case you haven't noticed, is a bit pi$$ed. You are putting words into my mouth.

shaneoh wrote:

It is different, they're using a different combat system,

How is the combat system different? The only difference is paint, which does nothing but add ANOTHER limited resource that you have to micro-manage.

shaneoh wrote:

you get experience points,

Yeah, but they don't really matter. Yes, you can upgrade the amount of paint you can carry, but there's an abundance of paint scattered throughout the levels for you to get, and the amount of paint needed for cards doesn't seem to be alot. It's sort of like how the abundance of coins in Sticker Star made earning them in battle pointless. Why would I try to upgrade my paint, when the amount I'm already given is fine? Plus, it doesn't change the fact that you're wasting paint in battles that you could be using elsewhere. Really, you could just avoid the battles altogether and save the paint for when you really need it, and collect the crap-ton of paint in the overworld when you start to run low, without needing to upgrade your amount.

shaneoh wrote:

and from what I understand "more of a story than Sticker Star."

Considering that they were hesitant to call it a "proper story", I will honestly be surprised if the story goes beyond "Bowser did it." Besides, even if there IS a story, why should I care? I mean, the characters are pretty much just lifeless Toads with zero personality, with the only exception being some different-colored Toads that talk differently, so why should I care about what happens to them? If the developers didn't care enough to make them actual characters, why should I care?

shaneoh wrote:

Just because they've made one game previously that has perceived similarities to this game, doesn't make it the same.

There are so many similarities with this one, that we have gone beyond the point of it posibly not being the same. Hell, just look at this:

The events in the footage from the direct when this game was first revealed lines up almost PERFECTLY with Sticker Star's trailer. I know it's bad to judge a book by it's cover, but c'mon!

Eel

You sure that's the trailer for sticker star? Because it switches around quickly and at weird times, kinda as if someone modified it to match.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NintendoFan64

@Meowpheel Hm...don't seem to be finding anything. It looks like it might be a combination of some of Sticker Star's trailers. My mistake. But my other points still stand!

shaneoh

Rather than mess with quotes, I'll answer in bold.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

It received better than average reviews, sucked is obviously a personal perspective.

So did non-Metroid fans. Some Metroid fans liked it, some non-Metroid fans liked it. What relevance does being a fan of a series have?

shaneoh wrote:

You're also assuming that all Paper Mario fans disliked Sticker Star, which I doubt is the case. By "we" you mean all those who agree with you.

When did I say that all Paper Mario fans hated Sticker Star? Of course there's going to be at least one person out there who liked it. I as talking about the majority of Paper Mario fans, which, in case you haven't noticed, is a bit pi$$ed. You are putting words into my mouth.

"We (as in Paper Mario fans)." You use we as a collective, and now you're saying that you speak for most, when really you only speak for yourself

shaneoh wrote:

How is the combat system different? The only difference is paint, which does nothing but add ANOTHER limited resource that you have to micro-manage.

See, different.

shaneoh wrote:

Yeah, but they don't really matter. Yes, you can upgrade the amount of paint you can carry, but there's an abundance of paint scattered throughout the levels for you to get, and the amount of paint needed for cards doesn't seem to be alot. It's sort of like how the abundance of coins in Sticker Star made earning them in battle pointless. Why would I try to upgrade my paint, when the amount I'm already given is fine? Plus, it doesn't change the fact that you're wasting paint in battles that you could be using elsewhere. Really, you could just avoid the battles altogether and save the paint for when you really need it, and collect the crap-ton of paint in the overworld when you start to run low, without needing to upgrade your amount.

Evidently it does matter, as you said Paint is a limited resource, the more you carry, the better.

shaneoh wrote:

Considering that they were hesitant to call it a "proper story", I will honestly be surprised if the story goes beyond "Bowser did it." Besides, even if there IS a story, why should I care? I mean, the characters are pretty much just lifeless Toads with zero personality, with the only exception being some different-colored Toads that talk differently, so why should I care about what happens to them? If the developers didn't care enough to make them actual characters, why should I care?

There it is, the intent to dislike it at all costs. "So what if it has a story, all the characters look the same. So what if all the characters are different, it doesn't have a party system. So what if it has a party system, it won't wipe my backside." Using the same model for non-essential NPCs is not a new thing, it has been going on for a long time

shaneoh wrote:

Just because they've made one game previously that has perceived similarities to this game, doesn't make it the same.

There are so many similarities with this one, that we have gone beyond the point of it posibly not being the same. Hell, just look at this:

The events in the footage from the direct when this game was first revealed lines up almost PERFECTLY with Sticker Star's trailer. I know it's bad to judge a book by it's cover, but c'mon!

Similarities does not equal the same. There are a lot of similarities between Call of Duty 1 & 2, but they're not the same. (To use one example). You can find similarities between anything if you're intent on looking hard enough.

Edited on by shaneoh

NintendoFan64

Okay, rather than quoting, I'll just put what I have to say right underneath the bold.

shaneoh wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

So did non-Metroid fans. Some Metroid fans liked it, some non-Metroid fans liked it. What relevance does being a fan of a series have?
Well, there's the fact that ignoring their issues could result in those fans not buying your product.

shaneoh wrote:

"We (as in Paper Mario fans)." You use we as a collective, and now you're saying that you speak for most, when really you only speak for yourself
Again, I never said that every Paper Mario fan disliked it. You know exactly what I meant. Stop trying to put words in my mouth to help your argument. And I'm pretty sure I was speaking for most, because I think it's pretty safe to say that the majority of people didn't really like Sticker Star that much, given the reaction to Color Splash, and the fact that pretty much every discussion involving Paper Mario has the majority of people saying that Sticker Star was the worst. Plus, considering that a while ago Gamestop had enough used copies to sell for just 10 bucks a pop, it doesn't set a very good image as to how people felt towards the game.

shaneoh wrote:

See, different.

But other than that one detail (which actually makes things worse by adding yet another limited resource, might I add), it's pretty much the same thing.

shaneoh wrote:

Evidently it does matter, as you said Paint is a limited resource, the more you carry, the better.

But, again, there is paint scattered everywhere, so running out shouldn't really be a problem.

shaneoh wrote:

There it is, the intent to dislike it at all costs. "So what if it has a story, all the characters look the same. So what if all the characters are different, it doesn't have a party system. So what if it has a party system, it won't wipe my backside." Using the same model for non-essential NPCs is not a new thing, it has been going on for a long time

You just missed the whole point of my argument. If the characters are pretty much lifeless, lack any sort of personality, aren't the least bit memorable or engaging, or are pretty much interchangeable, I'm not going to give a crap about them. And yes, lots of games do reuse models for npcs, but nearly every single characters, with maybe one or two exceptions? Also, "So what if it has a party system?" WHAT PARTY SYSTEM!? The enemy cards? Are those supposed to be our "partners" in this game? Because they don't really count. You can only use them once, you can't decide what they do, you can't use them in the overworld, they don't have personality, they can't level up, and you can't even use them during boss battles. They are pretty much glorified meat shields.

shaneoh wrote:

Similarities does not equal the same. There are a lot of similarities between Call of Duty 1 & 2, but they're not the same. (To use one example). You can find similarities between anything if you're intent on looking hard enough.

There's having similarities, and then there's looking nearly identical.

shaneoh

I'll just bold my reply under your replies to my previously bolded replies.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Well, there's the fact that ignoring their issues could result in those fans not buying your product. Also, a point I forgot to make is that just because critics liked something doesn't mean everyone does.
Then there is fixing those issues, which could result in fans not buying your product. Whatever you do, you're not going to please everyone. I also wasn't speaking just about critics, but general reception as a whole.

shaneoh wrote:

Again, I never said that every Paper Mario fan disliked it. You know exactly what I meant. Stop trying to put words in my mouth to help your argument. And I'm pretty sure I was speaking for most, because I think it's pretty safe to say that the majority of people didn't really like Sticker Star that much, given the reaction to Color Splash, and the fact that pretty much every discussion involving Paper Mario has the majority of people saying that Sticker Star was the worst. Plus, considering that a while ago Gamestop had enough used copies to sell for just 10 bucks a pop, it doesn't set a very good image as to how people felt towards the game.
I'm not putting words in your mouth, this is something you've typed: "And I'm pretty sure I was speaking for most." You're literally saying you're speaking for a large group of people, when really you are only speaking for a dissatisfied, whiny, minority. Are Chairperson for the "I hate Sticker Star" organisation?

shaneoh wrote:

See, different.

But other than that one detail (which actually makes things worse by adding yet another limited resource, might I add), it's pretty much the same thing.

Other than the ways it is different, it is the same. I see...

shaneoh wrote:

But, again, there is paint scattered everywhere, so running out shouldn't really be a problem.

Unless you're halfway through a battle.

shaneoh wrote:

You just missed the whole point of my argument. If the characters are pretty much lifeless, lack any sort of personality, aren't the least bit memorable or engaging, or are pretty much interchangeable, I'm not going to give a crap about them. And yes, lots of games do reuse models for npcs, but nearly every single characters, with maybe one or two exceptions? Also, "So what if it has a party system?" WHAT PARTY SYSTEM!? The enemy cards? Are those supposed to be our "partners" in this game? Because they don't really count. You can only use them once, you can't decide what they do, you can't use them in the overworld, they don't have personality, they can't level up, and you can't even use them during boss battles. They are pretty much glorified meat shields.

Well my party comment is pretty much me saying why you'll never be satisfied, because you're intent on disliking the game. I completely forgot about the assist cards, isn't that new to this series as well? As for your NPC complaint, you are still describing every single non-relevant NPC in every single RPG. They just sit there, reciting the same line over and over. You're not supposed to care about every single character in the world. We've seen very little in the way of interactions between Mario game game progressing NPCs.

shaneoh wrote:

Glad you agree, now when they decide to do a literal Sticker Star HD, I'll agree that they are pretty much identical.

[/quote]

NintendoFan64

shaneoh wrote:

I'll just bold my reply under your replies to my previously bolded replies.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Well, there's the fact that ignoring their issues could result in those fans not buying your product. Also, a point I forgot to make is that just because critics liked something doesn't mean everyone does.
Then there is fixing those issues, which could result in fans not buying your product. Whatever you do, you're not going to please everyone. I also wasn't speaking just about critics, but general reception as a whole.
Reception was also rather negative. It started off great because, hey! It's a new Paper Mario! What's not to like? But then people started playing through the game, and they started noticing problems, and the novelty started to wear off.

shaneoh wrote:

I'm not putting words in your mouth, this is something you've typed: "And I'm pretty sure I was speaking for most." You're literally saying you're speaking for a large group of people, when really you are only speaking for a dissatisfied, whiny, minority. Are Chairperson for the "I hate Sticker Star" organisation?
I highly doubt we're in the minority. I mean, the amount of hate for this game and Sticker is a bit larger than those who support the two.

shaneoh wrote:

See, different.

Other than the ways it is different, it is the same. I see...

But it still has the same issues as before with resource-based attacks.

shaneoh wrote:

Unless you're halfway through a battle.
But why would I battle if it'll just get rid of paint that I could use elsewhere when I really need it? See, this is the same problem that Sticker Star had with the Stickers: if it's just gonna get rid of resources that you could use elsewhere, why even bother? And before you bring up increasing your paint meter, again, there is paint scattered everywhere, so running out shouldn't be a problem. Why should I upgrade it when the amount I have is already enough?

shaneoh wrote:

Well my party comment is pretty much me saying why you'll never be satisfied, because you're intent on disliking the game. I completely forgot about the assist cards, isn't that new to this series as well? As for your NPC complaint, you are still describing every single non-relevant NPC in every single RPG. They just sit there, reciting the same line over and over. You're not supposed to care about every single character in the world. We've seen very little in the way of interactions between Mario game game progressing NPCs.
But it's not just npcs, it's every. Single. Character. The only exceptions I can think of are Mario, Peach, Huey, and the enemies. Hell, even reused-models for npcs in other games have more variety than this!

shaneoh wrote:

Glad you agree, now when they decide to do a literal Sticker Star HD, I'll agree that they are pretty much identical.
OH MY GOD. Are you seriously still at this!? For God's sake, it uses the same battle system, it only uses Toads for characters, the closest thing you have to a partner is based around the game's gimmicks, you need a specific thing to make a boss beatable, it is absolutely littered with Sticker Star elements! We are well beyond the point that it might not just be Sticker Star 2!

[/quote]

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.