Forums

Topic: Nintendo making us pay AGAIN for virtual console titles we have already purchased years ago **** WARNING: I'M UPSET ****

Posts 441 to 460 of 467

Sean_Aaron

Bankai wrote:

I love how people who don use a service assume the no one would have a use for it. Unlike Nintendo at least Sony and Microsoft give people the option to use it.

I'm not saying people wouldn't have a use for it. I accept that for many the fact that the 3DS also can play MP3s is great as is the ability to stream NetFlix (FYI Australia isn't the entire world ;P) on your Wii U. What I'm saying is these are systems that play games and the primary reason anyone should have for buying them is the game software on them. I find it very hard to believe that among the general console-buying public the ability to stream movies would be a significant factor in deciding whether or not to buy a games console - that just seems bizarre

But I think this thread has been derailed enough for now. Feel free to point out that - in Australia - the lack of a movie streaming service makes the Wii U less competitive than Xbox and PS3 and that therefore people who are being totally ripped off by Nintendo's "disgusting" request for 99p for games they already bought on the Wii have an even bigger reason to jump ship.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

SCRAPPER392

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Bankai wrote:

I love how people who don use a service assume the no one would have a use for it. Unlike Nintendo at least Sony and Microsoft give people the option to use it.

I'm not saying people wouldn't have a use for it. I accept that for many the fact that the 3DS also can play MP3s is great as is the ability to stream NetFlix (FYI Australia isn't the entire world ;P) on your Wii U. What I'm saying is these are systems that play games and the primary reason anyone should have for buying them is the game software on them. I find it very hard to believe that among the general console-buying public the ability to stream movies would be a significant factor in deciding whether or not to buy a games console - that just seems bizarre

But I think this thread has been derailed enough for now. Feel free to point out that - in Australia - the lack of a movie streaming service makes the Wii U less competitive than Xbox and PS3 and that therefore people who are being totally ripped off by Nintendo's "disgusting" request for 99p for games they already bought on the Wii have an even bigger reason to jump ship.

Ya, video streaming services didn't even become 'cool' until all the game consoles did it, then all the easily distracted gamers started watching Netfil/Hulu Plus instead of playing games. Haha. That's at least what I saw from alot of people, and I'm not saying you guys got distracted... I still have the Netflix discs for Wii and PS3 from when they didn't have the app yet. Media besides video games shouldn't really be the key factor to buying a game console. My parents bought a bluray/streaming device that does everything PS3/Xbox 360 does and more, EXCEPT play games.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Kyloctopus

Is anyone else wondering if all systems will be ported. I'm sure SEGA would like to, but what about the Virtual Console Arcade, and the Neo Geo?

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

SCRAPPER392

Kyloctopus wrote:

Is anyone else wondering if all systems will be ported. I'm sure SEGA would like to, but what about the Virtual Console Arcade, and the Neo Geo?

I think they said all will be eventually, but they'll be updating it gradually.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

DefHalan

Kyloctopus wrote:

I am sure they will bring those systems later but Nintendo is going to focus on NES and SNES for now, I mean they didn't even talk about N64 yet. Once they get the process nailed down so they can upgrade games faster then they will be looking into doing it for the other systems on VC and beyond.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

LzWinky

Kyloctopus wrote:

How dare you change the topic!!! >:[

Also, I dunno. If Nintendo's doing the coding, then maybe

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Sean_Aaron

Kyloctopus wrote:

TG16! TG-16!

SpentAllMyTokens

I just hope once they get going, they don't trickle out releases like they did with the Wii- I don't want to wait 5 years to upgrade Majora's Mask because they're saving it for the 300th game and they're releasing games 1/week (though, they obviously have the bandwidth to release games faster, like they did in the early days of the Wii).

I honestly don't mind paying $1-$2 to upgrade the titles. While I do think the Wii versions were overpriced (If games cost more in the $3-$5 range, I would have picked up so many more as impulse buys), we are getting some pretty big features we didn't get on Wii - like save states and gamepad only play. Gamepad only play is so crucial to me. I'll get a lot more use out of single player VC games with it, and games that were designed with SD sets in mind will look far better on the 480p gamepad than my HDTV. That and not having to go into the Wii menu are worth the extra cost to me.

I just wish they would link the 3DS and WiiU eShops, so that if I had a game on one system, I could get it for free (or highly discounted, at least) on the other like PSN does. Hopefully, Nintendo will be a bit smarter now that they've had to do one transition and the next console will be more compatible - so they won't need to re-emulate every game.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

Gamesake

Token_Girl wrote:

I honestly don't mind paying $1-$2 to upgrade the titles. While I do think the Wii versions were overpriced (If games cost more in the $3-$5 range, I would have picked up so many more as impulse buys)

Same here. They really should have cut the VC prices in half. $5 is too much for a NES game. But competitive prices would go against the company's perceived value dogma.

...in my pants.

Auracle

To those who believe that VC games are overpriced, I have a proverb to share:
Untitled

I foresee what you'll do there.
-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

brooks83

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Kyloctopus wrote:

TG16! TG-16!

I would be very upset if TG16 is not supported this time around. I guess it all depends on Konami.

brooks83

Sean_Aaron

Konami gave the Wii much love for WiiWare and VC (though I'd like to have seen some arcade games, but they only treated us to ports SIGH much like Nintendo themselves - see Donkey Kong) so I'm confident we'll see it.

I too hope to see releases happen more quickly. I would expect that for games that don't have much in the way of special controls we would see speedy roll-outs once they've determined the emulators are in good order and things test well. I suppose they could mollify people by including previously unreleased games side-by-side with previous releases.

Certainly there's no marketing advantage to dribbling them out because the primary audience will know what they're getting already, though I think the Virtual Console will need a separate eShop page to prevent new download-only games getting pushed to the side for mouldy oldies which would likely tick-off their re-made indie developer friends.

Hopefully the full launch in spring will be full of happy surprises for all!

DefHalan

Surprisingly there is a marketing advantage to releasing them weekly rather than all at once. If they release them weekly then your audience can anticipate next week's releases. It also takes time to implement the new features and make sure they are fully functional. This takes programing time, design time, art time and QA time. Sometimes people think it is as easy as cut and paste to implement a new feature but you never know what piece of code is going to ruin everything. Releasing them weekly will allow both making sure these features are fully functional and marketing so they can build anticipation for other titles, like how they released Metroid and Super Metroid the weeks before Metroid Prime 3 was released.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

ClassicJetterz

So don't get them. Simple. Play it in Wii Mode.

You're blinded by romance, you're blinded by science...
Your condition is critically grave...but don't expect mercy from such an alliance..
Suspicion of tradition's so new wave!

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0397-4153 | Nintendo Network ID: ClassicJetterz

SKTTR

KaiserGX wrote:

I have, but that's because I didn't have a Gameboy lol. Well I borrowed the Super Gameboy. Wanted to play Kirby's Dreamland 2 really badly. I liked drawing on the screen. But when it comes to VC, I want the originals.

Super Game Boy is an original. And it looked good on the TV, better than on the GB itself, with colors and stereo etc.
Personally I'd rather play Game Boy games on the TV screen, or at least have the option to play them in Super Game Boy mode on the TV or in Game Boy mode on the Wii U GamePad.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Obywan

I was pissed off (and still am a little) at paying even more than newcomers, but here's a positive way to look at it:
We get coins from Club Nintendo for both versions, and we can keep playing our Wii versions til Nintendo dribble feeds us the Wii U versions.

Counting that 3 of the VC games I already own are part of the 30 cents promo and assuming N64 games will cost $2 to upgrade the total I'll have (Well, I dont HAVE to but you get the point) to pay is $52.90.

While I'm not happy, it'll be easier to swallow when you realize you won't be able to upgrade everything at once, and that it might be quite a while before we get some of these back up on the Wii U like the N64 ones.

Now what would really suck is if you're a newcomer who bought old VC games on their Wii U and now they're being asked to pay extra for something they already payed for and costs the same. Not only that, but they got no Club Nintendo coins because the Wii Shop doesnt have that setting on a Wii U.
I feel sorry for anyone in this position.

Obywan

Twitter:

KaiserGX

SKTTR wrote:

KaiserGX wrote:

I have, but that's because I didn't have a Gameboy lol. Well I borrowed the Super Gameboy. Wanted to play Kirby's Dreamland 2 really badly. I liked drawing on the screen. But when it comes to VC, I want the originals.

Super Game Boy is an original. And it looked good on the TV, better than on the GB itself, with colors and stereo etc.
Personally I'd rather play Game Boy games on the TV screen, or at least have the option to play them in Super Game Boy mode on the TV or in Game Boy mode on the Wii U GamePad.

Not all Game Boy games were compatible. I mean I want the original versions, on what they were originally released on. All the Super Game Boy is, is a blown up Gameboy.

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

MarioKenny1992

Obywan wrote:

Now what would really suck is if you're a newcomer who bought old VC games on their Wii U and now they're being asked to pay extra for something they already payed for and costs the same. Not only that, but they got no Club Nintendo coins because the Wii Shop doesnt have that setting on a Wii U.

this - at least you only pay a dollar, and that's it. if you don't like the deal, just play either the original cartridge form or on Wii mode

"I almost feel sorry for you knowing you can't enjoy Call of Duty, and that your taste in video games is so ****. But the fact that you don't like call of duty makes me fell zero simpathy for u." - MonkeyGameGuides, also known as Monk Monk

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1302-5737 | Nintendo Network ID: SuperMarioKenny

SKTTR

KaiserGX wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

KaiserGX wrote:

Not all Game Boy games were compatible. I mean I want the original versions, on what they were originally released on. All the Super Game Boy is, is a blown up Gameboy.

All Game Boy games were compatible. Which weren't? The only one's that weren't compatible were much later, Game Boy Color games (even though some GBC games were still compatible with SGB).

There were lots of Game Boy games made especially with the Super Game Boy in mind.

Just think of all the Super Game Boy fighting games (Street Fighter II, Battle Arena Toshinden, Killer Instinct, World Heroes 2 Jet, The King of Fighters '95, Samurai Showdown, etc.), you could play with two SNES controllers on one TV screen.
If you played them on Game Boy, you needed two Game Boys, two of the same game, and a Link Cable.

What about Super Game Boy games Donkey Kong Land 1, 2 ,3. Their pre-rendered style wasn't a good fit on the classic old screen.
The details (especially the blurryness on the fast scrolling) were easier on the eye - a non-issue - on the Super Game Boy.

I always prefered Super Game Boy over the old Game Boy. The Game Boy can only show 4 colors and run in mono, but the Super Game Boy added extra features like in Donkey Kong and Animaniacs that had up to 16 colors (maybe more?) on a single screen, and stereo sound that could also play voice samples or an enhanced soundtrack. (Many games suddenly looked and sounded better than NES games.)
And the curiosity that is the Super Game Boy game Space Invaders, that can switch to an exclusive, full screen SNES mode.

Other than that my most memorable Game Boy moments were dedicated Super Game Boy games running on the Super Game Boy: Kirby's Dreamland 2, Adventures of Lolo, Mario's Picross, Kirby's Block Ball, Pokémon, Tetris Attack, Dragon Warrior Monsters, Wario Blast, Harvest Moon, Game Boy Gallery, etc., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Game_Boy_games , etc.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.