Forums

Topic: Is it important that every next gen release runs at 1080p and 60 fps?

Posts 21 to 40 of 102

DudeSean

I think it's important to the people with really good tv sets / monitors. They spent the extra money on the better quality screen and would like for games and movies to support the screen that they have. It's the same reason HD became standard.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

HawkeyeWii

Here is my say in the matter. If you have a game and can clearly see it on your television and it plays well, and most importantly you have fun playing it... That is all that matters.
Videogames are for fun, that is why I am a Nintendo fan,

Friend Code 3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter:

Magikarp3

From a purely technical standpoint yes, if all the next gen consoles are capable of putting out 60fps 1080p games then developers should be expected to meet this benchmark.

In terms of personal preference, I can't really tell the difference. In fact, the first time I saw something in 60fps I thought it looked weird just because it was almost too smooth. I'd been too accustomed to films in 30fps and so 60fps got tossed right into the uncanny valley. Plus, if a game was excellent and yet was in a lower resolution, I wouldn't mind in the slightest. Sure, the same game couldn't possibly be worse for being in a higher definition, but I won't dislike a game just because the quality isn't as good as it could be.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

DefHalan

Games were running at 60 FPS way before Xbox 360 or PS3. This "Next-Generation" isn't going to change anything. Some games will be 60 FPS and some will be lower

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

OptometristLime

Ryno wrote:

Yes, in 2014 and beyond every game should be 1080p, 60 FPS.

Because graphical horsepower is the defining feature of this generation and beyond---

Compelling gameplay, and budget considerations? Secondary.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

JetForceSetGrind

1080p/30 FPS is perfectly acceptable to me.
As far as 720p/30 even if the graphics are REALLY REALLY amazing.

For Wii U I'm only really expecting 720/30 and 720/60.

Console games that go 1080/60 take too many shortcuts to get there and end up looking horrible, not worth it.

Edited on by JetForceSetGrind

JetForceSetGrind

moomoo

Most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p unless if they have massive screens or are really close to them, so I don't think that needs to be a standard.

As for framerate, unless if it's something like Dead Rising 3, where you've got an immense amount of things on screen at once, all doing their own thing, and each one being unique, then yes, we should aim for 60 fps.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

GuSolarFlare

^yup that's exactly the reason I think smaller devices like Smartphones and Handhelds don't need to go all the way up to 1080(heck, maybe even 720p is a little too much for those)

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Wheeler

CountWavula wrote:

ShadowFox254 wrote:

Fighting games should always be 60 FPS.

aside from racers, so should Sidescrollers. on HDTV's anything running in 30fps causes frame doubling and it looks awful. Giena sisters, the new Castle of illusion and Trine 2 look like crap in motion. The developers thought that adding more visual detail and the like was more important than a 60fps frame rate that's been standard for almost every sidescroller in the SpookyVerse. Sidescrollers should NEVER be at 30fps.

Kirby's epic yarn, Wario Land Shake it and Return to dream leand OBLITERATE Giena sisters, Trine 2 and castle of illusions visuals. Nintendo is extremely hard to top when it comes to pure art direction, and their games always(as in 95% of the time) run in 60fps because they KNOW how important it is.

Yes, Nintendo knows how to achieve a solid frame rate.

Wheeler

CThrash13

BanjoThreeie wrote:

Console games that go 1080/60 take too many shortcuts to get there and end up looking horrible, not worth it.

I'm pretty sure Mario Kart 8 will be 1080/60, and that game looks absolutely amazing so far! There really isn't any reason gaming companies can't get games 1080/60 in this new generation of consoles, but like others have said, some will and some won't. But looking at Mario Kart 8, it's obvious it can be done and done well.

CThrash13

Twitter:

GuSolarFlare

Thrash13 wrote:

BanjoThreeie wrote:

I'm pretty sure Mario Kart 8 will be 1080/60, and that game looks absolutely amazing so far! There really isn't any reason gaming companies can't get games 1080/60 in this new generation of consoles, but like others have said, some will and some won't. But looking at Mario Kart 8, it's obvious it can be done and done well.

I think he meant games that forcibly go 1080/60(or so I hope)

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Phatosaurus

The generation that 60FPS truly becomes the standard will be the same decade that gameplay truly takes precedence over graphics.

I doubt it'll ever happen though, consoles are stuck in a bit of rut. They start out strong with developers showing off the consoles "grunt" by releasing games running at 60FPS. Then over time they start leaning towards better graphics so they cut corners on the frame rate.
It happened with the PS2, many of the early titles (MGS2 in particular) were 60FPS, then towards the end of the consoles lifespan the frame rates dropped to 30~FPS (For instance, MGS3).

I can see the same happening with the gen 8 consoles. I would actually put money on it.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

JetForceSetGrind

moomoo wrote:

Most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p unless if they have massive screens or are really close to them, so I don't think that needs to be a standard.

Myth...

That said, I'd prefer amazing graphics over 1080p/60 if it came down to it any day of the week.

Edited on by JetForceSetGrind

JetForceSetGrind

JetForceSetGrind

Thrash13 wrote:

BanjoThreeie wrote:

Nope, 720/60 almost certainly but we'll have to wait for release before we know for sure. Wind Waker HD was 1080/30 btw and Smash is a fighting game that will be 1080/60, not really comparable.

JetForceSetGrind

johnvboy

CountWavula wrote:

YES. 60fps should be the standard, and for dudes like me that are sitting 11 feet away from a 1080p 60" plasma, 1080p is a must. They say the optimal viewing distance for 720p on a 60" set is 12 feet away eye distance wise....I'm 1 foot too close. 1080p? The optimal viewing distance is '8' feet. that's way too close for my tastes when it comes to film. I guess for certain video games be it first person shooter/adventure or whatever it may come in handy, and offer an even greater sense of immersion, but again for movies? hell no. I can't be bothered to sit any close than 11" from a 60" Heck 10 would be overkill.

No the correct distance should be the width and a half of your screen.

" Never argue with an idiot,all they will do is bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"

My AC:NH Island: Evietania
Switch Username: Johnvboy

Switch Friend Code SW-8223-9981-3607

kkslider5552000

if I start caring about numbers so much, that will be a good sign for me that I need to stop playing games

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Metroidlink

BanjoThreeie wrote:

Say that to Wind Waker HD, Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 which all run at 1080p 60 fps

Currently playing:
Pokemon X
Bravely Default
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
The metrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 1676-3777-0646 | Nintendo Network ID: Metrolink

19Robb92

60fps would be very nice. A steady framerate is important for me. I can live without 1080p though.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

Phatosaurus

Metroidlink wrote:

BanjoThreeie wrote:

Say that to Wind Waker HD, Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 which all run at 1080p 60 fps

WWHD and 3D World run at 30FPS...and one of those games is an upscaled Gabecube game.
Not sure on Mario Kart 8 but I believe it's 60FPS. Not sure on the resolution.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

ThePirateCaptain

@Phatosaurus
I believe Mario Kart 8 is 1080p and runs at 60FPS.

To be honest, I don't think the difference between 720p and 1080p is that huge. There is a slight difference, but depending on your gaming setup, you may not even be able to see it. I do think that games should try for 60FPS though, it's very nice to have games that run smoothly.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.