Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 2,681 to 2,700 of 4,839

the_shpydar

Tasuki wrote:

I usually bought my NES games from Toys R Us using the old ticket method if anyone remembers that.

Ha, yes! I remember how depressing it would be when the most awesome and desired games would be there on display on the wall, but all the tickets would be gone because it was sold out. Such a tease!

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

I usually bought my NES games from Toys R Us using the old ticket method if anyone remembers that.

Ha, yes! I remember how depressing it would be when the most awesome and desired games would be there on display on the wall, but all the tickets would be gone because it was sold out. Such a tease!

i actually helped when they took that ticket booth down back in the day. i used to be one of the guys in charge of that department....oooh the hook ups

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

StarBoy91

@Ryno - Pocky & Rocky is such a fun arcade-like SNES game, and it's always fun to play once in awhile! I like the challenge in it as well, and it's charming too. Not to mention its got great music and rapid fire controls as well. The direct sequel Pocky & Rocky 2 isn't so bad either, but the first one will always be the best in my book.

To each their own

Tasuki

@the_shpydar:
@ogo79:

Man I remember the excitement I would get when I would grab a ticket take to the register pay for it. Then you would take it around the corner (at least at the Toys R Us I went too) give the ticket to a guy behind the counter at which point he would go into a little room for a few seconds after which he would come out with the game in hand. Such a magical feeling lol.

I remember one of the tactics my brother and I would do if there was a game we really wanted but didnt have the money for it we would take all the tickets thinking that will stop people from buying the game. Little did we know that we probably weren't the only ones who did that I am sure so Toys R Us would probably just print some more up when they noticed they were empty lol.

I think the last two games I bought with that ticket method was TMNT III and Mega Man 4 on the NES.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

ogo79

Tasuki wrote:

@the_shpydar:
@ogo79:

I remember one of the tactics my brother and I would do if there was a game we really wanted but didnt have the money for it we would take all the tickets thinking that will stop people from buying the game. Little did we know that we probably weren't the only ones who did that I am sure so Toys R Us would probably just print some more up when they noticed they were empty lol.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Tasuki

@Waveboy: Yeah I usually got games for Christmas especially one year when I got like 5 NES games and 3 Gameboy games, but for my birthday I would get money so I would then head down to Toys R Us and get a game with it along with some TMNT figures. It was kinda funny that the isle that had the tickets for the NES games had the TMNT action Figures on the other side.

Back to my birthday thought now that I think about it the only game related stuff I would get on my birthday were those crappy Tiger Electronic Watches from a relative that knew that I like video games but didn't know what a video game was. I had a whole drawer full of them that I finally gave to Goodwill about 15 years ago.

My Backlog

KingMike

Ryno wrote:

KingMike wrote:

Quote GameStop guy when I bought mine "What the h is this?"

Like bought it recenlty or back in the 90's when it came out? Did they have Gamestop back then even? Did you tell him it was awesome game that he probably couldn't get past the first level?

Something like 2003. Though it is loose with a Blockbuster sticker on the back.
He was probably a dudebro. I don't think CoD was out yet, so I guess that would mean like Madden, Halo and GTA. He may have actually said the f word, I forget but either way it was awesome.

I can remember when GameStop was some obscure retailer I never heard of in a little corner of the mall. Software Etc, Babbagee's, Electronics Boutique (or EB Games, once they decided needed hipper branding) and Funco(Land) were bigger names. Not kidding about GameStop, circa 1992 even Captron had more advertising! (at first they were some booth at the mall until they disappeared, still saw their ads in magazines for another year or so. I read somewhere they got bought out by Capcom at some point, who thought it was a brilliant idea to offer gameplay advice without realizing what sort of commitment it would take to do that.)

KingMike

Ryno

@Tasuki: Haha… I have fond memories of the Toys R Us ticket method. I can still remember getting WWF Royal Rumble, TMNT IV, Street Fighter II Turbo that way like it was yesterday! Like Shpy said, that was the worst when they were out of tags.

@Waveboy: I will say this, I got P&R CIB for under $100 including the poster, and reg card. Anything made by Natsume is only going up and up like the shuttle service in the Party Wagon! Man, that Chuck E Cheese promo is creepy, looks like some Texas Chanisaw Massacre type stuff. I never heard of Spike McFang until recently after seeing it go for some relatively high prices a couple of times on Ebay. I finally looked into it, seems pretty quirky cool so I found one for a “fair” price and snatched one up faster the Sega releases a add-on to the Genesis.

@WanderFan91: Yeah, Pocky & Rocky is a blast and I agree the music is great! I would love to get the sequel, just waiting to find one for the right price.

@Tasuki and @Waveboy: You guys were some lazy kids. I had a paper route so I could afford to buy a NES and SNES game every 3-4 months

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

ogo79

Ryno wrote:

@Tasuki and @Waveboy: You guys were some lazy kids. I had a paper route so I could afford to buy a NES and SNES every 3-4 months

the_shpydar wrote:

RancidVomit86

Garage sale pick ups today. $1 each.

Untitled

Plus I got a Bose Acoustimass 15 for $10 that some old lady thought the sub was a computer.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Ryno

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Garage sale pick ups today. $1 each.
Plus I got a Bose Acoustimass 15 for $10 that some old lady thought the sub was a computer.

Aww yeah, it's the beginning of garage sale season!

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Ryno

WaveBoy wrote:

Look, more proof.
Untitled

You should start up a kickstarter for a Paperboy Remake in HD that includes getting chased by killer Turtles Pie's.

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

KingMike

I saw James Rolfe's video last week when he played Paperbuy 64. He said the last time sometime tried to make a Paperboy game it sold so bad he wonders if it's a viable franchise anymore.

KingMike

the_shpydar

WaveBoy wrote:

KingMike wrote:

I saw James Rolfe's video last week when he played Paperbuy 64. He said the last time sometime tried to make a Paperboy game it sold so bad he wonders if it's a viable franchise anymore.

It isn't viable unless it's full of guns, explosions, mech-dudes, knives, hookers, Brown & Grey color schemes, bloated 30-minute cut scenes, unchallenging kindergarten game play, check points every 15 minutes, hand holding a plenty' and lots of gushy & goopy blood for all of the kiddies to enjoy.
This isn't even a joke.lol If mario kart 8 doesn't explode in sales, than we're all doooooomed. There's no hope for colorful whimsical 'gameplay first' titles anymore.

Oh, stop. You're not going to turn this thread into a "Waveboy hates all modern games" thread.
Otherwise, no Golden Corral for you!

The Shpydarloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Tasuki

Ryno wrote:

@Tasuki and @Waveboy: You guys were some lazy kids. I had a paper route so I could afford to buy a NES and SNES game every 3-4 months

Well sadly my parents wouldn't let me get a job they were afraid it would take too much from my school studies. Even though I begged and pleaded and tried to make a deal with them. About the best I could do was chores around the house for a bit of money or mow my grandparents lawn. Let me tell you that sucked big time cause it seemed I never had enough money compared to the other kids in my school.

My Backlog

edhe

I've set aside my quest to buy every sports game on the SNES and MD (/sarcasm), and picked up something interesting. Touted as SEGA's other answer to Zelda, Soleil (A.K.A Crusader of Centy as it's known in North America) for the Mega Drive. Interestingly, the developers are still about, and are responsible for Crimson Shroud and Rental Bukiya de Omasse for the 3DS eShop.

Otherwise, I've since picked up European Club Soccer for the Mega Drive and Super Soccer for the SNES (I ultimately aim to get International Superstar Soccer Deluxe - THE best football game ever made in my opinion), Super Tennis and Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy.

In a previous post in another thread, I also revealed I bought Exhaust Heat for the SNES.

I very much look forward to playing them - ONCE I get my Retron 5 (which may take a while since preorders are sold out everywhere).

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

RancidVomit86

Untitled

My favorite price of free. Got them from an estate sale and lady just said I could have them.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

RancidVomit86

@WaveBoy Is getting framed along with all my Sega posters. Creases suck but it's no easy task to come across these in mint condition.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Let's Go Buffalo!

the_shpydar

The latest Atari update from your Friendly Neighborhood Shpydarman:
Untitled
Combat (with instructions)
Street Racer
Indy 500

All common games, but as you may notice, these are more of the 1977 launch version variants. Just need 3 more games and i'll have the complete set of 2600 launch titles (it's only 9 games — and I actually technically have all the games, just not their actual launch version variants).

My next update will be a delicious one, once it arrives ...

The Shpydarloggery

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic