Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 341 to 360 of 585

DTMOF84

@gcunit changing it out for a blue LED. My plan was to add the LED to the controller ports too. I thought it looked cool. But I don't know that I'll actually go forward with it. The GameCube I just got came from eBay. It was a little beat up looking at first. The jewel cover on top was bad. But I've restored it fairly well. Can't see any scratches without really looking for them. Cleaned up the shell pretty good too. Can barely see any marks on it now. So since I have it looked close to new, I might not do the controller port lights. But the blue power light will still be a go.

@ThanosReXXX from what I've seen in reviews the Carby uses the same open source program for the video. GC Video I believe it is. The Pluto and Carby both use it at least.

Edited on by DTMOF84

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

ThanosReXXX

@DTMOF84 I honestly wouldn't even be able to tell you anything about the software, but I do know that the EON GCHD uses some higher quality components, and that it has more options, and there's a few other (maybe subtle) differences. The price alone should tell you enough, though: it's almost twice as expensive as the Carby, so if it would be the exact same thing but in another shell, then it would basically be a HUGE rip-off.

Which, by the way, it isn't because the EON GCHD also comes out of most, if not all, reviews VERY well.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

DTMOF84

@ThanosReXXX I found this review video on the CARBY. He mentions that all of the adaptors basically use the same software like I mentioned. I think I'll get one for sure. Its so blurry playing these games on my TV that it hurts to look at.

Edited on by DTMOF84

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

ThanosReXXX

@DTMOF84 Yeah, unfortunately, many old consoles just don't look good on modern TVs, especially since besides going higher and higher in resolution, they also have considerably bigger screens. Nowadays, 50" is already considered medium/small, whereas in the old CRT days, we would have a 40" screen and that would be considered massive.

I've installed all my GameCube games on the external hard drive of my modded Wii, which I've got connected to my Full HD plasma screen (42" Panasonic Viera) through gold-plated component cables, so they already look pretty good to me, but if this TV needs to be replaced, and it's actually not that far from that point, then I'll consider getting an HD upscaler myself as well, but until that time, I'm good with the solution that I've got.

EDIT:
Not too surprising that they use the same software, actually, if you think about it. Why not use what works? Otherwise, they'd have to invent something new from scratch. In the case of these two adapters, it's simply a matter of what you're willing to spend in order to get the result that you want, because obviously, the more expensive of the two will either yield better results in picture quality because of the more expensive components, or because of that, it will last longer. Either way, both are good solutions for connecting a GameCube to a modern TV.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

DTMOF84

The GC Loader PNP is going to be high on the mod list now. That thing sounds amazing. I don't know when the first one came out that you had to solder. Spawn Wave had a good video of his ultimate GameCube build and used one. But the plug and play version is as simple as taking it apart and pulling the DVD drive off and inserting the GC Loader. If for whatever reason you want to revert back to original the DVD is easily placed back in. Seems like a no brainer for a mod.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

gcunit

DTMOF84 wrote:

Seems like a no brainer for a mod.

Not for me, I don't think. There's already enough options for me to run GameCube games from an HDD, either via Nintendont on Wii U, or using Dolphin on PC. My GameCubes are for getting that authentic disc loading and spinning experience, and regularly using that lovely lid. With an SD inside instead it wouldn't be the same and I may as well use my Wii U. If this PnP mod was a lot cheaper then I guess I might give it a whirl in one of my units, but price is too high for something that I don't need and don't particularly want either. Interesting to hear about it though, thanks @DTMOF84.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

DTMOF84

@gcunit I don't know anything about running stuff on the Wii or Wii U other than hearing the Wii is pretty easy to run home-brew on. I'm kinda into the GameCube at the moment and don't have my Wii anymore. Gave it away when I got the Wii U. It is a little pricey and they won't ship until April. I don't really like spending that kind of money and waiting that long to get something. We'll see which way I go with it though.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit Same for me. I've never hard-modded any of my consoles or handhelds, and I never will.
@DTMOF84 Even though I'm not interested in that mod myself, I can definitely see the attraction of it, but if it costs that much, then you'd might as well get a refurbished Wii and softmod that. Also far easier to install games on, seeing as you'd have both the storage space and the disc drive to work with, instead of having to first dump all games on an SD card from a PC.

Not to mention that you'd have to find a decent site to download ISOs from, which is becoming harder nowadays, where Nintendo games are concerned. I've just dumped my own GameCube discs on the Wii, which was quite a bit of work (dumping one game to an external hard drive takes about 8 - 10 minutes) seeing as I've got well over 200 games, but at least I've got original dumps, and of course the added bonus that if they ever get corrupted for whatever reason, that I don't have to wonder if I'd still be able to find them online.

EDIT:
And yes, the Wii is easy as pie to softmod and put homebrew on. You can complete the entire operation within the space of an hour, if you include a full memory dump, and around 20 minutes less if you don't do a memory backup (not recommended, though).

Besides having Wii and GameCube games installed on it, I've turned my modded Wii into the ultimate retro box.
These are all the systems/emulators that I've installed on it:

• NES
  • SNES
  • Game Boy/Game Boy Color
  • Game Boy Advance
  • Sega Genesis/Megadrive (emulator also supports Sega CD, Master System and Game Gear games)
  • Atari 2600
  • Colecovision
  • MSX 1 & 2
  • Commodore Amiga
  • PC Engine/Turbogrfx16
  • Neo Geo
  • N64
  • PSX
  • Doom port
  • Quake port
  • OpenBOR Engine (Beats of Rage engine, based upon official Streets of Rage game, with tons of mods)

In case you'd decide to get a used Wii and want to softmod it, give me a heads up, and I'll point you in the right direction.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

DTMOF84

@ThanosReXXX sounds good I appreciate it. I might be able to get my old Wii back as I gave it to my brother in law to replace their broken one. If they have both still they’d probably give me both to be honest. Their kids don’t play them.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

ThanosReXXX

@DTMOF84 Even a broken one can be of use, either for spare parts or perhaps it's not as broken as they think, and then you'll simply have a backup console.

Anyway, just let me know whenever.

Ninfan

The first animal crossing on gamecube still sells for about €100,

Ninfan

1UP_MARIO

@Ninfan it’s even more cheaper than the links @ThanosReXXX provided. Although the prices are ok.
You just have to look around. Even your easiest search eBay, you can get it on a buy it now for 39.99

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

1UP_MARIO

@Ninfan sorry. I believe he’s in a different country and he’s seem to find it cheaper than you. Google is your friend who’s always listening to you 😉

ThanosReXXX

@1UP_MARIO I may be in a different country, but as you can see from the links I provided earlier, I always take into account where other people are from, so I've searched in the UK area, not in mine. Over here they're even cheaper than that:
https://www.gamecubegames.nl/gamecube-spellen-kopen/animal-cr...
https://www.retronintendokopen.nl/gamecube/complete-games/ani...

Anti-Matter

Pssst...
I found Animal Crossing Gamecube CIB with quite cheap price. 😏
The price was Rp 500,000 or US$ 36.30
But, it's only can be ordered from Tokopedia (Indonesia). 😝

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

1UP_MARIO

@ThanosReXXX wow that is cheaper.
Sorry I meant ninfan could’ve found it cheaper if he looked around.

ThanosReXXX

@1UP_MARIO No worries, man. No offense taken. I figured seeing as the links I pointed out to Ninfan were all from UK shops, it would be clear, so that's what was just a little bit confusing to me in your reply.

@Anti-Matter "But, it's only can be ordered from Tokopedia (Indonesia). 😝"

Pssst.... which isn't relevant, so it's useless of you to point out, because we're talking about the PAL version.
Pfff....

Faithfull

Sorry if this has been asked before but couldn't see. I have a Japanese GC on its way to me and i wondered if anyone know of any lists of games from japan that had the option of english language or subtitles?

Faithfull

ThanosReXXX

@Faithfull This has not been asked before, so no need to be sorry. Personally, I'm not quite up to speed on info about this, but I have found a page that mentions quite a few titles, which should at the very least help you along: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gamecube-imports-jap-pal.417307/

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic