Forums

Topic: Should I buy 007 GoldenEye for the N64?

Posts 1 to 20 of 34

hatty475

I've never been a big fan of FPS games, but when I saw the trailer for the new GoldenEye game I decided to try out the original. The game is fun, and now I play it with my friends all the time, but now I have a problem. The Wii game is probably going to cost $50, but I've found out I can buy the original for the Nintendo 64 along with two more controllers for about $45. Should I buy the original or wait for the Wii version?

P.S. If there's already a topic about this, sorry. I'm to lazy to check.

Edited on by hatty475

Beethoven was right when he said it don't come easy.
Currently Learning: Electric Guitar
Bad Wolf

Xkhaoz

Probably find the original.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xkhaoz

Aviator

Might want to edit the emulating parts of that post out.

But get the N64 version if you can get 3 other friends to play with you. You won't get the crappy regen health and it probably will be much better than Wii.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

SuperPeach

Is this game any good if you don't have other people to play with?

SuperPeach

mecoy

you ....should....totally.....only.....get....conduit.......2!

mecoy

Punny

SuperPeach wrote:

Even though the multiplayer mode is better than the single player mode, playing the game alone is fun, too.

As for the original comment, I would wait for the remake to come out and rent it. If you think it's better than the original, buy it. If you think the original is better, buy the original.

Edited on by Punny

I'm back (for the moment)!

LordJumpMad

Yes to All

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Tasuki

I would buy the N64 version and the controllers. Thats a hell of a deal. Plus you have to remember the one on Wii is going to be a bit different its not a port of the N64 game its kinda a remake so things might not be the same.

Its like a movie remake like King Kong for example. The basic plot elements are going to be there and I am sure that there will be similerities but there will be differences too. If I had your chance I would buy the N64 version and just get the Wii in November.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

ejamer

SuperPeach wrote:

At the time, it was one of the best movie games available. They did a great job translating movie scenes into playable levels, and there are a bunch of cool unlockables if you are good enough to get through levels quickly. The only question is how well it holds up now. Gaming has come a long way since the N64 days, and I suspect that people who grew up playing more modern games would find GoldenEye less enjoyable than old-time gamers who played it back in the day.

As for comparing the N64 version against the Wii one, it's really anyone's guess. But at least we know the N64 version is a great game and a classic part of gaming history. Frankly, there aren't very many Wii-exclusive Activision games that you can say the same thing for...

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

the_shpydar

I always thought one of the coolest parts of the single player was how your objectives changed depending on what difficulty level you played.

Get the N64 version, and I'd agree with those saying to rent the remake when it comes out and see if it's worth it. I'm decently excited for the remake, but i can't say i have a tremendous amount of faith in Activision these days (so sad ... once upon a time, the name "Activision" was synonymous with "excellent games").

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

J_K

The single player of Goldeneye is damn good fun, and the MP game can be a blast even with just one other person, though you can do up to 4. I've kept it all these years, and with word and imagery out backing it up now that the new Goldeneye is an entirely different game, different maps (in similar areas), different objectives, and the rest it's not really Goldeneye other than the title. If you really want Goldeneye in that you want the game everyone has oozed love all over since the 1990s, then get a cheap n64 and the game. Often you can find the sucker on craigslist with a system for around $40 or less from what I've seen when you get away from the greedy types.

shpydar above is right, Kotick has ruined Activision completely a company long known for quality stuff. With their more recent need in hosing employees, breaking up studios, and rehashing major franchise games so often to death they lose a point while doing little new creative or fun it's hard to wonder if this game won't just be another crappy Bond game devilishly using a good name to sell a mediocre game. I've backed off buying it to my maybe bin after I see how it rolls out.

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

Kaeobais

Original. The new one is said to be quite different. And I hear the single player isn't even the same at all. And besides, it'll probably end up just being a crappy game trying to cash in on the Goldeneye name.

The best strategy in the game: go up stairs and pause balls.

Splat

Original. I will be shocked if the new one is not a giant let down, the original was to good and there has been to much time for the hype to build no way can they live up to exceptions.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

StuffyStuff

It's always good to play the original. It's still a good game today, just not as involved as newer games. You should be able to find the game and controllers for cheaper that $45.

StuffyStuff

Deviant_Mugen

Definitely go for the original game...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

J_K

San Diego craigslist I saw put up a Goldeneye a couple hours ago in great shape (cart only) for $10 so it's not going to be hard to get the game cheap as I've seen it in the $10-15 range plenty of times so it will come down to how cheap you can bag a N64.

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

brooks83

Depending on what state you live in, there may be a Vintage Stock or Movie Trading Post in your area. They sell the game for 15 bucks. It is definately a must buy game, I just don't think I would pay 45 for it. If you have any thrift stores in your area, check them out too, I was lucky enough to find it for 5 bucks at a local Goodwill

brooks83

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.