Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 8,941 to 8,960 of 11,914

Grumblevolcano

@redd214 So I guess it'll launch a bit earlier in the US because of the nature of Thanksgiving.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

redd214

Seems that Thanksgiving thing was a but premature, they're backtracking to holiday 2020 again.

redd214

NEStalgia

How exactly are they planning to launch a console in a bankrupt country/world that may or may not be an even slightly functioning society by November? I thought it was a given all this gets postponed to 2021. From the perspective from inside a total shutdown of life where getting groceries is viewed as something to avoid at all costs and all other activity is verboten, the prospect of a new console feels pretty "meh". Granted, consoles are the one valid activity people actualy CAN participate in.

Maybe their "E3" event will swing me back to enthusiasm.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

I think most experts expect things will have significantly improved by then. Most of the guesses I've heard are that this is a 2-3 month kind of problem.

Even the Spanish Flu in 1918 which was one of the deadliest in all of human history basically did all of its damage in 3 months:

Untitled

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

gcunit

Can someone help me clarify the XSeX backwards compatibility?

Phil Spencer's letter (https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/consoles/xbox-series-x?xr=shellnav) states:

Phil Spencer wrote:

Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games...

I interpret this to mean that only the existing OG Xbox and 360 games that are currently playable on the Xbox One will be playable on the XSeX, so it won't be the entire library, just those that have been added to the BC list by Microsoft.

Is this right? Is there any official clearer definitive position, because some people seem to be taking it as ALL Xbox games of any generation will be playable?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Zuljaras

@gcunit "including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games..."

This is clear to me that it will be only the backward compatible games. Those games are the one in their official BC list. The other 360 and Original Xbox games are NOT BC.

gcunit

@Zuljaras Yeh, my take too. Bummer. All I want is to be able to play Project Gotham Racing 1-4 (but preferably enhanced) on a single console. I don't have an OG Xbox or 360 and don't want to get them just for the PGR series.

Zuljaras

@gcunit Bummer indeed that is why I have one perfect 360 to play the non-BC games. The quality is still good and unlike the PS3 I can install them on the HDD and play without hearing the constant CD spinning.

gcunit

@Zuljaras I forget - can the 360 run all OG Xbox games?

NEStalgia

I assume only supported games, but they'll proabably go back to adding more after launch. The games still have to be ported for the architecture change from the PPC and the older platform tools.

I'm still worried about the proprietary storage. I'm hoping they're not super expensive or small and expensive, but of course they will be.. I have an 8TB external drive on my 1 and it's full. And that's before we get to super huge games incoming. Buying a ton of little proprietary memory cards sounds like the Gilette razor & blades model. And swapping them around sounds sucky. I was hoping for some kind of "smart" system for moving bulk storage to and from high speed storage. It makes me wish they focused on physical distribution with games on high speed cards. The cards remind me of the PS1 all over again. PS5 could actually win me with a simpler system.

Assuming I actually buy new consoles instead of buying TP and rice for $500 from scalpers. A console launch in 2020 still sounds like advertising the live action remake of Song of the South.

@Dezzy I thought the internal thinking was 18+ months, widespread shortages, 40-70% infection rate (meaning basically we all are going to get it, all they're doing is spacing out when we get it to not overload hospitals all at once), with possibly a summer calm period (high heat and/or high temp hindering it but not known for sure yet) but another round starting in September....and presumably the holidays as well. Riiiiiiight when they're talking about launching consoles. I think this is mighty optimistic (as is IOC for Tokyo 2020 which is insane.) From those numbers I wouldn't expect any semblance of our real lives occurring until summer 2021 at the earliest, if then, making Holiday 2021 a lot better a time for a console launch that doesn't hear the sound of crickets over it's ultra quiet fans.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia Sony's the factor focusing both for holiday 2020. Microsoft can handle a delay given the 1+ year of crossgen games meanwhile PS4 looks kind of dead after June (GoT), Cyberpunk and Avengers are the 2 main massive games that come to mind afterwards and those were games originally planned before June so there's a real sense of Sony wants next gen to start ASAP.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit @Zuljaras Far as I understood, from various media, and from the info gathered on PureXbox, the Xbox Series X actually IS going to be able to play ALL OG Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games, so it's NOT just going to be the list of backward compatible titles that we have so far, they're actually going to expand upon that and offer full, true backwards compatibility with all generations of Xbox.

That has always been Spencer's goal, and that is what he has been talking about quite frequently of late.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
"the Xbox Series X actually IS going to be able to play ALL OG Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games, so it's NOT just going to be the list of backward compatible titles that we have so far, they're actually going to expand upon that and offer full, true backwards compatibility with all generations of Xbox."

(Suddenly wake up) 😳 !!
So that means i have a chance to play Dance Dance Revolution and Kinect XBOX 360 games by disc on Xbox series X ?? 😃

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

@ThanosReXXX Links if possible. As far as I can tell the official stance at the moment is:

• OG Xbox backwards compatible games on XB1
  • 360 backwards compatible games on XB1
  • All XB1 games

Grumblevolcano

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras It's sure starting to sound as if it is.

@Anti-Matter Yeah, it would seem like you would be able to play your favorite games after all, BUT there will be no Kinect compatibility out of the box. It's only backward compatibility with games, NOT with hardware, and ever since the Xbox One, there hasn't been a Kinect input on the console.

But even though the Xbox One also wasn't compatible with Kinect, they ended up making an adapter for it, so it works after all, which might mean that this will also work on Xbox Series X, but that isn't confirmed yet.

@Grumblevolcano Here you go:
https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/03/microsoft_reveals_how_x...

In that article, this specific bit is mentioned, which is crystal clear, far as I'm concerned:

"Backwards compatibility was always on the cards with Series X, but Microsoft has now revealed just how far it's taking this concept. The aim is to make all Xbox games compatible with the Series X, right back to OG titles released on the first console."

EDIT:
I have to correct myself again, as others below this comment have so correctly stated that there would still be musical licensing issues with the DDR titles, and seeing as you have to install all games and cannot play them straight from the disc, as has been the default mode ever since the Xbox One, you'll never be able to play OG Xbox DDR games on the Xbox Series X.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Btw, until which model of Xbox One that still have compatibility with Kinect ?
There are some Kinect games on Xbox One despite just fewer than Xbox 360.

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter All models of Xbox One. Just look up "Kinect adapter for Xbox One" and you'll see.

CORRECTION: most of these adapter do NOT work on the original Xbox One, only on Xbox One S and Xbox One X, but I have found several on Amazon that claim to be compatible with ALL models Xbox One.
Here you go:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBGYHG9/ref=dp_cerb_3

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

gcunit

@ThanosReXXX That quote from the Purexbox article was exactly what first got me suspicious. It's an interpretation from the author of the article, rather than the words from Microsoft. The only words from Microsoft I've seen about it are in the Phil Spencer letter I quoted earlier.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic