Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 5,861 to 5,880 of 11,914

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Blue Dragon, there's one I hadn't even heard of! Well that's going in my BC must haves bin. You know what's just been bumped back again? Black. Thanks!

MHW, cool as it is, I've been told by our resident experts (JaxonH and Tsurii) that MHGU is still the better game overall, for anyone that owns a Switch. Personally I switched to MHGU upon discovering that MHW's coop is horribly broken (you have to play it solo to be able to do it coop. Ugh!) "Co-op game of the year" award my rear....

Some of the others are also already on Switch, Vespyria is also coming to Switch day-and-date. South Park1&2, and Child of Light are also already on Switch. And your other recommendation to me, Earthlock, also is on Switch, so X1 doesn't open those up as new possibilities for Polar.

@PolarExperience
I'll have to do a cursory scan of my RPG stack later on. I'm sure I missed a few things. Kings Quest is fantastic. Not fully an RPG...it's partly a point & click adventure/platform....thing. Oh and there's Darksiders/Darksiders 2. T ratings I think, and they are Zelda-like games, the second one being partly an RPG. Darksiders 3 just came out last week, but it's more Souls-like (heavy on the action, lite on the RPG.) DS1&2 were on WiiU but not Switch.

Open world has a lot of stuff, but a lot of that is Ubisoft (Farcry, Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed) that you may not be into, along with Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War (gritty lord of the rings based.), but I'll check my list for those too.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia What? Never heard of Blue Dragon before? Shame on you. It was already on back compat in 2016, if I remember correctly. I do believe @JaxonH also knows and likes the game, if I remember correctly.

And Black is bumped? That means revived, no?
It made me think of bumped threads, but those never make sense to me anyways...

As for those suggestions you made: @PolarExperience is only looking for stuff that is either E or T rated. But only mildly T, so to speak, so nothing really violent. I've thought of adding Darksiders myself in my recommendations to him, but ultimately decided against it, because it might be a bit too much towards late teen instead of E or T rated.

Oh, and more importantly: they need to be Xbox games. He might possibly be interested in buying one, so he wants to know what types of games are good on that platform, within the confines of the ratings I mentioned earlier...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX The cover art rings a bell from long ago, but I'm not sure how I missed it back in the 360 era itself. Weird.

No, I mean bumped back behind Blue Dragon for the "next BC purchase" column

Yeah, I was just kind of recalling what's in my WRPG pile. XBox doesn't have the best catalog of early T RPGs. Tons of RPGs, but not so many "innocent" ones aside from the incoming FF. There are a few though I'll have to check my list for later. If looking mostly for that kind of game, I'm not sure X1 would be my recommendation over PS4 and Switch, as most of the ones it does have are ones also on those platforms, but it's missing some available on the others. Switch covers most of it, PS4 adds a little to it. X1 doesn't add all that much specifically to the younger-audience RPG category. Ohh, Romancing SaGa. They're old SNES/PS1 games ported but they're a newish collection.

I don't know, Darksiders, especially DS2 feels early teen enough. 1 is a bit grittier. I would think 2 is safe, except for that one section near the end that's a shooter in the burning Earth city.

Yeah, I just mentioned the PS4 ones to note what general audience RPGs are on there that aren't on here or Switch. It's worth mentioning.

Though I thought Polar wasn't really looking for an X1 until everyone started selling him one

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia That's why I said he might be looking to buy one. And he only disregarded the Xbox platform due to thinking that there weren't any worthwhile games available on it, because thanks to mainstream picture/marketing/ads, he was only ever aware of all the dude-bro games available for it, and none of these are to his liking.

Good point concerning Darksiders, but for me personally, only playing the second part of a trilogy with an actual relevant story line makes little sense.

Good luck finding Blue Dragon. If you really want to buy it, you'll probably end up getting it digitally, seeing as the game itself in physical form is rather hard to come by these days. If I remember correctly, they also didn't manufacture that many copies in the first place, possibly due to it being a multi-disc game, and a new IP, so there were several costs and risks involved. But in RPG land on the Xbox, it's a definite fan favorite, and well-remembered game.

EDIT: And he's not just looking for RPG's. He also likes open world and puzzle games.
And I personally checked Microsoft's Xbox game page with the E filter enabled, and it came up with a list of over 300 games. And if you add the T rating to it, there's a couple hundred more, so plenty of games to choose from, methinks...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

GeoChrome

@NEStalgia Your thought was right. I said that an X1 might be interesting and that I may be interested when it is discounted, then this happened.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

Banjo-

@NEStalgia I didn't sell anybody a console, I originally replied to him because he said that Xbox didn't have good not "mature" games. Then he said the genres that he likes and I mentioned a few games for anyone into innocent stuff. That's it. It was about making some games visible and destroy a cliché. Mentioning you as a RPG expert was supposed to be a compliment.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX True. There's a lot of dude-bro stuff in the marketing, though both X1 and PS4 is filled primarily with dude-bro stuff. At least the "bigger" games. Still, although I prefer X1 to PS4 by a game quantity of 4:1 these days, purely from a general audience RPG perspective (which is what I was summoned for ), I have a harder time recommending the platform when I think Nintendo, and to a lesser degree, Sony may have a little more catering toward those tastes. When I try to think of games in the RPG for T or below category for X1 has that you can't also get on Switch, I end up with a smaller list than when I do the same exercise for PS4. Obviously if we open it up to other genres that might be a different equation. I'm just going from the RPG angle. And of course if we're including things like Spyro etc that are on both PS4 and X1 but not Switch, it opens it up much more as well. Most of my top picks (FF, WoFF, Earthlock, etc, are also on Switch so there's nothing to gain by getting an X1 or PS4 for those if you already have the best platform, Switch )

Darksiders....the plot is kind of a mess at this point, so I wouldn't be too concerned about which order to play them. Technically all 3 stories so far are all happening simultaneously, so you're seeing 1/3 perspectives of events during the same period of time and learning about what's going on overall from any of the 3. If you play War first you learn about the broken seal, War's accusation and the invasion of earth. If you play Death first, you learn about the broken seal, War's accusation, and the invasion of earth. If you play Fury first you learn about the broken seal, War's accusation, and the invasion of Earth. It's like Kingdom Hearts....it's not supposed to make sense, you just take it for what it is

@ThanosReXXX Fortunately (usually) X1 is my all digital platform so as long as it's digitally available (and it is) I'm good! OTOH, Deus Ex: HR: Director's Cut and Castlevania LoS1 are among the pile you can play physically but not digitally. (Heck if it were a physical platform I wouldn't be able to open my front door with all the boxes stacked up, at this point...Switch already has me walled in. )

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@PolarExperience Well, that's exactly what I already told him: that you might be interested, but we more or less needed to show you what games are available for it, that you may or may not know about yet.

I think that between me and @BlueOcean, we've already come up with a quite interesting short list for you to check and see if those might possibly qualify.

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Yeah, but @ThanosReXXX is doing his XBox thing

@PolarExperience I thought as much FWIW, it's a great system, it's my favorite next to Switch (and in some areas, my favorite), and it definitely does have a ton of great games in various genres, including ones you're interested in. But I didn't think you were terribly interested in one for now, and Switch more and more is overlapping with games on here you'd like anyway, which is great!

@DarthNocturnal Assignments, though, doesn't the responding SOS player have to have beaten it first though? So if you're trying to coop with an individual instead of randoms, one of you has to play everything in the game solo before any of it can be done together.....so one of you has to play everything twice. That's not co-op, The Game Awards be darned.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia No, I'm not "doing my Xbox thing", I was genuinely trying to help and inform someone to complete the partial picture that he had, much like what @BlueOcean was also trying to do, to eradicate some preconceived notions about the platform.

Banjo-

NEStalgia wrote:

@BlueOcean Yeah, but @ThanosReXXX is doing his XBox thing.

What Xbox thing I do? I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles X more than anything else lately. Read the comments again because you are off. He said that there are no good no-mature games on Xbox so I listed three exclusives in the last 13 months that are not mature. Then he mentioned the genres that the likes (I was not the one who asked) and I just posted a few examples for each genre that are not mature, something that I consider a normal thing to do. He suggested to be interested in an Xbox console and I advised to wait and check the rumoured new models. You call me salesman for that. What should I call you then for doing what you do? Troll? Hater?

You and that other weirdo are the only ones bashing Xbox on the only Xbox thread that exists while I just like to stay positive on Xbox topics and if somebody says that all exclusive games are mature I just prove them wrong. It's a NORMAL thing to do on the "official" Xbox thread, as if I go to the PS4 or Switch threads and say that they don't have mature or teen games what would you expect to happen? Would you tell them that they are doing "their Nintendo thing" or "their Sony thing" or you only do that to the Xbox minority that dwells in Nintendo Life?

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Nono, Thanos is doing the XBox thing, not you.

Though ironically I come to read this post after I literally just posted in the Playstation thread that the build quality of PS2 through current excluding PS3 phat feel "like they're made of recycled milk bottles and a hobby electronics kit. "

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@BlueOcean Whoa there, sport. He said that I was doing my Xbox thing, not you.
No need to fly off the handle, nothing insulting has been said, well, at least not intended to take seriously, so I'm afraid you're reading him wrong, because he was just kidding, so no need for name calling.
(don't even know who is supposed to be "the other weirdo", because I haven't seen anyone acting like that)

And I supported you as well, so no harm was intended, alright? No offense, man, but you could really do with lightening up a bit, and not taking everything that's written so literally.

I thought we were already long past the whole misunderstanding each other part...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Banjo-

NEStalgia wrote:

@BlueOcean Nono, Thanos is doing the XBox thing, not you.

Though ironically I come to read this post after I literally just posted in the Playstation thread that the build quality of PS2 through current excluding PS3 phat feel "like they're made of recycled milk bottles and a hobby electronics kit. "

Oops, then I misread something there. I though you were talking to PolarExperience about ThanosReXXX and me and I had a flashback where I didn't really know you and you looked like a troll but now that I know you it's obvious that you are not and actually enjoy your posts and even appreciate you as a person, you are good-humoured and wise but not pedant, although sometimes you use 10x more lines than me to say exactly the same thing (remember arcade sticks). Sorry for getting too serious there, friends?

I am not a huge Switch fan but I am a huge Wii U and SNES Classic fan and I have a PS4 even though I play it the least, same as you. The PS Classic is certainly a piece of rubbish according to Digital Foundry. When I bought the PS4 on launch I thought that the store would include all the PS and PS2 classics that were available on the store and that was the main reason why I bought one because I was Nintendo-only until this generation.

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@BlueOcean No worries, man. Glad we got that one straightened out. For a minute there, I had the "oh no, here we go again feeling", but luckily, that isn't the case.

Everybody happy, @DarthNocturnal included, whom I was just about to ask "who died and made you moderator?"
All completely in jest, obviously...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Banjo-

@DarthNocturnal @ThanosReXXX No need to worry, I was not angry at all. It was just a reflection. Is the Switch thread chill or is that supposed to be sarcastic? Because sarcasm can't be assumed in decontextualized short texts and I haven't checked that thread lately. So yeah, I wonder what thread is stirred up. This one?

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@BlueOcean I've no idea. I'm never in it, since I haven't got a Switch (yet).

Funny you should mention wondering about sarcasm, though, because the reason I responded to you in my previous comment, is because you seemed to be angry in your post to NEStalgia. Goes to show you how we still always perceive/interpret other people's messages in our own way, regardless of the original intent of the one who actually wrote it...

@NEStalgia always tries to pre-empt any negativity and/or anger by slapping a whole crate of smileys in his posts, but apparently, that also doesn't seem to work with everybody...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal Yeah, I'm really not sure how it won "best co-op" when it's probably the worst implemented co-op I've seen in a modern game. Which is a shame it could be amazing, and I know they did it that way to prevent carrying, but it's just so broken when you try to play co-op with someone and the method of doing that is to both play the mission separately, just so you can re-play the exact same mission together. It's more or less a single player game at that point. Which is just freaky for Monster Hunter.

@BlueOcean No worries, water under the bridge and all that

Yeah, that PS Classic is.....amazingly awful. I get that they didn't want to cut into current titles like Crash and Spyro remasters, but the fact that XBox and Switch have more of the PS1's most famous games than the PS Classic does is painful to watch. The best thing it has on it is FFVII....which is also coming to Switch and XBox.

Switch thread is a Nintendo fan thread, so it's inherently full of vitriolic Nintendo hating and knight in shining armor Nintendefense. It's good most of the time....but certain people can stir it up to Slig era levels of fun.

@ThanosReXXX And thanks for the assist, just in case!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Any time, (dude-)bro...

As for that PS Classic: might still be worth it for the fans, if the thing is hackable like the Nintendo Minis...

TuVictus

Can honestly say this thread is a relief from all the usual annoyances that come with "X-centric" fansites.

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic