Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 5,841 to 5,860 of 11,914

GeoChrome

@BlueOcean Interesting, I had heard those names before, but forgot them during the waves of announcements. I might have to take more of a look into the console to make sure I’m not missing out on something great. Do agree that Sony has been going for the more mature audience, I just assumed Microsoft was doing the same.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

ThanosReXXX

@PolarExperience If you tell us what kinds of games you like or are looking for, then I think that most of us will easily be willing and able to come up with at least a top 10 of titles that are suitable for you.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Banjo-

@PolarExperience I do recommend you an Xbox One but if you are not in a hurry you can always wait until the rumoured new models are announced next year so you will be able to choose from among several models (two more models on top of S and X are rumoured) and price points. The new models would be a disc-less Xbox One S and a smaller Xbox One S. Xbox One X is the best and most expensive choice.

Banjo-

Dezzy

How do you actually cancel gamepass? I couldn't find a link. I just wanted 1 month to check it out.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy You can't. You're in it forever. You just sold your soul to Phil Spencer.

Octane

Banjo-

This is like asking something on Gamefaqs and the first reply is always trying to be funny but not helpful. :S

Banjo-

Banjo-

@Octane You and Yosheel are a different kind of humour! Well, Yosheel is much worse.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

GeoChrome

@ThanosReXXX I’m usually interested in RPGs, platformers or open world games, and puzzle games.
@BlueOcean Yeah, I’ll probably wait until the new Xbox comes out to see if the OG XOne has been discounted to a reasonable price.

Edited on by GeoChrome

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy You can't. You're in it forever. You just sold your soul to Phil Spencer.

Lol I had to pay them to take my soul?

It's not that bad.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Banjo-

@PolarExperience Platformers Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Super Lucky's Tale, Ori and the Blind Forest, Rayman Legends, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Crash Bandicoot N.sane Trilogy, Sonic Generations/CD/Mania, Yooka-Laylee and whatever indie platformers you fancy. I have all those and many others, I think that I have every decent platformer available.

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is not a traditional platformer but I think that people that like creative games would love it. Building vehicles and playing with them is real fun. If you like a good challenge this game has optional super difficult challenges, especially LOG's Lost Challenges.

Viva Piñata, didn't care about it before playing it and it became one of my favourite games. Nuts & Bolts, Viva Piñata and Minecraft are the kind of games I would buy my kids if I had them and the kind of games I enjoy too. So yes, Rare Replay is a must-have.

RPGs if you mean fantasy RPG nothing better than the Final Fantasy games and the 360 RPGs that are backwards compatible including Fable. @NEStalgia is a RPG expert.

Open world: Forza Horizon 4 (casual open-world racer where you choose your own avatar), Sea of Thieves (beautiful and fun if you don't mind online gaming).

I am trying to ignore mature games that I like but I am forgetting games that you'd like, I'm sure.

Puzzle games if I play I play them on 3DS to be honest. You have some on Xbox One, obviously. Hexic HD is free. Somebody else could list more because I have no idea.

See? Lots of games.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@PolarExperience I see that @BlueOcean has already given you plenty of examples, but here are some of my own:

RPG's:
An absolute must-have for any Xbox owning RPG fan, is Blue Dragon. Great story, great characters, and a pretty large game. On the Xbox 360, it came on two discs, and it is Xbox One backwards compatible.

Monster Hunter World. Travel an expansive, online world, with friends or alone, and hunt and defeat huge, dinosaur-like beasts. Another great game, and this one is current gen, so an Xbox One title.

Tales of Vesperia. A game from the Tales series, that has already had multiple games on multiple systems, Nintendo consoles included. The entire game is in anime style, and has a great story.

South Park: The Stick of Truth and South Park: The Fractured But Whole also still fall into your age category, so these are good as well, if you like that specific kind of comedy, that is..

As an honorable mention, I would like to add Child of Light. Not really a full-blown RPG in my opinion, although some would disagree, but it's a really nice game, made by Ubisoft, and is completely hand-drawn. I'd say it's an RPG-Lite, but if you want to find out more, just watch some YouTube footage, and you'll see.

As for more titles in that genre, I would indeed agree with @BlueOcean, that we should refer to @NEStalgia. He's played enough of them, to be able to tell you which are suitable, if you're only looking for E and T rated games.

Open world games:
Besides the already mentioned GTA V, which might not quite fall into the E or T-labeled category, there's also Saints Row IV. Saints Row is kind of a comedic spin on GTA, with a lot of over the top stuff, which goes a long way to set it apart from GTA's more gritty reality.

Sunset Overdrive. Imagine yourself being a kind of super-powered free runner, jumping all over town, except there's weird, alien creatures added to the mix, that you have to shoot with an a gun that's kind of a mix between a NERF rifle and a Splatoon gun, and all in bright neon-colored settings. Very hectic, but can definitely be fun, and because it all looks so comic book-like, the violence is subdued. And who doesn't want to rid the world of aliens, right?

Minecraft. Well, do I need to say more than just that name? Who doesn't know Minecraft? And it's on almost any platform available, so I'll assume you've already heard of it...

Puzzle games:
The Witness. You wake up, alone, on a strange island full of puzzles and you travel around and besides a main quest in the form of the puzzles, there is some freedom in which order you want to solve them, although sometimes you'll need to make one puzzle first, to be able to access the next, but that actually poses a nice challenge. Interesting story, in a beautiful, fully 3D world, in which you travel around and solve various kinds of puzzles to try and unravel a greater mystery.

Unravel 1 & 2. Two games in the "puzzle platform" genre. The first one introduces the character Yarny, a little living doll made from red wool. The puzzle element consist of navigating environments by manipulating threads of yarn coming from the body of your character. The second game introduced another woolen character, and new puzzle mechanics in which you must use both of them to solve levels. Both really cool and endearing games.

Braid. A completely hand-drawn puzzle platformer, in which you, as the main character, are on a quest to save a princess, and along the way, you have to solve all kinds of puzzles, presented as single screen platform levels. Sounds boring, perhaps, but it really isn't.

And then there's of course tons of block puzzle or "swap 3/swap 4" types of games, such as Tetris, Peggle, Hexic, Puyo Puyo, Puzzle Quest and Lumines.

Well, that's what I got for now, but if you want to know more about these games, I'd say look for them on YouTube.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

HobbitGamer

@PolarExperience Stacking, Battleblock Theatre, and Costume Quest 1 & 2 are also very fun. CQ are great rpg games about Trick or Treating

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

Holy heck I'm away briefly and there's 5 pages of back-reading. The X1 thread is officially more lively than the PS4 thread. Mind=blown.

Also, Castlevania LoS 1 is, unfortunately not digitally available

@PolarExperience So @BlueOcean pulled me into game recommendations for someone not really looking for an X1, huh?

Hmm, well, I can say that my RPG category is my biggest category on my X1 because as Blue said, I'm an RPG enthusiast. How big, you ask? Big enough I exceeded the folder/group size and had to split RPG and JRPG into two categories.

That being said, if you're looking for non-M rated, that category will shrink a good deal. PS4 still has a number of JRPGs that X1 does not so far have, and is arguably a better bet if you're all about JRPGs (and Nintendo remains king. PS4 gets you Persona5, Ni No Kuni 2, Star Ocean, Phatasy Star, Dragon Quest 11, and the Kingdom Hearts compendium (I suspect that will also go to X1 and Switch eventually though.) and random assortments of Tales, Ys, NIS games, etc that are either Sony locked, or Sony and "eventually" Switch. So if by RPG you mean JRPG, then, no, XBox isn't the best choice, though it's currently the only current gen console to play FFXIII, XIII-2, and XIII- Lightening Returns on, and, like Switch, will have the rest of FF excluding 8 and 1-6 by next year. PS4 does have the FF14 MMO (pay per month) while X1 does not.

For "JRPG" there's FF (entire series coming in 2019 minus 1-6+8&14MMO), special note of FFXIII trilogy which is not on PS4 or Switch), KH3 (PS4 has 1&2 plus the PSP/DS HD ports exclusively for now), Nier: Automata (M rated though) Sword Art Online (which is not an MMO, it's an RPG about an anime which consists of characters being inside an MMO - this is coming to Switch too, though I expect it to run bad.) FFXV (M rated?), not too much else there that can't be had on Switch anyway.

Western RPGs are of course Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim (also on Switch), Elder Scrolls Online (MMO but no subscription required), King's Quest trilogy, Mass Effect 1-4 ( 3 was on WiiU), Dragon Age 1-3, Diablo (also on Switch), Witcher 2, Witcher 3, (VERY M rated), Jade Empire (very old, 4:3 letterbox, but very good), Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 (very old, dated, but classic.) Fallout (meh, interest waned), Deus Ex, Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls 1-3....ok, yeah, a lot of the WRPGs are very M rated

There are JRPGs, and FF XIII may be a big feather in X1's JRPG cap, but yeah for JRPGs, Switch + PS4 is probably the surer path. But a lot of the bigger ones (also M rated) tend to be on X1 as well. For WRPGs X1 is the better place for them. Personally I'm not into the really niche anime driven RPGs. So my "PS exclusives" for JRPGs are down to: DQXI (coming to Switch), NNK2, tales of Bersaria, Persona 5, KH collection, Star Ocean, and Dark Cloud 1 & 2. I'll probably do FF series on Switch....maybe X1 but probably Switch.

It does depend on what you're looking for. There's plenty of non-M rated games. But of course a good deal of those cross over to Switch as well. JRPGs exist but it's X1's weakest genre (if you have access to another system....with the whole FF catalog coming there's still plenty for a lot of gamers for those that don't) while WRPGs thrive. Open world is still a big genre with tons of games....but, again, a lot of that is M rated. Then there's a lot of middle ground stuff like simulators, No Man's Sky etc. And all the racing and fighting games.

Ultimately if you're not interested in specific games you can't get on Switch, no need to spend money on another platform. Ignorance is bliss, and if I were full of bliss I'd also be full of more money.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic