Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 9,301 to 9,320 of 16,083

NEStalgia

@MisterPi they could fit the 3 spyros and all Skylanders games on one bd. I think publishers are now officially done with physical. They're just unlock keys. I'm strongly wondering if ps5 and x2 will have a disc dive at all at this point or if they'll force the same system as they wanted at the start of this gen. Well...x2 will be fine, back compat is their thing.... And discs are only unlocks for that as well.

@Octane @redd214 yeah, for Honor, r6, are online pvp games in general so it's inherently online. Wildlands is a bad choice though as it's open world sandbox plus online coop. I can't even tell what to think if Asassins Creed pirates redux. It's half ac4 without ac, and part sea of thieves without character. I think I'll wait for a $10 sale or ps+/gwg giveaway. I don't see a solid future for that game. I want to like it. I will like it. I like Steep. But.... There's something empty in it that's almost depressing. In truth i like the Pyong Chang expansion more than the core game.

I think theyve leaned not to do the always online thing for ac origins and hopefully Odyssey though. I believe farcry5 ditched it too. Sea of Asassins i guess is really just an online pvp game too.

NEStalgia

Octane

@Dezzy Super Mario Odyssey: 5.7 GB

Three Spyro remasters from 20 years ago: 50+ GB...???

Octane

Tasuki

Dezzy wrote:

redd214 wrote:

NEStalgia wrote:

@Knuckles-Fajita Let's be real, PS2 sold well because it was the cheapest DVD player on the planet.

You're right, had nothing to do with the amazing lineup of games /s

The DVD player was a big deal at the time if I remember rightly. It came along at the exact right time where DVD players were still quite expensive so a lot of people didn't have one.
When I bought a PS2 on launch day, it essentially became our home's main movie watching device.

You weren't alone, that's why alot of people opted for a PS2 over a GameCube. And the fact that you'd didn't have to buy an addition remote like the original Xbox to use it was why people bought a PS2 over an Xbox. It's how most kids talked their parents in getting a PS2.

Sony know what it was doing and sadly though was hoping to strike lighting twice with the PS3 and it's Blu-ray capability.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy Super Mario Odyssey: 5.7 GB

Three Spyro remasters from 20 years ago: 50+ GB...???

Exactly. It makes no sense. 50GB is like open-world AAA RPG type size. Not small platformer levels with lots of reused assets and not that much voice acting.
The entire trilogy should be less than 50GB.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy The entire trilogy should be less than 20GB lol. All three Crash games on the Switch are like 5GB combined. I'm not sure what's going on here...

Despite all of that, what happened to printing two discs? A few cents more for the publisher, but that means all of them are on disc. The cases exist, some PS4 games come with 2 discs in a single case. Of course that's assuming they're capable of getting at least two games on a single disc.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Final Fantasy XV royal edition was basically the same as the launch edition of the game just with download codes to get all of the DLC on the online store.
I don't know why they've become so weird about that this generation.

Heavyarms55

Has there ever been any word on whether the PS4 Pro will ever be able to play 4K blue ray?

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Octane

@Dezzy lol. Glad I skipped that one. It already seemed a bit fishy, a "complete" edition while there was more DLC coming this year...

@Heavyarms55 The 4K blu-ray format is different from the regular blu-ray format, and the PS4 Pro doesn't support the former. So without a new iteration of the PS4 Pro, the answer is no unfortunately.

Octane

Heavyarms55

@Octane I as just wondering. Thanks for the info.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Dezzy

Hmmmm, my Q4 2018 dilemma was choosing between Red Dead 2, Spyro, Spiderman and DQ11.

I'll probably only have time for 2 of them. Now the 2 I was favouring have both chosen anti-consumer dumbass policies for their games. And the remaining 2 haven't.....

I can't bring myself to ignore Red Dead 2. But I might find the willpower to switch Spyro with one of the others.

Edited on by Dezzy

Dezzy

Several people have suggested that the Spyro thing is simply caused by the fact that they didn't finish the 2nd and 3rd games in time to have it disc printed. If those are just digital, it means they could continue polishing the games right up until the day before launch.

Seems highly plausible.

Octane

@Dezzy That's usually done with a day-one patch. Ship a broken game and fix it with a patch. This time they only ship part of the game, and the rest is a download. I'm not sure I like that direction they're going in.

Octane

TuVictus

I'm assuming that any subsequent person to get the disc won't also get the second and third games?

TuVictus

Octane

@MisterPi That's a very safe assumption

Either way, the ''trilogy'' becomes nothing more than a paper weight when the servers will be shut down eventually, completely defeating the point of physical games to begin with.

Octane

CanisWolfred

Dezzy wrote:

Several people have suggested that the Spyro thing is simply caused by the fact that they didn't finish the 2nd and 3rd games in time to have it disc printed. If those are just digital, it means they could continue polishing the games right up until the day before launch.

Seems highly plausible.

It's still bull$#!+, though. Why not just delay it a month? Did they already send out the copies and go, "oh no! We forgot to put the other two games on the discs!" It just reeks of incompetance, and now I have zero confidence that it'll actually be a good remake.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NEStalgia

@Dezzy It's 20 years old, how was it not ready? That's like the L.A. Noire excuse. "I know we've been working on this game since 1997, but we need more time." What is this, Duke Nukem Forever?

They're weird about it this gen because they want to get out of the physical goods business, and the more they can ween people into downloading things more and more, the more they day they say "no more physical games" they can point and say "you've been downloading it all for years anyway, so it's no big change." It's just social engineering. Nothing to see here. Not only is it cheaper from them, not only does it cut out the middle man, and increase margin, but that's not the most important part of digital only: Vendor lock, controlled life cycles, and price controls are the real point. Increasing margins come and go. Monopoly power is forever.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia That reminds me of that Jim Sterling video he uploaded today. Remember the big publishers saying ''single player games are dead''? The only ones pushing to online and service based games are the very same publishers saying single player games are dead. It's almost as if they want them to die, so they have an excuse to turn everything into a ''live service'' game. The same is true for physical games.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane Yep, that was always a given. Even though I've been preferring XBox for my multiplats, I'm infinitely glad Sony is leading by pushing single player games. Heck even Nintendo's been focusing on online & service games over single player I feel.

Subscription remains the holy grail of business but I wonder how long that will last. IMO they all look back at the big MMORPGs and see the big money there and fail to realize that model only works when there's only a few options....once every game is playing, none of them are winning. Kind of like mobile itself. Plus cashing in on kids mobile/social obsessions seems an easy thing to do for game companies. It's like reality TV for TV networks. It costs almost nothing to produce, but makes even more money than well scripted dramas. The most popular, profitable game will be the one that has almost no game and just lets people screw around with toys with friends, I guess.

Which...is basically GTAV in a nutshell.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

the more they day they say "no more physical games" they can point and say "you've been downloading it all for years anyway, so it's no big change." It's just social engineering. Nothing to see here.

That's a bit of a leap. I don't like to assume social engineering when stupidity, selfishness and carelessness are possible alternatives.

Octane wrote:

The only ones pushing to online and service based games are the very same publishers saying single player games are dead. It's almost as if they want them to die, so they have an excuse to turn everything into a ''live service'' game.

Seems likely. The live service concept does seem like it works well from a business point of view. You can release unfinished games which lowers the initial budget. You then only continue to develop the ones that attract an audience. Meaning the things that become popular turn into a massive ongoing source of revenue, rather than just a one-time payoff.
So you're kinda maximising the hits and minimising the misses at the same time.

The big problem is that it heavily restricts the types of game you can make.

Edited on by Dezzy

Octane

@Dezzy That also means that every game will become a big gamble for us. Do I buy the game now? Will it become successful? I've heard mixed things, better stay away, they're going to abandon it soon anyway, etc.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic