Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 9,201 to 9,220 of 16,083

redd214

I'm with you guys on Ratchet and Clank. Took my boys to see the movie when it came out in theaters and surprised them with the game once we left. Such a terrific game. Tried Bloodborne when it came to plus but I just can't get into the Souls games. The learning curve in those game is just so off putting for me. I don't mind hard games but when it just starts out punishingly difficult it just kills my motivation to continue.

@Octane I agree on GOW. Just got 100%and the platinum last week and man thats a special game. Perhaps it stems from being a father of boys but I don't think I've ever been that interested and invested in a game story as much. I really loved Horizon and genuinely thought it was going to be tough to top but GOW came a year later and blew it away for me. Best game on the ps4 imo.

And for whatever reason I just can't get along with the Uncharted games. I've played some of 2, all of 3, and a bit of 4 and just don't find them fun at all. Same thing with the Last of Us now that I think about it. I enjoy the stories but find them a bit boring as games dunno why.

redd214

Dezzy

More Tomb Raider footage. Semi-open world segment. Looks like they're expanding on the kind of non-linear hub sections like they had in Rise of Tomb Raider to some extent.

Good news in my opinion. Worked incredibly well in the recent Uncharted games.
Sadly, there's no way in hell this is gonna out-compete Red Dead, Spyro, Spiderman and Dragon Quest in Q4. Looks like a game I'll buy in mid 2019 when it's about half the price.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

@Octane new R&C's definitely no Mario clone platformer. It's more of a shooter with some platforming. A crazy fast pace, Doom/Serious Sam type shooter. With furries. It's a beautiful thing. Old R&C wasn't really mario either...it wasn't quite a shooter, but it wasn't quite not. More of an action-adventure/platformer, but the new one really has some magic. It's pretty short from start to finish (and the more you play it and upgrade everything so you're walking armageddon with a tail, the easier it gets even on new game +, which is beautifully satisfying.

It has a gun that turns enemies into exploding sheep. That really summarizes the game right there. It's a game I will come back to for years, and will always make me smile.

I did the same thing with Tropical Freeze! Trying to undo that error with Switch...

" sounds like the ultimate port to me. And not in the good way."
Hooooh, boy, yeah, hide here. That'll get you flayed in the Switch threads. I've already been drawn and quartered without even being so direct about it That game IS SMASH FIVE!!1! and nobody will tell them otherwise.

@Ryu_Niiyama Right...so...um....that's...you know...completely....uhm....rational.........(backs away slowly....) Do you also sub-categorize the alphabetized game boxes in color-coded sequence so the colors of the spectrum are in their proper order?

@redd214 Somehow I enjoy Uncharted. I think I like the exploration. It's not all action, but I play games to explore the scenery as much as for the action sometimes, so Uncharted is kind of satisfying in terms of visiting exotic locales.

@Dezzy Yeah, I love the TR games, but they just don't seem like "full price" games to me. Popcorn at it's best. Big production but you know it'll be cheaper, and it's not going to redefine your view of games. But it's cheap, clean fun when it's marked down.

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia I don't think they're bad games at all and obviously the production value is thru the roof, I've just never found myself having fun while playing them. I mean with 2 and 4 I just stopped playing after a while and just watched the cutscenes on YouTube to get the rest of the story. I can totally see why people love them they just don't click for me.

As far as Smash goes (and Pokémon tbh) I agree their communities can be really toxic and off putting at times. I thankfully have never played a single game in either franchise so I don't have 2 decades of baggage and expectations weighing me down. Can go into both with reasonable expectations. I'm really excited about the games coming this year.

redd214

Octane

@redd214 The combination of open world, with linear level design and a focus on narrative worked really well for me. I didn't think it was possible. Linear narrative games and more open exploration games were always mutually exclusive, but GOW set the bar for a this new type of game experience. Combat was good too, and difficult, and I just love Norse mythology and all the lore that comes with it. What's not to love about that game?!

@Dezzy Yeah, it looks alright. I won't play the TR 2013 or Rise before this one because I don't have the time. So it's definitely a late 2018/2019 game if I get around to playing the first two games.

@NEStalgia Hah, I know. It's just all weird deviantart material cartoon animals in an action/platformer setting. Add Sonic to list as well. But yeah, now that I've got a copy of R&C, I'm definitely going to try it out, because it looks pretty good. I've also got a digital copy of Jax & Daxter, the PS2 remaster? It came with Lost Legacy, but I haven't tried it yet.

As for Smash, it's best to enjoy it from far away, let the Smash fans and Nintendo fans fight over Melee versus the latest Smash!

Octane

redd214

@Octane yeah man they really nailed everything. Can't wait for the ng+ patch and run thru it again on hard.

redd214

NEStalgia

@Octane @redd214 I've heard the Pokefans can be horrid, but so far they seem to stay in their holes more than the Smash people that absolutely, positively need to never, every stop reminding people how how Smash is the most amazing video game, most perfect fighting game, most meticulously balanced, perfectly designed game in the history of gaming. And all other games can and should be compared to Smash in every way. And I may be able to tell the new one is an enhanced port/collection. You may be able to tell. Anyone with eyes may be able to tell. But nope...to those guys, it's all new, didn't you see all the little minor tweaks that make it all new, it's totally new! I've really never seen anything like it, and I don't understand how that game ended up that way. The fan base is, like, pathologically defensive about it. I've been gaming since the 2600 and I've never seen anything like it. Not even the 90's Street Fighter mall rats....

@Octane You're in for a treat! Don't stop until every gun is max level. They get even crazier at the top tier. Kratos is a wimp. Maxed out Ratchet is a destroyer of worlds! Early, intense firefights are intense. By the end of the game (a pass or two through new game + required to max out) with maxed settings you push a button and everyone dies. It's way more fun than it should be

Jak & Daxter IMO hasn't aged well. In it's PS2 days it was pretty cool, but it has a lot of obsolete designs. I think it was praised for it's production values and presentation more than it's actual gameplay.....wait...it's Naughty Dog....I guess that's redundant

NEStalgia

Octane

@redd214 I want the sequel more than NG+. I don't think I can beat the game on hard anyway lol.

@NEStalgia If that involves a lot of grinding or playing the game multiple times, I don't think I'll ever get that far

Then I guess I'll leave Jack & Dexy for another day when I have absolutely no idea what to play.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane The game is short, and it never feels like grinding. I virtually never replay games, and even more seldom play on hard. I went to the hardest mode on that game after the first playthrough, and got all those bolts in a pass or two. The thing is when you play on the NG+ mode, you get a bolt multiplier for each kill you have not taken any damage. So in good streaks you can start getting 10x, 14x multipliers and the whole screen is raining bolts It never feels like grinding because most of the time I'm test driving the new upgrades on each gun for the first time. It's good old school arcade action. It doesn't really get old until after you have no more upgrades

NEStalgia

Haruki_NLI

I see Ratchet and Clank, the reason I got a PS4. I approve.

@Octane that will tell you all you need to know about the franchise. If I like it it must be good.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

I'm having a hard time motivating myself to play anything in my PS4 backlog. Resident Evil 2 really needs to hurry up and come out.

@NEStalgia Legend has it you've yet to see a sequel that you didn't think was secretly a port of the previous game in the series.

NEStalgia wrote:

I've heard the Pokefans can be horrid, but so far they seem to stay in their holes more than the Smash people that absolutely, positively need to never, every stop reminding people how how Smash is the most amazing video game, most perfect fighting game, most meticulously balanced, perfectly designed game in the history of gaming. And all other games can and should be compared to Smash in every way.

Honestly, that sounds more like Witcher 3 fans than anything. I've never encountered one of these Smash Supremacists before.

Now, I've met a ton of Melee nuts who think every game in the series should be more like Melee, but that's another thing entirely.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia cough well I did say I was bored and it is useful data to have... (I mean yeah the SSRS reports and the dashboard I'm building is overkill but hey...well the fact that I'm building the thing in SSMS in T-SQL instead of just using access is a bit much but it's fun).

And no... My game boxes are ordered by company, and then release year of the system actually. I think that is a normal way to line them up.

Pokefanatics just suck the fun out of it and wish the same on others that's all. Also apparently if you grew up with the original 150 you are a spawn of evil and don't really understand pokemon... or something like that.

Now that NES has gotten his jokes in for the day...

Any reason to keep the OG Ps4 if you are getting a Pro? Also how difficult is the data transfer? I'm really considering the spidey ps4 pro.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama err...
Untitled

Transferring is easy, there's just a transfer function on the console in the settings menu to copy it all in one go over lan. No real reason to keep the og. I kept mine though.... Might as well have a backup.

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia Bwhahahaha or actually ... https://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality which would explain it much better since that's what I am. ...Although I did go "good the letters are in correct order" before I actually read the rest of the mug... not sure what that says about me. Might reinforce your assertion lol.

Good to know. Not sure yet if I'm going to get it yet but fingers crossed. I wonder how the dashboard has changed in since last march of last year...

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama interesting test. I don't understand yours at all it got me right though i think. The percentages seem wrong but the description is pretty good!

And... If you noticed the letters in order first off.... That's pretty extreme

Since March 2017? I was buried in my switch at that time. Didn't pick the ps up again until January, lol! Before that was probably 2016. A LOT changed for me in that timespan!

NEStalgia

Octane

@Knuckles-Fajita Considering that it's one of the three games you actually like, yeah, I'd say that says a lot!

@Ryu_Niiyama I hope you're kidding, but by company?! I mean, I order them in chronological order, because I think that makes more sense than alphabetically, but by company? That's a new one to me.

Octane

toiletduck

So I finally got around to playing Horizon: Zero Dawn. Had it lying around for a while, because all my love went straight to Switch the past year. I'm a few hours in and I must say: it's really entertaining! It's a bit challenging for someone with very limited gaming talentsuch as myself (playing on normal mode where I usually pick easy because I'm to lazy to try hard), but I haven't died yet

I wonder how I feel about it once I'm further in the story. Really have to get used to the setting and I wonder whether I can get used to the whole tribe vs. metal monsters thingy in the end.

So what is the genre of this game then? Action/RPG? Or Action/Adventure with RPG elements? Any fans here?

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Ryu_Niiyama

@Octane not by publisher. By system manufacturing company. So: Microsoft-> Nintendo—> Sega—> Sony -> windows (I keep pc seperate for my sanity) then by chronological order of system release, then in alphabetical order.

Absolute chronological order would drive me insane because that means I ‘d have to keep every release date in my head or it would bother me so much trying to remember that I would never actually play the game because I’d stare at my bookcases trying to remember dates.

However I may try by publisher now thanks to you. Considering that I have a large number of games by a few publishers that would make things way easier to find and catalog. My database is currently organized by publisher anyway ( because of a report I want to build) so thank you for that.

Edit: oh gosh this is brilliant! High five to you!
New system is now Manufacturing company-> system release date -> publisher-> alphabetical order.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia never had to take the myers briggs for a job? I’ve taken it three times many years apart and I still score the same type. My introversion has gone down 3 percent though. So only 95 percent now. See people are less cumbersome!

In my defense for the mug. The lettering is huge and since it didn’t instantly bring to mind an acronym the next categorical type is alphabetical.

I’ll merge this post when I get to a computer.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Octane

@Ryu_Niiyama That makes a lot more sense lol. I do the same thing, by system, and then in chronological order.

@toiletduck They call it an action-RPG, does it really matter though?

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic