Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 8,301 to 8,320 of 16,083

Haruki_NLI

@Peek-a-boo Toy is the appropriate word. Shame said toy has no AAA experiences.

Still, GoW looks fun. Ill need to see how my funds align.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Indeed. And I got myself a new (4K) TV, so I'll be enjoying the game with HDR enabled.

Octane

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo Sure, but it absolutely will be broadly ignored, just like Fantastic Mr. Fox was. I'm still waiting to see how limited its release is actually going to be.

Oh well. Next few weeks are looking pretty good. New Pacific Rim. A Quiet Place (it's sitting at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes right now with 25 pre-release reviews: even though it won't stay there, that's a pretty massive accomplishment for a movie in a genre that critics tend not be very fond of). Ready Player One (while I'm not a huge fan of the book, I absolutely think Spielberg can turn the material into cinematic goodness). And hopefully the new God's Not Dead will be even more terrible than the previous two films, which should make for some incredibly funny reviews on youtube.

And have you seen Tomb Raider? It's an actually pretty good video game adaptation!

But, uh, we're in the PS4 thread.

I have SUPER mixed feelings on Ni no Kuni II right now.

I want to be excited. I absolutely adore the art style, and it's nice to see another JRPG stay unapologetically Japanese in design. Good music, too.

On the other hand? The combat looks like something from a Tales of... game. The way the characters become chibified on the world map is annoying. None of the characters seem particularly interesting. And the town building aspects...

Very torn on this one.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Peek-a-boo

@Octane You should treat yourself to a PS4 Pro, hee hee!

Funnily enough, I didn’t think much of 4K or HDR at first, especially in terms of games however, the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn, Gran Turismo Sport and Shadow of the Colossus makes my new-ish television sing.

It’s a Sony XE90. I doubt I will be looking for a new television until OLED comes down in (sensible) price.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Tsurii 'Critics' seem to like it so far. I mean, the combat looks good, fluid and satisfying.

@Ralizah I'm still confused by the main character lol. Is it a boy, a girl, some kind of cat mutant? The game looks good, but I've never played the first one (even though I like what I've seen of that game), and to my understanding Ni No Kuni 2 is a bit different. All things considered, it looks like a JRPG I may enjoy, and there aren't a lot of those. The lack of difficulty is a bit worryisome though.

Octane

Octane

@Peek-a-boo With the PS5 on the horizon (late 2019 or 2020), I rather save my money and wait for the new console. The vanilla PS4 still looks fine to me!

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@Octane Agreed. If you didn't get PS4 Pro or XB1X around launch and already have a different PS4 or XB1 model respectively, don't bother now as true successors likely aren't too far out.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Octane Lack of difficulty is only an issue for me if I'm playing it for the gameplay. This looks like one of those games I'll play more for the character development/plot/presentation. Problem is that I have... concerns about those aspects already.

And the main character, Evan, is a male, even if he is somewhat tender and effeminate looking.

Haru17

If JRPG protagonist, then boy.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

@Ralizah Story is often a hit or miss with me, that's why I prefer engaging gameplay above anything else. If the gameplay is good, I can carry on without having to worry too much about the story. But I haven't looked into Ni No Kuni 2, so I have no idea how that game plays out. Or whether it's actually good or not, I just like the presentation from what I've seen.

And I'll also take the Tomb Raider recommendation if you don't mind

@Tsurii For what it's worth, Sony posted a short video on the combat system today. It seems more in-depth than previous games.

Octane

Dezzy

So I guess Ni No Kuni and God Of War are kind of the big spring games this year.

It's a tough choice. I choose Dark Souls Remastered.

Octane wrote:

@Peek-a-boo With the PS5 on the horizon (late 2019 or 2020), I rather save my money and wait for the new console. The vanilla PS4 still looks fine to me!

I'm guessing 2020 at the earliest. PS4s are still selling at the highest rate they ever have. Doesn't seem rational for them to look to the next console just yet.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@Octane I generally agree, which is why my favorite games tend to be the ones I have the most fun playing. With that said, if a game's story and/or presentation is gripping enough, it'll keep me playing through otherwise meh gameplay.

Tomb Raider was a lot of fun. While it's not absolutely brilliant when compared to the best adventure films, I feel confident in saying that it's the Godfather Part II of video game movies (which tend to be either mediocre or aggressively bad, although I have a soft spot in my heart for the first Mortal Kombat film).

Makes me want to play the 2013 reboot, actually (it's on the list).

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

Makes me want to play the 2013 reboot, actually (it's on the list).

That's regularly available for like $5 on PSN sales.
Great game, if you haven't played it. Although if you prefer better graphics, the sequel is pretty much identical.

Ralizah

@Dezzy It's been in my enormous Steam backlog for... 3 years now? Something like that. Just never get around to it.

I plan on playing both it and Rise... one day. Maybe this new one as well.

Dezzy

Meh, this is annoying (to me), although I suspect most won't care:

Apparently CD Projekt have announced that Cyberpunk 2077 will feature a character creator for the main hero rather than a predesigned character like Geralt. I was really hoping they'd avoid going down that route as I think on average, it leads to worse storytelling and character development.

This is one of my big pet peeves about modern AAA games (fast travel being the other main one). I think a lot of people subconsciously agree with me, in that they much prefer stories in games with predesigned characters, I just don't think many people have explicitly identified this as being one of the causes.

Seriously, look up at list of like top 10 video game stories and see how many examples you find of games with character creators. The only ones I've ever seen make those lists are Mass Effect and KOTOR.

Octane

@Dezzy That's the first thing I thought when I read that story. Having a predetermined character adds to the identity of a game. And the characters are way more memorable.

Character creation seems like the developers aren't confident enough in creating their own interesting character. ''We can't make a good character, so you go do it''. I'm not a fan of it.

Octane

TuVictus

Same here, it really made me feel the disconnect in Xenoblade X. The character just rides along for the story instead of being an active part of it.

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic