Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 5,941 to 5,960 of 16,083

Haruki_NLI

Octane wrote:

@BLP_Software *better than No Man's Sky.

Damn, Macho Man Randy Savage over here. Put the torches down man its not that serious.

But as I say on PS, I'm of two minds.

1 - Bubsy was average at its peak and terrible at the worst
2 - Its also been 20 years, fresh minds, new tech, new methods, new designs, why not give it a go?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

Jesus, that's a blast from the past that nobody expected... or particularly wanted...

It looks like it might be decent, though. I'll give it a chance.

I want a Cool Spot remaster now. And a proper Spyro the Dragon game. Cute spyro, not... whatever that thing in Skylanders was.

@Ryu_Niiyama Heh, can't disagree with you on Bats. Leave it to a rich heir to fetishize a common tragedy (as painful as I'm sure that was for him) to the point where he wastes millions of dollars designing expensive gadgets so that he can dress up in a halloween costume and beat up common criminals. The thing is, a LOT of the adaptations actively acknowledge the absurdity of this, which is why I don't mind it so much. Unlike other superheroes, there is something distinctly self-righteous and narcissistic about Batman. Like his refusal to kill super-villains, even though, as you point out, they break out of prison every other day and persist in murdering and terrorizing Gotham's citizens every time. Again, though, characters in his story often point out the hypocrisy of sacrificing innocent lives to protect the sanctity of his personal morality. Now, we could say this is just lampshading bad writing, but I always saw it as an unusual twist on the tropes we normally associate with superheroes.

I've not extensively read The Punisher, but I guess my problem with him is the same problem I have with Kratos: he seems unrepentantly cruel, angry, and violent. I get that it's his schtick, but I really can't have fun watching/reading/playing as someone like that.

Yeah, Deadpool, uh, isn't for everybody. His sense of humor is a bit crude and anarchic, which rubs certain people the wrong way.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

I guess we can't make jokes anymore, can we?

Octane

KirbyTheVampire

Vampyr looks pretty interesting, but I can't say I'm a big fan of the completely black or white morality systems in games like this. Some shades of gray would be nice. I realize that that's a lot harder to do, but I don't always want to have to choose between only being either a knight in shining armor or a completely evil psycho. Sometimes antiheroes are much more interesting than full-blown heroes or villains. I also really dislike playing as people who are full blown evil, so when I have to choose between, for example, saving someone or tearing their throat out in front of their spouse, there's not much of a decision involved at all, at least for me.

Another issue with that is that there's no real decision involved because there are only two endings (presumably that's the case anyway, judging by what I've read). You choose to be either a hero or villain, so you'll automatically just pick whatever is the "right" choice for which of the two you're being in that particular playthrough so that you get either the hero or villain ending.

KirbyTheVampire

Dezzy

The video game industry loves the man with child companion games right now.

Last Of Us and Walking Dead have conditioned people!

In other news. Some needs to send Yacht Club Games pictures of this dude from the UK election.

Untitled

Buckethead is cleary the next logical step from Shovelknight

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@KirbyTheVampire Ah, another game that is succumbing to simplistic "saint or Hitler" logic, eh? Can't say I'm a fan, either. Life is complex and full of hard choices, and oftentimes, the "right" choice isn't immediately apparent.

I can forgive game like Bioshock and Mass Effect that came out almost ten years ago, but I think we should have moved beyond this point by now.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I think for an interactive medium, "saint or Hitler" is going to be the most appealing to most people, though the choices in the game should create gray areas where you defy your own intentions, much like life does. But forcing a character to be in the gray works for a linear narrative because you explore and learn about that characters reasoning through narration, exposition, dialogue, and observation through the 4th wall. But for an interactive medium EVERYONE makes their choices intending to be a saint unless they just want to be a jerk and see what happens, because generally in life most people are trying to be a saint. Even Hitler was trying to be a saint....in his own mind, he was! All the horrors were just necessary steps to build paradise!

So just like real life it makes sense that should be your set of options....but then the game should throw curveballs at your intentions that make you actually think and go against your intended alignment. But the game also shouldn't reward/punish based on those choices not "maxing your alignment stat". That's where they get it wrong. By encouraging maxing your stats and rewarding it, they pre-determine that you have to be max evil or max perfect, instead of letting those decisions just guide the character interactions.

Also, I want Infamous 4. This conversation reminded me it's been a while. Do it, Sony! Second Son was "ok" but clearly rushed and incomplete.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia When I play a game, I don't go in intending to be a saint. I react in a way I think is reasonable given the situation. At least, if I'm given that choice. "Saint or Hitler" design usually results from lazy scenario writing, plain and simple. There should be some middle-ground between the blatantly obvious choices. I'm not saying everything needs to be Planescape: Torment, but a lot of these games NEED better writing.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Every game can be Planescape: Torment. I'm totally cool with that

NEStalgia

Peek-a-boo

WipEout Omega Collection is the cleanest, sharpest and smoothest game I have played so far this year.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

And the story mode in Tekken 7 is surprisingly good! While the number of longtime Tekken characters that makes an appearance in the story is quite low, I still enjoyed the way it was delivered. I even had a little lump in my throat when - BIG SPOILER! - Kayuza kills Heihachi for good.

Akuma is waayyy too overpowered though, especially in his 'final form'...

Playing two PlayStation classics in a space of one week is such a good feeling, and right before E3 too.

:EDIT: I am still playing the Gran Turismo Sport beta too, which has recently received an update in terms of visuals.

Untitled

Polyphony Digital are literal wizards.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

KirbyTheVampire

@NEStalgia Totally agree on the morality statistics thing. Games like Infamous (Those games were great, don't get me wrong, although Second Son was kind of meh) basically force you to take one path or another in order to upgrade your character with either good or evil perks and to get the good or evil ending. That's why I'm into decision-based games like Until Dawn or TellTale's The Walking Dead. Setting aside the fact that your decisions don't really matter in the end in TWD games, you aren't making them based on whether you're trying to get the good or evil ending, or to increase your good or evil stats. You're making them in order to help you and your group survive, and quite often those decisions aren't totally black and white. I don't know how they could implement something similar to that in a game like Vampyr, but I think it'd be pretty cool.

Still, I imagine the game isn't trying to focus quite as much on decisions as games like TellTale's games do, so the Hitler or saint morality system might work okay. I just hope it isn't like Infamous where you're punished from straying from your Hitler or saint path occasionally.

KirbyTheVampire

Dezzy

Wipeout still looks a bit behind fast racing Neo tbh. In terms of graphics.

Dezzy

Untitled

Octane

@Dezzy I hope they used that extra year to polish the game. The last few were pretty rough and downright broken at times.

Octane

Dezzy

They used the last year to figure out how you could jump off a pyramid into a bale of hay.
Someone pointed out that it's quite a long horizontal distance to cover. But they persevered.

Octane

@Dezzy Good to know. I hope it involves a giant slingshot and a UFO. I want the bale of hay to be carried by fifteen crocodiles.

Octane

Dezzy

Just read the info on the game and it's actually being set during the Roman conquest of Egypt.

That's a bit unexpected. I would've thought they would've gone with the earlier stuff and saved the Romans for a different game.

-Green-

lol. The hippo in the art seems so random. Like it's just there all alone in the corner looking all derpy in front of epic architectures.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Octane

@Dezzy Indeed, that's 2,000 years later than I expected... Ancient Egypt makes more sense to me, since that's one of the first big civilasations. Egypt during the Roman conquest was basically Greece + pyramids.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic