Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 13,481 to 13,500 of 16,083

jump

Zuljaras wrote:

I admit I have not played GTA V but I played GTA 1, 2, 3 and a little of IV.

But for me GTA is to be played to cause mayhem. I mean driving crazy and beating hookers with a bat.

Never really cared about any of the stories inside. Aren't they all about generic gangster is stuff like that?

The generic gangster stuff is fine by itself but it takes it's self too seriously now compared to the earlier games. It's why I prefer Saints Row, just over the top stupid fun even if GTA is the better sandbox. I also rate Saints Row as the better mayhem and destruction simulator over Crackdown too.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

NEStalgia

@jump IMO Saint's Row actually has more story and missions.

And Nolan North.

NEStalgia

TheFrenchiestFry

So Deathloop got delayed from Q4 2020 to Q2 2021, which is likely about to make Godfall the only console exclusive for PS5 at launch unless I'm missing something, in addition to Spider-Man: Miles Morales being the sole headlining true exclusive game

Getting some Nintendo Switch vibes from that launch lineup now

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

NEStalgia

@TheFrenchiestFry Switch had a great launch lineup. PS5/XSeX are squarely in the WiiU camp. A bunch of 2 year old games, and NSMBU.

So for the launch of the 9th generation, Sony gives us glorified DLC. MS gives us an Ori patch. Nintendo gives us Pikmin U. #winning

The 9the generation console launch is the office drunk on the dance floor that doesn't know the party isn't until tomorrow.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

TheFrenchiestFry

@NEStalgia I don't really take away much from the Switch lineup outside of Zelda. Super Bomberman R was way too overpriced for what it was at launch and there was a smattering of indie titles as well but that's pretty much it.

Miles Morales is going to be for the PS5 what Zelda was for the Switch. It's likely going to be the game that saves the system launch from being drab and uninteresting in terms of new content

TheFrenchiestFry

NEStalgia

@TheFrenchiestFry Massive reboot of one of the oldest, most iconic game series ever that re-imagines one of the most popular genres around, surprising everyone = Switch.

DLC addon for popular comic franchise game = PS5.

Not really the same ballpark, but sadly the sales will probably bare out like it was.

NEStalgia

TheFrenchiestFry

@NEStalgia I mean I don't really call BotW a reboot per se because Zelda has been known to change aesthetics, settings and gameplay on multiple occasions. It's just an installment in a long running series.

Plus it's already known that Miles Morales is a completely standalone campaign that won't function like an add-on to the previous game. It also helps that said previous game is not only the fastest selling PS4 title of all time, but also the best selling game based on a comic book character of all time. It was like 5 million shy of BotW's sales numbers as of last August. It's not going to be as long as something like Breath of the Wild but undoubtedly they're probably putting the same amount of effort towards the density of the content that it will have.

TheFrenchiestFry

NEStalgia

@TheFrenchiestFry BoTW was definitely a reboot in that it went back to the origins of the first game, leaving behind most of the interfening years, and went to reinvent that original formula with modern technology. It's as much a reboot as Tomb Raider and God of War is.

It won't function like an add-on because they prevented it from running on PS4 to use it to push PS5s. But it's still an add-on standalone DLC to the existing PS4 game and not its own complete game. Much like First Light, but bigger. And probably expensiver.

It sells big because A) It's a Sony exclusive which buys magic critic points and magic praise, and B) because it's Spiderman - even the trashy Spiderman games sell big. Like Star Wars, you don't even need a good game, it just sells on brand license. Granted, it's Insomniac and therefore is a great game, but that's really the secondary factor in sales and reception here. I would respect Sony more if they pulled the "we're splitting the DLC standalone to the new hardware only" if it were, say, GoW, or HzD. But doing with with their licensed Marvel characters just screams "hey we're leveraging our purchased brand power to force hardware adoption!" - it's smart business but it's smarmy and leaves a sour taste.

NEStalgia

redd214

I love my switches and BOTW is firmly in my top 10 games ever, but to say that it had a "great launch lineup" is pretty delusional lol. Snipperclips was cool but outside of that it was pretty barebones and that's being generous. We don't even have the full PS5 launch lineup nor do we have any idea of how substantial MM is so it's silly to compare before we even know.

redd214

Grumblevolcano

Switch launch day was bad, launch year was extremely strong.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@NEStalgia The whole "Sony = critic points" argument easily applies to Nintendo's exclusives just as much as it does to Sony's. Breath of the Wild is a fine game but I never thought it was a "10/10 PERFECT BEST GAME EVER MADE" kind of game like outlets including Nintendo Life themselves were awarding it, in a year where we had Cuphead and Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice. The magic praise goes both ways. There are a lot of Nintendo games I view as very overrated, as well as PlayStation exclusives, but you can't deny that there's a crap ton of bias directed towards Nintendo, and that this magic praise you speak of doesn't just apply to Sony because PlayStation.
Also Miles Morales definitely looks more comparable to something like Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time rather than First Light to Infamous. It reuses assets but the visual presentation looks sharper, it's going to benefit from stuff like the faster loading times and even increased resolution/framerate options, and it's taking those assets and applying them to a standalone story that is disconnected from the previous game entirely like Majora's Mask, considering the plot is said to be set a year after the conclusion of the first game's DLC campaign. Also Miles has certain powers that Peter just doesn't have like producing electric energy from his fingers, and stinging people with venom shots, in addition to villains specific to him that he doesn't share with Peter, which can be compared to the differing plots, mechanics and tones from Ocarina to Majora as well. The game is definitely going to be more than just mere DLC, or a ploy to lock a game to a certain system just to move units.

TheFrenchiestFry

redd214

@Grumblevolcano agreed, don't think they'll be able to top that anytime soon unless BOTW 2, an Odyssey follow up and a few B tier games all come out within 6 months of each other.

redd214

NEStalgia

@TheFrenchiestFry I do agree that the magic praise goes to Nintendo as well, though I don't think Cuphead and Hellblade come close to numerous other games from that same year. Cuphead is a short "Nintendo-hard" boss-rush platform action game. Cool little game but not even close to a GOTY contender. Hellblade is......flawed. it's an art-house experiment. Cool, but again, nowhere close to GOTY. BOTW may or may not qualify for GOTY.....but I think where it does earn its stripes is like the Halo conversation going on in the XB thread, it redefined the way the genre is thought of and challenged the preconceptions. That makes it IMPORTANT in the gaming timeline, and that almost preapproves it for GOTY. Open world will be looked at as "pre-BOTW and post-BOTW." Just as shooters tend to be "pre-Halo and post-Halo" - important games certainly get the 10/10 GOTY treatment. But yes, Nintendo and Sony both get the "magic praise" in general.

As for MM - I don't think "sharper presentation, faster loading, increased graphics performance" qualifies an expansion as a whole new game. You could patch the old game to have the same assets. If this were PC and not a console it would be an expansion pack and the graphics upgrade would apply to the base game as well. This is purely Sony (and Nintendo's) hideous "generations" model being exploited to leverage the license to move hardware. Again, I could respect it more if it were GoW or HzD, but it's so transparently dangling the licenced brand and forcing new hardware to get the continuation of the same installment because they can, not because they had to. Again, smart business, but smarmy.

NEStalgia

TheFrenchiestFry

@NEStalgia I was using the sharper presentation thing to point out that this game was clearly in development for PS5 first and wasn't just locked to that system for the sake of pushing people to buy the new system. I don't really view it as particularly scummy. This isn't a Persona 5 or Breath of the Wild situation where it was in development for one system first and then ported last minute. This was clearly meant to be a tech showcase first and foremost for the PS5 in particular. I made the MM comparison in regards to how it's reusing certain assets to craft a standalone story with gameplay mechanics that were not present at all in the preceding game, to make it stand on its own and not just as something that could be put out as an expansion for the previous game. Also Hellblade was possibly the best narrative driven game of 2017 as a whole and I'd gladly put it over BotW in terms of how much I ended up really getting invested into it. It's my personal GOTY, with Persona 5 in a close second

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

@NEStalgia You're right, Cuphead isn't a game of the year contender.

It's a game of the generation contender.

Absolutely one of the best action-platformers ever made.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@TheFrenchiestFry well that makes sense considering the Spiderman showcase e3 was pretty much the announcement that they intend to abandon ps4 and spend all their time on ps5.

It's ok, i was a vita owner when the feb ps4 showcase happened. I'm used to Sony abandoning me to play with their younger, richer interest.

@Ralizah You would say that, snob.

I like cuphead, sadly i haven't seen it all because i suck at it massively, but it's very cool. That said, it's small. Mostly just boss rush stuff. It's a very well made, very niche game. But I'm not sure a niche game like that is goty material. Though that's not too say gta, rdr, cyberpunk automatically do by virtue of mainstreamness either.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Well, it's one of my favorite games of 2017. I reject the inherently collectivist mentality people in GamerLand seem to adopt that there's an objectively correct choice for the best game released every year, and everyone must conform or be shunned as dirty non-believers.

I believe this is an example of mastery vs innovation. Cuphead doesn't massively recontextualize the genre it's situated in or force a rethinking of certain types of game design like BotW does, but I'd argue it demonstrates a mastery of its genre mechanically, in addition to having one of the most jaw-dropping aesthetic presentations I've ever seen in a video game. It's one of the tightest and most satisfying 2D action-platformers ever made, IMO. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I've never been of the belief that only mainstream or massively accessible games are worthy of praise and celebration.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

@NEStalgia Still a Vita owner myself actually

It's still my go to machine for Final Fantasy, Persona, Metal Gear, Mega Man and Suikoden

TheFrenchiestFry

NEStalgia

@TheFrenchiestFry I have 3 vitae around. All the oled og models. One was never opened in its box...i bought it on a black Friday deal because i like having console spares on hand usually (won't be happening for ages for PSeX5 with the price) at the time, i thought it would have a great future as a pocket ps3. Still awaiting greatness.

Switch is definitely the better ff machine now. Persona, however......

@ralizah Remember, pinky up! It's leviosa, not leviosaa......

I agree to a point, however i think for something to be the universal standout of the YEAR it has to be something with very broad appeal. That garage band you listened to in your turtle neck BEFORE they played music may be really tubular, but it's hard to give them the album of the year award when only 50 people even know what music they play. . Best arthouse from so underground you probably never heard of it can't represent "best of the year" which inherently coveys that is something most people should experience...cuphead is definitely not a game for the 22m acnh fans. Though they're appropriately masochistic, clearly.

It's not even really a game for me. I suck at timing based action, Platinum games, etc. But i wish i was good at it, i recognize it's great.

NEStalgia

FeDoR1988

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

@NEStalgia Still a Vita owner myself actually

It's still my go to machine for Final Fantasy, Persona, Metal Gear, Mega Man and Suikoden

What good memories Metal Gear brings me, I hope they release a remake for PS5.

FeDoR1988

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic