Forums

Topic: Google Stadia

Posts 281 to 300 of 387

ThanosReXXX

@blockfight My data cap is a normal 3GB's a month, as most providers offer down here (Netherlands), anything above that is surplus or necessitates you to pay extra, and from what you described, you apparently have around 50GB's each month, which honestly speaking, is a ridiculous amount of data, something that no normal or average consumer would ever use up in a single month, so it wouldn't be interesting at all, unless you can bring what's left of it this month, along with you to the following month.

Over here, that would be considered as something that's even WAY beyond/above a premium bundle, which averages out on anything between 20 - 30 GB at the most. An example: one of the cheapest providers here offers 10GB per month, for 10 euros a month, so 50 would obviously also cost 50 euros, which no one in their right mind would want to pay for a smart phone subscription, especially since that's only data, so actual phone usage for calling and so forth would still come on top of that, easily making it go to 60 - 70 euros a month. My current subscription costs me 22 euros a month, phone included (Samsung Galaxy A6), nothing fancy, but I don't watch entire movies while on the road or while traveling, nor do I use any kind of social media apps. Well, except for WhatsApp, that is.

As for me celebrating: should have been a bit more clear, but it is more about me celebrating being right, since I've already predicted most of what has happened so far, and Google does indeed have a long history of not going the distance with their side projects, so I'm still expecting that it will not be all that different for Stadia. And I also think that we don't really need a player like Google in the gaming industry.

They bring nothing new or revolutionary that hasn't already been done better before, or with FAR more experience. xCloud is also a relatively new service, but it already runs rings around Stadia, and then some.

And then there's of course the point that they don't allow you to keep your "bought" games. All you're buying, is a small bundle of data on a remote server, but it's never truly yours. Another thing that goes too far against the whole idea and concept of what a home console or gaming service should offer.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

blockfight

Data plans here in Ireland with most providers are unlimited. There is fair usage policies but they range from anywhere between 40 and 80gb per month.
Personally i use about 15gb per month from just Spotify and Internet alone (i listen to a lot of podcasts and music while commuting to work).
I take your points about not truly owning the game. But the same is true for netflix or Spotify. I know they're different forms of entertainment but nobody cares if they shut down in the morning, despite the fact you will lose access to countless amounts of shows,movies and albums.
Gamepass is a great service but it's not for everyone. I would rather put that €13 a month subscription towards 2 to 3 new AAA games a year that i actually have an interest in.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

blockfight

More new games added to Pro subscription for September:
Hitman, Embyr, Metro Last Light, Hello Neighbour, Bomberman Online.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

ThanosReXXX

@blockfight Sorry for the belated reply. Just wanted to add that although I do see and to some extent agree with your point about the other services, they're not entirely comparable, because Netflix, for all intent and purposes, has always been advertised as a rental service, and the same goes for Spotify, whereas game related services such as Stadia specifically advertise their products as you actually buying, and thus owning them.

And that is actually kind of a phallacy, because you actually never really do own them, or only virtually and only for as long as any such service is supported. And such practices, while slowly becoming more common, aren't really completely mainstream yet, in the video game market.

Too many people still want to truly buy to own...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Octane

We will never know...

Octane

ThanosReXXX

@Octane Yes we will. It's just that I'm not that used to typing longer messages on my smart phone, so I screw it up a bit, sometimes...

blockfight

@ThanosReXXX No worries. I totally get the points your making. The next year in gaming is gonna be very interesting to see what way different companies go. Exciting times!

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

ThanosReXXX

@blockfight Ha, I definitely agree with you on that.

Rexenoboy

@ThanosReXXX
I wasn't aware mobile subscriptions were that expensive in The Netherlands. I'm from Belgium, and my subscription costs €28/month which includes 20Gb of data at 4G and unlimited data at 3G, unlimited calls and unlimited text messages.

Treasure Acquired

RR529

If we're talking mobile data caps, here in the US mine is $25 a month (well, technically it's a family plan that's $100 for 4 phones, $25 apiece), and each of us has 20 GBs of data a month, with unlimited text & phone.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

ThanosReXXX

@Rexenoboy Actual unlimited data has been banned over here, for the most part, unless it's under the guise of the so-called "fair use policy", which in call time translates to 3000 minutes per month. Don't actually know what the data cap is for that, but it definitely isn't ACTUAL unlimited data.

But I actually made a mistake in my comment back there, because in most cases, it's even worse. Here's a couple of examples of the cheapest SIM-only providers over here:

https://lyca.nl/sim-only/
https://www.simyo.nl/
https://mobile.lebara.com/nl/en

blockfight

I contacted my provider in Ireland to confirm this a few weeks back to see how much data I could use if I was to stream Stadia to phone. A lot of the companies here say "unlimited" but when you dig down into it most actually have a fair usage policy that varies company to company.
Up until recently the cap has been at 15gb for most providers. Don't know if they upped this due to Covid or what but my company is now at 60gb and most others are similar.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

ThanosReXXX

@blockfight Yeah, it nearly always boils down to a fair use policy. Take our local version of "unlimited" calling, for instance: that's actually 3000 minutes per month, but it's effectively still "as good as" unlimited, because who the heck would even come close to burning through that many minutes in a month?

I know I sure as hell wouldn't. I believe I currently have a 240 minute bundle, and I don't even use that up completely.

blockfight

New Pro games available for the month, including the new Super Bomberman R 64-player Battle Royale. Great fun.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

redd214

@blockfight hopefully we get a date for the Immortals Fenix Rising demo. Looking forward to giving that a shot

redd214

blockfight

And now Cyberpunk has been confirmed to release on same day as consoles. Instant purchase.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

blockfight

Looks like nintendo could be heading down the Stadia route in future when it comes to big AAA games that the Switch can't handle. Interesting times in the gaming market. Personally I like this option. Better Switch players have the option to play the games in some form or other than having no choice at all.

Edited on by blockfight

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

JaxonH

I agree.

I have no interest in Stadia or any other cloud gaming platform. I have PC for native 4k 60 Ultra at home, with Switch for exclusives and portable play. So up until this point I really didn’t care too much about what’s going on with the cloud.

But after buying Control, I’ve realized it’s a great option for Switch. At least, for games that could never otherwise run. It doesn’t look as good as on my PC, and it appears streaming 720p, and only performance mode feels good enough to where lag isn’t really noticeable, but it still looks better than other switch games, which means the people buying it won’t really notice it as a worst looking game. And it does give people the option to play some of these really excellent games they wouldn’t otherwise have access to.

I just hope the quality of the cloud service they’re using ups their game to compete with the quality offered by Stadia.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic