Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 1,361 to 1,380 of 1,675

Dezzy

Well I guess some people might appreciate that sort of thing, but I don't really see the point myself.

Based on what they've shown and said, it sounds to me like the only one that might be an actual improvement is FF5.
(FF1 and 2 have PSP versions, FF3 and 4 have DS/iphone versions, FF6 original already looks better than what they're showing here)

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

So, just back from a nice day at the cinema...

...that Square-Enix presentation was sure something, huh?

Untitled

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

Origin is supposed to be an FF1 prequel and yet the main protagonists look like they just got clothes fresh from a Gap or JCPenney

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

VoidofLight

@TheFrenchiestFry @Eel I feel like the protagonists are probably just going to end up being from the real world or something. Also, the armor is probably based on classes, with their appearances being normal clothing before they gain said class.

Edited on by VoidofLight

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Eel

I dunno, it looks pretty much just like the “stylish modern people living in fantasy land” style they used in FFXV

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

VoidofLight

@Eel True, but it doesn't really fit the world of Final Fantasy 1, which is High Fantasy. The basic clothing the three have are more modern, and look more like clothing from XV's world, or our world.

Eel

To be fair, it’s kinda hard to judge if this is a “it’s only them” case, or if they’ll FFXV-ify the world of FFI, because we’ve only seen those characters and Garland.

As as we know, villains and princesses can be as high fantasy as they want.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

I feel bad for everyone who was really excited for that game. For some reason I wasn't at all, so I don't feel like I've lost much from the fact that it looks like the laziest console game with Final Fantasy in the title for a decade.

ReaperMelia

@DarthNocturnal It sounded like his Dissidia voice to me personally.

@Dezzy I'd say it's competing with Dissidia NT for that title, which... was also by Team Ninja. Maybe they shouldn't be getting to work with the Final Fantasy IP anymore... Otherwise, I also wasn't really interested by the rumors. I'm not really big on Souls games though admittedly, so that was a big part of it. I was a bit worried after hearing they wanted it to be dark and mature, and, well... it pretty much turned out exactly how I worried it would.

"Little by little. Each day as it comes. That's how we should live."

Dezzy

@VIIIAxel

I actually thought Dissidia NT looked quite good from the trailers. I just never bothered with it because the reviews were so bad.

VoidofLight

@VIIIAxel If they thought that was "Dark and Mature".. they really need to play other M rated games for research. What this trailer felt like was just a massive edge-fest. Protagonist who says he wants to kill something for literally no reason. Loads of brutal deaths just because it's "cool", and loads of gore because that's obviously what makes something mature! Definitely not nuance..

ReaperMelia

@Dezzy Dissidia NT wasn't really too bad as its own thing, but it was a massive step down from the PSP entries. Lots of cut characters, cut mechanics, significantly smaller movesets, the story mode was really just a cutscene compilation with a few fights... They wanted to lean more into competitive eSports with NT, but it completely lost the fighting game/RPG hybrid charm of the first two in the process and it never even took off in the competitive scene. I had some fun with NT, but it was still a pretty big disappointment in my opinion.

@VoidofLight My thoughts exactly. I was worried it would mistake edginess for maturity, which seems to be exactly what happened. At least it kind of circled around into something that's hilariously edgy, but it's still hard to believe this isn't a joke. I really hope the combat's at least fun so there's something of value here, but I can't even figure that out since the demo's broken...

"Little by little. Each day as it comes. That's how we should live."

kkslider5552000

I'm not particularly excited for the Team Ninja Final Fantasy game, but I don't care what they do or don't do with FF1. And I do feel the response is a bit hyperbolic.

That being said, "hey what if we take this classic NES game and make it grimdark" is such a creatively bankrupt idea, that it's insulting based on existing on that basis alone. I've heard comparisons to Bomberman Act Zero, which is what no game should ever want. This could be a decent game, and honestly there's a reasonable chance the story won't matter, or at least not as much as a mainline FF game. But the inherent idea of what they're doing with it is so obviously bad they'll have to make something really good to make up for that.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jedgamesguy

Dezzy wrote:

I feel bad for everyone who was really excited for that game. For some reason I wasn't at all, so I don't feel like I've lost much from the fact that it looks like the laziest console game with Final Fantasy in the title for a decade.

Thing is, I didn't even know this game existed so I wasn't excited for it. Still a massive turn off though, with all the crystal garbage, chaos this, chaos that, an- you know what? I'm repeating myself here.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

jedgamesguy

There's one positive though. We get to hear more of Cherami Leigh. Dunno if that's enough to redeem the game though.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Dezzy

VoidofLight wrote:

@VIIIAxel If they thought that was "Dark and Mature".. they really need to play other M rated games for research. What this trailer felt like was just a massive edge-fest.

It looked like a 13 year old's interpretation of "Dark and Mature".

VoidofLight

@Dezzy Agreed. It looks like something I would've found to be amazing when I was around that age.

jedgamesguy

I've been laughing nonstop for the last fifteen minutes because only now has it hit me just how absolutely dumb this game is. Reading the YouTube comments makes it even worse; here's some of the good ones;

Nice to see Cor: The Immortal and Prompto again

No more NOMURA. The characters and concept are such eyerolly trash. My sympathies for the skilled artists that have to carry Tetsuya Nomuras palanquin.

From the character design their voices and enemies are incredibly generic and cliché. Seriously square enix needs to reinvent itself or it will face the same crisis it had in the 2000s

It all feels like a game parody from years ago

So... Edgy cor kills edgy garland in an edgy castle? Ok

The historic legend of black samurai, pink haired boy, and blonde angry dude in plain shirt and pants.

Cor, Prompto, and Black Gladio take on Ardyn's corrupted brother while Ignis starts his own cooking show

Prompto isn't getting enough praise for his Lightning cosplay here.

And finally; my own I’m exited to play as three protagonists I’ve already seen before; Lightning Prompto, Recoloured Gladio, and Edgelord Cor.

(the exited is on purpose)

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic