Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker Level Creation Challenge Thread [Voting for: Time Limits, New Theme: Pink Coins, Deadlines: April 3rd]

Posts 101 to 120 of 363

MasterWario

Alright, well I went and started my level over from scratch, and it came out soooo much better. Here's a level I can actually be proud of!

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

iBazly

Hey level designers! Just letting you know I am still alive - been a busy week. I won't be able to be home tonight because of an event going on in Toronto that runs all night so, BOTH voting and submissions for the new theme will end tomorrow night (instead of voting ending tonight as usual). Thank you for all of the submissions and I will also aim to have mine in by tomorrow!

Also my vote goes to DK's Vine Dilemmas by @mrichston. SOME parts of it felt a little bit unfair (like those spinies right at the beginning, come on ) . BUT, the level taught me so much about creative ways to use certain mechanics that I had never thought of before!

I also noticed that was a general theme with these levels: each one seemed to incorporate mechanics in a way that I never would have thought of. Very impressive stuff!

mrichston

iBazly wrote:

SOME parts of it felt a little bit unfair (like those spinies right at the beginning, come on ) .

You see spinies at the beginning and you have platform higher than they can go. How's that unfair?
Of course if you try to speed run it through, they might be bigger problem. This is true for all enemies in that stage.

Thank you for vote.

SuperWiiU

My entry for the No Enemies theme. Playing tip: Time the spinning during the jumps right to reach further distances, arrows are present to help you with that. And remember wall(jump)s aren't always your friend.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

MasterWario

@SuperWiiU: I played your level and thought it had some great jumping puzzles. The only thing was A) The sliding puzzle was a bit distasteful because the level was about jumps, and B) I lost yoshi and had to take this shortcut that bypassed the sliding puzzle to beat the level.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My Pushmo Levels

SuperWiiU

MasterWario wrote:

@SuperWiiU: I played your level and thought it had some great jumping puzzles. The only thing was A) The sliding puzzle was a bit distasteful because the level was about jumps, and B) I lost yoshi and had to take this shortcut that bypassed the sliding puzzle to beat the level.

If you lose Yoshi why don't you get one of the infinite amount of other Yoshi's?
And that's not a shortcut, but a bug. I didn't have any time this weekend so I had to finish the level tonight and I missed that spot. The sliding puzzle was something different at first but due to Mario Maker changing the rhythm of the moving blocks depending on how you approach it it didn't work out. I made a slightly updated version with an easier jump section instead of the sliding puzzle(and removed the shortcut). Doesn't count for the competition, but try it out: 6F96-0000-008D-E19F

Edited on by SuperWiiU

crimsontadpoles

I had quite a bit of difficulty in coming up with an idea for No Enemies. Eventually, I created a long story explaining why enemies don't exist, and worked from there. So this is my No Enemies level:

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

MasterWario

@SuperWiiU: A yoshi never popped out of there, even after I destroyed the blocks. I had no idea yoshi could even come out of pipes.

My Pushmo Levels

Zyrac

@MasterWario: I was able to get a Yoshi from there after losing the one from the block. The thing about pipes is that they generally won't spit stuff out if you're too close to them. That's important to remember when playing other people's levels.

I think it was a little confusing having two places to get Yoshi from, though. It would have been better to just have the pipe, and maybe put it in a more convenient spot. That aside, I really liked the level overall.

Zyrac

Twitter:

MasterWario

@Zyrac: The thing that's weird is I remember waiting a bit too. I guess I didn't wait long enough. It's fine anyway, I didn't like the sliding block part to begin with. XD

My Pushmo Levels

SuperWiiU

MasterWario wrote:

@SuperWiiU: A yoshi never popped out of there, even after I destroyed the blocks. I had no idea yoshi could even come out of pipes.

There have to be at least 3 blocks between you and a pipe before something comes out. As soon as you do, one will pop out within a second. I didn't want to use a pipe anyway, but using any door/pipe sadly always deletes the Yoshi.

iBazly

Hey everyone! So the votes are all in and the winner of the Costume Fun theme is @Zyrac! I'm just getting the entries for the No Enemies theme sorted out now, so I will post about that soon. Unfortunately I did not have the time this week to get my entry polished enough - I will still share it once it's done, but right now it just doesn't work, so I will be sitting out of this theme.

Also, @InternetBowser - was that an entry for the costume fun theme? Unfortunately that theme is already over. Or if it was for "No Enemies" let me know, as I am organizing that list right now.

iBazly

Okay team! Here is the round up of levels for the theme "No Enemies". Sorry for my absence, life, ya know. Since I'm running behind, we'll make voting open until next Wednesday at 11:59 PM EST.

@Ordepro - Jumping Mastery - EA1E-0000-0018-E924
@Zyrac - Solitary Sprint - 94D1-0000-007F-B5A7
@Blue_Blur - Jump! Jump! Jump! - 3724-0000-007F-CE5B
@eXtremeHippo - Floatdown Mario - 6BE1-0000-0020-59B0
@mrichston - One Way to Go Through - 3C3F-0000-0083-ACAB
@MasterWario - The Castle that Never Wakes - 4D40-0000-0085-A457
@SuperWiiU - A Blind Jump Away From Flying - 590A-0000-008D-654F
@crimsontadpoles - Medusa's Castle - 6E2F-0000-008D-90DA
@InternetBowser - B7C2-0000-008C-312B

You also have from now until next Thursday at 11:59 PM EST to submit to the new theme: Flying! This is another vague theme that could be interpreted in many ways! Excited to see what people create for this one.

Edited on by iBazly

iBazly

One last update: it turns out Nintendolife forums don't have the formatting options I was hoping for in order to keep an archive of all of our levels on here, so I've thrown together a slightly crappy looking blog (because it's free lol) to keep a record of our course IDs. You can check it out here:

http://nlfcontestarchives.blogspot.ca/

If you don't want to be listed on this, please let me know, and I will remove you from it!

SuperWiiU

As we're already running late, isn't it better the make the next theme go to Sunday the 18th? A bit more room to develop wouldn't hurt anyone.
And the new theme is disappointing to me because I already made a flying level for the previous two themes... Guess I'll just make another.

And regarding the blog for the archive. Wouldn't it be better to make the formatting you want with a wordprocessor or something, then take a screenshot of it and upload that here? It would look just like the forum did have the formatting options and we wouldn't need a different site to host them.

EDIT: I've played all of the levels including my second level??? Solitary Sprint(didn't have time to finish that one yet though) and InternetBowser's level, which is for the no enemies theme as it isn't costume fun and there are no enemies(in that they present a danger). Ordepro's level does have an enemy though.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

iBazly

@SuperWiiU : If people want more time, I'm fine with that, I'll leave that up to everyone here. Also how you interpret the theme is up to you! I didn't say what should be flying or what flying means - there are plenty of options. Also the formatting I want requires a feature that NL forums don't have and is not possible with a screenshot: text blocks that can be collapsed. The problem is that if we just list EVERY level made on the FIRST post, it will get too big. But there is no way on the forums to make it smaller. But I want people to be able to come here and quickly access all of the levels that have been made for each theme, without making a post that takes up a bunch of space.

Blue_Blur

@mrichston: Thanks for the vote!

All were great levels, but my vote has to go to @crimsontadpoles!

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.