Forums

Topic: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA

Posts 181 to 200 of 228

LzWinky

You can also map the controls as you want.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

DonkeyDiddyKong

Finished it clocking in just overt 50 hours. I enjoyed it a lot but really drags towards the end. I was PISSED at the stupid ending but didn't realise til later that it's because I got the bad ending. I thought you only had to get all castaways. I only missed about 4 quests and don't even know what my reputation level was on completion.

DonkeyDiddyKong

RR529

@DonkeyDiddyKong, if you check the Help tab in the Journal, that's where your current reputation is listed.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Magician

Just starting playing over the weekend. About half a dozen hours in now. After having played Memories of Celceta a few years ago, I feel right at home here in Lacrimosa of Dana. Smooth combat, nice voice acting in cutscenes, good progression systems, etc. Nothing but fun so far.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Agriculture

This game is amazing. I've played it quite a while now and it's easily one of the best Switch games out now. It's the polar opposite of Xenoblades, which I didn't like at all.

Agriculture

Joekun

At about 25 hours in I switched to easy mode. I was just getting tired of battling beasts and then having to sit around to regain my health. I don’t feel like they’ve struck the right balance with the computer controlled characters AI overall. I’d much rather just play as Adol like in previous games, but I’m enjoying it a bit more now.

Joekun

Ralizah

Just finished this, and will post my impressions in the "beaten games" thread. What a great experience! I love how both of the JRPGs I've played so far on the Switch (Ys VIII and XC2) have been pretty amazing games. Not counting Valkyria Chronicles 4, I think my next JRPG for the system will be Tales of Vesperia. I've heard really good things about that.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Vinny

How is it in comparison to Ys: Memories of Celceta?
Played a few hours of that game, and even though I enjoyed Seven (which is similar in terms of gameplay), I wasn't feeling it. Thinking about skipping to VIII.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Ralizah

@Vinny Unsure, as Ys VIII is my first Ys game. I was thinking about transitioning to Memories of Celceta the next time I play one of these games, though. What didn't you like about it?

I'll probably make the Ys series one of my yearly playthroughs.

Vinny

@Ralizah Hard to explain but overall I found it kinda bland.
The Vita version also runs under a weird, excessive bloom filter, and framerate is not so great.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Joekun

subpopz wrote:

I can't say I ever experienced this or sat around to gain health. Are you cooking food and making medicines? Upgrading gear?

I upgrade my gear/armor. Don’t have too many recipes, but I do have about 5 bottles for medicines. I’m not a big fan of switching to different characters all the time though, so that may have an effect on my life gauge. I’d rather just play as one character and find the switching annoying.

Joekun

Magician

Fifteen hours in, just started chapter three.

Loving it, easily a top-three arpg for the Switch I've played thus far.

It makes me want to fired up the PSP and download Oath of Felghana, Seven, and Chronicles I & II.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ralizah

@Magician I played for a little over 60 hours, and it was a blast the entire way through. Really great introduction to the series. I'll definitely be checking out other Ys games over time.

Joekun

Magician wrote:

It makes me want to fired up the PSP and download Oath of Felghana, Seven, and Chronicles I & II.

We really need a collection on switch! I’d love to play those games.

Joekun

Ralizah

@Joekun Same. I'd buy an Ys Legacy Collection on Switch in an instant.

Tiefseemiez

I like the game and after some hesitation bought it. The graphics really bother me though. In a GameXplain review they addressed this and said they thought this must be a mistake and could easily be patched out.
What do you think? Did the developers talk about this so far?
I can cope with subpar graphics, but the flickering of the pixels pictures that jump (even while standing still and talking to a character) really are annoying. This didn't keep me from getting the game only because I remembered Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and how ugly the first city looked (especially in 3D) and how much fun I still had.
Still, this is Switch and not 3DS....O.o

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

Magician

Eighteen hours in, about halfway through. The game has some pretty jolly vibes throughout the experience so far. The base expansion/progression system reminds me of the Suikoden series, which I love. The game has been enjoyable to the point where I think this could be one of the best games on the platform, if not the best game in the arpg genre on the Switch.

Until Diablo III arrives anyway.

Agriculture

Tiefseemiez wrote:

I like the game and after some hesitation bought it. The graphics really bother me though. In a GameXplain review they addressed this and said they thought this must be a mistake and could easily be patched out.
What do you think? Did the developers talk about this so far?
I can cope with subpar graphics, but the flickering of the pixels pictures that jump (even while standing still and talking to a character) really are annoying. This didn't keep me from getting the game only because I remembered Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and how ugly the first city looked (especially in 3D) and how much fun I still had.
Still, this is Switch and not 3DS....O.o

The flickering mainly happens in some of the outdoor areas. A while into the game I completely forgot about the flickering since I hadn't seen it for a long time, but then I went back to those areas and noticed it again. Most of the game is spared from this flickering, but it's still unacceptable to release a game in such poor condition.

Agriculture

Magician

Thirty-eight hours in, just started chapter six. It feels like the story is wrapping up. I still can't get over how well the progression system, crafting system, and character development are all so well paced. The question now is, what do I play next?

Introspect

I just picked up a Switch yesterday. Been having the urge to play a JRPG lately so I picked this up as my first (and only, as of now) title for the console. Not even an hour in so far. Look forward to delving in deeper.

Introspect

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic