Forums

Topic: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA

Posts 201 to 220 of 228

Quarth

How much approval rating do you need to get the true ending? I’ve heard both 150 and 200. Right now I’m at 157 or something and it feels like I’m getting pretty close to the end of the game. I’ve done almost all quests (some I sadly missed as the time ran out), found all castaways, did all raids when called upon, etc.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Ralizah

@Quarth 200, I believe. Don't forget to give people special gifts, go back to S-rank older raids and hunts, fill out the map 100%, keep defeating Master Kong with different characters, find all the recipes, etc. There should be at least 300 approval points possible in this game, so I'm sure you can still make the cut-off.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Quarth

@Ralizah Thanks! Sounds like a lot to do, but will give it a try!

EvilLucario

@Quarth 150 approval was for the Vita version I believe. So get 200.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Quarth

@EvilLucario Will try (in the pauses from Dark Souls )!

Quarth

@Ralizah Thanks! I’ve explored 90% of the map already, so I guess I need to do some smaller stuff.

Geobros

I have a question about the game. Is there a way to make an enemy to drop more items or rarer items? I am in chapter 5 and I don't find Essence Stone easily.

Geobros

My Nintendo: Geobros

the_shpydar

@Geobros
There are certain accessories (pendants and such) that you can get that will increase the rare item drop rates, but not sure if there's any other way beyond that.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Gameplay_Matters

I just noticed the game is on sale.

Has anything changed since release? I remember the frame rate being an issue.

Gameplay_Matters

EvilLucario

@Switchcraft The translation is better I think, but performance remains the same.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

Wow, so I finally made it through this game, and I have to say it has instantly become one of my favorite games of all time. Very few compare. Fantasy Life can't be topped as it just had the perfect mix of everything, and the best co-op ever. It's very special. DQ as a whole remains near the top for charm. TMS#FE remains near the top for the world it lived in, the characters, the sheer joy of it. XC2, I thought would remain higher on my list, but certain things hold it back for me. I love it...but... I loved Vesperia but it doesn't quite hit on the same level. Somehow the story and characters and events of this game resonate for me in a way that will remain always haunting me, for better or worse. It's a game that makes me want to immediately replay the 70+ hours after i'm done. And I will not be forgetting it and it's places, for a long long time.

That said, it's also such a depressing game, in a very different way than many. It has such a melancholy hanging over so much of it, but it rarely hits you over the head with depressing tearjerk momements. In a way it's just how casual the characters are (and the game music and themes accordingly) about this melancholy that makes it that much more depressing. Very well written despite shoddy first translations.

Mild spoilers:
I spend so much time just wandering around the ruins just looking at them...how incredibly detailed they are, and just comparing them in my mind, before and after, looking at it through Dana's eyes, effectively feeling with her what that was like to see that that way. It was an addictive type of depressing in a bad/good way but leaves a lasting impression regardless.

Major spoilers:
But the final parting between Dana and Olga will probably be the single saddest scene in any game I ever see. So beautifully done. It didn't hit you over the head with dramatic pain and farewells and swelling music. It kept the "sweet" music theme usually used for happy moments early in Dana's story...it was casual. They knew it was the end, but somewhat silently agreed to pretend it wasn't. Which made it that much more impactful to watch these tragic characters suppressing the reality as hard as they could to make their moments together as it always was. I think that hits harder than any dramatic scripting in context. We already knew what happened. We already saw the farewell message. It revealed nothing, but going form knowing what happened to seeing the impactful final farewell changed the impact of the gravity and perception ten fold. However following that up with the final boss, if they'd played that darned title music that sounds like a Russian ballet with a dramatic disintegration of Dana, I'd have totally lost it, so while the end was abrupt, I'm grateful they didn't ham it. In retrospect, when the theme music sounds Russian, you know you're in for a tragedy. And everything about Dana is the perfect sort of tragic character that resonates with me. And the concept of before and after, looking toward the past that's lost always hooks me an a good/bad way. I was bummed about the short, abrupt, unsatisfactory ending, however I did not know about "true endings" - it sounds like there's a more well rounded ending if I redo the end after maybe buying some of the gift items. all. Not looking forward to re-doing the final boss though. But I also don't want to leave this game world, so it's kind of a win. I was just going to do NG+ anyway. Which I NEVER do.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Magician

Makes me wonder if we'll get a Switch port of the recently released Ys IX: Monstrum Nox?

Here's hoping.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NEStalgia

Honestly I don't even care if it's on Switch, I just want confirmation it's going to be localized at all at this point!

I'd love for the older games to be made available on any modern platform as well. A PSP/Vita trap is a miserable place for them. I even have a Vita still, but can't get myself to pull it out again....but this series tempts me to. PSP...no way I'm firing up the PSP2000 ever again.

I'm kind of bummed that nothing's been mentioned about an English release yet.

Edit: Though I do hope if they do they do better than the first translation of this game. There's some hilarious and shameful outtakes from the original PC release of VIII:

Gems such as "That big hole might be an important location for Dana..."

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ralizah

Ys IX didn't sell well in Japan. They'll want to make their money back on it. There's pretty much no chance that it won't be localized.

I won't get it on Switch, though. The PS4 exclusive parts of Ys VIII ran terribly on Switch, and Ys IX is built from the ground up as a PS4 title. So on PS4 I shall play it.

@NEStalgia I have to imagine relocalizing Ys VIII must have been expensive. Even if they don't care about the integrity of their localization work, you'd think they'd be more cautious this time around if only to avoid unnecessary expenses.

Do you watch anime, by the way? If you haven't, be sure to check out a film titled Your Name. I think it'll really resonate with you.

Glad you finally got around to playing this. It is, indeed, an absolute gem of a game. The true ending is absolutely worth seeing, so I do recommend you either look it up or replay it at some point.

Edited on by Ralizah

Enigminator

@NEStalgia Having played through it myself, I can tell you that you won't be left disappointed with the other ending(I never got the abrupt one). Make sure you have the strongest equipment and high HP; otherwise, you're gonna be wishing to fight that "thing" again.

Edited on by Enigminator

Enigminator

NEStalgia

@Ralizah What parts of VIII were PS4 "exclusive" (yet somehow were on Switch?) The only part that I saw any real performance problems were the sanctuary dungeon under the stupa. where the frame rate dropped heavily. Other than that I don't recall issues, but I'm curious what parts were PS exclusive (and how they were on Switch if they were PS exclusive?)

I still really want to play the older games now.... Why, Sony handhelds, why?

I don't know if re-localizing was that expensive overall - I'm pretty sure the original localization was free from high school student interns or something. Between NISA feeling the need to translate names and titles that were already in English in the Japanese version!!! into something else is bizarre. Bad, pure phonetic translations of katakana カシュ = "Kashu" indicate not even a really basic knowledge of common katakana by the translators, and further straight literal translations of kanji: "Achaozoic 大穴 " = "Archaozoic Big Hole"......I'm assuming half of it was just run through Google Translate and they hoped for the best. That was all on NISA (aren't they bankrupt?)....so I don't know what will happen next time. Though it's funny they couldn't localize it, but then managed to have the whole thing ported to Switch (which Falcom didn't really care about at all.)

I'm so glad they DID localize it properly though. The writing is amazing, and it's criminal to let "I am Error/All your base" levels of translation fail destroy such incredible character writing. The characters really feel like real people I really know, each with their own very distinct speech pattern.

@Enigminator That's good to know about the end.....and yeah....I worry about what lies there after something I read. That doesn't sound fun. To be fair, I got the other one in my first try, but I was down to 1hp a lot and consumed EVERY regenerative consumable I had and barely scraped by (doing it again, I'm not looking forward to) but....the real ending....

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia PS4 exclusive before the PS4 version got ported to the Switch, obviously. Although, yes, I am primarily referring to Dana's optional dungeons where frames dropped heavily, and then the post-game dungeon which was also a performance nightmare. Sharp but temporary framerate dips don't bother me too terribly, but the game turned into a slide show during these sections.

Also, something weird happened with the shadows in the Switch port.

And good god, the dynamic resolution was really noticeable at times.

It was a great time either way, though.

I think you're overselling the character writing. A lot of it is very tropey and typical of what you'd see in most anime, and the plot itself is hot nonsense. Where the game excels is in its superb nesting of various gameplay systems and the way it mixes 3D ARPG gameplay with a Zelda-esque Metroidvanian progression structure.

Oh, and the music is pretty good, too.

It sort of feels like I'm playing a PS2 game at times, which I really like. Dragon Quest XI S is giving me the same feeling.

Anyway, if you want to play previous Ys games, most of them are playable on PC. I think Ys Origins is $5 on Steam right now, actually.

Edited on by Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah is the post game dungeon the one associated with achieving the true ending or is there something else?

Oh yeah, the dynamic resolution. It was horrid in town during conversations where it would toggle back and forth constantly. I wasn't thinking of that.

Tropey, maybe, though you're jaded from oversaturation. I've never watched anime so it's not worn out on me. Good is still good, if the only thing that makes it not good is seeing to many similar things. It may be tropey, but that doesn't negate that each character was very distinct down to speaking pattern and nature..... That's good character writing. They're fleshed out, unique, recognizable individuals even with the tropes. (I'm not anti anime, i just never watched it.. Or really any tv these days)

I don't know about the nonsense plot. Well, barring the last dungeon and epilogue. The details of time travel are always broken, but the themes of loss and the theme of the place you belong having been lost is a poignant real world there in a variety of forms. There's a lot of depth in a lot of that.... Shame they kind of scrapped the meaning by the end but taken without the end...

The gameplay is indeed great, though it takes a while to get into...i blame the monster Hunter style mapping for that curve. But it's not the gameplay that will make me think often of this world. It's the characters, world, and symbolism.

And The music. I need the soundtrack. The high nrg field music makes me want to run and whack things with something. But Dana's various themes are memorable, the town music.. and that darn Russian ballet title theme had been stuck looping endlessly in my head for the past week and a half. I've woken up at night with it in my head j though it was the waiting guitar field music last week...

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

Idk I enjoyed it but I always thought Ys VIII only really succeeded because it did everything above average. Combat was good but not super good (and had diversity and exploit problems, even on harder difficulties), OST was generally just good with a few standouts, and the story was good but wasn't incredibly remarkable.

I'm glad people enjoyed it though, it is a great game. But I struggle to call any part of it excellent.

At the very least it's pretty short and concise. Only took me 40-45 hours to 100% it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic