Forums

Topic: Your Latest Switch Purchase

Posts 441 to 460 of 4,673

FaeKnight

ValhallaOutcast wrote:

@FaeKnight just for a trip down memory lane of horrible games turned to cult classics

Limited Run games are releasing a physical version too

But everyone pretty much acknowledges that it's a bad game. And it's not even an old NES or SNES game. It's an old Sega CD game, as I recall.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Lroy

@FaeKnight For a brief moment there in the 90s FMV games, which NIGHT TRAP was one of the first, were cutting edge. Genuinely got people excited. Alas, history and the rise of negative opinion being perpetuated as fact - like how ZELDA II is bad and always was mentality -has seen the game only deemed notable for being 'so bad it's good'. Worth remembering that the game had also been made in the late 80s but took many years to then be released in its final form. So it was already 'old' in that sense but ahead of its time in that the tech to play video off a disc on a console was yet to be perfected.

Oh and excuse the OVERCOOKED! 2 pun. Hope it didn't put you off your dinner 😜

Edited on by Lroy

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

FaeKnight

Zelda 2 wasn't a bad game, but neither was it a good game. Yes, I played it. Beat the game in fact. But it was more an anger inducing slog then fun time. Especially in the later dungeons.

FaeKnight

Anti-Matter

@DonkeyDiddyKong
"Those joycons look ace! Did you do them yourself?"

I asked my local video games repairman to swap my Neon Red Joy Cons shell with White one. I bought the White Joy Cons shell replacement from Ebay for around US$ 25 - 30.

Anti-Matter

Lroy

FaeKnight wrote:

Zelda 2 wasn't a bad game, but neither was it a good game. Yes, I played it. Beat the game in fact. But it was more an anger inducing slog then fun time. Especially in the later dungeons.

I was referring to the common trend of how certain games are now reported as bad or not liked as fact. The examples I refer to are ZELDA II and NIGHT TRAP. I'm not saying I think they are under-appreciated or good or bad nor am I seeking to counter your own opinions on those games. It was more a simple case of making an observation that games that were actually well-received and predominately praised at the time of their release are now discussed in the modern day as if they were wholly ill-received and objectively seen as bad games at that time. This actually wasn't the case and seldom is. A narrative is built up and then perpetuated via things like YouTube and forum threads and an alternative reality is then believed to be irrefutable fact. Happens all the time about loads of cultural products, not just games.

Anyway, I doff my (chef's) hat to you and wish you a good day.

Edited on by Lroy

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

EvilLucario

@FaeKnight Oh, I disagree with that a lot. Zelda II, before BotW, was actually my favorite Zelda game simply because it wasn't like normal Zelda which for some reason I just can't click with, aside from OoT. The combat and high (yet fair, even in the Great Temple and Death Mountain) difficulty was a lot of fun, and it felt like a prototype version of Soma Cruz's sword moveset from Castlevania: Aria/Dawn of Sorrow mixed with Super Castlevania IV's physics. I loved Zelda II a lot and personally think it gets way more flak than it deserves.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

ValhallaOutcast

The Messenger.....I can’t stop buying

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

ValhallaOutcast

Just noticed not a hero was on sale so that’s my latest

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

FaeKnight

EvilLucario wrote:

@FaeKnight Oh, I disagree with that a lot. Zelda II, before BotW, was actually my favorite Zelda game simply because it wasn't like normal Zelda which for some reason I just can't click with, aside from OoT. The combat and high (yet fair, even in the Great Temple and Death Mountain) difficulty was a lot of fun, and it felt like a prototype version of Soma Cruz's sword moveset from Castlevania: Aria/Dawn of Sorrow mixed with Super Castlevania IV's physics. I loved Zelda II a lot and personally think it gets way more flak than it deserves.

That's fair. Controls were (mostly) pretty solid, but the game I thought had some major flaws. For example the "get hit, fly backwards" bit that lets you easily get stun locked or one hit killed when trying to do platforming sections. Castlevenia and Ninja Gaiden also had that problem, and as a result were far harder then they needed to be anytime precision platforming over bottomless pits was required. And your attack range was (as I recall) barely past your shield, while many enemies could hit you from much further away.

As I said, I didn't think Zelda 2 was a bad game. But it's problems and flaws meant it wasn't a good game either, it was just average. I think a lot of retro game reviewers view these games through lens of modern game design while forgetting the limitations the NES had. Thus they look at common flaws and are overly harsh. AVGN is one such reviewer. Many of the games he lays into were actually fun to play, but they were by no means great games. They were merely average.

Or maybe that's a problem with game reviewers in general. They insist everything needs to be either "great" or "horrible", and don't consider "it's fun, but average" to be a valid place to aim for.

FaeKnight

Harmonie

Just ordered Breath of the Wild.

I know, I said I would wait until it went on Selects, but it is actually a part of a very rare first party Nintendo title sale on Amazon and Walmart right now for $45. Plus, my dog got ahold of my thumb drive with my Wii U copy of the game early this afternoon. >.<

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

OfNullAndVoid

So after saying I was trying to break the mold and not get an RPG, I went out and got Xenoblade Chronicles 2... Of course, I'm enjoying it a lot already, but in the meantime I dusted off some old non-rpg games to play, like Streets of Rage 2 and TMNT (Genesis both). I don't know what it is about those games, but I've replayed them several times throughout the years, and I keep coming back to them.

Switch FC: SW-2457-0400-2143

HobbitGamer

I bought Tetra's Escape the other day, I like it.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

SuperWeird

Just pre-ordered SNK Heroines from the eshop.

SuperWeird

Lalivero

Glad my copy of Okami HD physical came in from Japan this afternoon(was a lot quicker than I expected), though I can't start since I'm glued to Octopath for a bit longer, heh.

Untitled

...formerly - Chriiis

Switch FC: SW-6037-8910-2517

Switch Friend Code: SW-6037-8910-2517

JasmineDragon

Lalivero wrote:

Glad my copy of Okami HD physical came in from Japan this afternoon(was a lot quicker than I expected), though I can't start since I'm glued to Octopath for a bit longer, heh.

Untitled

Same here. I ordered it on Monday, was playing it Thursday night. It's hard to believe you can actually get a game from Japan that fast.

And with that, I really need to take a little break from buying games. In the last few weeks I went a little nuts and bought Okami HD, BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, Crypt of the Necrodancer and Sonic Mania Plus. I also just started getting serious with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which meant I basically abandoned my progress in Dragon Quest Builders and Darkest Dungeon.

I have got to finish some of these games instead of continually buying new ones.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Magician

Add another game to the wall of shame.

Hello Kitty Kruisers (sealed) $15 shipped.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

FaeKnight

Why?

I have to wait to buy another game till next month. I only just bought my switch at the end of last month, and already bought four full $60 games, Captain Toad's Treasure tracker for $40, and Uno. After factoring in store credit, I actually paid less for Uno then a physical deck of uno cards would cost.

FaeKnight

RR529

Okami HD - First played it over a decade ago on PS2, but dropped it shortly after reaching Hokkaido for some reason... Hopefully I'll finish it this time.

It is quite beautiful though, and I'm hooked.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Macalos

Titan Quest love it hope I finish it before Diablo comes out.

Macalos

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic