Forums

Topic: would the switch benefit from a 1080p screen?

Posts 1 to 6 of 6

ragman7777

i mean on its screen not the tv screen. reason i ask is the human eye can only see so much detail

ragman7777

StarPoint

While it would be nice to have a 1080p screen, that would need to be accompanied by a much better battery as well. The power draw would probably increase by quite a lot. I don't play on handheld a ton anyway, so that wouldn't affect me personally.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Narthan

Removed - unconstructive

Narthan

SwitchForce

Power draw would be the biggest factor. Without battery life extending a 1080p would be good but that has to give it longer battery life. Sure having 1080p portable but then you couldn't run off battery for long and if you BOTW that would be quite the power draw.

SwitchForce

JaxonH

Not only would 1080p require twice the power to render double the pixel count, which would severely reduce battery life, games are barely able to hit 720p as it is. A 1080p screen would largely go unused and would actually make games look worse, as a game displaying 720p will look better on a native 720p panel.

On top of that, there are diminishing returns for the increase for a screen that size anyways. So it would result in the vast majority of 720p games looking worse, the few games that could pull off 1080p getting half the battery life, and even then the improvement to visual clarity would be marginal at best.

So no, I don’t think it would. I think it would be a detriment. Which is probably why both the Nintendo switch and a steam deck have opted for a 720p screen.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

• Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic