Forums

Topic: Disappointed by the lack of new exclusives

Posts 41 to 60 of 428

Mountain_Man

BlueOcean wrote:

@Mountain_Man With a wide variety of Wii U and Android ports plus a few last-gen ports, the Switch has thousands of games available but that's not the topic. The topic is new games developed by Nintendo (not ports or outsourced games) for Nintendo Switch.

There's a hell of a lot more available for the Switch than just Wii U and Android ports.

The Mountain Man

chipia

Mountain_Man wrote:

BlueOcean wrote:

@Mountain_Man With a wide variety of Wii U and Android ports plus a few last-gen ports, the Switch has thousands of games available but that's not the topic. The topic is new games developed by Nintendo (not ports or outsourced games) for Nintendo Switch.

There's a hell of a lot more available for the Switch than just Wii U and Android ports.

True, there are also PC, PS2 and Genesis ports.

But for someone who has been gaming for decades and already knows most of these games, and who owns a PC, they aren't all that interesting.

chipia

chipia

MarioBrickLayer wrote:

@chipia The first thing I would say is that this generation isn't over yet, so we don't know how many games we'll end up with! But we all want as many games as we can get from our favourite franchises!

With regard to Mario, I count 5 Mario Games:-
1. Mario Odyssey
2. Mario 35
3. Mario 3D Collection
4. 3D World + Bowsers Fry
5. Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

Most of these games are ports of OLD games, and Mario 35 doesn't even exist anymore, lol! Only Odyssey is a proper new Mario game, like in the old times.

chipia

NinChocolate

BlueOcean wrote:

chipia wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

As several other users have mentioned, HD game development on console is much more resource intensive so it was never going to quite reach the same output as Wii U + 3DS.

I'm not convinced. There are still many 2D games released, many are indie games, but even Nintendo released 2D games like Wario Ware. How are they more resource intensive?

Even for 3D games I'm not sure that this is true. I mean most Nintendo games like Mario have cartoony graphics that are nowhere as detailed as realistic looking PS4 games like God of War or Uncharted, so at least by current industry standards they aren't very resource intense either.

This is a very important remark. It's not the same developing a game like Halo Infinite, Gears 5, Resident Evil VIII or The Last of Us Part II than cartoony games like Nintendo's own games. The investment in time and resources can't even be compared.

The difference is Nintendo more or less has a permanent staff making their games. Such “AAA” Western made games will ramp up and ramp down temporary positions by the hundreds and outsource to asset farms to get their detail-beefy games made

NinChocolate

MarioBrickLayer

chipia wrote:

Most of these games are ports of OLD games, and Mario 35 doesn't even exist anymore, lol! Only Odyssey is a proper new Mario game, like in the old times.

Bowser's Fury is also new. I didn't own a Wii U so 3D World and SMB U Deluxe were new to me. I put over 40 hours into Mario 35, i'd never played Galaxy before, so from my perspective I've had a lot of new Mario on the Switch!

I also loved replaying Sunshine, which I hadn't touched for 15 years.

It wouldn't be the biggest shock if a new Mario game came out next year as a tie in to the movie, no one who knows what else we'll see before the switch reaches end of life.

Edited on by MarioBrickLayer

MarioBrickLayer

Mountain_Man

chipia wrote:

Mountain_Man wrote:

BlueOcean wrote:

@Mountain_Man With a wide variety of Wii U and Android ports plus a few last-gen ports, the Switch has thousands of games available but that's not the topic. The topic is new games developed by Nintendo (not ports or outsourced games) for Nintendo Switch.

There's a hell of a lot more available for the Switch than just Wii U and Android ports.

True, there are also PC, PS2 and Genesis ports.

But for someone who has been gaming for decades and already knows most of these games, and who owns a PC, they aren't all that interesting.

So it's not that there's a lack of games or even a lack of original Switch exclusive games, your primary beef seems to be that there is a lack of the kinds of games that you happen to prefer. Which, okay, can't really help you with that.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

perricn

Lol all the people blaming the pandemic for slow game output... are any of you in the game dev community? They worked us twice as hard from home. Screencast/screen record everything, virtual desktops, progress reports... we made more games than we did in previous years during the pandemic. I think a quick google search will reveal that almost every AAA (my studio is not) output almost record progress in game dev since 2019. We are not the paragons you think we are, for whatever reason. Nintendo is almost as greedy and shortsighted as Microsoft, ubi, ea, activision... I think you’ll find almost all of their business practices suggest as such, if you are able to remove your personal bias.

Fixing joycons, lifeless major titles, N64 subscription is a scam.. I mean the list goes on. You may take solace in the fact that nintendo is roughly 5% less evil than the rest though

perricn

kkslider5552000

My entire opinion of this thread is I'm halfway willing to agree but then I remember the average playtime of the Nintendo games I've played on Switch compared to older systems and remember how underwhelmed I was during much of the Wii U/3DS era and change my mind.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

BlueOcean

I'm a Nintendo fan since the SNES but the topic, again, is not that there are a lot of games available on Switch. You can't count Wii U or older ports because that's not the point of the thread. Most of Nintendo's Switch games are ports that Nintendo are re-marketing with minor additions for their suckers (including myself because I bought Mario Kart 8 DX in spite of owning the Wii U version with all the DLC and of course Super Mario 3D All-Stars that I pre-ordered, as you can see on that thread, in spite of owning all the original games several times). The topic is the obvious (for anyone except blind fanboys) pathetic number of new in-house games and how Nintendo is relying on their suckers more than ever before to buy all their remarketed old stuff at a premium price, including ports and the lame Nintendo Online Expansion. Breath of the Wild is a Wii U game that was delayed one year after being completed until the Switch and the Switch port were ready. This was explained by Nintendo back in the day, it's not a Switch game but a Switch port that delayed the original game (a very profitable decision). Animal Crossing New Horizons was a joke at launch (the Wii U "game" is a spin-off). There is only one 3D/2D Mario game, Odyssey which is more sandbox than platformer. No Mario Kart. No Star Fox. No Donkey Kong. No F-Zero. No Wave Race. No The Legend of Zelda yet.

Just check Metacritic best-rated Switch games and count how many are exclusive. The OP cares about exclusive and new games because many people wouldn't buy Nintendo consoles if it weren't for the exclusive new games because Nintendo's hardware is overpriced and outdated and the controllers are worse every generation.

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/availabl...

1st: Breath of the Wild, the first Wii U port, delayed because of marketing strategies.

2nd: Super Mario Odyssey, new game (1).

9th: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, new game not made by Nintendo.

14th: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, a Wii U port that includes a fixed battle mode that should have been added to the original.

22nd: Animal Crossing New Horizons with big Animal Crossing fans like @NEStalgia calling it the most disappointing AC ever (we have to exclude the Wii U spin-off "game") (2).

28: Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, the third version of the same game that I beat on Wii (and took me hundreds of hours).

31. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, another Wii U port (I have a Wii U, so this is not hate towards Wii U but the opposite) that includes an expansion but you have to buy the full game again. And people complain about other publishers LOL.

33. Fire Emblem: Three Houses, new game but not made by Nintendo, obviously.

48. Metroid Dread, new game not made by Nintendo.

49. Super Mario Maker 2, basically a Wii U expansion, a Wii U port with added features.

65. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, a GB remake not made by Nintendo.

86. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, another Wii U port (same-gen port) that is more expensive than the original game in USA. Has anybody done this before? No, only Nintendo dares.

98. Luigi's Mansion 3, a new game not made by Nintendo (but Nintendo bought the studio recently).

201. Splatoon 2, a new? game (let's count this one though, 3).

217. Xenoblade Chronicles 2, a new game not made by Nintendo but Nintendo acquired the studio in 2007 so it's fair to consider it in-house now (4).

672. Arms, a new game by Nintendo (5).

This is the truth about what Nintendo have made for Switch in-house, FIVE games excluding mini games such as WarioWare (developed by Nintendo EPD and Intelligent Systems).

EDIT: Thanks to @NEStalgia for the corrections.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Anti-Matter

@chipia
Just enjoy Switch games that has been released.
There are tons of Switch games you can choose doesn't matter they are ports / remaster / whatever.
Be granted for the current release games.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

BlueOcean

Anti-Matter wrote:

@chipia Just enjoy Switch games that has been released. There are tons of Switch games you can choose doesn't matter they are ports / remaster / whatever. Be granted for the current release games.

@Anti-Matter Aren't you the one always complaining on the Xbox Thread and on Pure Xbox about the original Xbox dancing games that are not available on Series X/S?

BlueOcean

Anti-Matter

@BlueOcean
Should i really care if some Switch games are ports / remaster / whatever ?
And screwed Metacritic for saying such thing like that.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Anti-Matter

@BlueOcean
Because Microsoft hate casual and girl gamers, they didn't even try to revive casual / kids / girly games from OG XBOX or XBOX 360 to be played on Series X/S.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Poor @Anti-Matter knows my take on ACNH all too well, but yeah, we can just say it's a very divisive and controversial AC game. If they'd released it with the content of the latest patch a year and a half ago, maybe it would have changed my opinion of it at the time. Someone buying in now may have a better experience, but at best, we can compare it to Cyberpunk 2077.

Minor correction on the 2 Xenoblade games, though, Monolith actually is 1st party Nintendo-owned (Iwata bought them prior to XC1). But to counter-that, Smash is made by Sora Ltd & HAL Labs with assistance from Bandai-Namco, and is, in fact, not made by Nintendo....

All in all, yes, extremely true, Nintendo has produced horribly few games. If nothing else it reveals maybe how important Miyamoto was to handling the day to day operations of development. Ever since he moved to film and theme parks and Takahashi took over, their output dropped to less than a game a year.

Edit: Oh, and ARMS missed the list which was first party.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

kkslider5552000

"Not made by Nintendo" is an invalid complaint, since most good exclusives (not just Nintendo) across the board are made by 2nd or 3rd party devs. Since the N64 when they relied heavily on Rareware, Nintendo's own internal developers have never made up the majority of worthwhile exclusives published by Nintendo.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

BlueOcean

Anti-Matter wrote:

@BlueOcean
Should i really care if some Switch games are ports / remaster / whatever ?
And screwed Metacritic for saying such thing like that.

I know you get confused and don't understand often. My point is that you are criticising exactly what you do elsewhere. You always complain about the Xbox library because it doesn't have the ports you want it to have (which are related to licencing issues as have been explained to you one thousand times) and now you are criticising the OP because he wants new games. Metacritic is used here just to show all the important games, I looked until I found Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at number 217, it's not used here to say what of the games are better or worse but to list them.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

BlueOcean

@kkslider5552000 That's not true, Nintendo have always made more key games in-house before Switch and that's the topic. I accept Wii U as an exception because they killed it just a few years later because it didn't sell as expected. I remember I asked Nintendo Life what they were going to write about for one year because there weren't any Wii U games or worthwhile news and the Switch wasn't released until 2017.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

BlueOcean

@kkslider5552000 And what? Intelligent Systems? They are not owned by Nintendo, they are hired by Nintendo.

@NEStalgia Thanks, I added your corrections to my comment. I also added a line with the mini games. I completely forgot about Arms but in my defence it is #672. I have all Smash Bros. games except the Switch entry so I just messed that up. I didn't know that Nintendo purchased Monolith a long time ago. Actually, Xenoblade Chronicles X, my favourite Wii U exclusive, has lines that I would have never thought that were approved by Nintendo.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

BruceCM

So, never mind a few I know that got a Switch primarily for Fire Emblem? It's still exclusive & there's various factors to cover why there are less of them

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic